Book our 1st Cruise - June 09 - NOS - Any tips??

My partner & I are booked to go on the 8 night Western Med cruise on the Navigator of the Sea in June.

It's our 1st cruise & we're really looking forward to it but I have so many questions. This forum has been great for answering lots.

Wondering if any seasoned cruisers have any tips on

When are the formal nights - we have 2?

What to wear on formal nights - do I need to bring a gown?

What not to miss onboard?

What to avoid?

Anything else helpful to enable us to enjoy our crusie to the max

Your 1st formal night will be night 2...the 2nd is the next to last evening. An evening gown or cocktail dress is what's expected for a formal evening. For a man, a tux or dark suit is appropriate.

Get the cruise brochure and read it--lots of great info in there that will only help you get the most from your trip.

Get a guidebook on your ports---you will be a step ahead if you know something about the places you will visit!

Bring binoculars---there's alot to see, but you'll need magnification! Never cruise without them!

As far as what not to miss....that's a highly individual thing...some folks will say not to miss the Bingo games!!!! (Not me!) Or, the "hairy leg" contest! You will get the daily Compass that will tell you all that is going on...read it, and do what interests YOU!

Get room service, at least once. Even if you just get coffee and light pastries. We didn't do it on our first cruise, but tried it on our second. I real luxury that makes you feel like you are on vacation! I f you have a balcony it is even better!

Go to your Meet & Mingle Rollcall thread and meet other cruisers that are going the same week. You didn't say when in June, but here is the link to the Navigator Rollcalls:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=268

Find the date for your particular cruise and join in. This will be a great place to find out about what's happening on YOUR cruise.

Hope This Helps.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! It's always fun to see new people jumping in to join the cruise addiction. ;)

If you enjoy fine dining be sure you check out Chops and Portofino on your ship. Also, go see the ice skating show. Even if you aren't a skate fan it's amazing to see what the performers can do on that tiny rink on a moving ship. Happy sailing!!

Mostly expect to have a wonderful time. Don't sweat the small stuff. Go to lunch in the MDR at least once on your cruise. Don't think you have to do every activity unless you really want to. That's sometimes hard to do, especially on your first cruise.

Go to the Quest game. It is, without exception, the funniest hour of the entire cruise. In a nutshell, it is an "on your person" scavenger hunt, very adult in content, and hilarious. And the more you participate, the funnier it is. We laugh so hard we have tears running down our faces.

Keep posting questions as you think of them. There are so many experienced cruisers on this board, and we are all happy to help. Have a GREAT first cruise. It won't be your last....:D

Karen

Thanks, it's been very helpful and interesting going through the posts on here. They are really useful in answering questions, but then as soon as one is, I've another!

I'm now debating on the drinks packages both soft drinks and wine and whether they are worth prebooking or just paying on board for what you want?

Also sad I know but the other half likes his films and is wondering what movies they shows, how often? Are they up to date?

Thanks, it's been very helpful and interesting going through the posts on here. They are really useful in answering questions, but then as soon as one is, I've another!

I'm now debating on the drinks packages both soft drinks and wine and whether they are worth prebooking or just paying on board for what you want?

Also sad I know but the other half likes his films and is wondering what movies they shows, how often? Are they up to date?

Hi,

You'll get lots of different opinions on this one. We looked at the wine package and the prices per bottle are much dearer than we'd pay here in Uk in a good Italian retaurant and we were not impressed by the winelist anyway. The wine prices too are dearer than you'd pay with Thomsons Cruises.

If you drink a lot of pop (Coke Sprite, Fanta), not just the tea, coffee, water and lemonade that are incliuded, we think the soda package is worth it. We'll be teetotal on this one and if we want a drink we'll be having a glass with meals ashore.

Also take time to relax, on the Med you'll do a lot of ports in quick succession and it can get tiring if you do trips at every one.

We used to love sitting in the evenings on the last cruise up in the lounge (Viking Crown on RCI) and watch the coast go past and relax.

It was too cold last April to sit on the balcony BRRRR!!

Berwyn

Don't miss Kory in the Schooner piano bar. We spent every night there on our transatlantic and had a party every night! If you have My Time Dining you will love MaryJoy the hostess and all the wait staff. They were exceptional!

I purchased the seven bottle Diamond wine package and saved over ordering individual bottles. Remember when you buy a package the 15% gratuity is included. I liked the idea of prepaying for my wine and not getting hit with it on my SeaPass.

Portofinos and Chops are well worth the added cost.

Archived