Now that I made final payment the price went down!

mjbelen

I just had a feeling this this was gone to happen. Just after everyone on my sailing had to make their final payment, the cost of the cruise went down.

Will Princess ever give either refunds or shipboard credit for a price drop once that final payment has been made?

I just had a feeling this this was gone to happen. Just after everyone on my sailing had to make their final payment, the cost of the cruise went down.

Will Princess ever give either refunds or shipboard credit for a price drop once that final payment has been made?

The cruise lines do this to sell empty staterooms. These flash promotions are almost always designated 'for new bookings only' on Princess.

Just keep in mind that those that take adavantage of these last minute deals don't get the same stateroom choices others that booked earlier were able to pick from.

Almost any sailing that has a certain percentage of unsold cabins still available after final payment date will show a price drop to fill these staterooms.

No, I doubt that Princess will ever allow everyone to get these flash promotions in the form of a credit or refund, the book work would be a nitemare, if nothing else.

Next cruise, if you don't care where your stateroom is located, or don't have a preferred category, and your cruise is not seeling very well, wait until a few days after final payment date for the choice of what is left in staterooms and the best in rock bottom prices. ;)

Enjoy your cruise!

We select our trips based on what to us is a good value at the time we purchase it. If its not a value, we don't go. So, I have a practice of never looking at the price after final payment since when I forked over the cash I was satisfied with the cost. Its like asking people on an airplane how much they paid for their ticket...irrelevant. I bought my ticket and that's that. Don't potentially ruin a trip over the price paid difference.

Maybe OBC but I doubt refund. We were able to cancel and rebook after final payment at the lower rate. We went from the inside gty to an aft balcony for not much more, more of an up-sell. If the first CSR says NO, try another. No might simply mean you didn't ask the right person. Once you book, it might still make sense to look. We got lucky and was very happy to book at the rate meant for new bookings only. With the cancelation of our old booking, they returned the fuel surcharge which was originally was going to be an OBC. Some airlines do provide credit after booking and price drop, using this site www.yapta.com.

The same thing happened to me. I called my TA and she was able to swap one of our obstructed view to a non obstructed view and an inside cabin to an obstructed view. No refund since the price drop was a result of a flash promotion.

Princess is pulling a 'fast one'...mainly because we as their clients aren't complaining bitterly re: this policy of no OBCs or rebates after final payment..

RC always honors price drops, even after final payments - just got another nice chunk credited to my cc after my final payment on my cruise to Alaska..

Seems RC can handle the 'nightmare' of bookkeeping even if Princess can't :/

Yes I agree, better selection of cabins if booked early and because they know RC will rebate folks do book early on RC!! Wld work that way for Princess also!

Princess cld stop this 'flash promotion' business (which is done so they can use it as an excuse not to give rebates or OBCs) and be just as capable as RC of filling their ships plus cld give their pax a break on the prices.

If RC can do it why can't Princess but more importantly, why do we put up with this?

Do u enjoy paying a lot more than someone who books last minute or after final payments are made -

I don't!! :(

Probably not. When prices are lowered after final payment, the new rates apply to new bookings only.

Princess is pulling a 'fast one'...mainly because we as their clients aren't complaining bitterly re: this policy of no OBCs or rebates after final payment..

RC always honors price drops, even after final payments - just got another nice chunk credited to my cc after my final payment on my cruise to Alaska..

Yes I agree, better selection of cabins if booked early and because they know RC will rebate folks do book early on RC!! Wld work that way for Princess also!

Princess cld stop this 'flash promotion' business (which is done so they can use it as an excuse not to give rebates or OBCs) and be just as capable as RC of filling their ships plus cld give their pax a break on the prices.

If RC can do it why can't Princess but more importantly, why do we put up with this?

Do u enjoy paying a lot more than someone who books last minute or after final payments are made -

I just dont get it.. why should you expect a price drop? you purchase the goods at a price you are happy with at the time of booking. I dont see why anyone should get a reduction should princess see the need to reduce the price to fill the cruise.

If you buy a TV from a supplier then find out 3 months later its cheaper, do you go back for a refund of the difference?

Perhaps it is this constant pressure from our esteemed American friends constantly checking price, asking for reduction, checking price, asking for reduction the results in the cruise lines not paying staff enough so they dont have to rely on tips. Just a thought..

In UK, the price you pay at booking is never reduced afterwards... so instead of being such a skinflint just be happy with your holiday and the fact your not "stiffing" the crew more by paying the right amount.

And funny how we have to "adhere" to the american style of tipping cos its a US vessel but we dont get the "american" style of booking and after purchase reductions. Funny that eh.

In my experience Princess does not lower after final payment nor up grade !!!

Lately I am realizing there is no point in booking early -people who buy after me get a mUCH better deal.Not fair but REALITY !!!

:( :( :(

HERE HERE!!! Very well said. I have friends who have received the lower price after final payment with RCL. They agreed to sail Princess with us and we had this same problem for our 2/1 sailing on CB. Boy were our friends steamed when they found out Princess doesn't have the same, customer-centric policy. We fought to the nails and eventually received OBC but not for the total amount of the price drop. Princess could do better, but unless we all stop booking in advance and wait for flash, they will probably continue to frustrate the heck out of people.

This isn't a policy that Princess has just instituted, it has been like this for many years. A fast one? I honestly don't consider this a 'fast one' if it's been their policy almost forever!

RCI does things one way, Princess another. They are two different cruise lines and in no way related! Do we like it? No! But if we wish to change to a different cruise line without this policy, we are free to do so. ;)

I just dont get it.. why should you expect a price drop? you purchase the goods at a price you are happy with at the time of booking. I dont see why anyone should get a reduction should princess see the need to reduce the price to fill the cruise.

If you buy a TV from a supplier then find out 3 months later its cheaper, do you go back for a refund of the difference?

Perhaps it is this constant pressure from our esteemed American friends constantly checking price, asking for reduction, checking price, asking for reduction the results in the cruise lines not paying staff enough so they dont have to rely on tips. Just a thought..

In UK, the price you pay at booking is never reduced afterwards... so instead of being such a skinflint just be happy with your holiday and the fact your not "stiffing" the crew more by paying the right amount.

And funny how we have to "adhere" to the american style of tipping cos its a US vessel but we dont get the "american" style of booking and after purchase reductions. Funny that eh.

hear hear - well said seb. However, if US passengers were treated in the same way as UK and Australian passengers, then the cruise lines would soon fold as a lot of them always seem to be chasing the absolute rock bottom cruise price. The only benefit I have ever been given by Princess was when, the day after paying in full, the price of the balcony cabins on my Sea Princess cruise dropped through the floor. All Princess would do for me, as a UK passenger, was to upgrade me by two balcony cabin categories (I had booked the lowest guaranteed balcony). How I wish we could get just some of the perks - I don't even mind if it is a little bit of obc, if they really can't run to giving us the same price reductions as US passengers:(

I also don't see why people are upset at this. It's really like going to the store and purchasing a nice new coat --- you get a great selection of sizes and colors and styles, you love it, and you feel you paid a fair price. Eventually, what's left of the stock may well go on clearance-- but you certainly wouldn't get the selection you got earlier, and you would also take the chance that none were left. I've never heard of anyone going back to the store and demanding the price difference. And for what it's worth, NCL won't honor price drops after final payment either.

Yes, if the price of a t.v. goes down within the return policy time frame, you can go back to the store and get a refund for the difference. Sorry the UK has cheeky policies. You can always move to the states if you like ours better. And by the way, flash promotions, regardless of how long they have been going on, is a stupid way to do business. Princess is only cheating themselves because as you say, so many "game" the system. Now if they always fill-up, then there is obvioulsy a market price that people are willing and able to pay. What Princess should do is have an EBD policy so early bookers are incentivized to give Princess cash flow to work with and piece of mind that ship is filling up at above "flash" prices. Don't discount last minute, just raise prices gradually as ship fills. Duh, this is what airlines do!

I also don't see why people are upset at this. It's really like going to the store and purchasing a nice new coat --- you get a great selection of sizes and colors and styles, you love it, and you feel you paid a fair price. Eventually, what's left of the stock may well go on clearance-- but you certainly wouldn't get the selection you got earlier, and you would also take the chance that none were left. I've never heard of anyone going back to the store and demanding the price difference. And for what it's worth, NCL won't honor price drops after final payment either.

Exactly!

YES, you can. It all depends on where you shop and whether you keep your receipt. A lot of stores will make an adjustment on you bill if the item goes on sale within 30 days. At higher end stores, you can return it up to a year later. Princess does offer adjustment, of sorts, after final payment. As with RCCL, they are a bit different. Unlike Princess, the agents cannot discount their rate upfront. With some of the going rates I have seen on NCL, I hope they don't give price drop. 7 nights Mexican Riviera starting at $249, gooness the crew has to eat :-). Each uses a different pricing, how to fell the ship, startegy. It's a marketing strategy and sometimes prices do go up after final payment or close to booking. This is typical of Carnival which has lower prices in the begining but increase in the end. In the last 5 years, I have booked several times with all three :-)

As with most things Princess, inconsistency is the corner stone of their operation. You can get price difference from the store and Princess will adjust your fare after price drop. The big difference is that most stores are clear on thier policy and it's even printed on your receipt. It's no longer once you book don't look. Travel is changing, even airlines give adjustments.

Wow.

I agree with what someone else has said, if you have such a problem with Americans...then don't travel with them.

Don't be so prejudice towards Americans as a whole. I know that every country has a**holes...you might even be one from yours.

That being said, I think that it is completely SMART to pay attention to the rules and not pay more for something than you have to.

However, as someone else mentioned...you can't reduce your airfare after the purchase has been made. When you make most any travel plans you are gambling. I have been on cruises where the cabins have sold out months in advance, and I have been on cruises where they were giving away the cabins right before the sail date. I like to book ahead...we are planners. You can always become a last-minute shopper, but you might not get the cabin (or even the trip) that you want.

KJ-I have sailed on 22 Princess cruises, and have used some of the top selling Princess travel agents in the business to book my cruises from. I have NEVER been able to get a refund or price decease as shipboard credit on any Princess cruise in all of these years after final payment date.

Occasionaly, Princess runs a special that is not a 'flash promotion' and is not for 'new bookings only' and you can get a price refund or shipboard credit for the difference. But 95% of the time (or greater), Princess (or it's agents) will not give you anything if the price drops after final payment date, in our experiences.

I don't like to get new Princess cruisers hopes up that they will receive it. All it causes is hard feelings. Should they call and check if they can benefit from a price drop after final payment? Sure, why not, it only takes an email or phone call, but don't get upset if you can't benefit from this, as said, most are flash promotions for new bookings only.

If you buy a product (coats, tv's) you used the product already so you can't compare it to a cruise you haven't taken yet. The only way to compare that TV to the cruise would be AFTER you took the cruise.

If Princess wants to stay competitive they need to pacify their members by allowing them to take advantage of fare reductions up to sailing. If they want people to book early they need to drop the price of people who paid more and call them.

Have you ever seen mark downs in the grocery stores? Many people only buy day old bread because of the reduced price. If people carry that philosophy to the cruise then people will only book within 70 days of sailing to get that markdown and Princess will have an occupancy rate problem.

On our last cruise, 28 days on Pacific Princess, we not only got an upgrade from guaranteed balcony to a BB after I complained about the cabin originally given to us, but also a huge refund back to our credit card, since the price had dropped considerably after the final payment. This was done the week before our sailing. My TA does lots of business with Princess and she got all this for us after I called her.

KJ-I have sailed on 22 Princess cruises, and have used some of the top selling Princess travel agents in the business to book my cruises from. I have NEVER been able to get a refund or price decease as shipboard credit on any Princess cruise in all of these years.

Occasionaly, Princess runs a special that is not a 'flash promotion' and is not for 'new bookings only' and you can get a price refund or shipboard credit for the difference. But 95% of the time (or greater), Princess (or it's agents) will not give you anything if the price drops after final payment date, in our experiences.

I don't like to get new Princess cruisers hopes up that they will receive it. All it causes is hard feelings. Should they call and check if they can benefit from a price drop after final payment? Sure, why not, it only takes an email or phone call, but don't get upset if you can't benefit from this, as said, most are flash promotions for new bookings only.

I knew to keep an eye out because last Spring when I sailed Carnival and my friend sailed Princess, she got OBC after a price drop. Everyone must know about all, you book at a price, choose a cabin that you can live with. The rest is luck of the draw. For me the only thing I have staying up is hope, so as a newbie, I don't mind that glimmer;)

I tend to book early, so i get the cabin I want. I watch for reductions, but after final payment I don't look anymore. I realize the system. The other option is to wait until after the final payment for that sailing, then book your cruise.

I don't understand the American bashing. Why do you write those comments about the Americans. The Seb350 comments I find offensive. He states that he adheres to the US tipping because it's an American vessel. I must point out to you this is NOT an American vessel the flag on the stern is an Red Ensign. There are no ships that have the American flag except the NCL Pride of America and the Aloha spirit and they are in Hawaii. I was having drinks at the piano bar and sat with a UK couple. I tipped the server 5 bucks for getting my wife and I two drinks along with two glasses of water. The Brit had the nerve to ask me why I did that. He said I ruin it for others becasue now the waiter expects that. I could have squared him away immediately but I was withmy wife and he was also with a lady. He then made conversation and said in the US when a child is born the spank their bottom to make them cry but in the UK the pry open thier little fingers. He doesn't realize how the joke is on him. Don't bash Americans because we are generous or because some of us try to get a a beeter rate when prices go down. I have made the same request. I did not get any OBC or refund but upgraded to a more expensive room than what I originally paid for. We are knowledgeable people who practice consumerism. I assume you do not know of or understand that concept.

1) all the ref. to buying in stores ALL mention a return policy time frame ex: 30 days. after that OH Well. so cruise lines have the same time frame. some are more lenient than others, but if you do your homework before booking, then might be able to base your choice on ALL factors. and go with the one who meets all of your criteria.

2) same goes for cruises, once you pay the final cost, that's it. you get an EBC for booking early and till pay that final payment, you get all discounts that might come up.

3) if you like living on the edge and want to wait till last min to book then accept the consequences of not getting cabin /deck level choices you may want. and for some reason, have a feeling, you same people who are complaining now will complain then for not getting what you want.

4) don't like the policy of cruise line, then there are plenty more out there, stop bashing the one line.

5) as for knocking the europeans here, they seemed to me to be only expressing their opinions @ the way business is done, just like others are doing about cruise line policies. so we shouldn't be bashing them for complaining when some of you are doing the same, just about diff things.from a diff country.

6) one more bit about last min booking, the cruise before ours, ours & the one after ours are all booked full, & have been for @ 2mos. so in this case, waiting till the last min, you would have lost out. it's a chance you take to get a cheaper price.

7) to me, a cruise is a fantastic price anyway you look at it, hotel room, all the food can eat or want, entertainment, activities, pools, sun, seeing 3 or more diff places and meeting so many interesting people. go to the Caribbean for 6 nights, stay at a diff island each night, pay for the transportation to get to each of the islands, and pay for all the food, etc individually and then talk about getting another couple of hundred off your cruise.

thank you

Archived