Star One Day Vancouver - Seattle - Port Mess

vickie_bernie

I just got off the Star from a one night sailing Vancouver to Seattle. I just finished my review but it is posted on my blog

http://vickiesadventure.blogspot.com/

The cruise was great but the port of Vancouver and the Port of Seattle were a mess and long long delays!

Hi, Vickie,

What a great day it was on Saturday to leave on a cruise! And, what a great way to make Elite!!

I see that you are leaving for Alaska on Saturday. Hope the weather co-operates for you and that you enjoy your cruise.:) :) Enjoy your new elite status!!

Anita

I was working at Canada Place on Saturday (for Princess) and have to agree that it was, indeed, as mess! First off we were held up when Star arrived late from San Fran. We didn't start disembarking until after 11am, then the bags were delayed and didn't start coming off until almost 12pm. It was a long, slow, disembark process as it was a full sailing. We got done around 1:35pm and then had to set everything up for check in and embarkation, which we started at 2pm. To make matters worse, we were located on the West side instead of the east (the normal Princess dock) and we had only a third of the space we normally have. I was shocked by the huge line ups in the terminal - I have never seen it quite so bad before, but I guess with 3 ships in at once it makes for a lot of people. The whole time I was checking people in for the Star I kept thinking what a bummer it was that for a one night cruise, most of the day was spent standing in line! I have to say, though, there were a LOT of first timers and last minute people that did not have any of the documentation filled out online. We have to enter all this stuff manually for each and every passenger that hasn't already done it and it sure holds things up! Anyways, sounds like the OP had a good time and took it all in stride! Hopefully it will get better as we get further into the season. Sure hope it does by Saturday, as I will be heading out from Canada Place myself!

Disembarkation in Seattle was also a mess. We were given a ticket for Group E disembarking. We sat In Explorer's Lounge for ages waiting to announce Group A. Nothing was announced and we saw people filing past the windows exiting on promenade deck. Still no announcement for any Group A, B, C etc. The lines inside the ship grew progressively bigger and we decided to get in line. We were behind people with Group M tickets and there was not one announcement for disembarking priority.

Fortunately US customs were very quick and we had a short line for a taxi. The driver said that conditions were terrible for entering the port and he said that he didn't think he would return to the port. We saw many, many taxis stalled in big line ups to get in to pick passengers up.

...First off we were held up when Star arrived late from San Fran. We didn't start disembarking until after 11am, then the bags were delayed and didn't start coming off until almost 12pm. It was a long, slow, disembark process as it was a full sailing. We got done around 1:35pm...

And then I see posts from people asking if they will have any problem getting to that 10:00 AM flight

I have noticed on our last 2 cruises,That alot of people dont have their paperwork in order,we went past those long lines,as we were waived ahead,because we had done our paperwork,and had everything ready,i saw lots of people searching their carry-ons,for this or that,and it holds everyone up,I try to tell everyone i can about cruisecritic,so they can learn how to be ready when boarding,and it amazes me how many people still dont have their passports,they come up to the counter with copies of their birth certificates,mixed in with copies of their tours and flight itineraries,so a family of 4 has 10 different sheets of paper,that the clerk has to sort thru,to get them checked in,and it slows everything down,It took us about 10 minutes from time we left taxi to being onboard,because we were prepared:rolleyes:

Hopefully things will get better in Seattle quickly as I board the Star next Sunday the 17th for Alaska. I sailed on her in Jan and Capt Oliver and Lee Childers were aboard then. Are they staying on for the Alaska season?

You'll like being Elite for your next cruise :)

We did a one night cruise last year on the Golden Princess from Vancouver to Seattle after a 1 week Wine Country cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver and also found it HORRIBLE!!! The cruise terminal was a zoo and people were in snake line for hours and hours. We checked our bags at the baggage check area for a fee and went out for the day rather than stay in the terminal. Never again for us a one day cruise, especially when it is the first cruise of the season at the terminal and there are several ships in port.

Anita

We did a one night cruise last year on the Golden Princess from Vancouver to Seattle after a 1 week Wine Country cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver and also found it HORRIBLE!!! The cruise terminal was a zoo and people were in snake line for hours and hours. We checked our bags at the baggage check area for a fee and went out for the day rather than stay in the terminal. Never again for us a one day cruise, especially when it is the first cruise of the season at the terminal and there are several ships in port.

Anita

I remember those posts. :eek:

Archived