Vegans and HAL - Nope

CroneWynd

Before reading this thread I was in a mild uproar about not having anything defrosted for dinner, but now? "Come here Molly girl".................. Philip, any preparation suggestions??????

Thanks for the good laugh:D...at least I hope you were kidding:eek:.

I used to work in an area that had fabulous small markets for veggies/fruit/meats/specialty foods. Took me a while to get used to seeing rabbit hanging in the butcher shop. :eek:

The local, comfortable, pleasant restaurants we go to in our area serve freshly prepared, to order, tasty, well presented good food. We have a few small, family owned restaurants we frequent and they would be hard pressed to offer an exciting meal to vegans. Most restaurants simply are not geared to that small segment of the population. When dining out, I think those with special diets have a bit of a struggle and have to be realistic. JMHO...

How many entrees would be enough for them to offer that are vegan? How much time can Chefs have for everyone's special diets when feeding 1,300+ people continuously throughout the day. (And lets not forget all crew meals.) I know they need to feed Celiac diets, low sugar, low fat, low carb, vegetarian, vegan, kosher and who know what else. There are limits to how much they can offer to each special group while still taking good care of the vast majority that are their prime 'mission'. Those of us with special requests can only have a proportionate amount of the work/time/budget.

I think you need to navigate the choices on your own though it is important you be able to have reliable info as to ingredients in a particular dish. When a few diverge from the many, they are usually not going to be able to have the prime experience IMO

Choices we make.

I am particular what I eat and for the most part eat very healthy. It is for me to work my way through the menu and select what works best for me. I can't expect Chef to pull out a pan and cook my meal individually night after night. There are too many fellow guests he's feeding to think that realistically possible.

Yes.... I know there are loads of those who don't agree with my viewpoint, will argue health reasons, will argue how hard they have dieted to lose., they only eat fish and fowl, they only eat beef, they don't like greens, .... ALL valid positions. We don't pay enough to have a special Chef just for each of us. :D

JMHO...

I used to work in an area that had fabulous small markets for veggies/fruit/meats/specialty foods. Took me a while to get used to seeing rabbit hanging in the butcher shop. :eek:

The local, comfortable, pleasant restaurants we go to in our area serve freshly prepared, to order, tasty, well presented good food. We have a few small, family owned restaurants we frequent and they would be hard pressed to offer an exciting meal to vegans. Most restaurants simply are not geared to that small segment of the population. When dining out, I think those with special diets have a bit of a struggle and have to be realistic. JMHO...

How many entrees would be enough for them to offer that are vegan? How much time can Chefs have for everyone's special diets when feeding 1,300+ people continuously throughout the day. (And lets not forget all crew meals.) I know they need to feed Celiac diets, low sugar, low fat, low carb, vegetarian, vegan, kosher and who know what else. There are limits to how much they can offer to each special group while still taking good care of the vast majority that are their prime 'mission'. Those of us with special requests can only have a proportionate amount of the work/time/budget.

I think you need to navigate the choices on your own though it is important you be able to have reliable info as to ingredients in a particular dish. When a few diverge from the many, they are usually not going to be able to have the prime experience IMO

Choices we make.

I am particular what I eat and for the most part eat very healthy. It is for me to work my way through the menu and select what works best for me. I can't expect Chef to pull out a pan and cook my meal individually night after night. There are too many fellow guests he's feeding to think that realistically possible.

Yes.... I know there are loads of those who don't agree with my viewpoint, will argue health reasons, will argue how hard they have dieted to lose., they only eat fish and fowl, they only eat beef, they don't like greens, .... ALL valid positions. We don't pay enough to have a special Chef just for each of us. :D

JMHO...

Great post,unfortunately it makes way too much sense. We live in a 'It's All About Me" world so I doubt your post will resonate.

I had no idea chefs had to scrub grills after cooking meat, prepare 18 different meals,meet with guests to make sure this and that isn't in the ingredients. Talk about jumping thru hoops.:rolleyes:

complainingcustomerahero1.jpg

OH, wow, that is my #1 complaint! I look at so many delicious items in the supermarket only to read "chicken broth" way, way down in the ingredients...don't they realize that vegetable broth is both flavorful and more healthy?:)

As one with a severe allergy to any poultry, I am glad this was mentioned.

I cannot have chicken broth or boullion or stock or eat anything made with same. HAL has actually been very good at understanding this situation and a simple talk with the LIDO chef and the waiter at dinner

(a reason I Always do fixed dining, so there will be consistancy in communication on this) has always worked for me. I know the HAL menus

quite well now and know what has been made with poultry stock, etc.

Try watching the Food Network, and you will be amazed at the number of shows on there with recipes for beef and pork dishes "flavored" with chicken stock.

The point being that being as clear as possible about the food item or ingredient that you cannot ingest and telling anyone and everyone on staff will go a long way.

Great post,unfortunately it makes way too much sense. We live in a 'It's All About Me" world so I doubt your post will resonate.

I had no idea chefs had to scrub grills after cooking meat, prepare 18 different meals,meet with guests to make sure this and that isn't in the ingredients. Talk about jumping thru hoops.:rolleyes:

complainingcustomerahero1.jpg

I totally agree with you and S7S, sometimes the choices we make for our own lifestyles may not be the norm for the rest of the population, and we cannot expect everyone to conform to our ways or even understand them. I feel if there is an effort made to accomodate your special dietary needs/wants/desires/etc. then that is to be commended. There is a difference between a diet for someone with health reasons and someone who choses their diet by choice, and I feel if you approach either one with the proper attitude and flexibility then all things can be reached to some degree. Maybe not 100% but hey! in this world today who does get 100%????? JMHO ;)

Well, now has everyone had a great time trashing my dietary restrictions?

It just so happens that I am severely lactose intolerant - therefore, all the hidden milk products in nearly ALL the 'vegetarian' choices has made me quite ill. I'm still trying to get over it.

Yes, I attempted to get a little personal attention on the whole vegan thing, but was told flat out that the kitchen would NOT make any changes to any of the dishes. I was not given the option of ordering Indian food (except one entree on the menu. I suppose I could have eaten that every single night, hmm?).

Also, there was soy milk, I had it in Explorations cafe! I just had to go over the steward's head to someone that knew that it was available for dinner!

As I said, Princess had no problem at all with vegan food.

Sorry to have annoyed all of you omnivores.

It just so happens that I am severely lactose intolerant - therefore, all the hidden milk products in nearly ALL the 'vegetarian' choices has made me quite ill. I'm still trying to get over it.

Yes, I attempted to get a little personal attention on the whole vegan thing, but was told flat out that the kitchen would NOT make any changes to any of the dishes. I was not given the option of ordering Indian food (except one entree on the menu. I suppose I could have eaten that every single night, hmm?).

Also, there was soy milk, I had it in Explorations cafe! I just had to go over the steward's head to someone that knew that it was available for dinner!

Did you mention your lactose intolerance during the cruise, or merely that you were eating vegan? Perhaps that might have made a difference, and hopefully in the future as well.

Just curious Crone, could you tell me the kinds of thins you would normally like to have seen be offerred for dinner for a true Vegan. I really do not know what you might have liked. Can you help?

Whether your choice is due to health reasons, religious reasons or a personal decision you should be respected for your choice not given a hard time for it.

I would have expected a line like HAL to have done a better job. A chef should be prepared to meet his guests needs. Even if the first night wasn't great, the remaining nights should have been to your expectations after your needs were known.

Hmm, I am severely lactose intolerant also. I become very sick to my stomach and usually end up throwing up quiet awhile but I eat chicken. I eat steak. I eat fish. I eat salads with non dairy based dressings. I guess I don't understand what your lactose problem has to do with being vegan? I had no problem on HAL with the lactose thing, there was always something to eat, somewhere.

You should never apologise for whatever dietary requirements you have for whatever reason. I assume you are vegan because you are a vegetarian with lactose intolerance.

I am not vegetarian or vegan but I do know a bit about the restaurant and catering business.

I get so annoyed when so called 'chefs' do not understand the concept of vegetarian, vegan, lactose free, gluten free etc. This should have been part of their training. To me this is the difference between a good cook and a chef.

So many times I have seen fish or chicken served to a vegetarian or chicken stock used in the cooking. Some chefs forget that you have to watch all the things you cook with not just the main ingredients. They forget a lot of hard cheese contain rennet and cannot be eaten by vegetarians. A lot do not know the difference between vegetarian and vegan.

I know vegan is a challenge to any cook or chef but surely, with the thousands of passengers they serve, you cannot be the first vegan on the ship.

There are many dishes that can be made from vegetables, beans, pulses, tofu, soya products etc. I am not a chef but I could come up with enough vegan choices for a 7 day cruise (I might struggle after 7 days though - lol).

To the OP, as I understand it, you had a very lengthy list of grievances about your cruise. Right down to the fact that the stewards weren't repeating after you. Too bad you were so disappointed in the lack of service. In defense of the cruise industry, I think they normally knock themselves out to please their customers.

Whether your choice is due to health reasons, religious reasons or a personal decision you should be respected for your choice not given a hard time for it.

I would have expected a line like HAL to have done a better job. A chef should be prepared to meet his guests needs. Even if the first night wasn't great, the remaining nights should have been to your expectations after your needs were known.

I disagree, this is not a private cruise, it is a mass market event. They feed thousands of meals a day. Imagine if everyone wanted/needed their own unique twist to each meal, it would be chaos. Yes they should make attempts at REASONABLE accommodations (of course that is open to each individual definition) but based on others responses, it would appear they do that. It is plain to me the OP has unreasonable expectations of what a ship with thousands of passengers should do to accomodate everyones individual needs.

I was also a bit disturbed by the Explorations Cafe coffee bar. While there is a lovely barista machine, with proper cups stacked on it, whenever we would go there for a coffee, the espresso was obtained from an automatic machine instead, the shots allowed to go sour before the soy milk was added, and the drinks were served in paper cups. Paper cups? Well, I suppose the quality of the espresso drinks only deserved the paper cups, but it did seem rather cheap and tacky to me. The barista machine was, apparently, only for show.

I'm not qualified to address your problems with dining vegan, however:

The barista is not being "cheap and tacky". The server pours into a paper cup because most people stroll away with their purchase. That's kinda awkward with a large, "Friends" size, china cup.

Next time, if there is a next time, ask for your coffee in a china cup, and voila, it will be in a china cup!:D

Now on a comic note I have an Umbrella Cockatoo that is in her terrible teens and screams way too much and trust me one of these nights Tom will come home and we may be eating Roasted Cockatoo :D Problem is they are not as meaty as chicken :eek:

OMG, I was (was is the key word) drinking a diet Coke when I was reading this! That's funny.

I'm sorry you had so many problems on your cruise. I wonder if it would have been possible to work out a menu with HAL prior to your cruise? And this may be something that's not at all an option, I don't know, but I just thought I'd mention this.

I hope your next cruise is more enjoyable.

Hope you don't mind CroneWynd but I thought I would just highlight and condense what you wrote:

I was very dismayed ......I was even more dismayed to.....This is totally not acceptable.....This was lousy dining.....I was less than impressed with service on HAL.....they apparently will not go one single extra step to provide service.....This shocked me. .....There was no attempt made by any server on board to learn our names, or our preferences.....I was also a bit disturbed by the Explorations Cafe coffee bar......it did seem rather cheap and tacky to me......I did not have a great cruise on HAL. The service levels were really substandard, and the food was of poor quality, and extremely limited selection......ALL the 'vegetarian' choices has made me quite ill. I'm still trying to get over it.

We sailed on Princess last fall. We had an amazing variety of food,.... On Princess, when my husband ordered a drink, coffee was provided to me, without complaint.....I will go back to Princess,...Princess coffee bar staff know how to use a barista machine, too.....As I said, Princess had no problem at all with vegan food.

To summarize (IMHO), dislike HAL and enjoy Princess. I think you might find some people that agree and support what you are saying on the Princess board;)

I disagree, this is not a private cruise, it is a mass market event. They feed thousands of meals a day. Imagine if everyone wanted/needed their own unique twist to each meal, it would be chaos. Yes they should make attempts at REASONABLE accommodations (of course that is open to each individual definition) but based on others responses, it would appear they do that. It is plain to me the OP has unreasonable expectations of what a ship with thousands of passengers should do to accomodate everyones individual needs.

Vegetarian and Vegan are not unusual or "unique twists". I would expect a mass market cruise line to be able to handle it - just like airlines and restaurants do.

Vegetarian and Vegan are not unusual or "unique twists". I would expect a mass market cruise line to be able to handle it - just like airlines and restaurants do.

I agree with you about vegetarian diets & completely disagree about vegan. A vegetarian is fairly common, and that person can eat any dish but without the meat (more veggies instead, or tofu). A vegan is choosing a much more difficult diet. Nevermind my personal opinions on that choice - it's not realistic to expect a cruise line churning out 2000-3000 meals per meal period to accomodate a vegan diet.

If Princess does, then cruise Princess. Be thankful someone is willing to accomodate it. It's NOT normal & never will be.

Sue/WDW1972

Eurodam 11/07/09

Haha! Cute! - and that covers everyone except those with the peanut allergies!

Haha! We actually haven't gotten peanuts on airlines for a while. I think because of the fact that even being in the cabin with people eating peanuts is enough to set some people off. What an awful allergy! :(

Diathoney,

"Like airlines do" (or did)???

How many vegetarian/vegan meals did you order on planes back when they provided meals? I would guess none or very few.

Most of their vegetarian/vegan meals were horrible! I flew a lot back then and the meal was almost always a green pepper stuffed with a rice mixture. Once in awhile a good dish was was served. However, if you want to hear howls of discontent, try serving even one of the airline vegetarian/vegan meals on a cruise ship for dinner!!!!

Now, as I said previously I have been pleased with the vegetarian meals on HAL, so I am not complaining. However, to use the concept of airline vegetarian/vegan meals in the same post as cruise ship vegetarian/vegan meals is not comparable. Even regular airline food, when they served it, how would you like that type of meal and meal choice every night on a cruise ship?

Archived