Vegans and HAL - Nope

CroneWynd

HAL does not handle vegetarians well, much less vegans. I understand your frustrations and disappointments, CroneWynd. The nonsense of having one vegetarian dinner menu for the entire cruise is ridiculous. Don't forget to order a day in advance. (You can get a book from Amazon more quickly.) Breakfasts and lunches are riskier. HAL is not a cruise line for vegetarians.

HAL does not handle vegetarians well, much less vegans. I understand your frustrations and disappointments, CroneWynd. The nonsense of having one vegetarian dinner menu for the entire cruise is ridiculous. Don't forget to order a day in advance. (You can get a book from Amazon more quickly.) Breakfasts and lunches are riskier. HAL is not a cruise line for vegetarians.

that is completely your opinion, to which I strongly disagree. After several cruises over the last decade on HAL ships I can say that dining is much easier for vegetarians than in most land-based restaurants. Aside from the separate vegetarian menu, there is at least one veg-friendly option on the menu each evening, so variety does exist. I have absolutely no problem with breakfasts or lunches, except for the fact that there is usually too much to choose from.

the vegetarian menu has at least 6-8 different entrees--even if you don't order from the main menu, you would not duplicate if you chose a different one each night. I'm not sure what you expect but I can say that I am very happy with the vegetarian options offered on HAL ships, considering that I've been offered a salad (or fish) as an option in many land-based restaurants.

I'm sorry if you took it as rude. I just wanted navigator to know so that they could spell it right next time. I guess I would want to know if I didn't spell something right so that I could spell it right another time. Sorry if I offended, I was trying to be helpful.

Sea Fan posted the CC guidelines regarding comments about Spelling and Grammar; I know it can be annoying - especialy for a teacher - but one has to just grin and bare (bear?!) it. Remember, not everyone on Cruise Critic speaks English as a first language and not everyone is good at spelling or typing (I am all three of those!)

I like the separate Hal vegetarian menu. I wish all cruiselines would adopt such a practice. My big complaint would be with the regular buffet salad choices. Not enough plain salads without chunks of meat in it. Put the bacon bits on the side as an added condiment please.

Pat

To the OP: did you discuss your vegan dining issues with anyone higher that the restaurant stewards? Talking to the dining room managare (or whatever the title is now) may get better results and if that is still not getting you what you need I think you would be able to talk to the Chief Cullinary Officer too. I have found the Hotel managers and CCO's to be quite approachable.

I don't see vegan as a dietary "need" at all. It's a choice - and a bizarre one at that. If I was making a similar choice with my diet there's no way I'd expect a mass market cruise line or chain restaurant to cater to my idiosyncracies (spelling might be wrong). The real world eats normal food...doing otherwise you can't expect to be accomodated everywhere.

Sue/WDW1972

Eurodam 11/07/09

Wow, a little harsh and judgmental, I'd say....where to begin...

Yes, being a vegetarian or a vegan is usually a choice, but not one arrived at lightly. Some of us make the decision for health-based reasons. For others, it's a moral decision--some find eating meat to be a tad repulsive. For many of us, it is a combination of both.

It is hard work--but I can say that over the 21 years that I have been a vegetarian it has definitely become easier. More and more food establishments are recognizing the growing number of customers who do not consume meat or animal products and offer creative options. For most of us, our family and friends usually consist of many non-vegetarians or non-vegans, so the opportunity to dine out and have everyone's needs met is most appreciated. The supermarkets also reflect the growing demand for non-animal based foods--it's a multi-billion dollar industry.

I realized when I chose this path that I was in the minority and would need to expect roadblocks. I carry a meal bar in my purse when dining out for just those circumstances. But, I can also tell you that I have never been healthier in regards to cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar.

to throw "bizarre" at people who are making a well-thought out decision to improve their health shows an amazing lack of comprehension. I think it's safe to say that "normal food" is not always the best option. Eating meat is also a choice, and I do not insult and name-call those who choose to do so.

They had a really wonderful raspberry mousse, there was something with a custard like creme in the middle with a base and a top I really don't know what you would call it.

I ate something similar in Europe and they call it "Cremeschnitte".

This particular on the Statendam was really good.

They also had creme puffs, the bigger sized ones and different kind of cheesecakes which were on the creamy side.

Since this was my first HAL cruise I was maybe just excited because I haven't had so much variety on the other lines.

Actually on NCL and even Disney the desert choice was the same every night.

Carnival had lots of deserts but the quality wasn't there.

What I really liked is that there was a different variety each night.

This is just my viewpoint and I grew up in a country where deserts are a very important part of daily life, especially in the afternoon with a good cup of coffee.

I don't think it was low cal stuff since I had to do a lot of extra walking during this cruise.:)

Thanks for the info. I'm not a whipped cream dessert kinda gal. That is probably why I didn't think they were too hot. Where is the chocolate:D?

that is completely your opinion, to which I strongly disagree. After several cruises over the last decade on HAL ships I can say that dining is much easier for vegetarians than in most land-based restaurants. Aside from the separate vegetarian menu, there is at least one veg-friendly option on the menu each evening, so variety does exist. I have absolutely no problem with breakfasts or lunches, except for the fact that there is usually too much to choose from.

the vegetarian menu has at least 6-8 different entrees--even if you don't order from the main menu, you would not duplicate if you chose a different one each night. I'm not sure what you expect but I can say that I am very happy with the vegetarian options offered on HAL ships, considering that I've been offered a salad (or fish) as an option in many land-based restaurants.

6-8 entrees was not much on our 12 day holiday cruise on the Volendam. It is hard to be a strict vegetarian on Holland America. Does the salad dressing contain gelatin? Are there bacon bits in anything? Is there lard in the pie crust? Do you want your vegetarian omelet cooked in the same pan as the ham omelets? Items that look like they are vegetarian are not necessarily vegetarian.

Here again are my notes from the cruise:

"Our vegetarian daughter faced some challenges. The vegetarian menu does not change for the duration and one of the entrees was unavailable. Items from this menu were not presented at the same time as ours was from the regular menu. She is not an adventurous eater. Not a big eater, she managed to pick and choose between the vegetarian menu and the vegetarian offerings on the regular menu. However, the cheese pizza from the child's menu was pepperoni. The replacement cheese pizza was also pepperoni! Oops. She was very upset to discover the pepperonis part way through. Talked to the food manager the next day, who promised to send one of the white uniformed managers to see that she was fed properly. Empty promise, we never saw a dining room manager at our table.

"With no vegetarian offerings at lunch in the dining room a few days later, she ordered a chef salad. "I am a vegetarian, I eat no meat, no fish. Cheese is OK." The instructions were too imprecise, the salad arrived with strips of chicken breast. The waiter took it to his work station to remove the chicken. Seemed surprised that this was not good enough for my daughter. Offered to get another, but we could imagine him carrying the salad back to the kitchen and bringing it right back out. I thought that HAL should have mastered vegetarian food well before 2009."

As far as I am concerned, HAL provides only lip service to vegetarians.

6-8 entrees was not much on our 12 day holiday cruise on the Volendam. It is hard to be a strict vegetarian on Holland America. Does the salad dressing contain gelatin? Are there bacon bits in anything? Is there lard in the pie crust? Do you want your vegetarian omelet cooked in the same pan as the ham omelets? Items that look like they are vegetarian are not necessarily vegetarian.

Here again are my notes from the cruise:

"Our vegetarian daughter faced some challenges. The vegetarian menu does not change for the duration and one of the entrees was unavailable. Items from this menu were not presented at the same time as ours was from the regular menu. She is not an adventurous eater. Not a big eater, she managed to pick and choose between the vegetarian menu and the vegetarian offerings on the regular menu. However, the cheese pizza from the child's menu was pepperoni. The replacement cheese pizza was also pepperoni! Oops. She was very upset to discover the pepperonis part way through. Talked to the food manager the next day, who promised to send one of the white uniformed managers to see that she was fed properly. Empty promise, we never saw a dining room manager at our table.

"With no vegetarian offerings at lunch in the dining room a few days later, she ordered a chef salad. "I am a vegetarian, I eat no meat, no fish. Cheese is OK." The instructions were too imprecise, the salad arrived with strips of chicken breast. The waiter took it to his work station to remove the chicken. Seemed surprised that this was not good enough for my daughter. Offered to get another, but we could imagine him carrying the salad back to the kitchen and bringing it right back out. I thought that HAL should have mastered vegetarian food well before 2009."

As far as I am concerned, HAL provides only lip service to vegetarians.

yes, I've read your review everywhere you've posted it....:rolleyes:

As I said before, In my almost 10-years on HAL ships, I've not had any significant problems. When I did, speaking with the right people corrected any miscommunication.

I'm assuming you have the same questions/issues with all land-based restaurants. In my personal experience I've found the personnel on HAL to be much more aware of ingredients and preparation than staff in land-based restaurants. Being a *strict* vegetarian is extremely difficult unless all of your meals are prepared in your own home.

Your issues will never change my opinion and I clearly will never change yours. You have a right to your opinion, but so do I.

I have found no problem finding vegetarian items for dinners on several 60+ day cruises on HAL. Certainly not as wide a variety as for meat eating folks, but as good a variety of items over time as most land restaurants have, except for those catering to vegetarians. Outside of the vegetarian menu, not a lot of choices any one night, but the options do change daily. As to breakfast and lunch - oh so many choices in the Lido! Don't know about the dinning room for lunch as I seldom eat there for lunch - like the Lido choices too much. Of course, the none of this compares with the variety that is possible for vegetarians who cook for themselves at home.

Now Vegan is another story, I agree it would be very difficult to get much variety of things to eat on a cruise ship - or in most land restaurants as well. If nothing else, that old chicken broth creeps into many dishes.

In my experiences on HAL, I have dealt with the table supervisor nightly about choices for the next evening when looking for vegetarian meals.

I If nothing else, that old chicken broth creeps into many dishes.

OH, wow, that is my #1 complaint! I look at so many delicious items in the supermarket only to read "chicken broth" way, way down in the ingredients...don't they realize that vegetable broth is both flavorful and more healthy?:)

I'm sorry if you took it as rude. I just wanted navigator to know so that they could spell it right next time. I guess I would want to know if I didn't spell something right so that I could spell it right another time. Sorry if I offended, I was trying to be helpful.

Lovebug33, just to put your heart and mind at ease. I didn't feel offended, just hoping that this kind of things don't make you batty to often. Life is short and there is so much to enjoy.

The thing is that we also don't know what is going on in the other persons mind, especially when writing, we can just make assumptions and I trust that you just really wanted to help being a teacher.

Don't let all this bug you. The only thing to bug you should be love like your name says.:)

Gosh . . . As an entomophagian, I better do some more research . . . I hate when they try to pass off large house flies as a real horse fly . . . and don't try to tell me that a north american grub is anywhere near the quality of a central american or filipino grub. . . good grief. . .

LoveBug, I should have probably ignored it spelling is not my strong suit. I just might be a bit over sensitive:D

It's really not up to me to be quoting rules...God knows how many I have stepped on:o

LOL I could not get along with out my spell checker.

Dianne

Oh, and when asking for things at dinner, the stewards do not repeat back what you said.

I don't see vegan as a dietary "need" at all. It's a choice - and a bizarre one at that.

but it is driving me batty that you are spelling dessert wrong. I teach school and I can't help myself.

I know how you feel. One of my favourite foods is dog meat.

You are rude!

They've devoted the whole top deck to them. What a buffet!

600X400-solsticeclass-LawnClub5.jpg

Can I just say OMG!:eek:....LOL:D

Originally Posted by CroneWynd viewpost.gif

Oh, and when asking for things at dinner, the stewards do not repeat back what you said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdw1972 viewpost.gif

I don't see vegan as a dietary "need" at all. It's a choice - and a bizarre one at that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovebug33 viewpost.gif

but it is driving me batty that you are spelling dessert wrong. I teach school and I can't help myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip217 viewpost.gif

I know how you feel. One of my favourite foods is dog meat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Down-Unders viewpost.gif

You are rude!

This is a sitcom writers dream. Please start writing.

This is a sitcom writers dream. Please start writing.

And that's just a synopsis of the posts that weren't pulled by the moderators on this thread. There have been some doozies that have gone missing since yesterday. Who would've thought veganism could rank up there with the smoking threads!!:p

Archived