Now that I made final payment the price went down!

mjbelen

I just had a feeling this this was gone to happen. Just after everyone on my sailing had to make their final payment, the cost of the cruise went down.

Will Princess ever give either refunds or shipboard credit for a price drop once that final payment has been made?[/quote]

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS:D;)

KJ-I have sailed on 22 Princess cruises, and have used some of the top selling Princess travel agents in the business to book my cruises from. I have NEVER been able to get a refund or price decease as shipboard credit on any Princess cruise in all of these years after final payment date.

Occasionaly, Princess runs a special that is not a 'flash promotion' and is not for 'new bookings only' and you can get a price refund or shipboard credit for the difference. But 95% of the time (or greater), Princess (or it's agents) will not give you anything if the price drops after final payment date, in our experiences.

I don't like to get new Princess cruisers hopes up that they will receive it. All it causes is hard feelings. Should they call and check if they can benefit from a price drop after final payment? Sure, why not, it only takes an email or phone call, but don't get upset if you can't benefit from this, as said, most are flash promotions for new bookings only.

No reduction after final payment but also ask if it does not say "New bookings only". When Princess had they BIG BALCONY SALE this last February I called Princess and ask if it was for new bookings only and the answer was not. So I called my TA and got the sale price. Save another $1200 on a already great prices. Could not believe it. This cruise is in October and we know we will never see this kind of prices again. We feel very lucky.

We first cruise was 33 years ago. So We have seen many changes in cruising. The late 70's and early 80's were small ships and white glove service. Not like today. On our first cruise it was a very small outside, but the cabin steward only had 6 cabins, every time you used a towel it was replaced. Our dinner waiter had only 2 or 3 tables. Things are very different today but prices are not that much higher.

I don't understand the American bashing. Why do you write those comments about the Americans. The Seb350 comments I find offensive. He states that he adheres to the US tipping because it's an American vessel. I must point out to you this is NOT an American vessel the flag on the stern is an Red Ensign. There are no ships that have the American flag except the NCL Pride of America and the Aloha spirit and they are in Hawaii. I was having drinks at the piano bar and sat with a UK couple. I tipped the server 5 bucks for getting my wife and I two drinks along with two glasses of water. The Brit had the nerve to ask me why I did that. He said I ruin it for others becasue now the waiter expects that. I could have squared him away immediately but I was withmy wife and he was also with a lady. He then made conversation and said in the US when a child is born the spank their bottom to make them cry but in the UK the pry open thier little fingers. He doesn't realize how the joke is on him. Don't bash Americans because we are generous or because some of us try to get a a beeter rate when prices go down. I have made the same request. I did not get any OBC or refund but upgraded to a more expensive room than what I originally paid for. We are knowledgeable people who practice consumerism. I assume you do not know of or understand that concept.

Why do you have to be so rude:confused: - I cannot believe the 'Brit' said that about prying open babies' fingers - I have never, ever heard anything like that at all. I think you are just taking part in a little of the 'Brit' bashing which goes on, and there you are complaining of 'American' bashing - it's a bit 'pot calling the kettle black' IMHO.

Why on earth would you want to tip $5 for two drinks and two glasses of water. The drinks on board are already way overpriced and already carry a 15% gratuity - it makes no monetary sense considering that you are 'knowledgeable and practising consumerism':confused:'. It appears you are just trying to play the big man to the waiter.

No reduction after final payment but also ask if it does not say "New bookings only". When Princess had they BIG BALCONY SALE this last February I called Princess and ask if it was for new bookings only and the answer was not. So I called my TA and got the sale price. Save another $1200 on a already great prices. Could not believe it. This cruise is in October and we know we will never see this kind of prices again. We feel very lucky.

We first cruise was 33 years ago. So We have seen many changes in cruising. The late 70's and early 80's were small ships and white glove service. Not like today. On our first cruise it was a very small outside, but the cabin steward only had 6 cabins, every time you used a towel it was replaced. Our dinner waiter had only 2 or 3 tables. Things are very different today but prices are not that much higher.

I think this might be part of the problem why some feel they have gotten a refund or OBC in the past and they think they know some 'tricks' to get this after final payment date. If they ran into a cruise that had special pricing that were not flash promotions, this is possible. But most price drops after final payment are indeed for new bookings only. As I had said, it is always good to check, all it takes is an email or a phone fall, but you never can count on these price drops not being in the form of a flash promo.

Ahhhhhhh, and yes, I do remember those days where your stateroom steward would be right in the cabin the moment you left to replace a towel or even just straighten one you might have used. Sometimes I miss those days, others I don't. We sailed on some very old ships when we had this type of service, and compared to todays ships, there is just no comparison. ;)

I don't understand the American bashing. Why do you write those comments about the Americans. The Seb350 comments I find offensive. He states that he adheres to the US tipping because it's an American vessel. I must point out to you this is NOT an American vessel the flag on the stern is an Red Ensign. There are no ships that have the American flag except the NCL Pride of America and the Aloha spirit and they are in Hawaii. I was having drinks at the piano bar and sat with a UK couple. I tipped the server 5 bucks for getting my wife and I two drinks along with two glasses of water. The Brit had the nerve to ask me why I did that. He said I ruin it for others becasue now the waiter expects that. I could have squared him away immediately but I was withmy wife and he was also with a lady. He then made conversation and said in the US when a child is born the spank their bottom to make them cry but in the UK the pry open thier little fingers. He doesn't realize how the joke is on him. Don't bash Americans because we are generous or because some of us try to get a a beeter rate when prices go down. I have made the same request. I did not get any OBC or refund but upgraded to a more expensive room than what I originally paid for. We are knowledgeable people who practice consumerism. I assume you do not know of or understand that concept.

"i could have squared him"..... says it all really

If you are so unhappy with the American way then DON'T book the cruise but quit bashing Americans!!!!!!!

I would be extremely happy to get "the american way" if i could get a discount once i had paid a deposit but what you have to realise is that we seem to get all of the costs and none of the breaks!

p.s. I love america...for a holiday :D

Wow.

I agree with what someone else has said, if you have such a problem with Americans...then don't travel with them.

Don't be so prejudice towards Americans as a whole. I know that every country has a**holes...you might even be one from yours.

That being said, I think that it is completely SMART to pay attention to the rules and not pay more for something than you have to.

However, as someone else mentioned...you can't reduce your airfare after the purchase has been made. When you make most any travel plans you are gambling. I have been on cruises where the cabins have sold out months in advance, and I have been on cruises where they were giving away the cabins right before the sail date. I like to book ahead...we are planners. You can always become a last-minute shopper, but you might not get the cabin (or even the trip) that you want.

lol.. i have no problem with americans....theyre great... they keep the mcDonalds chain in profit..:D

and before the flames.. JUST KIDDIN WITH YA lol

I would be extremely happy to get "the american way" if i could get a discount once i had paid a deposit but what you have to realise is that we seem to get all of the costs and none of the breaks!

p.s. I love america...for a holiday :D

Seems like our American friends are a little sensitive!

While Princess does not have American-flagged ships, it is an US-based operation marketing primarily to US (and Canadian like me) travelers and operates in a manner consistent with typical US consumer expectations. Yeh, it is too bad that Princess doesn't generally give refunds/credits after final-payment but no general marketing strategy that results in reduced profit comes without some cost elsewhere. Either a reduction in service or increase in price elsewhere. Princess has many time/quantity-limited sales throughout the year. Once a particular category is sold-out at that rate you can't get an existing booking re-priced either.

RC always honors price drops, even after final payments - just got another nice chunk credited to my cc after my final payment on my cruise to Alaska...If RC can do it why can't Princess but more importantly, why do we put up with this?

Do u enjoy paying a lot more than someone who books last minute or after final payments are made -

I don't!! :(

RC does NOT always honor price drops. They have their "new bookings only" promotions, too. RC prices also start a lot higher. Maybe they're pulling the fast one, getting people to accept higher prices and hoping they'll get a reduction later. Princess seems to do a better job pricing their cruises from the start.

Toto, I did NOT ask for a refund, just asked the TA to check on my cabin. Having booked a guaranteed BF I figured since there were only a few of them on the ship I'd get upgraded. I didn't care for the location and asked the TA if anything could be done. She called about 20 minutes later and told me that not only were they giving me a BB cabin, but also a refund of over four thousand dollars since the price had dropped so much since I'd made the final payment. The money appeared on my credit card as a refund soon after.

So yes, there are sometimes reductions after the final payment

Toto, I did NOT ask for a refund, just asked the TA to check on my cabin. Having booked a guaranteed BF I figured since there were only a few of them on the ship I'd get upgraded. I didn't care for the location and asked the TA if anything could be done. She called about 20 minutes later and told me that not only were they giving me a BB cabin, but also a refund of over four thousand dollars since the price had dropped so much since I'd made the final payment. The money appeared on my credit card as a refund soon after.

So yes, there are sometimes reductions after the final payment

silvercruiser:

Please read my responses completely and not just in part, if you would please. ;)

I will quote myself from two previous posts on this thread:

QUOTE "Occasionaly, Princess runs a special that is not a 'flash promotion' and is not for 'new bookings only' and you can get a price refund or shipboard credit for the difference. But 95% of the time (or greater), Princess (or it's agents) will not give you anything if the price drops after final payment date, in our experiences."

And

QUOTE "But most price drops after final payment are indeed for new bookings only. As I had said, it is always good to check, all it takes is an email or a phone fall, but you never can count on these price drops not being in the form of a flash promo."

There are a few times when there is no question you can benefit from a price drop after final payment, but they are few and far between, and don't happen too often. :rolleyes:

I think there is a danger here in convincing people that they will likely get a refund or big OBC or upgrade, if in fact the price goes down after final payment. I agree that it is always worth a call, but please remember, it WILL NOT always happen. It seems to depend on the circumstances, and perhaps how full that sailing is. Personally, I try not to look (too often, anyway!) because it will make me aggravated, and that is no feeling to bring into a vacation. If you think you paid a fair price, go and be happy with your deal. It's impossible to always pay the lowest price for everything unless you severely restrict yourself.

I think there is a danger here in convincing people that they will likely get a refund or big OBC or upgrade, if in fact the price goes down after final payment. I agree that it is always worth a call, but please remember, it WILL NOT always happen. It seems to depend on the circumstances, and perhaps how full that sailing is. Personally, I try not to look (too often, anyway!) because it will make me aggravated, and that is no feeling to bring into a vacation. If you think you paid a fair price, go and be happy with your deal. It's impossible to always pay the lowest price for everything unless you severely restrict yourself.

Thank You! At least you understand what I was trying to say.

These price reductions after final payment are like upgrades. One person posts they received one and everyone else wants to know why they didn't. :)

We all live on the same planet. To quote Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"? (I put the question mark on both sides of the quotation mark so as not to offend neither Americans nor Brits.) I agree that we shouldn't bash anyone no matter which side of the pond one is on. If someone has the poor judgment to do so, better to just ignore it, without taking offense and bashing back.

RC does NOT always honor price drops. They have their "new bookings only" promotions, too. RC prices also start a lot higher. Maybe they're pulling the fast one, getting people to accept higher prices and hoping they'll get a reduction later. Princess seems to do a better job pricing their cruises from the start.

U are correct that RC may price a bit high esp to start & does have 'for new bookings only' but so do most cruiselines but RC will honor regular price drops, no questions asked usually and especially AFTER final payment, which is my main 'gripe' with Princess.

Since Princess is discounting after final payment dates then the prices may or may not have been too high also but by keeping them higher till after the final payment date kicks in, they then can drop the rate, without having to rebate or OBC to already paid-up pax! :/

IMO they cld discount before final payment date if the object is just to fill cabins!!

One shldn't ever say 'always' or 'never'... :)

Have happy cruisin'!

Let's do some math.

Caribbean Princess listed as holding 3100 passengers.

Assume after final payment for a 7 day cruise there are 2900 people booked. Room for 200 more (100 cabins).

If the price drops $200 and refunds are given to the 2900 people who are booked, it will cost Princess $200*2900 = $580,000.

So to just break even on that, Princess would have to charge each of the 200 passengers they are hoping to add $2900 for the 7 day cruise.

Looking at the May 10, 2009 sailing, listed past passenger prices (which are what the prices were when final payment date came) range from $499 for an inside to $899 for a minisuite.

If all 200 people were booked at the listed $899 minisuite price, Princess would get $179,800. (And not all the vacant cabins would be minisuites sold at a minisuite price.) A flash sale would bring in passengers. but less than the $179,800.

OK. Since Princess could not sell out at the listed prices, only a flash sale could move these cabins.

Why would Princess refund $580,000 to those booked in order to collect less than $180,000 for the last minute bookings?

Let's do some math.

Caribbean Princess listed as holding 3100 passengers.

Assume after final payment for a 7 day cruise there are 2900 people booked. Room for 200 more (100 cabins).

If the price drops $200 and refunds are given to the 2900 people who are booked, it will cost Princess $200*2900 = $580,000.

So to just break even on that, Princess would have to charge each of the 200 passengers they are hoping to add $2900 for the 7 day cruise.

Looking at the May 10, 2009 sailing, listed past passenger prices (which are what the prices were when final payment date came) range from $499 for an inside to $899 for a minisuite.

If all 200 people were booked at the listed $899 minisuite price, Princess would get $179,800. (And not all the vacant cabins would be minisuites sold at a minisuite price.) A flash sale would bring in passengers. but less than the $179,800.

OK. Since Princess could not sell out at the listed prices, only a flash sale could move these cabins.

Why would Princess refund $580,000 to those booked in order to collect less than $180,000 for the last minute bookings?

I don't know but plse remember, most pax will not even know about it or ask for a rebate or OBC so perhaps $580,000 is a tad high!!

Perhaps we shld ask RC how they manage to do it? :)

Have happy cruisin'!

I don't know but plse remember, most pax will not even know about it or ask for a rebate or OBC so perhaps $580,000 is a tad high!!

Perhaps we shld ask RC how they manage to do it? :)

Have happy cruisin'!

JMOP, but RCCL is in no position to advise Carnival Corporation:D;):)

I agree only a small percentage will request or know about rebates and OBC. Also a very small percentage of travelers log on to travel board/forum, so any effect would be a drop in the bucket. The key is to ask, and realize on each ship and sailing things might be different. This pretty much describes most aspects of Princess for me, as a newbie. Getting or not getting the price drop, won't be only thing you need to be ready to deal with. Sometimes dealing with CSR might not be worth it, even if the cruise is for free. OK, a free cruise is always worth it :-)

JMOP, but RCCL is in no position to advise Carnival Corporation:D;):)

I agree only a small percentage will request or know about rebates and OBC. Also a very small percentage of travelers log on to travel board/forum, so any effect would be a drop in the bucket. The key is to ask, and realize on each ship and sailing things might be different. This pretty much describes most aspects of Princess for me, as a newbie. Getting or not getting the price drop, won't be only thing you need to be ready to deal with. Sometimes dealing with CSR might not be worth it, even if the cruise is for free. OK, a free cruise is always worth it :-)

Wld not advise RC or anyone else to give Carnival Corp advice - Carnival is a well run cruiseline corp IMO anyway!!

So agree with u re: the 'key is to ask' and I do - regularily!! :)

Behind HAL Princess is my favorite cruiseline, esp love the smaller vessels like Pacific Princess..

Wishing u great experiences sailing with Princess.. :)

Don't u think the CC board is great?

Wonderful folks on here - sharing jokes, info, comparing viewpoints, unfortunately some are a bit 'touchy' even a bit - ahhh - belligerent but generally the majority are most generous with their time & info.. :)

Have happy cruisin'!

The way I see it is you agreed to the price that was posted on the given date, your final payment. You had the option to cancel and rebook when the price went down or stick with what you got. They did not make you book the cruise and when you did you agreed to their terms.

Airlines fees change almost minute by minute based on sales. Thanks to change fee's it is almost not worth doing anything about it as you will end up taken a hit in the long run. Not in every case as a relative traveling to Europe had their airfare price drop $350. With the Delta $250 change fee for international they still got $100 back.

Just forget about it and go have a good time on vacation.

Wld not advise RC or anyone else to give Carnival Corp advice - Carnival is a well run cruiseline corp IMO anyway!!

So agree with u re: the 'key is to ask' and I do - regularily!! :) YES

Behind HAL Princess is my favorite cruiseline, esp love the smaller vessels like Pacific Princess..

Wishing u great experiences sailing with Princess.. :)

Don't u think the CC board is great?

Wonderful folks on here - sharing jokes, info, comparing viewpoints, unfortunately some are a bit 'touchy' even a bit - ahhh - belligerent but generally the majority are most generous with their time & info.. :)

Have happy cruisin'!

Without judgment, opinions, or calculations, the answer to the OP of whether Princess gives price adjustment or OBC after final payment is, YES! If I had read some of the posts on this thread, I would have thought don't bother to ask after final payment. Of all the boards/forums, I find CC to be most inconsistent with information, with opinions often posted as facts. It's kinda hard for a newbie sorting through 3 answers to the the same question, with CSR with a 4 possibility. Remember the good ole' days when you booked a trip and got excited just thinking about what it's going to be like:D I still can't get the one information I find so valuable on other boards, where do I book the cheapest trip :-(. I do know asking for this is against the rules....FACT :-)

Archived