The Naughty Room

I bring scissors all the time for the knitting I bring on board, never mind the knitting needles. I think you ran into so overzealous employees.

Is there anything in the cruise contract that says you cannot take scissors on board? :confused:

From RCI website:

What Not To Pack

For the safely of our guests' date=' the following items are not allowed onboard and will be confiscated upon being found: Electrical Transformers, Coffee Makers, Candles, Irons, Illegal Drugs, Flammable Liquids and Explosives, such as fireworks. For security purposes, we also recommend not packing any valuables (such as jewelry) in your checked luggage.

[/color']

You are right, Janice. And I think that Sue has pegged the reason.

I always carry scissors, too, and have never had a problem.

I've always packed my figure skates (which are not permitted as carry-on luggage by the airlines) and have never had a problem. If small scissors were a concern, 12 inch blades (that are as sharp as scissors) with jagged toe picks certainly should would have caused a concern.

I can only say that that's the suitcase which is always the last to get to our cabin (and makes me the most nervouse because it's expensive baggage!) so I would assume it get's scanned.

Nonetheless, I've nver been questioned about it.

When we went through security on our Rhapsody cruise, I emptied my pockets into the little basket. along with my keys and loose change was my pocket knife that I forgot to leave in the car. They never said a word and it sat in the stateroom safe the whole trip. I know they saw it cause the guy looked at everything in the basket.

I hadn't heard about the Naughty Room before.

We had a bag held on deck one a few weeks ago on the Mariner. The thing that irked me was that it was almost 8:00PM and no bag and no call (I wasn't expecting a call) and our cabin steward suggested we go to deck 1 which is where I found the bag. Turns out they hadn't called ANYONE yet - there had to have been 30 or 40 bags down there.

Disney simpy removes the offending item, saves it, delivers the bag with a note in it. That is the service I expect, not this idea of my needing to hunt down my bag and go pick it up.

• 1 month later...

We had scissors confiscated from our checked baggage on Vision last week. When we went down to Deck 1 to find our baggage, which hadn't turned up outside our cabin, we were greeted with a sizeable crew which continued to grow while we were there. Everyone that was in the queue in front of us was having scissors removed from their baggage for safe keeping. It was all quite bizarre, and if that wasn't odd enough, that was only the 'dangerous goods' queue. The alcohol queue was on Deck 2 and was equally chaotic!

The one that baffles me is the electrical transformer. Almost everyone on the planet travels with several of these. The charger for all of your electrical devices (laptop, cell phone, digital camera, dvd player, etc.) include one.

Ah, the things lawyers advise.:D

jc

I guess they also restrict access to the silverware?

We once had a sweet old lady who disembarked in Long Beach. She had eaten every meal in her cabin but her steward never found any cutlery or dishes to clear away. Each day the lady would say she liked to clear away her own dishes and had already tidied up.

The steward mentioned this to the Staff Captain who pointed the lady out to security during disembarkation.

Security recovered a full set of china and silverware.

We once had a sweet old lady who disembarked in Long Beach. She had eaten every meal in her cabin but her steward never found any cutlery or dishes to clear away. Each day the lady would say she liked to clear away her own dishes and had already tidied up.

The steward mentioned this to the Staff Captain who pointed the lady out to security during disembarkation.

Security recovered a full set of china and silverware.

Hilarious!!!

This is the silliest thing I have heard about confiscation. Don't they have sharp knives on board to cut steak? Much more dangerous than itty bitty sissors I would think.

My thoughts exactly. On an airplane, which is a small sealed environment, sharp objects can be a danger as has been demonstrated. On a ship, however, there are knives and other sharp (not to mention blunt & heavy) objects everywhere. To consider a small pair of scissors as a security threat is absurd. This is another case of a government bureaucracy gone astray, lead by small minded and under qualified mini bureaucrats with no sense of context or reason. Boy, I can’t wait until these types of people are in charge of my health care. :eek::eek::eek:

My DH carries small scissor to trim his beard on every cruise and we have never had any problems... maybe I will worn him that he might be a little shaggy by the end of this cruise..;):D;)

My thoughts exactly. On an airplane, which is a small sealed environment, sharp objects can be a danger as has been demonstrated. On a ship, however, there are knives and other sharp (not to mention blunt & heavy) objects everywhere. To consider a small pair of scissors as a security threat is absurd. This is another case of a government bureaucracy gone astray, lead by small minded and under qualified mini bureaucrats with no sense of context or reason. Boy, I can’t wait until these types of people are in charge of my health care. :eek::eek::eek:

Was it the cruise line staff or the bureaucrats?

Skean Dhu - the knife that I believe gets tucked into the sock of a person wearing full dress Scottish wear, including kilt, sporran, and sash. Is this correct?

With all the limitations on sharp objects, etc. when flying, I'm wondering . . . why bring it with you?

I SWEAR I'M NOT FLAMING (although I am gay, and some might say so)!!! I'm just curious as to why it's brought on vacation. Is it because the formal wear isn't complete without it? Is it that a good Scot isn't caught dead without it when in full regalia?

I'm just a curious person, and I'd like to know. Thanks.

(Struggles to get into his flame retardant suit; darn doughnuts!)

--Michael

We sailed on the Enchantment this weekend. As it was a short cruise, many people just brought carry on luggage. The security people were confiscating irons and steamers. Lo and behold, a few hours later, we were browsing the shops on board and there they were - travel steamers for sale - and you could bring it back to your cabin. I asked one of the ship's officers for an explanation and he just shrugged and looked embarrassed.

There's definately some differences from one ship to another regarding what you can bring aboard.

On Serenade last January for example, not once was anyone around at port stops to check in alcohol purchased on shore. I wound up with rum conveniently available in the cabin most of the cruise.

[quote name='janabelle61']Just returned from a great cruise, and wanted to let everyone know that we learned of a restriction that we were previously unaware of...

When we boarded Rhapsody in Hawaii, one of my sister's bags was not delivered to our room with the rest. Before dinner, she received a call saying she must pick her bag up from a deck 1. We've both cruised many times before, so were well aware of the "naughty room". We knew it wasn't alcohol smuggling, so were baffled. She went to retrieve her bag and discovered that it was [I]scissors[/I] - small scissors she uses for her needlepoint!! Secruity questioned her at length, went through her bag, asked if she had opened it before they arrived - in short took it quite seriously.

I'm posting this just to share the info - she had no idea that scissors weren't allowed and we met others on the ship who had the same issue.

The funny part of the story is that the scissors were actually in my sister's second bag - the one delivered to our room. Security screened both bags and tagged the wrong one :rolleyes: so she was able to honestly tell them there were no scissors in THAT bag ;).[/QUOTE]

The same thing happened to me on the Voyager last February. I had to show the security guard my telescopic walking stick I had put in my checked bag. It took a while to make her understand why I needed it. Next February I'm just going to carry it when I get on and save myself another trip down to the "Naughty Room" LOL

[quote name='unklez']Was it the cruise line staff or the bureaucrats?[/quote]

I am assuming that it is the TSA or some other government agency doing the searching. I guess I just could not picture the cruise lines paying someone to search luggage for scissors, at least without some sort of government mandate. Heck, they can't even afford drinks for Diamond members any more, how can they afford private scissor police? I could be wrong here, though.

It was all Vision security staff last week who were doing the scissor searching as far as I could see. Blimey, there were at least four of them on scissor duty on deck 1 doing repeated xrays on cases to locate said scissors, packaging up the scissors and then completing scissor documentation so each affected passenger had a 'scissor receipt'. It was barmy :eek:

I always have scissors in my checked bag in an outside compartment because I use cable locks to secure the suitcase and need the scissors to cut them off. While I realize that the cable locks won't keep a thief out of my suitcase, it might slow one down enough to move on to the Louis V. suitcase next to it. Plus, when I retrieve my bag at the airport, I can tell immediately if someone has been in it (I paint it with ugly green nail polish to make sure it is mine and not a replacement) and check it out before leaving for any missing items. So far, my scissors have made it through. Guess I'll have to go up to the WJ and get a steak knife to cut them open if they take up my blunt nosed scissors from when my 35 year old was in kindergarten and first grade.

Tucker in Texas

[quote name='Tucker in Texas']I have scissors in an outside pocket of my suitcase to cut the cable locks when I get my baggage. Never had it taken up and just got off the Navigator of the Seas last week.

Tucker in Texas[/quote]

I do the same thing and have not had an issue so far.

[quote name='numberguy']Skean Dhu - the knife that I believe gets tucked into the sock of a person wearing full dress Scottish wear, including kilt, sporran, and sash. Is this correct?

With all the limitations on sharp objects, etc. when flying, I'm wondering . . . why bring it with you?

--Michael[/quote]

For protection.

I am reliably informed that there is nothing between a Scot and the nasty world outside, but a skirt and a bit of dead squirrel.

So if I bring my Swiss Army Knife (no good reason - I usually do on holiday, just in case) is it better to carry it on board myself?

This is the opposite of what one does at an airport but presumably I would then have the opportunity of explaining things very slowly and carefully to the bored and resentful security operative and maybe save myself a trip to the naughty room? I am sure that would be grounds for legal action - having to queue up with alcohol smugglers for something that was allowed anyway.

Archived