How is concierge on Mariner??

I'm afraid you're in for a big letdown. On our April 19 cruise, I found the Concierge to be unwelcoming and unprofessional. He would not look up from his desk when I entered the CL. If I spoke first he would acknowledge me, but often without looking at me. A friend of mine in a GS emailed him pre-cruise about specialty restaurants - it took her three emails several days apart to get an acknowledgement from him, and he messed the reservations up.

I'm a late riser, so would go to the CL about 10:30 for a cappuccino. The machine was ALWAYS full of grounds and inoperable. His posted hours to be in the CL were 8:00-11:00, but he was never there at 10:30. I did learn from one of the breakfast setup people how to empty out the grounds and reset the machine, but one would THINK that he'd check before going off duty 30 minutes early.

At the cocktail hour the lounge would be crowded, but there were extra chairs stacked up that could have been put out for us to sit in. I guess he was afraid of breaking a fingernail because he stayed chatting on the telephone while we stood in our formal wear.

Now, I'm a firm believer in the mantra that the powers that be help those who help themselves, but if somebody is being paid to do all these little things and doesn't do them, I wonder why he or she has the job.

If you're lucky, Fernando will be filling in for the regular Concierge. Fernando, who was the Concierge in 2008 when we sailed, is fabulous - helpful, sociable and fun to be around. RCI should wake up, smell the coffee, read the unfavorable comments that many have made about the fulltime Concierge and make a change.

The good news is that the service in the overflow lounge (Dragon's Lair on our cruise) was very good, other than not replenishing the munchies quickly enough on the first couple of nights. They caught on quickly, though.:)

We were on the Mariner in March and have booked May 10 also. I will have to agree with critterchick service from the concierge was a bit lacking. As for the coffee grounds, believe me it was full long before 10:30 and the hot chocolate never worked.

On a more positive note the bar staff in the lounge was great.

I've only heard from several folks how bad it is on Mariner...but knowing Martin you have been spoiled beyond what is likely in most CLs. Martin is among the best Concierge's I ever experienced anywhere in the world...

Hope you enjoy the Mariner regardless of how bad the concierge is...

We were on Mariner on 4/19 and the only thing I didn't like was the Concierge. He had a BAD attitude. I asked him to make us a reservation for dinner at Portofino and he said "sorry, they're booked." We had already eaten there twice during the week, so I walked up there and got a reservation at the requested time without a problem. He was useless.

I have to agree about the concierge on the Mariner. He was rarely around and always on his computer. I rarely saw him interacting with the guests. We had been spoiled by Martin on the Voyager and we got a chance to tell him that on our cruise last month. He's the best!

We were on Mariner on 4/19 and the only thing I didn't like was the Concierge. He had a BAD attitude. I asked him to make us a reservation for dinner at Portofino and he said "sorry, they're booked." We had already eaten there twice during the week, so I walked up there and got a reservation at the requested time without a problem. He was useless.

That's pretty unbelievable! We were on the same cruise and found the Concierge......what's his name...........to be outstanding!!

Out standing...when he should be working.

I have never heard from this conceirge......and we have now over 60 points with RCCL......and a total of 76 cruises. It's OK that I have never heard from him...........except..........I wrote to him, asking some questions........that he never bothered to reply to.

How about we start a thread...........who should be terminated, that have outlived their usefulness on a Royal Caribbean ship.

Noe..........that would draw a great crowd...........and be banned on day one!!

Rick

That's pretty unbelievable! We were on the same cruise and found the Concierge......what's his name...........to be outstanding!!

I have never heard from this conceirge......and we have now over 60 points with RCCL......and a total of 76 cruises. It's OK that I have never heard from him...........except..........I wrote to him, asking some questions........that he never bothered to reply to.

How about we start a thread...........who should be terminated, that have outlived their usefulness on a Royal Caribbean ship.

Rick

rick, i very rarely sit here and laugh out loud for real but your out standing comment was priceless.

Kerry, I'm right there with Jean and Rick! That "whatshisnameanyway" of a Concierge was simply terrible! He leaves all of the work to his bartenders and proceeds to leave the CL and you never see him again. What is funny, Rick, Jean and I were all in suites - Junior through GS - and we never once had an introduction or kind word from him.

I can only hope that Fernando gets the promotion to CL, and not as a fill-in for Alan.:D

RCCL needs to really look into this CL individual (Alan) since he should be washing dishes in the kitchen IMHO!

Kerry, I'm right there with Jean and Rick! That "whatshisnameanyway" of a Concierge was simply terrible! He leaves all of the work to his bartenders and proceeds to leave the CL and you never see him again. What is funny, Rick, Jean and I were all in suites - Junior through GS - and we never once had an introduction or kind word from him.

I can only hope that Fernando gets the promotion to CL, and not as a fill-in for Alan.:D

RCCL needs to really look into this CL individual (Alan) since he should be washing dishes in the kitchen IMHO!

we're not happy anyway going to the pacific northwest (i like it warm) so hopefully alan will be gone before we get there. wishful thinking.

we will make marks on the comment card.:(

I was not too impressed with him --- but he did get me ice show tickets

The lounge was ridiculous.....We found the Dragon's Lair waaaaay better.

My man Terry & Ms Arlene were on the ball.......tell them the spikey grey

haired guy says hello......We were on the 3/22 Sailing .....Ron ={;-}

Here's my two bits:

Allan was very helpful to me several times, going above and beyond to assist me. He gave me comedy show tickets when asked.

But there is a problem with this:

If he can be appropriate and helpful to ME, why can't he for other people? It almost makes it worse.

Here's my two bits:

Allan was very helpful to me several times, going above and beyond to assist me. He gave me comedy show tickets when asked.

But there is a problem with this:

If he can be appropriate and helpful to ME, why can't he for other people? It almost makes it worse.

When asked or when you insisted because he didn't want to do it initially? He should have been happy to do it upon a simple request.

When asked or when you insisted because he didn't want to do it initially? He should have been happy to do it upon a simple request.

He gave them to me when I asked for them.

is it true the comedy club was an experiment and should be gone by next sunday?:confused:

Yes, that is what Simeon told me on the 4/19 voyage.

He gave them to me when I asked for them.

Yes, that is what Simeon told me on the 4/19 voyage.

thank you, carol. btw, how was your hotel stay in rome? my friends are staying at "your" hotel in october.

Rick

One time I left a note to a conceirge about a problem. Later, I checked with him and see if he got my message. He said No... then I pointed to the trash can behind him and said "I think my message is in the trash!" :(

I think your message ended up in the trash can too!

As a former Hotel Lead Concierge for over 5 years I was appalled at the service, attitude and general ignorance of Allan, the Mariners Concierge.

All I asked for were ice tickets.....I stood in line for over 10 minutes while he "serviced" the guests ahead of me...I got an eye and ear full of his so called service. A total joke!!

Well.....I'll have to chime in here also. Alan would not get me ice show tickets.....didn't even try. He's the only Concierge that I just couldn't warm up to....and that's saying a lot because I warm up to everybody!!

If Alan is so Bad why do they keep him on? I'm boarding the Mariner tomorrow and I hope he isn't the Concierge! Is there any way of finding out ahead of time who is the Concierge on my sailing>

While Alan did respond to my email after I sent a second one and requested he respond so I knew he understood my request for specialty reservations he still got it wrong. It was spelled out clearly. When I was informed by another cruiser that they might be a conflict I again set a email to confirm if that was the case. I didn't receive a response again.

Once on the ship I entered the CL and was not greeted until the fourth night when I was sitting with another couple that I asked if I could join them. Before that I was sitting by myself on two separate occasions and he never gave me the time of day.

I was also there in the morning a couple of times but again I didn't exist or he had stepped out.

The CL is a lovely place to go and meet friends and meet new and this was my first experience in the CL as I have not cruised on a ship that had one available due to number of passengers. I have been on the Liberty OTS where there is a Diamond Lounge and the service there was outstanding, warm and welcoming. :)

Archived