Price Gouging?

gliles

We booked an Alaska cruise on Tuesday then on Wednesday for grins checked to see what other cabins were available and the price went up $549 per person, no lie. Now I will say it was an Interline rate and I know those cabins may be limited but wow, I couldn't believe the increase and am thankful that we booked when we did. I said to DH (who was waiting to see if the price would decrease) that we should book because I knew the Mexican cruises were in jeopardy...good thing he listened to me for once! :eek:

Celebrity has some amazing sales right now on their Alaska Itineraries !

As of yesterday, .....

$1046.20 total (including taxes) for 2 people !

May 29 - Jun 5

Millennium

Vancouver to Seward

June 12-19 = $1146.20 total for 2 people !!

Of course, those are inside cabins, but the price is incredible !!

I got this information from the Celebrity website.

Celebrity has some amazing sales right now on their Alaska Itineraries !

As of yesterday' date=' .....

$1046.20 total (including taxes) for 2 people !

May 29 - Jun 5

Millennium

Vancouver to Seward

June 12-19 = $1146.20 total for 2 people !!

Of course, those are inside cabins, but the price is incredible !!

I got this information from the Celebrity website.[/quote']

We got our OV cabins (6/19) for a total of 1256.34 w/taxes, before we took off our cruise credits we had because of Quarantine on last cruise (of 624$) which made a grand total of 632$ we owed, until my DS decided to go along..as 3rd person she only paid 418$ Who could beat these prices??? To bad airfare isn't a bit cheaper!

It is not price gouging, it is supply and demand. The demand was not there when you booked so the price was very cheap (you don't say how much you paid but I'm sure it was cheap). Presumably something changed (like people no longer wanting to go to Mexico) so the price can go back up to what it should be. I'm sure it's still below the list price. Personally, I'd like to see the specific example you are stating, because I don't think it is past the realm of possibilities that you've made a mistake.

Also, you should learn what price gouging means before posting something else like this.

Not sure what you mean. What you are seeing is no different from what occurs all the time, and was more prevalent in the past, and is still happens even in the current market. We are on a E Med cruise and a TA B2B in Nov 09. The E Med cruise has dropped in price about 1/3rd. For the TA, the same cabin is listed $200pp above what we paid 6 months ago.

Also, you may have a 'group rate' which now not available from who you booked with.

Not price gouging, normal business practice. Keep an eye on it.

Denny

Wow, sorry. Rough crowd :(

I just thought it interesting that the same time everyone was cancelling Mexico this trip went up and no I did not make a mistake, I know how to add and subtract.

Sorry for posting my opinion.

I just thought it interesting that the same time everyone was cancelling Mexico this trip went up and no I did not make a mistake, I know how to add and subtract.

I would think it is possible that the problem with the ports in Mexico could have an impact. A lot of people who had those cruises booked could have switched to an Alaskan cruise instead. Not really price gouging but a higher demand for those itineraries = increased pricing. The same thing happens within cabin categories as a certain category can be priced higher when there are limited cabins available. :)

I don't think it's price gouging, but supply and demand, which is general business practice. With many people deciding not to do cruises that include Mexico, Alaska cruises are now hot sellers. They do the same thing in the airline industry where prices change hourly.

Don't be sorry Gliles. For every simple question, or opinion, you'll get slammed with 70% "has nothing to do with the original post" responses, pure guesses from people with no knowledge, or people who just want to argue the point with you, but the other 30% try to stick to the point and be helpful. Brush it off and keep posting. Frankly, sometimes the replies really make me laugh, as they have nothing to do with anything.:)

We booked an Alaska cruise on Tuesday then on Wednesday for grins checked to see what other cabins were available and the price went up $549 per person, no lie. Now I will say it was an Interline rate and I know those cabins may be limited but wow, I couldn't believe the increase and am thankful that we booked when we did. I said to DH (who was waiting to see if the price would decrease) that we should book because I knew the Mexican cruises were in jeopardy...good thing he listened to me for once! :eek:

Please just be aware, and I do not believe this was your intention, that "price gouging" is a highly pejorative term for a seller pricing much higher than is reasonable or fair. It is also illegal in many US states. Obviously Celebrity did not deserve this.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Truely mean the sorry - sometimes we 'apologize' while we explain why you deserved the broadside (slip in a sailing term!). Not true in this case - you stated a situation and asked about it. Emails/posts are very hard to pass the tone of voice and since we try to be direct, sometimes it comes across as a negative or an attack. I've done it and received it. Hope you keep joining in. I can't believe I still have a lower cost cabin then what is listed right now in this climate. In the past (only a year ago!), many studies showed it was a good idea to book early. Not sure if those were 'studies' were done by TA's and cruise lines, but that was the trend.

Denny

Truely mean the sorry - sometimes we 'apologize' while we explain why you deserved the broadside (slip in a sailing term!). Not true in this case - you stated a situation and asked about it. Emails/posts are very hard to pass the tone of voice and since we try to be direct, sometimes it comes across as a negative or an attack. I've done it and received it. Hope you keep joining in. I can't believe I still have a lower cost cabin then what is listed right now in this climate. In the past (only a year ago!), many studies showed it was a good idea to book early. Not sure if those were 'studies' were done by TA's and cruise lines, but that was the trend.

Denny

Hi Denny,

That trend is upside down now. I remember (cough cough;)) when you could book YEARS in advance and get the lowest prices. Now I book around 6-8 months in advance and keep checking for price drops.

Archived