Can kids order adult meals?

emcamm

Of course! My kids ordered salmon, steaks, ribs, etc. They had no problem whatsoever with a child ordering off the adult menu, well at least NCL didn't. In fact, some of the items on the kids menu weren't available so be sure to ask before she gets her mind set on something if she does order off the kids menu.

You betcha!!!! That's all our 4 yr old orders from. Chicken nuggets & mac&cheese? Not when she's paying full fare & she's not a picky eater so it's a great time to experience new foods!!!

She loves shrimp cocktail so have that every night as an appetizer and then a nice "adult" dinner!!!! Her fav so far was a scallop risotto that she gobbled up w/ lightening speed!!!

I think your mixed up with your food groups. Dairy, eggs and seafood and you say he's a vegetarian? Great comic relief. It reminded me when we had a formal night dinner with a couple from Newport Beach CA and she told the waiter she was allergic to seafood so she's having the lobster tail. I laughed so hard I was crying. Of course I did not laugh at her, I waited to after dinner and repeated that line to my wife and then I cried with laughter.

woops. I apologize I was just laughing I forgot that was a serious question. By all means let the young man experiment with different foods. I have learned a great deal about food from cruising myself. I have tried foods on the cruise I never knew about. My favorite was tuna carpacchio, I thought it was only beef.

I think your mixed up with your food groups. Dairy, eggs and seafood and you say he's a vegetarian? Great comic relief. It reminded me when we had a formal night dinner with a couple from Newport Beach CA and she told the waiter she was allergic to seafood so she's having the lobster tail. I laughed so hard I was crying. Of course I did not laugh at her, I waited to after dinner and repeated that line to my wife and then I cried with laughter.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-different-kinds-of-vegetarians.htm

Our 8yo is a lacto-ovo-pesca vegetarian (eats dairy, eggs, seafood) and the kids menu in the dining hall seems very limited for her. Can she order from the adult menu instead?

So she eats everything except meat and chicken? And yes she can eat off the adult menu, from the buffet, and from the various pizza and ice cream stations around the ship. It is unlikely that she will go hungry- most kids have the opposite problem- where in the stomach to put one more bit of food. Not necessarily what you would want in there, but hungry? Doubtful.

I think your mixed up with your food groups. Dairy, eggs and seafood and you say he's a vegetarian? Great comic relief.

You should do some research before opening your mouth up about something you know little about.

She doesn't eat land animals because of a potential allergy to the growth hormones. I had a SEVERE reaction to these when I was a child so she is raised without them. Once she hits puberty she can choose to eat whatever she wants but has no current interest in eating any meat. Being lactose intolerant she consumes only small amounts of dairy so there isn't a big issue with the hormones in dairy.

Thank you to everyone who gave me a serious answer. :D I was looking at some of the potential menus and I think she's going to love the seafood dishes. I was definitely eyeing the shrimp cocktail for an appetizer as well.

We're definitely looking forward to our first cruise next month!

I am curious- what kind of a response and how was it determined that it was to growth hormone? You make your own growth hormone so it has to be more specific than that.

When I was younger I *never* stopped growing. All kids go through growth spurts and then slow down in growth before having another one. They charted my growth and it was basically a line straight up. My parents looked into this when I was 7 as I started growing body hair, developing, and was really large (not just tall) for my age. They did a bone scan and at the age of 7, I had the bone structure of a 12 year old. I was in grade 1 yet I was the same size as the kids in grade 6! I was in and out of Children's hospital for many tests for the following months (ultrasounds, blood tests, etc) and they made the diagnosis that it was the growth hormones that were given to animals to beef up that I was reacting to.

When I was younger I *never* stopped growing. All kids go through growth spurts and then slow down in growth before having another one. They charted my growth and it was basically a line straight up. My parents looked into this when I was 7 as I started growing body hair, developing, and was really large (not just tall) for my age. They did a bone scan and at the age of 7, I had the bone structure of a 12 year old. I was in grade 1 yet I was the same size as the kids in grade 6! I was in and out of Children's hospital for many tests for the following months (ultrasounds, blood tests, etc) and they made the diagnosis that it was the growth hormones that were given to animals to beef up that I was reacting to.

Gosh, that's amazing. This is probably a stupid question but where you live is there ready access to organic and free range meat? I only like to buy organic free range meat in the UK because I don't like the idea of the hormones given to battery chickens to make them grow fattier and more quickly so I only ever buy free range organic as they're much more as nature intended.

I was reading about food allergies and I read (can't remember where) that studies had shown that children who weren't exposed to certain foods or food groups from a young age were more likely to be allergic to them so as you're worried about your daughter having a *potential* reaction to the growth hormones in meat, have you ever given her a small amount of organic meat?

Also, it's good that she's getting protein from eggs and seafood etc. but - and I'm sure you already do this - it's always worth checking that the eggs are also organic and from free range hens, and that the fish your DD's eating doesn't have high levels of chemicals in. Over here in the UK they have recommended age limits and recommended amounts of certain types of fish and seafood because of chemicals (natural or added) found in the fish.

And our DD almost always ordered from the adult menus on her last cruise and being a steak lover and a huge meat & vegetable eater I'm expecting her to do the same on Freedom.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Kind regards, Spanner :)

My DD ordered off the adult menu at 21 mos on RCCL, at 3.5 and 8 on Carnival, and now at 9.5 on HAL (DS also ordered off the adult menu on HAL at 4.5 and Carnival at almost 3).

The funniest was when DD ordered from the adult menu at 21 mos -- she announced as we left the cabin for dinner that she wanted rice, spinach, and shrimp for dinner. This made me very nervous and I immediately started warning her that that might not be a choice, etc, etc, but low and behold when we got to the dining room exactly that was one of the menu items!!! I guess she was channelling the galley or something!! :p The server really got a kick out of serving that big meal to such a little girl!

My 8 year old and 15 month old ordered off the adult menu. 8 nights of chicken nuggets or mac and cheese, yuck! They are great eaters and liked the selections from the adult menu better most nights. This was on RCI the Independence of the Seas

My 2 year old grandson mainly ate from the kids menu, but one night our waiter told us he was getting the steak from the adult menu. He said it was very tender and he would love it. He was right! My grandson loved it and ate more than my 12 year old!

My 2 year old grandson mainly ate from the kids menu, but one night our waiter told us he was getting the steak from the adult menu. He said it was very tender and he would love it. He was right! My grandson loved it and ate more than my 12 year old!

Yep always listen to the waiter's recommendations. They know what's good (or what people have been sending back or leaving uneaten).

Yep always listen to the waiter's recommendations. They know what's good (or what people have been sending back or leaving uneaten).

You are right about that! Many times we would try to order something and the waiter would give us a funny look and say how about you try _______ and I'll bring the other thing as a side. At first we were kind of annoyed because he wouldn't just let us order what we wanted but he was right on every time. The original thing we wanted to order usually wasn't very good and only got partially eaten but the item the waiter suggested was always wonderful and completely gone!

You gotta love a good waiter!

You should do some research before opening your mouth up about something you know little about.

She doesn't eat land animals because of a potential allergy to the growth hormones. I had a SEVERE reaction to these when I was a child so she is raised without them. Once she hits puberty she can choose to eat whatever she wants but has no current interest in eating any meat. Being lactose intolerant she consumes only small amounts of dairy so there isn't a big issue with the hormones in dairy.

Thank you to everyone who gave me a serious answer. :D I was looking at some of the potential menus and I think she's going to love the seafood dishes. I was definitely eyeing the shrimp cocktail for an appetizer as well.

We're definitely looking forward to our first cruise next month!

Interesting. I have never heard of a growth hormone allergy.

What kind of a reaction did you have? How does one test for a growth hormone allergy? Are these different than human growth hormones? Why does it end with puberty?

I guess you are following the issue of transgenic animals quite closely, especially fish.

Archived