What helps with "Sea Legs" after a cruise?

Hi- One of my relatives has "Sea Legs" from our recent cruise. We disembarked on Monday and she still feels the rocking motion and some dizziness.

What do cruisers do about "Sea Legs"? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've had this a few times and what has worked for me is to continue taking Bonine or Dramamine for a few days. Drink lots of water and get plenty of rest, if it doesn't pass within a few days see a doctor as you may have an inner ear infection.

Call me weird, but I actually enjoy the "rocking sensation" that continues after I'm back at home. Kinda makes me feel like I'm still on the ship. :)

Diane

Me too! Especially when I lay down. Which is great, because I sleep better onboard than I ever do on land.

Call me weird, but I actually enjoy the "rocking sensation" that continues after I'm back at home. Kinda makes me feel like I'm still on the ship. :)

Diane

Guess I'm weird too because I love that feeling!!! It is my little reminder to book the next cruise, I think. :)

Miriam

I've had this a few times and what has worked for me is to continue taking Bonine or Dramamine for a few days. Drink lots of water and get plenty of rest, if it doesn't pass within a few days see a doctor as you may have an inner ear infection.

Yep, there a difference between "sea legs" and Vertigo.. which is dizziness or difficulty walking straight.

Bonine helps, but it's usually due to ear/sinus issues.

Sinus Spray helps. And clearing your ears (hold your nose and swallow)..

If it doesn't go away. See the doctor.

I once had Vertigo from an extended trip to Europe from a series of flights.. it lasted 30 days.. I was a mess.

Diane

I used to enjoy it, too. But I haven't experienced it after our last few cruises. Probably because of the newer stablilizers.

Diane

LOL, seriously! People take drugs just to give'em this feeling... LOL

My wife had it for almost a month after our first cruise. After a couple weeks it was really bothering her and she ended up taking some meds for motion sickness. She had no effects after our second cruise though, so the solution is to cruise more ;)

Interesting variety of experiences.

My relative is better now after 6 days of rocking. She said she cut back on coffee and that helped- and got up from the computer she works on, more often.

The cruise we just took from Jacksonville had more rocking and rolling than any other we have been on together, so it's not surprising. It was quite windy for 3 days.

LOL, seriously! People take drugs just to give'em this feeling... LOL

I literally laughed out loud when I read your reply. :D:D:D I'm glad a lot of y'all are agreeing with my take on this sea legs thing.

Let's see...we spend gobs of money to get on a giant boat that goes out into the middle of the ocean. There are waves that make us go up and down and back and forth and rock us to sleep. It's a fabulous sensation that most everyone who cruises loves. Then, you come home and all of a sudden you don't want to feel that? Not me! It only makes me yearn more for my next cruise.

Diane

I have been experiencing sea legs and am on Day 3 - didn't have this from other cruises. What interested me is it seems to get worse after coffee, so found your mention of coffee interesting. I'm cutting that out to see if helps.

Interesting variety of experiences.

My relative is better now after 6 days of rocking. She said she cut back on coffee and that helped- and got up from the computer she works on, more often.

The cruise we just took from Jacksonville had more rocking and rolling than any other we have been on together, so it's not surprising. It was quite windy for 3 days.

Hi- One of my relatives has "Sea Legs" from our recent cruise. We disembarked on Monday and she still feels the rocking motion and some dizziness.

Ride a bike!;)

I get that pleasant, still-feel-the-ocean sensation for one or two days post-cruise. Unfortunately, it's followed by about five days of nausea and skewed depth perception that literally has me walking into walls. Not pleasant at all. Tincture of time is the only thing that gives me any real relief.

Caro

Some of you are headed in the right direction with your responses. To me, the best way to cure sea legs is to book another cruise - preferably on board the first one. Back to back is maybe the best way! All kidding aside, it subsides (for me) by itself usually within a day or two - but I'm one of those that kind of enjoy it as it provides a lingering memory for a day or so of where I just was. But like I say, the best cure for me is to keep cruising!

It's called Mal de Debarkment Syndrome. They don't know what causes it, or why, but it is something that affects women more than men, and women in their 40's more so than other age groups. If you suffer from migraines, you are more prone to get it. Some people suffer for weeks, months, even years. It was featured on Mystery Diagnosis on Discovery Health a few months ago.

There really is nothing you can do to get rid of it, but allow time. I had it for 5 months. I probably will not ever go on another cruise. I felt as if I was walking on a trampoline for weeks. And like most, being in the shower made it feel worse.

MdDS can come from rough plane flights, waterbeds, trains or high-speed elevators as well as boats. If you'd like more info, check out http://www.mddsfoundation.org/

If you think you have MdDS, and decide to see a doctor, I'd highly advise you to find a doctor who is familiar with the syndrome so you don't get sent for a bunch of unnecessary tests. The MdDS foundations site has a list of recommended doctors.

I use to have this when, as a child, we would spend time on the Chesapeake Bay in our 35 foot cabin cruiser. But it always went away within 2-4 days, depending on how long we had been on the water, and how rough it had been.

But I (nor my DH) have never had this sensation after a cruise, not a 15 night cruise, nor a one week cruise where it was quite rough. Obviously we do not ever experience sea sickness either.

A nice cold Margarita on the rocks.... hahhaha!!

I would use this you think I am silly saying this, Eat lots of Green Apples, this stops the motion of the ocean..

That is why they have green apples on board.. or somthing with Ginger.

i have done the apples and ginger in the past... there are ginger pills but i suggest she drink gingerale, ginger glazed with sugar or Green Apples.. Granny smith kind.. only has to be green apples nothing else will do.

Red:D

Archived