RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

On the questionnaire for RIL, they ask for a pickup time. Our boat is scheduled to arrive in Naples at 7. The tour is 9 hours and sounds wonderful. What would you recommend for the pickup time. We don't want to waste tour time on the dock.... Thanks so much. So much helpful information on this thread.

Hi,

We went to Naples/Rome/Livorno in May and we used our arrival time for our pickup time. We just had our group ready to go before the shipped docked and were across the gangway as soon as it was secure. The ships are quick in getting passengers off the ship. Liverno was the only port where the driver was not there, but that was because the ship docked early.

Bill

Hi,

We went to Naples/Rome/Livorno in May and we used our arrival time for our pickup time. We just had our group ready to go before the shipped docked and were across the gangway as soon as it was secure. The ships are quick in getting passengers off the ship. Liverno was the only port where the driver was not there, but that was because the ship docked early.

Bill

You may want to have a 7:30am or 8am pick up. Sometimes the ship docks a little bit late... and it takes a wee bit of time for them to do the gangplank, set up for disembarking passengers, etc.

We had 8am pickups for both Livorno/Florence and Rome... we were back at teh ship by 6pm promptly-- in plenty of time for sail away.

We LOVED LOVED LOVED Rome In Limo! have fun.... ;)

IMHO have them pick you up as early as you think you can off the ship. It was hard for our larger group but we got off right at scheduled arrival time. In most ports the ship docks earlier than the stated arrival time. As long as you aren't going straight to Pompeii getting an early start on the Amalfi coast is an advantage. If you are going to Pompeii than 7:30 or so is good enough.

Have a blast!

On the questionnaire for RIL, they ask for a pickup time. Our boat is scheduled to arrive in Naples at 7. The tour is 9 hours and sounds wonderful. What would you recommend for the pickup time. We don't want to waste tour time on the dock.... Thanks so much. So much helpful information on this thread.

I used RIL in Rome while on the 11/29/09 TA from Barcelona. You've made an excellent choice and I believe you will be truly pleased with their service. I just booked them for Rome and Florence/Pisa tours on my upcoming 4/29/11 cruise. I gave them the time NCL reported we would dock. Previously, RIL drivers were there when the ship docked and we could see all their vehicles lined up from our balcony. They are great company to work with and they exceeded all our expectations. Have a great trip.

Thanks so much. 8am it is. There's only 3 of us, so getting off together should be easy. Happy travels to all. Aren't we so lucky....Gay

We are using RIL for our upcoming trip. We have arranged to be picked up at the airport, taken to our hotel and then off to the Vatican to meet our tour guide. The next day, we will take RIL's 8 hour tour of Rome.

I have a tipping question and realize that tipping is a personal choice. My only questions is that since everyone was so happy with their tours and guides that the "going rate" seems to be 10-20 euro a person per tour,is this rate applicable to the driver who picks us up at the airport and then takes us to the hotel and then the Vatican? I expect to tip the Vatican tour guide and the driver/guide for our 8 hour tour the 10-20 euro rate but I am not sure about the driver.

I agree that tipping is a personal choice and I think when you receive the service you can make a better choice.

I, know that on our tours everyone tipped a bit more than they might usual as the service exceeded our expectations (there were 8 of us).

I usually tip per person and then per bag for luggage, so I think you are probably being quite fair, if it were broken down into two seperate services. You didn't say how many of you are traveling or the amount of luggage. If I can remember correctly we gave the driver 10-15 Euro for two bags and my DH and myself for airport transfer only. We tipped more on the tours as we were so pleased with the service and all the "above and beyond" things that were done for us. I am confident you will have a wonderful experience!

I hope this was helpful. :)

Just back from our 7 day Venice cruise. This is my first post,but I got lots of information from this site before we went.

My summary- although more expensive, the private guides are worth it.

We had Daniella from RomeInLimo for a 3-4 hour Vatican/St.Peter's tour. That we could take an 11 and 12 year old for three hours in a hot, crowded art museum and not hear one complaint is a miracle! Do look for the elevator to the dome in st.peter's. In Turkey we had Vulcan through Ephesus Deluxe, also excellant. Again we went for hours w/ no "i'm bored".

On the other hand, at the Colosseum we joined an on-site group where woman had small microphone, too large a group, often stood w/ her back to us, we could barely hear her. (quote from my 11 yr old's journal "mom and dad tried to listen but I just pretended to and took pictures because I couldn't understand her). At Dubrovnik we rented mp3 players w/ audio tour, again the volume was insufficient, every time you tried to pause it froze up. one of them kept skipping. In both cases, the person soliciting the tour had virtually no accent but the person giving the tour had a strong accent.

I also recommend venere.com for hotel reservations. we did rome and venice on our own. were not able to buy train tickets from US but got them no problem in rome. new high speed train is under 4 hours and worked great (but bring your own lunch, food car selection is limited and runs out).

In all it was a great trip, the first few days were only mid-80s (weather is worse in NJ, expecting 101 today!). Happy sailing!

icon12.gif

I must join in the recommendations of Rome in Limo for your tours. We used them in Rome and it was amazing. I would strongly recommend taking them up on the suggestion of the separate Vatican guide, well worth the money and much better guide than i saw other had. This was the best tour we have ever taken.

Have some breakfast and schedule a 8:00 pickup, and you'll be fine.

Our day in Naples with Romeinlimo was a treat!

Singing italian songs, visiting wonderful sites, great lunch and limoncello.

The memories linger on......

Enjoy!

Mari:)

Our family of six toured with RIL in Naples, Rome and Livorno in mid- June. Tony was our driver on the Pompeii and Amalfi coast trip. We also hired a guide in Pompeii - great idea since I think we would have wasted a great deal of time deciding where to go and we had planned to only spend 2 hours there. Tony couldn't have been more attentive- bottles of cold water and snacks in the van, great restaurant in Sorrento , lots of stops for photos, extremely friendly and accommodating gentleman.

At Civitavecchia, Francesco whisked us to Rome, got our Coliseum tickets, and drove us to the usual venues. He was very knowledgeable and extremely efficient. After a lunch stop, he took us to the Vatican to meet our guide, Paula .Once again, it was money well-spent for the guide.

Sabrina met us in Livorno and we toured Pisa and saw the "other leaning tower" and some of the countryside before going to Florence. We stopped @ a beautiful Benedictine monastery just outside Florence then continued into the city. Sabrina was very personable and organized which allowed us to see as much as possible in a day. She reserved our Academia tickets so there was no wait. She took us to a little streetside

shop that had great take-out panninis and wine

All 3 drivers were scheduled to meet us @ 8am but they were waiting for us @ 7:40 when we disembarked at each port. We were back at the ship by 5:45 at the latest. RIL exceeded our expectations and I plan to use them again when back in those ports

Our family of six toured with RIL in Naples, Rome and Livorno in mid- June. Tony was our driver on the Pompeii and Amalfi coast trip. We also hired a guide in Pompeii - great idea since I think we would have wasted a great deal of time deciding where to go and we had planned to only spend 2 hours there. Tony couldn't have been more attentive- bottles of cold water and snacks in the van, great restaurant in Sorrento , lots of stops for photos, extremely friendly and accommodating gentleman.

At Civitavecchia, Francesco whisked us to Rome, got our Coliseum tickets, and drove us to the usual venues. He was very knowledgeable and extremely efficient. After a lunch stop, he took us to the Vatican to meet our guide, Paula .Once again, it was money well-spent for the guide.

Sabrina met us in Livorno and we toured Pisa and saw the "other leaning tower" and some of the countryside before going to Florence. We stopped @ a beautiful Benedictine monastery just outside Florence then continued into the city. Sabrina was very personable and organized which allowed us to see as much as possible in a day. She reserved our Academia tickets so there was no wait. She took us to a little streetside

shop that had great take-out panninis and wine

All 3 drivers were scheduled to meet us @ 8am but they were waiting for us @ 7:40 when we disembarked at each port. We were back at the ship by 5:45 at the latest. RIL exceeded our expectations and I plan to use them again when back in those ports

We recently used RIL for 3 ports (Naples, Civitavecchia, Livorno). Had diffently drivers and guides than the poster had, but the result was the same. RIL far exceeded our expectations and would strongly recommend them!

Hi,

We just booked a Oct 6 Brilliance of the Seas cruise and have lots of questions which I'm sure have been answered before. We would like to book a Romeinlimo tour in Italy, our ports are Civitavecchia, Naples & Venice. We would appreciate knowing exactly which tours to book and any additional services (guide etc.) that we should include. We have never been to Europe before and don't want to miss the "must see sights". We have no problem with 9hr tours. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hi,

We just booked a Oct 6 Brilliance of the Seas cruise and have lots of questions which I'm sure have been answered before. We would like to book a Romeinlimo tour in Italy, our ports are Civitavecchia, Naples & Venice. We would appreciate knowing exactly which tours to book and any additional services (guide etc.) that we should include. We have never been to Europe before and don't want to miss the "must see sights". We have no problem with 9hr tours. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to Cruise Critic:)

If you haven't already, please visit your Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1004977&page=6

which is where a lot of people discuss tour options and also organize their own groups.

My Roll Call has already planned excursions and we're not leaving until 10/7/11:eek::D

We too, have booked with RIL. After reading these boards everyone was very consistant in stating that a definite place to have a guide was for the Vatican tour.

I hope that you have a great cruise:)

flgirl542:

You can't go wrong with romeinlimo. Contact them and they are always ready to give you answers quickly and coordinate the tours you want. They have gone above and beyond for our group to get the tours we wanted. We have booked with them again (for 5 tours) for October, after the fantastic service we had last fall. What a fun filled three days we had on those tours with our drivers. Those memories will last forever.

You will have a great time and learn so much more about Italy, the people, the food and the cultural than you ever dreamed possible. Hats off to Duman & Jany for such a great company.

Enjoy!

Rosemarie :)

to those of you who are wondering how to plan your Rome in Limo tours, don't stress about it. E mail them from their website and tell them you want a comprehensive tour of the "don't miss" sites. Leave it to them and their drivers to plan the day for you - that's what they're there for! In addition, I would get a guide book so you are familiar with what each place has to offer ( my favorite is Rick Steve's Italy ).

I must have e mailed them 20 times or so with questions before our tours ( Amalfi, Rome and Florence ) and they answered each one within hours and were very pleasant and patient each time. Trust them - you can't go wrong!

Hi,

Romeinlimo will take care of everything for you. Ask Jany at RIL to book a guide for Pompeii (Naples) and the Vatican. Well worth it. You can also buy your tickets to the Vatican on line, which eliminates waiting in a potentially long line. Ask Jany for the time that your tour will begin since the tickets are for a specific time.

The whole idea of hiring a private tour is that they will plan the itinerary to make sure you see all the must sees! Definitely a private guide for Pompeii and the Vatican and a very nice luxury for the rest of the time too.

I would also suggest Rick Steves Italy tour guide for an overall description of what you shouldn't miss, etc., so you will be prepared. I like his book the best, bur Frommers and/or Fodors are also good investments.

The whole idea of hiring a private tour is that they will plan the itinerary to make sure you see all the must sees! Definitely a private guide for Pompeii and the Vatican and a very nice luxury for the rest of the time too.

I would also suggest Rick Steves Italy tour guide for an overall description of what you shouldn't miss, etc., so you will be prepared. I like his book the best, bur Frommers and/or Fodors are also good investments.

We use Romeinlimo and had a guide for the Vatican which made that a wonderful experience. In hindsight I wish we would have had a guide at Pompeii as well. We knew what we wanted to see in the ruins, we just had difficulty find places so we missed some of it. A guide would have helped and spread out over the 8 of us, it really would not have cost much.

to those of you who are wondering how to plan your Rome in Limo tours, don't stress about it. E mail them from their website and tell them you want a comprehensive tour of the "don't miss" sites. Leave it to them and their drivers to plan the day for you - that's what they're there for! In addition, I would get a guide book so you are familiar with what each place has to offer ( my favorite is Rick Steve's Italy ).

I actually would recommend that anyone do a little research on their own first, before arranging a tour, so that you have at least an idea of what you want to see in any given port. I would never just depend on a tour company to tell me what the "must-see" sites are. Their idea of "must-see" might be totally different from mine.

I do heartily agree, though, that the agency will have the best resources for planning the actual day's point-to-point itinerary.

For any port, even an hour or two of reading a guidebook or researching on the internet is usually enough to highlight the things that may be of interest. It's up to you if you want to dig deeper than that.

Just returned yesterday from 12 days on the Pacific Princess and found out that our terrific experience last year with RIL was not a fluke. We used them again this year for all of our arrangements in Rome (including hotel recommendations) and they totally exceeded our already high expectations. They are "world class" and I can't wait to use them again in the future!! It's great to find companies like this!!!

Yet another happy RIL customer. Had back-and-forthed between Romecabs and RIL. Also, we don't usually hire personal driver/guides, so was a little apprehensive about doing so. We were thoroughly pleased with our driver guide: pick-up from port, then a tour of Rome, then drop-off at hotel. There were a few things that we knew we wanted to see, but since we hadn't been in Rome in more than 40 years, the main things we wanted were a good overview, and also to be taken to some of the places that it might be a little difficult to get to on our own; we essentially asked that the guide make most of the "to see" decisions for us. Worked perfectly-- a nice mix of reminder of the main tourist sites in the city (so that we were oriented and then could go back and visit leisurely on our own in the next days), combined with some great places that we hadn't thought to visit. Plenty of good information along the way, but not so much that we felt overloaded. Mauro was our guide-- he was quite good and I have no doubt that Duman's other driver/guides are as well. A worthy company.