Vegans and HAL - Nope

CroneWynd

Diathoney,

"Like airlines do" (or did)???

Most of their vegetarian/vegan meals were horrible! I flew a lot back then and the meal was almost always a green pepper stuffed with a rice mixture. Once in awhile a good dish was was served. However, if you want to hear howls of discontent, try serving even one of the airline vegetarian/vegan meals on a cruise ship for dinner!!!!

dublin-guinness-yuck.jpg

Vegetarian and Vegan are not unusual or "unique twists". I would expect a mass market cruise line to be able to handle it - just like airlines and restaurants do.

I hate to burst your bubble, but one airline, Delta, has vegetarian meal non-dairy and I just received a written letter warning my DW that they can not guarantee that it will be egg-free ... in first class ... so, I suppose she could starve or go to next cabin and beg some peanuts from fellow passengers.

harry

No really, aren't there all kinds of take away food in the airports? Why do people freak out about what the airline is serving. I think I can go 3 hours without eating or even 5 for that matter. Vegan, vegetarian, don't they have that to offer in airports, even if it's just a salad?:confused:

It's actually quite hilarious when people call this diet bizarre and "not normal". Well, I think I will go back to my bowl of white rice now.

Calling it bizarre is not really appropriate. However, it is definitely not mainstream. I'd be curious to know how many vegans actually show up on any given sailing. I am sure it is a very low number. Expecting people to go above and beyond for that small amount of people is expecting a lot. Much like I just don't eat dessert insted of getting mad that they won't make cake without egg yolks. That would be asking a whole lot when how many people have my egg yolk allergy. I've just learned to live wtih disappointment (and no cake outside of my house!).

No really, aren't there all kinds of take away food in the airports? Why do people freak out about what the airline is serving. I think I can go 3 hours without eating or even 5 for that matter. Vegan, vegetarian, don't they have that to offer in airports, even if it's just a salad?:confused:

With all respect, Suse, you need to keep in mind that sometimes people have an hour or more ride to the airport, they stand in line to check in/check baggage, they stand in line to clear security and then have an hour (or more wait) at the gate. This can easily be 3 hours before they even board the plane.

We won't even talk about 7+ hour waits on tarmac waiting to take off that sometimes people suffer.

Then the flight could be 5 hours. Then a 30+ minute wait for the luggage.

Many (most?) people cannot go that long without food.

Even people with no health conditions have to eat but add age /health factors and it can be dangerous to a person's health to be denied the ability to eat.

I think people have to take some responsibility for themselves and do what they can to provide something to hold them over. Easier said than done in some cases, I realize.

On a ship, I truly believe everyone can manage. They may not dine like kings if they have hugely restrictive way of eating but they do not have to starve.

Even OP said they had choices.... they just wanted more choices unless I misunderstand.

JMO...

When I'm going to Ft.Lauderdale I usually leave Calgary at 7:00am. It's not unusual for me to get into Ft.Lauderdale at 10pm at night. Kinda hard to go without food for that long. For me a 3 hour flight to get anywhere would be awesome....but not very realistic.

What can we do about people not eating for 3-5 hours? Should the cruise ships pass out Oscar Meyer snack lunchables at the gangway, to all passengers that have a flight longer than three hours?

Maybe we could station the National Guard at the airports and have them pass out MRE'S to any passengers that suffer a delay in take-off.

I never knew that if I went 3-5 hours without eating it was such a big feat? Who'd a thunk?

s.gif

P7180017.JPG

What can we do about people not eating for 3-5 hours? Should the cruise ships pass out Oscar Meyer snack lunchables at the gangway, to all passengers that have a flight longer than three hours?

Maybe we could station the National Guard at the airports and have them pass out MRE'S to any passengers that suffer a delay in take-off.

I never knew that if I went 3-5 hours without eating it was such a big feat? Who'd a thunk?

s.gif

P7180017.JPG

Who is asking the cruise lines to do anything? We are all adults.....aren't we?

Seriously?

No. I do not think air travel is fun these days.

Maybe a number of years ago it might have been but these days, I consider it pretty miserable experience for the most part. :(

I do it just 'to get there'. There are many places I will no longer go because of how hard it is to get there. If it isn't in 'my comfort zone' it isn't in my travel plans.

pic014_GreyhoundBusStationBlytheville.jpg

I've been in Hotels in several countries that put out a breakfast buffet with foods catering to 2 or 3 Asian diets in addition to Northern European, English and American tastes. I would think a large cruiseship on a line that advertises their Super Chef menus, could have a few cookbooks with different menus.:rolleyes:

CroneWynd,

I know how you feel.

One of my favourite foods is dog meat.

A very popular dish in China - especially in Winter.

Neither HAL nor Princess were flexible enough to provide it to me.

I guess that those of us with diets that are considered exotic or alternative should consider something other than a mass market Middle America cruise line when we go on vacation and require special foods. Or perhaps we should try to be a bit flexible and try to enjoy whatever it is that the mass market cruise lines do best.

Yes, you should consider something else. "Middle America" doesn't eat dogs, so why would you expect it to be on the menu? Duh... Do you really think the average "Middle American" cruiser would even book a cruise on a ship that served dog?

So it would be logical to assume that a cruise line would be more prepared and willing to cater to the diets of the numerous dog meat people that it would to relatively insignificant number of vegetable eaters.

Sorry, but I don't consider myself to be insignificant, especially when compared to someone who eats dogs.:rolleyes:

With regard to the vegetarian chef salad that was served with chicken, there's a reason for this. There are more people than you can imagine who, when ordering a meal at a restaurant, will say they are vegetarian, yet still order chicken or fish. Hello?? These are not part of a vegetarian diet. I've been a vegetarian for more than 20 years, and I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard this. For the record, if it ever had a face, it's not part of a vegetarian diet.

Still wish Cronewynd, the OP would come back and tell me ten meals that would be appropriate for a vegan diet.

I am not the OP and not a vegetarian, but http://www.epicurious.com lists at least 1250 vegan recipes and 43,480 vegetarian recipes. Some of my favorite dishes are vegan; including black bean chili, three bean salad, spicy red bean soup, spaghetti with white bean sauce, tofu stir fry, potato salad, bean and rice burrito, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

The OP said it all in the thread title - "Vegans and HAL - Nope."

I am not the OP and not a vegetarian, but http://www.epicurious.com lists at least 1250 vegan recipes and 43,480 vegetarian recipes. Some of my favorite dishes are vegan; including black bean chili, three bean salad, spicy red bean soup, spaghetti with white bean sauce, tofu stir fry, potato salad, bean and rice burrito,

These meals have been known to blow a hole, right thru the hull of a ship:eek:

SeawheelRhine.jpg

Yes, you should consider something else. "Middle America" doesn't eat dogs, so why would you expect it to be on the menu? Duh... Do you really think the average "Middle American" cruiser would even book a cruise on a ship that served dog?

Sorry, but I don't consider myself to be insignificant, especially when compared to someone who eats dogs.:rolleyes:

With regard to the vegetarian chef salad that was served with chicken, there's a reason for this. There are more people than you can imagine who, when ordering a meal at a restaurant, will say they are vegetarian, yet still order chicken or fish. Hello?? These are not part of a vegetarian diet. I've been a vegetarian for more than 20 years, and I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard this. For the record, if it ever had a face, it's not part of a vegetarian diet.

Oh don't pay any attention to Philip. He always has something derogatory to state about 'middle America'. I live in the fourth largest city in the U.S. and we have huge, vast communities of immigrants from all over the world. We have a China town, a Vietnamese town, a Korean town, an Indian town and of course we have plenty of folks from Mexico. These people live their own culture right here-they wear their native clothing, open their own restaurants, open their own shops selling things from their countries. They speak their native languages-they raise their children in their in their culture and no one bats an eye. It's all good.

But, take an American in some other part of the world who wants a glass of milk or a chicken breast and God forbid-they're labeled as uncultured, clueless and ignorant.

But, take an American in some other part of the world who wants a glass of milk or a chicken breast and God forbid-they're labeled as uncultured, clueless and ignorant.

Isn't that the truth. The stories that come from "that" source are truly too much. The one that I found especially awesome was when that poster said that if he had any overweight crew it's because they were lazy and weren't doing us much work as the skinny counterparts. I can tell you where I work it's completely the other way around. Sorry for the hijack of this thread.

I tried a vegetarian appetizer once on a cruise. It was a Mexican black bean soup. It's not for everybody. How do people get used to eating so many beans? Pipedreams is right......I can't eat like that and keep my friends.

Archived