Vegans and HAL - Nope

CroneWynd

I'm sorry for your experience.

Our youngest daughter is vegetarian...not vegan...and has been since she was 14 (she's now 37!). Her husband is not...nor are her three little ones. Whenever she goes out to eat, it's never ever easy. Most often, the servers don't understand what being vegetarian entails.

Seeing what she goes through, I can't imagine how difficult it would be for a vegan to go on a cruise and dine "outside the box."

I'm sorry to say that HAL used to offer a lot more vegetarian dishes. We were vegetarians for several years, and when we cruised with HAL, we never went hungry. On our last cruise in January, I was truly shocked at how little choices there were.

I'm sorry to say that HAL used to offer a lot more vegetarian dishes. We were vegetarians for several years, and when we cruised with HAL, we never went hungry. On our last cruise in January, I was truly shocked at how little choices there were.

I'm not a vegetarian but could well be, Bev. I do prefer veggies over meat/fish (except for Maine lobster and shellfish!). And usually eat mostly veggies, just a little meat or fish.

In January & February on the Noordam, I asked for extra veggies as there just weren't enough. Our dining steward brought a dinner plate full! I was mortified as I felt obligated to eat them all. Next time I'll see if I can get the point across for a "side dish." :eek:

I think that HAL menu items are creative and healthy - under current food guidelines. They are not vegetarian and they are not vegan, save for the vegetarian option I think I always saw on the menu.

The problem is, and here is the rub, an increasing number of people are coming to think that the normal western diet (for a whole host of reasons) is hazardous to your health. As you analyze it further the evidence supporting this (for me) becomes stronger and stronger.

To require hotels and cruiseships to address this problem may be unrealistic. Their food services people are only doing what KFC or Pizza Hut do, namely, try to satisfy the market. I may be wrong, but the market ain't interested in healthy food, particularly on vacation.

If I don't like what I see in a KFC or Pizza Hut I don't expect them to change their menu. I don't eat there - and I suspect they don't miss my patronage.

For the record, I think it would be a step in the right direction if HAL provided a vegan menu.

I am disappointed that the mere act of pointing out that HAL doesn't have one provides sufficient cause for amusement for some people to ridicule the OP.

I would have expected better of CC members.

Smooth sailing...

I agree, "market demand" dictates what is available, be it cruise ships, restaurants or grocery stores.

I remember in the late 1980s when the concept of "heart healthy" foods was popular. I was involved in a National Conference for Cardiologists. We thought we would be "smart" and have morning snacks emphasizing fresh fruits and yoghurt versus donuts. Well, that lasted one morning. Oh the complaints - WE WANT DONUTS, forget this healthy stuff.

Ok, so, I have a question. I had sort of a vegetarian diet today except I had a lobster dinner. What is a vegetarian diet, really. If you don't eat meat, and I don't eat much, say once a month, is that vegetarian? I grow tomatoes too. It's so cool to have tons of tomatoes to give to your neighbors! Even to my nosy neighbor. Hey, we are vegetarians (sort of):)

Hey, we are vegetarians (sort of):)

That's like "sort of" being pregnant.

You either are or are not a vegetarian.

I can understand about being confused about varying degrees of vegetarianism, such as lacto, lacto-ovo, vegan, etc.

However, the last time I checked, a lobster was not a vegetable.:)

I agree, "market demand" dictates what is available, be it cruise ships, restaurants or grocery stores.

I remember in the late 1980s when the concept of "heart healthy" foods was popular. I was involved in a National Conference for Cardiologists. We thought we would be "smart" and have morning snacks emphasizing fresh fruits and yoghurt versus donuts. Well, that lasted one morning. Oh the complaints - WE WANT DONUTS, forget this healthy stuff.

Funny..... great story.

I suspect you might get a different reaction in the same set of circumstances, today! :) Or, at least, I hope so. :D They've learned a lot as have many of us about the food we eat.

I think the request for healthier eating is growing among guests on the ships rather than declining and that demand most likely will result in more healthy (including vegetarian, vegan) offerings from which to choose.

Well I'm shocked they actually gave you a vegetarian menu. We had a lady at our table who was a vegetarian, she asked for one. The staff on the Zuiderdam said there wasn't one, she'd have to pick off the regular menu. There was maybe one vegetarian entree per night and if it contained Tofu, she was screwed, her system couldn't handle it. Even the vegetable soups were made with Chicken Stock. Many nights she just had a baked potato and a plate of veg. That's disgraceful for HAL.

I hope this is not the norm now! I thought all Hal ships had the separate vegetarian menu. I wonder if this is something new and they have decided to get rid of the separate menu or it's just happening specifically on the Zuiderdam. That was one of the wonderful things about Hal I always used to tell people about. How they have a separate menu for vegetarians so I hope it's not gone. That's a strong booking point for me and I was just looking at a Zuiderdam itinerary I was interested in. Now it doesn't look so appealing if the menu choices will be cut down.

Pat

I hope this is not the norm now! I thought all Hal ships had the separate vegetarian menu. I wonder if this is something new and they have decided to get rid of the separate menu or it's just happening specifically on the Zuiderdam. That was one of the wonderful things about Hal I always used to tell people about. How they have a separate menu for vegetarians so I hope it's not gone. That's a strong booking point for me and I was just looking at a Zuiderdam itinerary I was interested in. Now it doesn't look so appealing if the menu choices will be cut down.

Pat

There were so many cut backs on our cruise that I'm wondering if it was because they were selling it at bargain basement rates they were doing whatever they could onboard to recouperate some costs. Hopefully some other Zuiderdam cruises will pipe in to see if it's still going on. It's a fantastic itinerary, I don't want to put you off if our cruise was a one-off.

Ok, so, I have a question. I had sort of a vegetarian diet today except I had a lobster dinner. What is a vegetarian diet, really. If you don't eat meat, and I don't eat much, say once a month, is that vegetarian? Hey, we are vegetarians (sort of):)

If you eat anything with a face, you are NOT a Vegetarian. Saying you are will only confuse those who aren't sure, so please do not. Fish & seafood are meat.

Not to be contrary, but fish is a meat?:confused:
I think it depends on where you are and who are are speaking to. I live in Texas. When I tell most people that I don't eat beef or pork, they say, "You're a vegetarian." I try to explain that I'm not a vegetarian because I do eat fish and fowl. Most of the time the person says, "Those aren't meats." I'm not sure what I am. Is there a term for a person who doesn't eat beef & pork?

Whatever I am, HAL doesn't cater to it very well either. It seemed like most of the fish or fowl dishes had some form of pork product mixed in that may or may not be listed on the menu. Even if you asked to not have bacon sprinkled on top, it ended up there anyway. BLECH! I ordered a duck dish once that didn't mention it had sausage mixed in. NOT a pleasant surprise.

I get plain fish and fowl all the time on HAL ships.

I ask for my fish with no sauce or butter and that is what they bring me. Always.

Never a problem for me getting sauce on the side or none at all.

Sp..... no pork or sausage or other surprise.

Just order it plain.

Not to be contrary, but fish is a meat?:confused:

From Wikipedia:

Vegetarianism is the practice of a diet that excludes meat (including game and slaughter by-products; fish, shellfish and other sea animals; and poultry). There are several variants of the diet, some of which also exclude eggs and/or some products produced from animal labour such as dairy products and honey. ... Semi-vegetarianism consists of a diet largely of vegetarian foods, but may include fish and sometimes poultry, as well as dairy products and eggs.

I cruised HAL twice as a vegetarian, and always managed to find something to eat. The first time, I honestly don't think they even had a vegetarian selection on the menu. But the dining steward and I were always able to find something/alter something.

No longer vegetarian, so I don't pay attention to what is and isn't available for a vegetarian diet.

I get plain fish and fowl all the time on HAL ships.

I ask for my fish with no sauce or butter and that is what they bring me. Always.

Never a problem for me getting sauce on the side or none at all.

Sp..... no pork or sausage or other surprise.

Just order it plain.

Maybe the problem is that I like sauces and butter, just not pork and beef. Twice on Maasdam I asked if I could get an item without bacon - once was a fish dish and another a pasta. Both times I was told no problem. Both times, the dish arrived with bacon on top. The duck didn't mention being stuffed with sausage in the menu description. It didn't occur to me that there would be an unlisted pork product. Yet another night, the menu made no mention of ham being in the pasta yet there it was. I double-checked the menu as we left to make sure it wasn't my error. The waiter never knew if there was pork or beef in an item so if I asked, he would have to go to the kitchen to find out. I only asked a couple of times because I felt bad about holding up everyone else's orders while he went to the kitchen and came back. I ended up ordering what I THOUGHT was safe, then picking out any offensive items.

I am a vegetarien, I always tell people, I don't eat anything that has a mother .NO Animals. I always received the vegetarien menu the evening before and on one of the cruises the chef asked me,if there was anything

special I would like to eat ,just give him two days notice and he will fix it.

If you talk to the diningroom manager and explain your dietary needs, they will do their best.

Archived