Does Anyone get Tired of the Same Sailings

does anyone else get tired of the same sailings, i mean like everytime there is a new ship they go from miami to the same west and eastern caribbean ports. and ships that we can drive to like the explorer and grandeur they both do the same 9 night eastern caribbean ports. and the same 5 night bermudas it would be nice to see a couple 6 or 7 night bermudas. or for example change some of the 9 nights up every once in a while, they could do like carnival does out of baltimore or the same for the explorer and got the the bahamas and florida a couple times but its aways the same itineraries. i know that there are differnt options like mexico on marnier and stuff like that but i mean basically the new ships doing the same thing and the explorer and grandeur. the 9 nights go to san juan, st thomas and st martin the same ports why cant they make it like tortola or st croix and change it up every couple of cruises. does anyone else get tired of seeing this.

I know what you mean. One of the reasons I'm not as excitied about Oasis as other people are is b/c of the ports. There's nothing very exciting about those ports just because I have been to them all before. I like days at sea, but really love ports. So, it's nice when I actually get to go to new places. With that said, I think the Caribbean is beautiful and wish I was there now!

I would like to see RC rotate the ships at the ports. Sailing from NJ it's been the Explorer for years and years. Boston is the Jewel, Baltimore is the Grandeur. Why not mix them around a bit.

Would also like to see a few 10 days out of Florida instead of the regular 7 all the time

Until they see signs of a decline in interest, they are unlikely to move ships around as you suggest. Jewel is only in Boston for a short time every Fall and she has a very loyal following. There is also a certain value in knowing which ships and itineraries are available in a particular market. NCL was exceptionally successful in operating its oldest and smallest ship, Norwegian Majesty, out of Boston to Bermuda for over a decade and only in the last two years have they finally replaced her. Seven day and shorter cruises are becoming the rule rather than the exception because people are taking shorter vacations in these harsh economic times. Don't think for a moment that the people who make up these schedules haven't considered all of the ins and outs when it comes to deploying the ships in their fleet and setting up a mix of different lengths of cruises. The bottom line is uppermost and when shorter cruises are more profitable and popular, that is what they will offer the most of. They still offer cruises in a variety of lengths for those of us who have the time and/or money to afford them. Unless you believe that we are really typical of the average cruiser, don't expect that their plans will exactly mirror our wants and needs.:rolleyes:

OMG, YES!!! I'm so glad you posted this. I actually wrote to RCL to beg them to add some more itineraries in the Caribbean. I'm looking to take a cruise in early 2011 and, I know it's still early, but there is basically NOTHING. Why does RCL think everyone wants to go to the SAME places, over and over and over and over... How many times can you really swim with those sting rays in Grand Cayman??? They've got one small ship in the southern Caribbean. I'm sailing on her in March 2010. If I'm figuring correctly, the week of President's Day 2011, when I want to take my son on a graduation cruise, Serenade will be doing the exact same itinerary that I'm sailing in 2010. It appears all RCL's other ships are doing the same old eastern and western routes I've done before. Not even any less frequented places like Roatan or Belize. I can't afford the 8-9 or 12 day cruises. I think RCL is counting on their ships selling the cruises, rather than the ports. And while I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE RCL and its ships, I chose my cruises primarily for the PORTS.

While i would love to see some new itineraries added (and im all for the southern from fort lauderdale one) I cant say that I get tired of them no...I agree with what someone said earlier..every ship is new people, new adventures, and you make what you want of it. At one point I did the western itinerary 8 times in a row because of friends..and while I couldnt believe I kept doing the same itinerary...well each time was fun because they were different.

I also find that I start enjoying the ship in different ways...not in so much of a hurry to rush off on an island, maybe stay up later at night, things like that.

I just recently did the southern caribbean and loved it,. While the airfare was higher...the cruise was cheaper so to me it was a wash.

As for the Oasis...well to me that ship is the destination..not the ports...so ill be spending lots of time on the ship for that one

I thought we were happy just cruising the caribbean. I love the ships, the food, the relaxation. We took the Mexican Riv. cruise once - wasn't too impressed. So we were already to get back to the caribbean. Then we had the opportunity to do a Turkey/Egypt/Greece tour. Now I wonder if I will ever be satisfied with 'just' the caribbean. It was an exhausting trip but the sights were awesome. We saw the pyramids, climbed Mt. Parnasus, saw the Acropolis and discovered Ephesus. While we can't afford to do this often, I'm hoping we will be able to go on some more 'port intensive' cruises to see more of the world.

We are going to try a trans-atlantic next - repositioning cruises seem to be more economical, longer and a mixture of both styles of cruising.

If I stayed in my own little world, yes. But each of these repeat sailings have the potential of 3000 new friends to chose from. Each cruise is never the same based on the passenger makeup, so each one is a new experience.

I dont cruise to meet people. I enjoy meeting people, dont get me wrong, but Id rather try a few new ports once and awhile. I agree...switch it up a bit

We just loved the "Ultimate Caribbean" 11 night on Brilliance from Florida several years ago. I do wish RCI would give us some longer and different itineraries. We are Diamond + and love RCI's product and ships. But after our 2010 Jewel TA, we will be looking at other cruise lines like Carnival and Princess for different Caribbean itineraries. Not interested in going out of San Juan again. Airfare is too expensive.

We are in the minority - I love the ports we go to. Especially the Southern Caribbean. Yes, would love to have some other ports added, but really don't care. We have been to Nassau more times than I can count, but who cares, I AM ON A CRUISE!!!!!

To me being on a cruise is all that matters. We love the Southern Caribbean the best so try to cruise out of SJ as often as possible. Next year we are going on Oasis - for the ship, not where it is going.

So while it will be great if they add some new caribbean ports, really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. As long as I am on a beach, I really don't care what Island it is!!!

We just enjoy the sailings at this time and are happy where ever we go. We have decided when we get a tadd older we will look for cruises based on the intinery but for now each cruise is another adventure and who will we meet this time.

There was a time I thought I would be totally bored getting off in Nassau AGAIN, but the last time I did that, I went to the beach, something I had not done on 4 of my previous stops there, so now I look at it from a different view. I also found that staying on board is an adventure in itself. Gives me a much better time to survey the ship itself because of less crowding. Aha! I can get a pool chair! I see you are from PA so I am wondering if you had considered the New England cruise? My sis lives in NJ and she is flying down for the Freedom, but I am considering going up by her and trying the Jewel New England cruise for a change of scenery. Truth is, I guess, as long as I am on a ship, I don't really care too much where it goes...

We've been to Bermuda 4-5 times now and are going again in 2 weeks.

Some ports are just better than others, and we really go for the relaxing experience, the ship and Bermuda of course. Plus, we're in NJ and the ship sails 30min away from us, can't pass that deal.

Our primary reason for taking a cruise vacation is for the ports.

I'd like to see RCCI "mix up" their Med and Australian itineraries a bit. We've done their Mediterranean itineraries for the past three years and and looking high and low for something different for European trip in the fall (Oct/Nov timeline).

We'd like to do an Australian cruise, but RCCIs tend to be the Australia to NZ type. Not that I don't want to visit both, I just think trying to do both Aus and NZ would do neither justice. I'd like to concentrate on just one at a time. (RCCI does have one or two interesting "alternative" AUS itineraries a season, but they've never worked with our schedule)

So many of the regular stops on the major cruiseline's itineraries have become one big tourist trap (Juneau, Ketchikan, Santorini all spring to mind) We didn't even consider RCCI's AK itineraries for my DH's family reunion cruise -- RCCI definately uses the "road" most travelled itineraries up there.

Our primary reason for taking a cruise vacation is for the ports.

I'd like to see RCCI "mix up" their Med and Australian itineraries a bit. We've done their Mediterranean itineraries for the past three years and and looking high and low for something different for European trip in the fall (Oct/Nov timeline).

We'd like to do an Australian cruise, but RCCIs tend to be the Australia to NZ type. Not that I don't want to visit both, I just think trying to do both Aus and NZ would do neither justice. I'd like to concentrate on just one at a time. (RCCI does have one or two interesting "alternative" AUS itineraries a season, but they've never worked with our schedule)

So many of the regular stops on the major cruiseline's itineraries have become one big tourist trap (Juneau, Ketchikan, Santorini all spring to mind) We didn't even consider RCCI's AK itineraries for my DH's family reunion cruise -- RCCI definately uses the "road" most travelled itineraries up there.

I'd be seriously interested to see what you would suggest as a more interesting Alaska cruise and if you know if any of the other major lines offer such an itinerary. :)

However, I think that most lines in cruising Alaska offer similar itineraries because that is what their research indicates that most of their guests want. RCI is, after all, a mass market line, and they are pretty much going to offer cruises that have the widest appeal. Those of us who are looking for new and/or more interesting itineraries may have to investigate smaller, and probably, more upscale lines whose product caters to travelers who are looking for new cruise experiences. If RCI doesn't offer what you are looking for, it is probably more advisable to look elsewhere than to expect RCI to change its itineraries to satisfy your expectations.:)

I know there are more places beyond the Caribbean but my dad won't go there he will not go to the mediteranean or Alaska because it's cold and no beaches we did go to Canada but that's it an would never think of going to Asia or Australia for a cruise.

I would like to see some 10 night Southern sailings out of Florida.

I would love this. My hubby wants to go on a Southern so badly, but I am so afraid of flying to PR. This itinerary idea would make him very happy. :D

I have flown into San Juan and it was just as easy and cheap as it was to fly into Miami. Maybe it was a fluke? Not sure!

I agree with the OP. Last year was Southern/Eastern on the AOS, this year was Exotic Western (Roatan, Belize) on the NCL Pearl... next year I am looking at the Jewel of the Seas to go to the Panama Canal. But after that I kind of feel like I've done most of what's available as far as Caribbean ports go.

BUT - never have been on an Alaskan cruise, or a Pacific/Mexican cruise, or a New England/Canada... so I still have many options left.

-aj

Not at all. I don't cruise for ports anyway. I cruise to be on the sea on a beautiful ship, nice balcony, good meals, friendly folks.

The ship could sail out and do "figure 8's" for a week as far as I'm concerned.

Archived