The Naughty Room

[quote name='buffalogrill']It was all Vision security staff last week who were doing the scissor searching as far as I could see. Blimey, there were at least four of them on scissor duty on deck 1 doing repeated xrays on cases to locate said scissors, packaging up the scissors and then completing scissor documentation so each affected passenger had a 'scissor receipt'. It was barmy :eek:[/QUOTE]
Ha ha ha! Cant wait, I'm gonna have scissors in ALL my bags just so I get to go top the Naughty Room!

[quote name='carhirer']For protection.

I am reliably informed that there is nothing between a Scot and the nasty world outside, but a skirt and a bit of dead squirrel.[/quote]

I snorked coffee out of my nose. Brilliant.

[quote name='Mydnite']I always have to go to the naughty room to get one bag. My OH wears a kilt with a Skean Dhu, but he has one for travel that is completely blunt. We pack it on the top to show it as soon as this happens, and so far so good :) At least they are vigilant :)[/QUOTE]

Ooooooo, I hope you are on my cruise. I love the sight of a man in a kilt!

[quote name='carhirer']For protection.

I am reliably informed that there is nothing between a Scot and the nasty world outside, but a skirt and a bit of dead squirrel.[/quote]

You are informed correctly;). When my DH is asked (as he always is) what he's got under his kilt he answers (apologies if anyone is offended) "a few pounds of pure Scotch beef".

A sporran is usually made from seal or rabbit skin - never heard of it been made from squirrel :D.

Michael - The Sgian Dubh (many different spellings) makes up the full highland dress. It goes back centuries and the outfit just wouldn't be complete without it.

Judi

[quote name='Judi2112']
Michael - The Sgian Dubh (many different spellings) makes up the full highland dress. It goes back centuries and the outfit just wouldn't be complete without it.[/quote]

Thought so. Thank you.

--Michael

Just received a message from my Scottish adversary he advised:

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]STOP LOOKING AT CRUISE CRITIC THE LANGUAGE IT IS USUALLY AMERICANESE AND USUALLY INCORRECT![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]THE CORRECT SPELLING IS " SGIAN DUBH "[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]THE "BLACK KNIFE" IS WORN IN THE WEARERS STOCKING AT THE TOP WITH THE HILT AND HANDLE SHOWING - HOWEVER, THE SHOWING OF ALL KNIVES IS BANNED IN THE U.K. AS THEY ARE TREATED AS OFFENSIVE WEAPONS WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE USED OFFENSIVELY - PROBABLY COMES FROM ENGLISH LEGISLATION - AGAIN THE HIGHLAND REGIMENTS ARE ALSO BANNED FROM DISPLAYING THE SGIAN DUBH AND BECAUSE OF THIS PIECE OF ENGLISH NONSENSE THERE IS NOW A DUMMY BLACK KNIFE TO BE PURCHASED I.E. WITHOUT A BLADE[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]SCOTS WHA HAE,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]HOPE ARE BOTH KEEPING WELL,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]GRAHAM. :)[/SIZE][/FONT]

Not that I know anything at all about this - because I don't - tho my fiancee has some Scottish blood in him....

According to wiki (I know it's not definitive), the law in UK makes exceptions for Scottish dress..
The CJA 1988 mainly relates to carrying knives in public places, section 139 being the most important:
(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any person who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public place shall be guilty of an offence. (2) Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except a folding pocketknife. (3) This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches. (4) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place. The phrase "good reason" in subsection 4 is intended to allow for "common sense" possession of knives, so that it is legal to carry a knife if there is a [I]bona fide[/I] reason to do so. Subsection 5 gives some specific examples of [I]bona fide[/I] reasons: a knife for use at work (e.g. a chef's knife), as part of a national costume (e.g. a sgian dubh for the Scottish national costume), or for religious reasons (e.g. a Sikh Kirpan).

[quote name='biomedbob']Just received a message from my Scottish adversary he advised:

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]STOP LOOKING AT CRUISE CRITIC THE LANGUAGE IT IS USUALLY AMERICANESE AND USUALLY INCORRECT![/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][B]THE CORRECT SPELLING IS " SGIAN DUBH "[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]THE "BLACK KNIFE" IS WORN IN THE WEARERS STOCKING AT THE TOP WITH THE HILT AND HANDLE SHOWING - HOWEVER, THE SHOWING OF ALL KNIVES IS BANNED IN THE U.K. AS THEY ARE TREATED AS OFFENSIVE WEAPONS WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE USED OFFENSIVELY - PROBABLY COMES FROM ENGLISH LEGISLATION - AGAIN THE HIGHLAND REGIMENTS ARE ALSO BANNED FROM DISPLAYING THE SGIAN DUBH AND BECAUSE OF THIS PIECE OF ENGLISH NONSENSE THERE IS NOW A DUMMY BLACK KNIFE TO BE PURCHASED I.E. WITHOUT A BLADE[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]SCOTS WHA HAE,[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]HOPE ARE BOTH KEEPING WELL,[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]GRAHAM. :)[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[quote name='zywnywld']Scissors causing a problem inside a checked bag is crazy. As stated in other replies there are many things as dangerous. At least once a cruise I've almost hanged myself on the Mrs panty hose hanging in the shower, nearly fallen & broken my neck after stumbling over one of the half dozen shoes the Mrs. brings ... AND, how about someone just chucking you overboard.[/quote]

That made my day. Thanks for the laugh. I am sure my husband feels the same way sometimes.

Glad I have been checking in with CC recently! We cruised to Alaska last June and we brought wine onboard - just for our pre-dinner drinks - and then had another glass with our dinner using a wine package that we purchased onboard - we aren't winos but hey we were on vacation! There weren't any issues then nor on any of our previous cruises. Now we are sent to the Naughty Room!

And really, "electronic transformers"? What qualifies as an "electronic transformer?" Any of my chargers for cell phones, pc's, cameras? And I've read on these boards recently about FANS too. I have brought my little plastic fan on several cruises.

[quote name='PATRLR']I hadn't heard about the Naughty Room before.

Disney simpy removes the offending item, saves it, delivers the bag with a note in it. That is the service I expect, not this idea of my needing to hunt down my bag and go pick it up.[/quote]
They open your bag when you're not there and help themselves to its contents? That's not "service" that's robbery! I'll stick with RCI, thank you, where they call you to open your bag in their presence to locate any questionable items. Would everybody else prefer they just open your luggage without you there?...Maureen

[quote name='Ambrosia64']Not that I know anything at all about this - because I don't - tho my fiancee has some Scottish blood in him....

According to wiki (I know it's not definitive), the law in UK makes exceptions for Scottish dress..
The CJA 1988 mainly relates to carrying knives in public places, section 139 being the most important:
(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any person who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public place shall be guilty of an offence. (2) Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except a folding pocketknife. (3) This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches. (4) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place. The phrase "good reason" in subsection 4 is intended to allow for "common sense" possession of knives, so that it is legal to carry a knife if there is a [I]bona fide[/I] reason to do so. Subsection 5 gives some specific examples of [I]bona fide[/I] reasons: a knife for use at work (e.g. a chef's knife), as part of a national costume (e.g. a sgian dubh for the Scottish national costume), or for religious reasons (e.g. a Sikh Kirpan).[/quote]

Totally correct.

[COLOR=black]In the United Kingdom, it is legal under the [/COLOR][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Criminal_Justice_Act_1988&action=edit&redlink=1"][COLOR=black]Criminal Justice Act 1988[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=black] (section 139) and the [/COLOR][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Offensive_Weapons_Act_1996&action=edit&redlink=1"][COLOR=black]Offensive Weapons Act 1996[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=black] (section 3 and 4) for someone wearing the national costume of Scotland to carry a Sgian Dubh.[/COLOR]

Judi

I got lucky last year. I had a full bottle of my vodka in my carry on to the ship, and it went right thru.
This year however I really don;t want to take a chance. What do you folks think about if I filled my vodka in 2 water bottles and put the bottles in my pants pockets and wearing a shirt on the outside?
I know this sounds petty, but I really enjoy a nip im my room before going out.
Please Help! lol..

[quote name='maureencruiser']They open your bag when you're not there and help themselves to its contents? That's not "service" that's robbery! I'll stick with RCI, thank you, where they call you to open your bag in their presence to locate any questionable items. Would everybody else prefer they just open your luggage without you there?...Maureen[/quote]

I wouldn't want them opening my bag without me there because I usually have a "Trojan Horse" in it. I pack my Diet Dr. Pepper in vacuumed sealed bags placed inside zip lock bags. Hopefully, if they call me down to the naughty room and ask me to open my bag and I show them the Dr. Pepper, they won't go any further, if you get my drift. I don't want them "rooting" around anyway. While I might not have anything of great value in there, it would be an inconvenience to have a piece of clothing or a package of hose lifted. Plus, you can bet they would not put things back as neatly as they found them so everything would be wrinkled.

Never been tested but that accidently worked for a friend of mine on NCL. She had vodka in a water bottle in her husband's shoe and Bloody Mary mix in a bottle wrapped in bubble wrap with a sweater around it in the suitcase, too. They called her down, held up the Bloody Mary mix and asked her if it was alcohol and she told them it wasn't, read the label, so they gave it back to her and told her to continue on her way.

Tucker in Texas

Archived