How is concierge on Mariner??

Here's my two bits:

Allan was very helpful to me several times, going above and beyond to assist me. He gave me comedy show tickets when asked.

But there is a problem with this:

If he can be appropriate and helpful to ME, why can't he for other people? It almost makes it worse.

Mom, you know why he was nice to you! You were on the cruise Around the Horn and he knew better than to cross you! :p:D He may be inept, but he ain't stupid!

thank you, carol. btw, how was your hotel stay in rome? my friends are staying at "your" hotel in october.

Absolutely wonderful. Once again, I was very pleased with the accommodations, the friendly front desk, the excellent included breakfast, and most of all, the outstanding location.

:)

Mom, you know why he was nice to you! You were on the cruise Around the Horn and he knew better than to cross you! :p:D He may be inept, but he ain't stupid!

I thought that I might have left a mistaken impression with my post.

I was speaking mostly about my FIRST experience with him, on the Around the Horn cruise. He was very helpful then, when I was trying to sell my father's house VERY long distance!

Up until I asked for his help with that, he didn't know me from Adam. (and I don't mean Goldstein!) He is just not the kind of concierge who feels that it's his job or wants to get to know all of the people with CL privileges. Pretty much the opposite of all the other concierges. :rolleyes:

I actually called down to the head purser and complained about him. When my DH and I first went to the CL (we were in a GS), he had the nerve to question whether we "belonged" there. The guy is a rude jerk!

I'm sorry he offended you by making sure you should be there... perhaps he handled it poorly... but IMO though they should be checking to be sure that everyone there "belongs"... there are always some guests on every cruise that try to crash the lounge.

I actually called down to the head purser and complained about him. When my DH and I first went to the CL (we were in a GS), he had the nerve to question whether we "belonged" there. The guy is a rude jerk!

When did you cruise on the Mariner?? If it's this year....they were printing the Suite Seapass in gold. Allan can be pretty inept........when it comes to communications. Sorry that it happened to you! However, you have to feel good that you are among an elite group that wants Allan off of the Mariner..........permanently!!:cool::rolleyes:

Rick

I thought that I might have left a mistaken impression with my post.

I was speaking mostly about my FIRST experience with him, on the Around the Horn cruise. He was very helpful then, when I was trying to sell my father's house VERY long distance!

Up until I asked for his help with that, he didn't know me from Adam. (and I don't mean Goldstein!) He is just not the kind of concierge who feels that it's his job or wants to get to know all of the people with CL privileges. Pretty much the opposite of all the other concierges. :rolleyes:

Carol, notice the "smiley"? I'm trying my best to make light of a bad situation with Allan.:o

I'm sorry he offended you by making sure you should be there... perhaps he handled it poorly... but IMO though they should be checking to be sure that everyone there "belongs"... there are always some guests on every cruise that try to crash the lounge.

Ellen, the Suite Guests now have "special" Gold SeaPass cards, so this should not have been an issue for Allan. I do know what you mean though. Can you believe the overflow lounge didn't have any gate keeper at all but a nice standee sign in front of the door? This is about as good as it got for the whole cruise. Anyone could have walked in to the overflow!

Ellen, the Suite Guests now have "special" Gold SeaPass cards, so this should not have been an issue for Allan. I do know what you mean though. Can you believe the overflow lounge didn't have any gate keeper at all but a nice standee sign in front of the door? This is about as good as it got for the whole cruise. Anyone could have walked in to the overflow!

........with their SMALL children! :eek:

There are plenty of white and silver Seapass cards who are entitled to CL access, too. The proper approach would have been to introduce himself and then ask, "what is your name?" Then he could have consulted his list to know if we were entitled to be there. As John (not yours) said, he was too busy trying (and failing IMHO) to look pretty to be bothered with customer service.:rolleyes:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I, too, thought Allan was terrible on our 4/12 cruise. I sent him an email 2 weeks before sailing, and he never replied. It was just a simple, quick "yes or no" question...but I guess he was too busy to type "yes" or "no" to me. We visited the lounge 5 out of the 7 nights, and he never once came by to say hello or ask if we needed anything. When he was at the desk, he had his head down most of the time. I asked for tickets to the comedy show, and he said he didn't have them for the night we wanted. He offered them for the other nights, but it really seemed like I was putting him out by asking.

The bartender was nice, however :-)

When did you cruise on the Mariner?? If it's this year....they were printing the Suite Seapass in gold. Allan can be pretty inept........when it comes to communications. Sorry that it happened to you! However, you have to feel good that you are among an elite group that wants Allan off of the Mariner..........permanently!!:cool::rolleyes:

Rick

So is Allan color blind? :eek::D

I hope the SR Mgt at RCCL are reading this post and get smart and toss the guy for making so many customers unhappy.

Maybe he is ticked off at their pay cut, but gosh, Martin on VOTS goes out of his way to visit everyone and really make the cruise experience special...to that end, he probably when all is said and done makes a bunch of bucks working on RCCL. With a good number of folks cruising that use the CL I could see a good Concierge making six figures with good tips from a number of folks.

My first impression of Alan was that he was not a well organized Concierge. I know they have all been over-worked these past 2 years with all the cut backs and extra duties (thus the loss of Maritza on the Serenade, I believe).

My second impression was that he just did not care anymore. That he had been worn down by the system and felt trapped in a job he no longer wanted. He always seemed to be too busy doing paperwork to look up to see what was going on in his lounge, or to delegate what needed to be done.

Neither of these things is excusable, and I found him as friendly as most other guests. The bartender and bus person were always helpful and friendly though.

There are plenty of white and silver Seapass cards who are entitled to CL access, too. The proper approach would have been to introduce himself and then ask, "what is your name?" Then he could have consulted his list to know if we were entitled to be there. As John (not yours) said, he was too busy trying (and failing IMHO) to look pretty to be bothered with customer service.:rolleyes:

Jean, I don't know if Allan would know "proper" if it hit him in the face!:eek:

My first impression of Alan was that he was not a well organized Concierge. I know they have all been over-worked these past 2 years with all the cut backs and extra duties (thus the loss of Maritza on the Serenade, I believe).

My second impression was that he just did not care anymore. That he had been worn down by the system and felt trapped in a job he no longer wanted. He always seemed to be too busy doing paperwork to look up to see what was going on in his lounge, or to delegate what needed to be done.

Neither of these things is excusable, and I found him as friendly as most other guests. The bartender and bus person were always helpful and friendly though.

Then he should find something else to do with his life. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but the Concierge is responsible for taking care of the big ticket spenders and most loyal passengers RCI has - they cannot afford to have somebody who doesn't care in that position. And they have somebody onboard who is ready, willing and able to take over that position - Fernando.

Then he should find something else to do with his life. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but the Concierge is responsible for taking care of the big ticket spenders and most loyal passengers RCI has - they cannot afford to have somebody who doesn't care in that position. And they have somebody onboard who is ready, willing and able to take over that position - Fernando.

I agree with you but I do not know who Fernando is or why they have not replaced Alan...

I agree with you but I do not know who Fernando is or why they have not replaced Alan...

Fernando is a purser at Guest Services who fills in when Allan is on vacation. We had the pleasure of meeting Fernando in March of 2008 and were very impressed with the job he did. He was sociable, efficient, never made us feel as if we were intruding or a bother and greatly enhanced our onboard experience.

Archived