How are you picked to sit at Captain's Table?

chicail16

There is not always a captains table-- if they have one then it is a select group

of people--some suites--some newly weds celebrating their honeymoon--

platinum NCL holders---military officers/enlisted in uniform.

I was on one NCL cruise where you put your name in on a ticket (which was then drawn like a raffle) and identified one officer to have dinner with you. We were then notified if selected. The drawing was announced in the Freestyle with a time the ticked had to be given to the front desk'

We all met in a room and then went to dinner-- we chose the Hotel Manager/Director-- there were four of us--two couples--since the Hotel Manager/Director is in charge of every thing rooms, food, entertainment--I thought he was a better chose than the captain--needless to say our service was impeccable. There were about twenty officers spread out with guests at different tables--not all at one table.

Many people put in the drawing for this and many were not selected.

Big Green

I have read, over many years reading posts here, that a cheerful disposition, ready to party, pro NCL, and be noticed at the possible meetings with senior staff. The Captain isn't rude, loud mouth, or gloomy; and doesn't want to dine with one either. ;)

I've eaten with the Captains and Officers many times. I believe I was chosen because I was a cheerful TA.

I've been out of the biz for 10 years, and haven't been at the Captains table since.

Although even though I still cruise 2-3 times a year...I know as well as other long time cruisers...Dining isn't what it once was on our cruise ships.

I refuse to pay extra for dining on the ships for what was once included.

Sandy

I've eaten with the Captains and Officers many times. I believe I was chosen because I was a cheerful TA.

I've been out of the biz for 10 years, and haven't been at the Captains table since.

Although even though I still cruise 2-3 times a year...I know as well as other long time cruisers...Dining isn't what it once was on our cruise ships.

I refuse to pay extra for dining on the ships for what was once included.

Sandy

While I respect that it is your choice where to dine, I question why you added your last sentence. I too agree that dining isn't what it used to be on cruise ships, but that is true on all the main line cruise lines, and in my opinion in most main line shore side restaurants. So,since I accept that as true, for special dining, we go less frequently, to a truly upscale restaurant. On a ship, we do the same thing, and accept that we will pay extra. We certainly don't deny ourselves, because it isn't the way it once was.

Al

My parents were frequent cruisers in the 1980s and 1990s. AFAIK they never were in a cabin better than inside. Perhaps OV, but neither would ever even consider paying for balcony or above. Each and every cruise, one night they dined with the captain. Regrettably, they're gone, so I can't ask them how that came about. But I have their ship photos to prove it.

On our spring break cruise there was one night were there was a chance to dine with an officers. There was a notice in the Freestyle to turn in your name at the reception desk, but for Cruise Critic members we turned in our cabin number at the meet and greet if we were interested. At the dinner it appeared like all Cruise Critic members who applied did get assigned an officer or other ship member. The day before the dinner we received a notice that we were dining with the doctor and his wife. The other two couples at our table were not with Cruise Critic, but were higher category suite passengers. The dinner was the regular Venetian menu, with the wine complimentary from NCL. Tables sat about 10 to 12 with one officer and spouse (if they had one); one of the tables had the fabulous CD Shona and the comedian. We did get to learn about some of the unique aspects of living and working on a cruise ship; like the doctor is the personal physician for the 1,000 + employees.

I dined with the Captain quite frequently on our recent NCL cruise - he ate a light lunch in the Garden Cafe at about noon every day.

Ah yes, the Garden Cafe. That's where I had MY Captain chat but, unfortunately, I didn't know he was the Captain. We were standing in line for something or other and I noticed he was in uniform so I took the opportunity to ask (well, to be honest, have a bit of a moan) about the lack of Captain communication re: the weather. He asked me what I'd like to know and I said that I'm one of those people who, when the seas get rough, like a bit of an update every now and then. "We're in this for days", "We're going through a rough patch but, we'll be through in a few hours", "OMG - 25 foot waves - we're all going to DIE!!!" - you know, that kind of thing. Anyway, he was lovely and assured me that everything was fine.....it was only when I sat down that my husband said - "So, what were you chatting to the Captain about?":eek: doh....

I have gotten invitations to dine with the Cpt. several times, due to being a long time platinum member. But now, platinum, is pretty common, and I go with cheap cabins. Still get an invite once in a while. It isn't important to me.

A little OT:

I always thought that I wouldn't even want to meet with the Captain because the first two cruises we went on there was a meet, greet and picture with him and honestly it was probably the most boring thing I had ever done! When we were invited on the bridge tour this past October, I went kicking and screaming.....my hubby wanted to go however so I obliged.

Well, didn't I get the shock of my life! The Captain of the Sky was delightful and very pleasant! He answered everyone's questions and I learned so much that evening. We had to leave the tour as we had a reservation for Le Bistro and had I not purchased the romance package, I think we would have stayed longer! If you get the chance to take advantage of the bridge tour....GO!!

We sailed on the Dawn on March 28th and received an invitation to dine with the staff captain. Our two children were even included. There were three tables with 8 guests and two other NCL reps(not sure who). Everyone at this dinner was at the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. The staff captain was very interesting and we received complimentary wine and the best service.

On our spring break cruise there was one night were there was a chance to dine with an officers. There was a notice in the Freestyle to turn in your name at the reception desk, but for Cruise Critic members we turned in our cabin number at the meet and greet if we were interested. At the dinner it appeared like all Cruise Critic members who applied did get assigned an officer or other ship member. The day before the dinner we received a notice that we were dining with the doctor and his wife. The other two couples at our table were not with Cruise Critic, but were higher category suite passengers. The dinner was the regular Venetian menu, with the wine complimentary from NCL. Tables sat about 10 to 12 with one officer and spouse (if they had one); one of the tables had the fabulous CD Shona and the comedian. We did get to learn about some of the unique aspects of living and working on a cruise ship; like the doctor is the personal physician for the 1,000 + employees.

How did you get the meet and greet together? I have been elected/volunteered to try to get it together for my upcoming Dawn cruise in August, but I have no idea what I am doing:) thanks for any feedback!

Ah yes, the Garden Cafe. That's where I had MY Captain chat but, unfortunately, I didn't know he was the Captain. We were standing in line for something or other and I noticed he was in uniform so I took the opportunity to ask (well, to be honest, have a bit of a moan) about the lack of Captain communication re: the weather. He asked me what I'd like to know and I said that I'm one of those people who, when the seas get rough, like a bit of an update every now and then. "We're in this for days", "We're going through a rough patch but, we'll be through in a few hours", "OMG - 25 foot waves - we're all going to DIE!!!" - you know, that kind of thing. Anyway, he was lovely and assured me that everything was fine.....it was only when I sat down that my husband said - "So, what were you chatting to the Captain about?":eek: doh....

HAHAHA! That is so funny. I am one like you but I like to know about a flight as per turbulance. Like is it just a little pocket or are we going down.... I need time to assume brace position, ya know... Sorry a little off topic.

How did you get the meet and greet together? I have been elected/volunteered to try to get it together for my upcoming Dawn cruise in August, but I have no idea what I am doing:) thanks for any feedback!

Send an email to the group events coordinator and tell them about how many people you have in your roll call and of course what date you are sailing (I gave my cabin number as well),and ask about a Meet and Greet. The email address is:

groupeventdawn@ncl.com

Good luck! ;)

Oh, my. That had to be embarrassing!:eek:

We were on the Jewel to the Baltics last year, and my SIL said her little group bumped into the captain (out of uniform and on his bicycle, I believe she said) sightseeing at the Little Mermaid. I believe she said he asked someone to take his picture. Personally, I would not have recognized him without his uniform. I'm one of those people who must see people in their "natural habitat" unless they are regular acquaintances.:)

A little OT:

I always thought that I wouldn't even want to meet with the Captain because the first two cruises we went on there was a meet, greet and picture with him and honestly it was probably the most boring thing I had ever done! When we were invited on the bridge tour this past October, I went kicking and screaming.....my hubby wanted to go however so I obliged.

Well, didn't I get the shock of my life! The Captain of the Sky was delightful and very pleasant! He answered everyone's questions and I learned so much that evening. We had to leave the tour as we had a reservation for Le Bistro and had I not purchased the romance package, I think we would have stayed longer! If you get the chance to take advantage of the bridge tour....GO!!

Not to steal the OP's thread, but I just have to follow islandgirlejfan's story as it brought back a fond memory of our first NCL sail. DH and I were on the Starward and I took the bridge. The first officer led the tour; he was so interesting and charming. A couple of times during the tour I spotted the Captain poking his head into the bridge, presumably to see if the tour group had departed. Eventually, everyone had departed except one other woman and me. This time when he looked in, the Captain decided to stay on the bridge. The other woman and I indicated to the first officer that perhaps we should leave since the Captain was there. He told us to stay; then introduced us to the captain, who offered us a cup of coffee. What gentlemen they were. :D (And all were Norwegian.)

All the officers and crew of the ship were so welcoming and generally impressive. That trip really endeared us to NCL. And while we have had limited opportunity to sail with them during recent years, I NCL is special to me. I hope to sail the Gem soon.

P.S. We've been sailing with Costa the last several years due to traveling with a large group. The Italian captains and officers I've met on Costa have been equally impressive and charming. ;-)

Send an email to the group events coordinator and tell them about how many people you have in your roll call and of course what date you are sailing (I gave my cabin number as well),and ask about a Meet and Greet. The email address is:

groupeventdawn@ncl.com

Good luck! ;)

They will also ask for your reservation number.

I know on other cruiselines, when you have the privilege of dining with the ship's officers, it's expected to wear dressier clothes. What is one expected to wear on NCL when dining with the Captain? Is it casual dress, or something a little dressier? :)

DT

I know on other cruiselines, when you have the privilege of dining with the ship's officers, it's expected to wear dressier clothes. What is one expected to wear on NCL when dining with the Captain? Is it casual dress, or something a little dressier? :)

DT

I wore nice shirt and slacks/dress shoes--wife had on a nice dressy dress and accessories.

Big Green

I had a half hour lunch with our Captain by knowing Ingrid Bergman was the woman in Casablanca, which was being shown on the wall where he was eating alone, up near the Blue Lagoon, overlooking the Philippine trio one deck below. He looked and acted lonesome and invited me to join him at the "captains table" and I was pleased to do so.

Although other circumstances that trip might not have called for a bridge visit, he was nice enough to arrange for me to be included in a group (mob) tour the following day. It was interesting and all, but coming after a former private, two hour visit to a bridge during the actual leaving of a port, (and getting to blow the ships horn three times), it was sort of a second-best experience.

DT

Most of these guys done care what you wear. They want to have a fun meal with people they can feel comfortable with. Relax and enjoy the opportunity to chat with some nice people !!

groupeventdawn@ncl.com

Good luck! ;)

Thanks for providing the answer. I did not know; since I did not set up our roll call.

Archived