Unbelievable last minute pricing

I doubt the military would object if you volunteer to head on over to Iraq and Afghanistan and substitute as a stand in for the bullets. Thanks to them you have the freedom to post such a moronic statement.

Yes. Try that in other countries...

I can make some calls, get him/her a spot over there...wouldn't be too hard.

Teachers are grossly underpaid & under appreciated and true they sometimes chose to work in crime ridden urban areas, but there is no comparison with the soldier that sleeps in a foxhole and takes his/her life in their hands 24/7. In my opinion our military doesn't get enough of a break!

Mel

Although military members do not get to choose, we are also grossly underpaid and definitely underappreciated. Now when I say underpaid, I am talking like there are members on foodstamps. Below poverty rate sometimes, depending on rank.

Although military members do not get to choose, we are also grossly underpaid and definitely underappreciated. Now when I say underpaid, I am talking like there are members on foodstamps. Below poverty rate sometimes, depending on rank.

Are you in the military? I ask because you are very passionate about the subject.

I sincerely hope that you had tongue in cheek with that statement. No disrespect to teachers out there. I know it's difficult sometimes (I've done it). But to compare being a teacher to laying your life down in service to your country. Being willing to die to guarantee freedom, including the freedom to teach ......WOW!!! And, and to think, you shape young minds.

Tears in my eyes....THANK YOU! I also am not meaning to show any disrespect to teachers out there either. I have never been a teacher, except teaching younger sailors.

The original post hit a nerve. It really does bother me that there are people that think this way out there...and then voice it. Yes, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. It is because of our military that we can voice it. I am sure there are many soldiers, Marines, sailors, and airmen that would gladly let that person go in their place.

And just so everyone knows, all services are going overseas to fight, Army, Marines, Navy, and Air Force. I am in the Navy and my family had no clue that we go overseas and fight on the ground with the Army and Marines to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Are you in the military? I ask because you are very passionate about the subject.

Yes. Proud to be.

Those who never have been in the military have no idea the life of a soldier/Marine/sailor/airmen...but I appreciate those that appreciate us...:D

Tears in my eyes....THANK YOU! I also am not meaning to show any disrespect to teachers out there either. I have never been a teacher, except teaching younger sailors.

The original post hit a nerve. It really does bother me that there are people that think this way out there...and then voice it. Yes, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. It is because of our military that we can voice it. I am sure there are many soldiers, Marines, sailors, and airmen that would gladly let that person go in their place.

And just so everyone knows, all services are going overseas to fight, Army, Marines, Navy, and Air Force. I am in the Navy and my family had no clue that we go overseas and fight on the ground with the Army and Marines to Iraq and Afghanistan.

You are very welcome and thank YOU. In the immortal words of John Wayne: "Don't let the bast*rds get ya down". I am VERY proud of you.

And always remember...The only easy day was yesterday...;)

You are very welcome and thank YOU. In the immortal words of John Wayne: "Don't let the bast*rds get ya down". I am VERY proud of you.

And always remember...The only easy day was yesterday...;)

Love that quote by John Wayne.

You are welcome. I am proud to give my part in making this country a safe place to live for us and our children.

Yes. Proud to be.

Those who never have been in the military have no idea the life of a soldier/Marine/sailor/airmen...but I appreciate those that appreciate us...:D

I have brothers, uncles and nephews who have served in all branches of the military and I have a good sense of what they have gone thru and currently experiencing. The wives put up with a lot and so do the children with the constant deployments, changing schools and for many living on the poverty line. Whatever small breaks military personnel receive it still isn't enough in my view.

Thank you for your service and your family's sacrifices. My DH (PRCM) & I AX2) were both Navy. One thing you forgot to say is that our military families protect us and our nation for about 1/2 what teachers and other professions are paid. Benefits are being eroded, too. Retirees are at the whim of whatever flavor is in power. I am not complaining --just explaining, our protectors, no matter what the service, are for the most part Patriots and some make the ultimate sacrifice. I trained Navy personnel but was never a teacher.

However, I am a CPA -- even with years of experience, I made less than a newly graduated teacher for quite a while. I will put my salary/benefits up next to many teachers (Florida) & I can tell you I made less. My retirement is nil, too compared to the teachers.

I am not saying that teachers are over paid, I think there is room for improvement - across the board. There are too many people in entertainment & sports that are paid way too much. Our values have become blurred.

I will get off my soap box -- I want to say I am proud of every one of our soldiers who daily make my family and my security their #1 priority while being so far from home and family. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!

...but this post hit a nerve with me too. After swine flu, the thing I'm most tired of is the niavete' of teachers who think they should be paid more just becuase their job is hard and what they do is important.

I agree that it is an important and demanding job, but its a job in a job MARKET. Pay is determined by supply and demand. And while the job is important and demanding there is no shortage of supply of people who are interested in jobs that:

Have Schedules that mirror their kids schedule

Decent Benfits

All first shift, all the time

Easy Commute

Readily transferable if your spouse moves

Very Rewarding/Job Satisfaction

Crazy good job security

Again I'm not trying to demean what it is that teacher do, my dad taught in public schools for 40 years. But it makes me nuts that there are teachers (and we all have had them) that stand in front of the class and cry "not fair" that I'm not paid based on the importance of what I do. The world doesn't work that way and it makes me nuts that there are so many teachers who think that it should - and they are teaching our kids.

Teacher pay would be better if there were less people who wanted to be teachers. There are plenty of people who do want to teach and that's because it ain't such a bad deal.

Military and government workers are often rewarded with absurdly low rates.

But it seems like hardly anyone does anything for the real hardest working professionals; teachers.

Wow! This is by far the most ignorant reply I have seen in the 8 years I have been posting.

BTW, I saved $10 on my cruise in Oct using the military rate would you deem that absurdly low??

Ignorance is bliss!

This seems to have gone way way off topic folks. High jacking is against the rules. Its one thing to talk about military rates, but to go on and on about if we treat the military folks right is highjacking. Can folks please stick to the topic of rates and what low rates we found rather than this bickering off topic?

ry%3D400

Just wondering if the "real hardest working professionals" live in places like this??

This is where my DH and his fellow Marines lived for close to a year, I would say he more than earned that $10 price cut he rec'd for his military status.

This seems to have gone way way off topic folks. High jacking is against the rules. Its one thing to talk about military rates, but to go on and on about if we treat the military folks right is highjacking. Can folks please stick to the topic of rates and what low rates we found rather than this bickering off topic?

Sorry but threads get hijacked on a daily basis, I am done but I don't apologize for replying. I forgot there are more important things out there to get angry about right??

Air Tran flies to Gulf Port which would be about 4 hour drive to NOLA. Does that help?

Any other small airports in the area and discount air carriers? Amtrak?

It is actually less than 2 hours to NOLA from Gulfport.

Sorry but threads get hijacked on a daily basis, I am done but I don't apologize for replying. I forgot there are more important things out there to get angry about right??

I dont care if folks want to argue and get angry, was just suggesting if they have something else to talk about, and it seems they do, could they start another thread?? I did see a take off thread. Someone started a new thread last night which professions deserve a price cut to start talking about this issue.

Firefly, bless your heart. You are mighty concerned about high jacking and starting new threads. Have you seen that CC is looking for new hosts? I hope you have applied ;)

Yes. Proud to be.

Most of us definitely appreciate your sacrifices...

There was a thread here yesterday (now poofed) discussing military discounts. The overall sentiment was definitely that military families deserve the discount, but three misguided posters disagreed.

I put in a couple of posts, but then gave up with the comments the one poster was making (he wanted to glorify all he had done for his community in lieu of recognizing our service people). I went to bed angry, now the thread is gone...

I dont care if folks want to argue and get angry, was just suggesting if they have something else to talk about, and it seems they do, could they start another thread?? I did see a take off thread. Someone started a new thread last night which professions deserve a price cut to start talking about this issue.

How about single cruisers? Now I am alone, I can appreciate the fares for only 1 in a cabin. LOL

Just booked the Elation for a May 10, 2009 for a 4 day cruise. I later received an e-mail from Carnival because Ensenada Mx was dropped and a sea day was added....a $50 per person OBC was added. Applied my Welcome back Credit of $50 and the cost per person came to $156.10. I just missed the resident rate which was $100 off @person by 1/2 hr. That would put my cruise at $56.10 @person. Bummer

I settled for an OV cat 6b on the Riveria deck for a 4 day cruise for $156.10 @ person. I cannot complain..if only I was a 1/2 hour earlier...I think my TA would not like it for commission reasons..

Archived