cnn breaking news

BalconyGal

Ouch! This is not good news at all. Time to go watch the news I guess to see what has caused this threat to go even higher..............just hoping it doesn't reach a 6 or .............. well, let's just hope it doesn't.

Toto, I am stuck at my desk...I happened to be refilling my water bottle when I saw the TV...pls keep us posted if you can. Thanks.

Well, right now CNN is reporting that a Pandemic is IMMINENT! This is not good news whatsoever! :(

Just remember, don't panic, and stay away from crowds whenever possible, we all know that things like handwashing and staying out of crowds will assit in the control of the spread of this nasty bug. ;)

Someone needs to gag the media.

We have had over 150,000 people die of the regular flu since January 1, 2009

Less than 150 or so have died of swine flu.

Let's don't overreact folks.

Be informed; but don't panic.

Mike:)

I think the big concen is that the flu vaccine does not cover the current swine flu.

If many people get the flu vaccine, and some don't, the concept of herd immunity exists - that people who didn't get the vaccine may be protected as many around them are protected as they were vaccinated.

With the swine flu, there is no vaccine yet, and thus, no one is immune. Therefore, there MAY BE widespread dissemination of the virus.

The strain in Mexico seems to be much more virulent than the US, but that may change as viruses are know to mutate to stay alive.

Everyone use common sense - pracitce good hand hygeine, and cover your cough. If you are sick (exhibiting flu symptoms), stay away from others, exoecially the very old, very young, or people who may be immunocompromised.

As for current sailings - I feel horrible for passengers. I have missed prots due to weather. Here is an exerpt I have posted on another thread on the Carnival boards. I truly feel that the cruise lines are doing to right thing in staying out of affected areas. ::::::

I have been on cruises where ports were cancelled due to weather. Bummer - but safe in the long run. As medical professional, I would be grateful if I was on that cruise that we were not being put in harms way in the form of a stop in Mexico - even if I didn't get off at port, people coming back on the ship would potentially be bringing back the infection and spreading it to us. The strain in Mexico seems to be much more virulent(over 150 deaths in Mexico so far) that what has been surfacing in the US. I know that being held "hostage" on the ship is no fun, but in the long run, I think that the cruise lines are looking out in the passengers best interest and in turn to national interest - potentially exposed cruisers are not bringing it back to their homeports and infecting others in the US. Although not planned, I would take 7 sea days over getting the flu or bringing it home to my family, any day.

I live on Long Island and near NyC where there was a big cluster of swine flu. Several kids went on spring break to Mexico and brought it back to their families, and ultimatey their schools. Just my 2 cents.

agreed, This is how pandemics start. Its all about the panic and how the work.

I think the big concen is that the flu vaccine does not cover the current swine flu.

Seems to be working in the UK ! .. unless ours is different from yours?

probably more people killed in Mexico from shooting etc in the last 2 weeks that this thing has been around .....the media are causing panic for no reason....:eek:

It is not the media but the World Health Organization who have raised the alert level.

As Neurosurgery NP pointed out, we have no collective immunity to this strain, it is new and therefore unknown how it will behave/evolve.

No one is advocating panic, but concern levels should certainly be raised.

This flu is different than most of what goes around because it has jumped from animals to humans, and now is being passed human to human, suggesting that there has been mutations. There is NO virus against this flu, in UK or anywhere else. There ARE medications which help you to get over it quickly (tamiflu and another one who's name I forget). If you look at graphs of projected incident rates of this kind of flu (which include the spanish flu of 1917, the Hong Kong flu, and the Asian flu) we are at a point where it remains low. IF it follows the possible trajectory, there will be a rapid and very large increase in incidence. And nobody is requiring anyone to check the news every 5 minutes- step away from the computer and read a book for a while and check in only when you want further updates. But it is a situation which is changing rapidly- just in the US we doubled the incidence today. Yes there are few CONFIRMED cases as yet. but who knows how many people are sitting at home a bit sick who actually have the illness. The problem is NOBODY KNOWS. Concerning, yes. But panic does nobody any good.

I can't speak for the UK flu vaccine, but I can tell you that the US flu vaccine does not cover the swine flu. The vaccine for the swine flu is in development in the US but can take weeks to produce once developed. No panic - just caution.

We have no Vaccine against Swine flu in the UK the only treatment we have are anti viral drugs. Our press are also having a field day with this story. Me I will wait for the facts to appear and carry on as normal taking extra care and follow the government guide lines on how to try and prevent becoming infected.

This flu is different than most of what goes around because it has jumped from animals to humans, and now is being passed human to human, suggesting that there has been mutations. There is NO virus against this flu, in UK or anywhere else. There ARE medications which help you to get over it quickly (tamiflu and another one who's name I forget). If you look at graphs of projected incident rates of this kind of flu (which include the spanish flu of 1917, the Hong Kong flu, and the Asian flu) we are at a point where it remains low. IF it follows the possible trajectory, there will be a rapid and very large increase in incidence. And nobody is requiring anyone to check the news every 5 minutes- step away from the computer and read a book for a while and check in only when you want further updates. But it is a situation which is changing rapidly- just in the US we doubled the incidence today. Yes there are few CONFIRMED cases as yet. but who knows how many people are sitting at home a bit sick who actually have the illness. The problem is NOBODY KNOWS. Concerning, yes. But panic does nobody any good.

HUH???? Don't ALL flus come from animals? Mostly chickens....thats why the vaccines are made from chicken eggs.....I think anyway..LOL

We have no Vaccine against Swine flu in the UK the only treatment we have are anti viral drugs. Our press are also having a field day with this story. Me I will wait for the facts to appear and carry on as normal taking extra care and follow the government guide lines on how to try and prevent becoming infected.

Currently, if the news is to be believed, there is NO Swine flu vaccine in existence anywhere. And they said it would be several months before they even come up with one. So, don't feel alone here, the entire world is not vaccinated against this strain!

All the World Health Organization's "levels" mean is that it has been found in more countries near each other. It a technical term.

When it was announced on the news, they said "most people" would never even come in contact with it, much less be infected.

Like FDR said "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself".

Currently, if the news is to be believed, there is NO Swine flu vaccine in existence anywhere. And they said it would be several months before they even come up with one. So, don't feel alone here, the entire world is not vaccinated against this strain!

Toto you are such a kind person :) I did know there was no vaccine anywhere. Lets just hope and pray they come up with one very soon Our Press are saying it could be anywhere between 2 and 6 months. We have to be thankful we are from country's that prepared for a flu pandemic and stock piled anti viral drugs. Just stay safe and well everybody.

It is not the media but the World Health Organization who have raised the alert level.

As Neurosurgery NP pointed out, we have no collective immunity to this strain, it is new and therefore unknown how it will behave/evolve.

No one is advocating panic, but concern levels should certainly be raised.

I don't think anyone said the media raised the alert level. However the media is over dramatizing this to all extremes.

Just minutes ago Charlie Gibson tried repeadtedly to get Dr. Timothy Johnson to say that everyone in the world was at risk of contracting swine flu and Dr. Johnson became a little agitated at that.

How a little thread that started as just a bit of concern over my fellow princess lovers turns so quickly I will never know.

I don't think anyone was acting anything less than calm...just wanting to stay informed. Maybe it's just the New Yorker in me...something about sitting at a desk 260+ feet in the air over the busiest train station in NYC makes you a little bit on edge I guess. :p

Mainly, I wanted to just remind people to take care of themselves.

Amen to that!! LA has 1,000 deaths from the flu per season and they haven't had a single death from the Swine Flu yet. I really do think the media are blowing this totally out of proportion. :rolleyes:

Amen to that!! LA has 1,000 deaths from the flu per season and they haven't had a single death from the Swine Flu yet. I really do think the media are blowing this totally out of proportion. :rolleyes:

Actually many people have died in Mexico and today a child in Texas dieI'm not sure if you were talking exclusively LA or not...just FYI

Archived