The Naughty Room

Just returned from a great cruise, and wanted to let everyone know that we learned of a restriction that we were previously unaware of...

When we boarded Rhapsody in Hawaii, one of my sister's bags was not delivered to our room with the rest. Before dinner, she received a call saying she must pick her bag up from a deck 1. We've both cruised many times before, so were well aware of the "naughty room". We knew it wasn't alcohol smuggling, so were baffled. She went to retrieve her bag and discovered that it was scissors - small scissors she uses for her needlepoint!! Secruity questioned her at length, went through her bag, asked if she had opened it before they arrived - in short took it quite seriously.

I'm posting this just to share the info - she had no idea that scissors weren't allowed and we met others on the ship who had the same issue.

The funny part of the story is that the scissors were actually in my sister's second bag - the one delivered to our room. Security screened both bags and tagged the wrong one :rolleyes: so she was able to honestly tell them there were no scissors in THAT bag ;).

That's really surprising because scissors with blades up to 4" are permitted by the TSA.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

I always carry scissors - either little ones for sewing emergencies, or medium sized for needlework. I haven't been stopped on a ship or a plane for at least 2 years!

WOW! Who knew? :eek:

Never knew that room actually had a name. ;) Hope I'm never called to the naughty room! I guess you never know when you're going to have a new cruise experience.:)

That's really surprising because scissors with blades up to 4" are permitted by the TSA.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

I always carry scissors - either little ones for sewing emergencies, or medium sized for needlework. I haven't been stopped on a ship or a plane for at least 2 years!

She had no problem flying with them, but ship security flagged her - it was a surprise to both of us!! Another person at our table had the scissors she uses to trim her bangs confiscated (they tagged the right bag in her case). I can't say how long the blades were, but I know my sister's were not 4".

WOW! Who knew? :eek:

Never knew that room actually had a name. ;) Hope I'm never called to the naughty room! I guess you never know when you're going to have a new cruise experience.:)

I see you're sailing on the Rhapsody soon! We had a great time and really enjoyed the ship and crew. Most of the crew that we spoke with will be on through the Alaska season, so I'm hoping to go later this year since I wouldn't have to fly to the port.

This is the silliest thing I have heard about confiscation. Don't they have sharp knives on board to cut steak? Much more dangerous than itty bitty sissors I would think.

Exactly... that is crazy!!! Far more things more dangerous on a cruise than scissors. Jeeze!

So anyways,... was there alot of smuggled alcohol in the naughty room? :p

JK

A~

LOTS!!! When my sister arrived, she was told to wait for the security people. While she waited, dozens of people came to pick up their bags and get the ticket to pick up the booze when they left the ship. At least they didn't get quized by secruity!

I always have to go to the naughty room to get one bag. My OH wears a kilt with a Skean Dhu, but he has one for travel that is completely blunt. We pack it on the top to show it as soon as this happens, and so far so good :) At least they are vigilant :)

Scissors causing a problem inside a checked bag is crazy. As stated in other replies there are many things as dangerous. At least once a cruise I've almost hanged myself on the Mrs panty hose hanging in the shower, nearly fallen & broken my neck after stumbling over one of the half dozen shoes the Mrs. brings ... AND, how about someone just chucking you overboard.

Is there anything in the cruise contract that says you cannot take scissors on board? :confused:

From RCI website:

What Not To Pack

For the safely of our guests, the following items are not allowed onboard and will be confiscated upon being found: Electrical Transformers, Coffee Makers, Candles, Irons, Illegal Drugs, Flammable Liquids and Explosives, such as fireworks. For security purposes, we also recommend not packing any valuables (such as jewelry) in your checked luggage.

My bag held by security on Mariner for my Leatherman tool. Head of security told me any bag with items that looked like a blade are tagged and held.

Multi tools were not confiscated just checked. Any blade over 4 inches were held, mostly Diving Knives, pocket knives and scissors.

This was a spring break cruise and the Security had filled 5 large laundry carts with booze.

This is funny. We brought on a small coffee maker and a small fan. My son used his backpack and had his school scissors in it...made it through both of our flights! BUT on the way home, my hair gel and another hair product accidently got put in a bag we carried on and they threw it away:(...it would have been cheaper to pay the $25 to check the bag!

I bring scissors all the time for the knitting I bring on board, never mind the knitting needles. I think you ran into so overzealous employees.

I agree with Sue here...they security let half the booze pass thru and stop OP over small scissors...:eek: Ok, glad they work on the ship and not the airport...

It's odd what security people will do sometimes.

We had a small fan confiscated once, no one believed me here :rolleyes:

Just got back from the Mariner Mexico to San Fran cruise. This is our first experience with the naughty room!!

I love diet dr pepper --- and we packed a few of the ~17oz plastic bottles (the size from a vending machine) in each of our two bags along with a small desk fan.

So, ONE of the suitcases didn't make it to our room and we got a call telling us to report to deck 1 security as alcohol is not allowed to be brought on. Anyway, DH went down and once they saw the bottles weren't opened, they were fine and let him take them.

BTW, I knit also and always carry scissors and needles. This time these were in my carry on but we weren't stopped.

:confused: scratching head . . .

Archived