Vegans and HAL - Nope

CroneWynd

My husband and I sailed on the ms Statendam, May 5th through May 10th. We were in a veranda stateroom.

I had previously notified, via our travel agent, that we are vegans. When we embarked, we made our first night's dinner reservation, and I told the person handling that about us being vegan. He told us that there was nothing to be done for that evening, but our restaurant steward would give us the vegetarian menu for the next night.

I was very dismayed to discover that over 75% of the items on the vegetarian menu contain eggs and dairy products. This left me with a small number of items to select from. I was even more dismayed to discover that this one menu was meant to meet my dining needs for the entire cruise. When I asked about a small change to an item, I was informed that such changes were not possible. So, not only was there just the one menu, but for the entire cruise I would be selecting from 5 items.

One of the items, called a "Hodge Podge of Escarole" ended up being a mound of mashed potatoes on a veggie burger. In a bun. Yes, this is fine dining, indeed.

The food was obviously steam tabled for an extended period of time, with very mushy, overcooked vegetables, and dried out breading on items. Since we had dinner reservations, the cook staff knew when we would be there, and could have prepared our food accordingly.

We tried the Lido, as well, as I figured I could put together something tasty from the buffet. No. If there was a "vegetarian choice" on the Lido, it contained eggs, dairy, and once, even bacon! I'm not sure who their head chef is, but this person apparently does not have a clue about what vegetarian means. There was basic lettuce mix, without any sort of variety, and a few salad items, like tomatoes, green peppers, and onions. I could not even get oil and vinegar on the Lido buffet.

This is totally not acceptable. When we go on a cruise, fine dining is part of our experience. This was lousy dining.

We sailed on Princess last fall. Every evening, the head waiter would bring the REGULAR menu to our table for the next evening, go over it with us, and make note of all the changes required to make our meal vegan. We had an amazing variety of food, freshly prepared, and did not feel in the least that we were settling for less than what others enjoyed.

Not so on the Statendam. I felt like I should have brought a sack lunch!

After dinner, I asked for a soy cappuccino. First, I was told that I could not get soy. Excuse me?

Oh, and when asking for things at dinner, the stewards do not repeat back what you said. This allows a fair amount of mistakes. Our steward would not repeat back “soy cappuccino”. He would only say cappuccino. How do I know that he comprehends that it must be soy milk?

I was less than impressed with service on HAL. While there seemed to be a lot of staff, they apparently will not go one single extra step to provide service. I asked for coffee at one of the bars (my husband was getting a mixed drink at the time), and was told to go get it from the Lido myself. This shocked me. On Princess, when my husband ordered a drink, coffee was provided to me, without complaint. What really surprises me about this, is there are coffee-based drinks on the bar menus! How do they manage to make those, if there is no coffee?

There was no attempt made by any server on board to learn our names, or our preferences.

I was also a bit disturbed by the Explorations Cafe coffee bar. While there is a lovely barista machine, with proper cups stacked on it, whenever we would go there for a coffee, the espresso was obtained from an automatic machine instead, the shots allowed to go sour before the soy milk was added, and the drinks were served in paper cups. Paper cups? Well, I suppose the quality of the espresso drinks only deserved the paper cups, but it did seem rather cheap and tacky to me. The barista machine was, apparently, only for show.

I did not have a great cruise on HAL. The service levels were really substandard, and the food was of poor quality, and extremely limited selection. I will go back to Princess, where I will be able to enjoy truly fine dining, and the personal service. Princess coffee bar staff know how to use a barista machine, too.

It is good to know that Princess is so accomodating to special dietary needs. I have read of other complaints about HAL not providing for those with special dietary needs. As you said, it does seem like their chef's are not trained in what is vegan. I have also read of issues with those needing a gluten free diet.

I don't see vegan as a dietary "need" at all. It's a choice - and a bizarre one at that. If I was making a similar choice with my diet there's no way I'd expect a mass market cruise line or chain restaurant to cater to my idiosyncracies (spelling might be wrong). The real world eats normal food...doing otherwise you can't expect to be accomodated everywhere.

Sue/WDW1972

Eurodam 11/07/09

One of my friends is a vegetarian - obviously she has wider food choices than you do - and she has always found HAL accommodating.

I eat very little meat or fish [though not a vegetarian] and I often order from the vegetarian menu as well. I don't recall ever running into something labeled vegetarian that contained bacon! :eek:

I do see a vegan or vegetarian diet as being a need -- just as a kosher diet is also a special need.

Passengers have certain dietary requirements [AKA "needs"] that must be met, for whatever reason.

It's not right to call that need "bizarre" or to imply it's abnormal.

I am sorry HAL did not appear to be able to meet your needs.

Did you attempt to talk with any of the managers?

My husband and I sailed on the ms Statendam, May 5th through May 10th. We were in a veranda stateroom.

I had previously notified, via our travel agent, that we are vegans. When we embarked, we made our first night's dinner reservation, and I told the person handling that about us being vegan. He told us that there was nothing to be done for that evening, but our restaurant steward would give us the vegetarian menu for the next night.

I was very dismayed to discover that over 75% of the items on the vegetarian menu contain eggs and dairy products. This left me with a small number of items to select from. I was even more dismayed to discover that this one menu was meant to meet my dining needs for the entire cruise. When I asked about a small change to an item, I was informed that such changes were not possible. So, not only was there just the one menu, but for the entire cruise I would be selecting from 5 items.

One of the items, called a "Hodge Podge of Escarole" ended up being a mound of mashed potatoes on a veggie burger. In a bun. Yes, this is fine dining, indeed.

The food was obviously steam tabled for an extended period of time, with very mushy, overcooked vegetables, and dried out breading on items. Since we had dinner reservations, the cook staff knew when we would be there, and could have prepared our food accordingly.

We tried the Lido, as well, as I figured I could put together something tasty from the buffet. No. If there was a "vegetarian choice" on the Lido, it contained eggs, dairy, and once, even bacon! I'm not sure who their head chef is, but this person apparently does not have a clue about what vegetarian means. There was basic lettuce mix, without any sort of variety, and a few salad items, like tomatoes, green peppers, and onions. I could not even get oil and vinegar on the Lido buffet.

This is totally not acceptable. When we go on a cruise, fine dining is part of our experience. This was lousy dining.

We sailed on Princess last fall. Every evening, the head waiter would bring the REGULAR menu to our table for the next evening, go over it with us, and make note of all the changes required to make our meal vegan. We had an amazing variety of food, freshly prepared, and did not feel in the least that we were settling for less than what others enjoyed.

Not so on the Statendam. I felt like I should have brought a sack lunch!

After dinner, I asked for a soy cappuccino. First, I was told that I could not get soy. Excuse me?

Oh, and when asking for things at dinner, the stewards do not repeat back what you said. This allows a fair amount of mistakes. Our steward would not repeat back “soy cappuccino”. He would only say cappuccino. How do I know that he comprehends that it must be soy milk?

I was less than impressed with service on HAL. While there seemed to be a lot of staff, they apparently will not go one single extra step to provide service. I asked for coffee at one of the bars (my husband was getting a mixed drink at the time), and was told to go get it from the Lido myself. This shocked me. On Princess, when my husband ordered a drink, coffee was provided to me, without complaint. What really surprises me about this, is there are coffee-based drinks on the bar menus! How do they manage to make those, if there is no coffee?

There was no attempt made by any server on board to learn our names, or our preferences.

I was also a bit disturbed by the Explorations Cafe coffee bar. While there is a lovely barista machine, with proper cups stacked on it, whenever we would go there for a coffee, the espresso was obtained from an automatic machine instead, the shots allowed to go sour before the soy milk was added, and the drinks were served in paper cups. Paper cups? Well, I suppose the quality of the espresso drinks only deserved the paper cups, but it did seem rather cheap and tacky to me. The barista machine was, apparently, only for show.

I did not have a great cruise on HAL. The service levels were really substandard, and the food was of poor quality, and extremely limited selection. I will go back to Princess, where I will be able to enjoy truly fine dining, and the personal service. Princess coffee bar staff know how to use a barista machine, too.

I'm sorry that you had a less-than-wonderful experience on your HAL cruise. But as you've already discovered, complaining about anything pertaining to your HAL cruise on this board (unless it is the lack of trays in the Lido or music that is too loud) will subject you to ridicule and other personal attacks from the rabid HAL fans here. HAL can do no wrong in their eyes. Consequently, any problems encountered must have been your own fault due to your bizarre diet, philosophy of life, or other idiosyncratic abnormalities.

I'm sorry that you had a less-than-wonderful experience on your HAL cruise. But as you've already discovered, complaining about anything pertaining to your HAL cruise on this board (unless it is the lack of trays in the Lido or music that is too loud) will subject you to ridicule and other personal attacks from the rabid HAL fans here. HAL can do no wrong in their eyes. Consequently, any problems encountered must have been your own fault due to your bizarre diet, philosophy of life, or other idiosyncratic abnormalities.

All of the boards tend to be like that- it's quite amusing. Though I suppose in a way it comforts me. They all must be doing something right to have earned such unwavering love from their fans :)

To the OP- I'm sorry for your experience. It really does sound like a lack of effort was made. Mashed potatoes on a veggie burger on a bun, yuck! I'm not vegan myself but have friends who are, and they most certainly eat much better than that at Chipotle (a chain mexican restaurant) of all places.

While I am empathetic to you regarding your experience, I must say that it is completely off-center from that of my DW. She has a very severe allergy to any food containing the minutest amount of egg products and consequently often finds vegan fare to be the safest. That having been said, we planned in advance by notifying the ship for each and every HAL cruise, of her problem. Excepting the first day onboard, they presented the menu and she would discuss with the head waiter what she could and could not have. In many cases, they even would make a special version of the entree or side dish for her - sans eggs.

I would suggest that if there is a next time - and there should be as HAL is very good cruise line, you might try working more closely with the hired help and using honey/sugar and get what you are after in the way of food.

We also cruise on Crystal a couple times a year and while it is 6-star, HAL's service is every bit as accommodating as Crystal .. for a lot less money. Granted, the entrees are more limited, but that is an anticipated difference.

harry

I was on the same cruise and have to say that I really enjoyed the cruise. This was my first cruise on HAL.

However, I can understand if dietary need were not met that it can really impact the experience.

I didn't have any of the experience CroneWynd had with regards to food but that is due to not having any special needs with regards to that.

I thought the food was one of the best of all the cruises I have done.

Especially the deserts were wonderful, I had to walk 8 times, 2 miles, around the Lower Promenade each night to walk off the extra calories.:)

But I hope that the OP enjoyed the rest of the cruise.

I found the service to be very good, had wonderful experience with Shannon, the Internet Manager, who credited back half of my package because often we did not get coverage, without any problems or me even asking. There were several other experiences like that.

It felt more intimate and personal.

I found the service in the Lido to be better then on any of the other cruiselines I have been on, much more attentive, smiling and there were trays!

The ports were also very unique and enjoyable.

I will definetly cruise HAL again, it's become a cruise line that is on the top of my list now.

I thought the food was one of the best of all the cruises I have done.

Especially the deserts were wonderful, I had to walk 8 times, 2 miles, around the Lower Promenade each night to walk off the extra calories.:)

Can you tell me which desserts you enjoyed? I only indulge in dessert a few times a year so I like to make it worth my while:D. I found the desserts to be bland on the Statendam in Nov.08. They used to be so good on HAL but they have really gone downhill IMO. I love anything chocolate and cheesecake.....but it has to be New York Style. That fluffly low cal stuff doesn't cut it:D.

HAL has a vegetarian entree each evening as well as a separate vegetarian menu. While some items may be vegan, there is not a separate vegan menu. The regular menu vegetarian entree usually has eggs &/or dairy, but is sometimes vegan. Other regular menu courses usually have a vegetarian choice, but not always. They also are usually not vegan.

OP should have had her TA check before booking the cruise. OP would then have known HAL doesn't have specifically vegan choices. As a vegetarian who was vegan for a couple of years, I'm surprised that OP and her husband booked a cruise without checking on this.

We are happy with the choices we have on HAL cruises and have never gone hungry. We generally find more choices than we do in many restaurants.

We've also sailed on Princess and were not impressed with the food or service.

I feel when you have a specialized diet, you will get disappointed at times. I can't have eggs (not nearly as bad as the above poster's wife) and I basically have to forgo dessert or deal with the hives that come with it. So, I look for those things that I know I can eat and be safe unless I feel adventurous and being itchy for an evening. On Carnival, that meant I could have sherbet every night. Oh, well, I lived. I guess when you choose to restrict yourself to such a small amount of food (and I believe vegan is a choice, not a necessity unless you have a medical condition), you will have to deal with the fact that you won't get to have as yummy of food as you had hoped.

Can you tell me which desserts you enjoyed? I only indulge in dessert a few times a year so I like to make it worth my while:D. I found the desserts to be bland on the Statendam in Nov.08. They used to be so good on HAL but they have really gone downhill IMO. I love anything chocolate and cheesecake.....but it has to be New York Style. That fluffly low cal stuff doesn't cut it:D.

They had a really wonderful raspberry mousse, there was something with a custard like creme in the middle with a base and a top I really don't know what you would call it.

I ate something similar in Europe and they call it "Cremeschnitte".

This particular on the Statendam was really good.

They also had creme puffs, the bigger sized ones and different kind of cheesecakes which were on the creamy side.

Since this was my first HAL cruise I was maybe just excited because I haven't had so much variety on the other lines.

Actually on NCL and even Disney the desert choice was the same every night.

Carnival had lots of deserts but the quality wasn't there.

What I really liked is that there was a different variety each night.

This is just my viewpoint and I grew up in a country where deserts are a very important part of daily life, especially in the afternoon with a good cup of coffee.

I don't think it was low cal stuff since I had to do a lot of extra walking during this cruise.:)

Yvrnavigator,

I'm not trying to be rude, but it is driving me batty that you are spelling dessert wrong. I teach school and I can't help myself. Remember that strawberry shortcake has two s's and so does dessert. Thank you.

Yvrnavigator,

I'm not trying to be rude, but it is driving me batty that you are spelling dessert wrong. I teach school and I can't help myself. Remember that strawberry shortcake has two s's and so does dessert. Thank you.

My appologies.

I am quite good and well versed in the english language, but it isn't my first language and little slip ups like that do happen.

Luckily this forum is about cruising and not spelling.:)

I'll try to do better next time.

Do I still get an A- or B+ for the rest?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovebug33 viewpost.gif

Yvrnavigator,

My appologies.

I am quite good and well versed in the english language, but it isn't my first language and little slip ups like that do happen.

Luckily this forum is about cruising and not spelling.:)

I'll try to do better next time.

Do I still get an A- or B+ for the rest?

Yvrnavigator, No need to apologize you get an A+ in my book thanks for your input. Now I know what kind of DESERT to look for.

Thank You,

Dianne

CC GUIDE LINES:

Spelling and Grammar Errors It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

CroneWynd,

I know how you feel.

One of my favourite foods is dog meat.

A very popular dish in China - especially in Winter.

Neither HAL nor Princess were flexible enough to provide it to me.

I guess that those of us with diets that are considered exotic or alternative should consider something other than a mass market Middle America cruise line when we go on vacation and require special foods. Or perhaps we should try to be a bit flexible and try to enjoy whatever it is that the mass market cruise lines do best.

Many years ago I managed a very high end and famous Beef Restaurant in New York City.

Every week I met people at the door who claimed to be vegetarians and wanted to know what we could do for them. The answer: "Sorry - Nothing".

You can be reactive and complain on the boards or you could have been proactive on board the ship and enjoyed your HAL experience. Between the head waiter, hotel manager and the kitchen I am sure you could have had a pleasant dining experience, one thing we noticed about HAL, they listen!

:):):):):)

CroneWynd,

I know how you feel.

One of my favourite foods is dog meat.

A very popular dish in China - especially in Winter.

Neither HAL nor Princess were flexible enough to provide it to me.

I guess that those of us with diets that are considered exotic or alternative should consider something other than a mass market Middle America cruise line when we go on vacation and require special foods. Or perhaps we should try to be a bit flexible and try to enjoy whatever it is that the mass market cruise lines do best.

Many years ago I managed a very high end and famous Beef Restaurant in New York City.

Every week I met people at the door who claimed to be vegetarians and wanted to know what we could do for them. The answer: "Sorry - Nothing".

You reminded me of an experience we had in Beijing in 2007 while attending a dinner at the Great Hall sponsored by the Chinese government. It was quite an enjoyable evening, including the entertainment that ranged from symphonic accords to Beijing opera. The unusual part was dinner. As was the case in many dining establishments we experienced, there was a daisy wheel in the middle of our table of ten (or maybe twelve, i cant recall) with all the dishes we were to eat. We just helped ourselves. Unfortunately, we had no clue what most of the food might have been. I naturally tried everything except one item that looked like an eraser - two-toned green/brown and rubbery. To me the food was great; however, the lady to my DW's left ate absolutely nothing the whole evening. She said that she suspected someone's dog might be on the table and she could not bring herself to participate while thinking fondly of her FeeFee left back home.

So ... while some may savor such a dish, there are indeed others ...

Harry

Yvrnavigator,

You are rude!

:):):):):)

Dog meat?:eek:

Mass market cruising is a very democratic business.

They try to satisfy the wants and needs of the greatest possible percentage of the masses.

Certainly the number of people who regularly eat dog meat - basically the entire population of China (and large parts of Southeast Asia) - must vastly outnumber all the vegans/vegetarians on planet earth.

I would bet that the total dog meat fanciers greatly outnumbers those who prefer dead cows.

So it would be logical to assume that a cruise line would be more prepared and willing to cater to the diets of the numerous dog meat people that it would to relatively insignificant number of vegetable eaters.

I'm sorry if you took it as rude. I just wanted navigator to know so that they could spell it right next time. I guess I would want to know if I didn't spell something right so that I could spell it right another time. Sorry if I offended, I was trying to be helpful.

Archived