dishonesty with soda package

Let me start this thread off by staying I'm really not much of a soda drinker, at all. 96% of the time I prefer water (sometimes tea). I have no interest in purchasing soda on board.

With that said, what is to prevent someone from using their souvenir cup on future cruises? All someone has to do is keep their cup and bring it back with them on their next cruise. Or take a previous sea pass with the sticker on it into the MDR to show the sticker.

Is there something I'm missing?

Doesn't the SeaPass have the date of the sailing on it?

Yes, it does, but I've sat with other guests at our table and our waiter hardly looked at it. Besides that, what about the cup itself? Does it change depending on the ship/season/year/itinerary?

Yes, it does, but I've sat with other guests at our table and our waiter hardly looked at it. Besides that, what about the cup itself? Does it change depending on the ship/season/year/itinerary?

The cups do change as do the stickers, sometimes that are red with white writing, sometimes white with red writing.

On our 12 nights, I was the designated soda fetcher for our group. I would carry three of the cups and three cards up to whichever bar was closest. Most of the bartenders just filled the cups but a good 1/3 asked to see the cards before a fill. Your mileage may vary, but I would imagine if you had no card you would much like Lucy....

have sum splainin to do...

When we were on Grandeur, there was a family or group that was apparently "sharing" a soda card. The bartender would take the card and question the cardholder....."What's your name?" , "How old are you?" , "I thought Katy was 12?" . The girl that brought the card up had no idea how to answer any of the questions...but he still gave her a soda. He then mentioned to the other bartenders that they were sharing.

I don't know what they can really do about it. But like anything with a honor system....I'm sure there is probably some abuse of it.

In this case, I don't have any sympathy for the cruise industry, as I'm sure they still make a healthy profit on their soda packages.

One of the first thing my children understood was that they couldn't have any soft drinks when we travelled overseas.

In this case, I don't have any sympathy for the cruise industry, as I'm sure they still make a healthy profit on their soda packages.

That's not the point, if you share, you are teaching your kiddos how to cheat the system. It's akin to shoplifting. Taking goods without paying for them. They also have a lot of t-shirts in the store, they won't miss a few. Then there's the photo gallery.....

Even though you have the cup, you still have to show your card with the sticker. Although, I never use the cup. Personally, I think they're a little dorky to carry around. You don't NEED the cup... but you do need the sticker.

That's not the point, if you share, you are teaching your kiddos how to cheat the system. It's akin to shoplifting. Taking goods without paying for them. They also have a lot of t-shirts in the store, they won't miss a few. After all, you paid a lot of money for this cruise, you deserve a couple of logo shirts.

Exactly... of course no one sets examples anymore.

Have some dignity and buy as many soda passes as you need.

And then there's the fact.....that if they really want to, I believe they can run your seapass through any one of the terminals and bring up your security photo. We have seen some of the interesting passenger statistics they can bring up on the charge terminals, if necessary. :)

So if folks think it's ok to steal soda from RCCL, maybe we should all be ok stealing a 12pack of beer every week from the grocery store...:D

Stealing sodas helps erode the profit margin for RCCL and that forces cuts in service.

If you don't like the price bring a 12 pack of soda with you on the ship that is allowed and is far less expensive than the soda package.

Are you able to get a can or bottle coke from the bar or only in the little store?

Yes, you can buy a can of soda at the bars for about $2.25 per can (which includes the tip). The soda card is only worth it if you plan to consume more than three sodas per day.

With that said, what is to prevent someone from using their souvenir cup on future cruises? All someone has to do is keep their cup and bring it back with them on their next cruise. Or take a previous sea pass with the sticker on it into the MDR to show the sticker.

Is there something I'm missing?

While I am sure a very small percentage of cruisers do this, what you are describing is theft. The same thing that prevents most people from taking a shirt from the general store and waiving an old receipt from a prior purchase as exiting the store prevents people from doing what you are describing: Various combination of morals and potential consequences if caught.

Also, with the soda card you get fountain soda and not a can. They fill the glass with ice and add the watered down soda. A can of soda is 12 ounces of soda. I think ounce for ounce you need to drink more than 3 to break even.

Just something to think about before buying the soda card. We buy them because we don't like having lots of receipts at the end of the day. If RCL would just go paperless...... :D

So if folks think it's ok to steal soda from RCCL, maybe we should all be ok stealing a 12pack of beer every week from the grocery store...:D

Stealing sodas helps erode the profit margin for RCCL and that forces cuts in service.

If you don't like the price bring a 12 pack of soda with you on the ship that is allowed and is far less expensive than the soda package.

I agree with you, Rancher Dave. If one "needs" soda that badly, then consider it a cost of cruisig, and budget it in.

We usually include the drink package when we cruise. Mainly I like the convenience of handing someone my Sea pass or cup and then I get a soft drink.

Plus, I prefer the watered down fountain drinks. Go figure. I also don't want a full can of drink that will go flat before I finish it.

I agree. Rather than encourage kids to do something illegal and morally wrong, why not just bring your own. Someday down the road, their kids will do something much worse and when they are arrested and their parents say "what got into you", they will remind them how they were encouraged to cheat RCI for soda.

I agree. Rather than encourage kids to do something illegal and morally wrong, why not just bring your own. Someday down the road, their kids will do something much worse and when they are arrested and their parents say "what got into you", they will remind them how they were encouraged to cheat RCI for soda.

LOL - actually when lil Johnny and Suzie get older and have to share a card - it will be the utter embarrassment of Mom and Dad factor kicking in. :eek:

LOL - actually when lil Johnny and Suzie get older and have to share a card - it will be the utter embarrassment of Mom and Dad factor kicking in. :eek:

No, Mom & Dad won't be embarrassed, after all they probably do the same. They'll be mad the kiddos got caught.

No, Mom & Dad won't be embarrassed, after all they probably do the same. They'll be mad the kiddos got caught.

Oh good grief! I think I'm suffering from Adult onset Dyslexia. :confused:

Let's try it again - Lil Johnny and Suzie will be completely mortified by Mom and Dad wanting them to share.

Archived