Vegans and HAL - Nope

CroneWynd

It was a Mexican black bean soup. It's not for everybody. How do people get used to eating so many beans?

LOL - Your body adjusts as it empties out all the dead, rotting meat stuck in your colon. :p

Perspective is all in the eye of the beholder...

I can't wrap my mind around how & why some folks like to drink pus, antibiotic, & hormone filled cow's milk, when as adults, aren't we long weened from breast milk? Why not eliminate the middle man (cow), and do as the cows do - eat Vegetarian. They get all their calcium & protein from greens and we can too.

One of the people traveling with our party, My friends mom, is Vegan. She doesn't make a big deal about it, and always makes due. I will share with her these people's experience. It may help her prepare, or her experience could be completely different.

BTW, she doesn't eat that way to be difficult. She is suffered her first heart problems at just over age 50 and wishes to be here a while. The vegan lifestyle promotes heart health. She is sacrificing some taste in an attempt to extend her life.

VegasK

If it promotes heart health, I'm all for it. I'll tell you, I know of these kind of weird spas in the Berkshires that do that too. I love to cruise, I confess, and this bean thing and now milk thing are really too much.

LOL - Your body adjusts as it empties out all the dead, rotting meat stuck in your colon. :p

I can't wrap my mind around how & why some folks like to drink pus, antibiotic, & hormone filled cow's milk, when as adults, aren't we long weened from breast milk? Why not eliminate the middle man (cow), and do as the cows do - eat Vegetarian. They get all their calcium & protein from greens and we can too.

I prefer my pus, antibiotics, and hormones shaken not stirred. :rolleyes: :D

Because cows are ruminants and have four stomachs to help them digest. Humans do not. We were not designed to get all our dietary needs from greens; we are omnivores.

I completely respect people who make a choice to be vegetarian or vegan, but please don't start suggesting that we all "should" do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Thru many complaints from vegans that HALS menu just wasn't cutting it. HAL has gone one step further and introduced "Dig Your Dinner" a new but popular excursion.

Board an air conditioned coach and head to a local farm. You will step back in time and experience the life of a farmer. Gloves and a garden shovel will be provided. Now is the time you and nature connect. You will then reboard the coach and head back to the ship with your own dinner that you dug from the earth. The excursion ends with a complimentary glass of carrot juice.

Here are some recent photos of an excursion

06102301.jpg

100_0315.jpg

pd1474776.jpg

I'm always wondering who the first person was to come upon a cow and say to him/herself, "I think I'll squeeze those dangly things there, and drink what ever comes out of them"

ROFLOL!!!!!! I'm taking a break from packing- That laugh was just what I needed!

Interesting thread.

I hope that cruiselines become better at creating healthy dining options. Some see the vegan diet as wacked-out. I see it as healthy, and congratulations to you.

In HALs defense, they do have the vegetarian choice. I think a vegan choice would be a step in the right direction. The folks that prepare food for HAL are pros. They could do it if they were directed to.

Well I'm shocked they actually gave you a vegetarian menu. We had a lady at our table who was a vegetarian, she asked for one. The staff on the Zuiderdam said there wasn't one, she'd have to pick off the regular menu. There was maybe one vegetarian entree per night and if it contained Tofu, she was screwed, her system couldn't handle it. Even the vegetable soups were made with Chicken Stock. Many nights she just had a baked potato and a plate of veg. That's disgraceful for HAL.

Cruise Junky,

I am more surprised by the lack of a Vegetarian Menu on your cruise. Having cruised on numerous HAL ships for 12 cruises the past few years, there has ALWAYS been a full Vegetarian menu available. (Granted, it does not change through the cruise.) If there was none available, it would certainly limit your tablemate's choices and I would not like such a limit. However, I would have added a salad, maybe two if there was no acceptable entree for me.

Cruise Junky,

I am more surprised by the lack of a Vegetarian Menu on your cruise. Having cruised on numerous HAL ships for 12 cruises the past few years, there has ALWAYS been a full Vegetarian menu available. (Granted, it does not change through the cruise.) If there was none available, it would certainly limit your tablemate's choices and I would not like such a limit. However, I would have added a salad, maybe two if there was no acceptable entree for me.

She was also surprised. She'd cruised HAL quite a bit and said last time they brought her a vegetarian menu the day before so she could make her choices. She was not a happy camper this trip.

That must have been a real drag, really. We were in Puerto Rico 2 weeks ago and talk about vegetarian offerings!!!!!!!! Rice and beans, beans and rice. I prefer to have some shrimp on the side, of course. Did you know Whole Foods has Caribbean beans? Try them. They are tasty!

That must have been a real drag, really. We were in Puerto Rico 2 weeks ago and talk about vegetarian offerings!!!!!!!! Rice and beans, beans and rice. I prefer to have some shrimp on the side, of course. Did you know Whole Foods has Caribbean beans? Try them. They are tasty!

I just picked up a pallet.

12.5onpallet1.jpg

Remember college? All the vegetarians were kind of weird and we never heard of vegan. We were, well, self-absorbed. Yeah! So, now, we kind of have to deal with it. Um. So, someone will come on this thread and call me some kind of weird thing, but I say, hey, it's ok, come aboard, let's talk about this stange subject. Be my friend, be kind, it's ok now. Vegans are people too, you know.

Archived