RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

I would hire a private guide for the Vatican, actually if you are booking a tour of Rome with Romeinlimo you can't go wrong. We had Paula as our guide in Rome and Vatican, she was wonderful and we got more then our moneys worth. Working with Jany is great, they get back to you very quickly with any questions you have and are very accomodating as to what you want to do on your tour. I can not recommend this company enough they made out trip to Italy because I never would have been able to see and do the things without them. Linda

Like others have said, this is not allowed. BUT... I highly suggest getting a guide. For a few hours it's not that expensive and it sure made our visit SOOO much better than our first year of doing it alone. It's doable, but it's impossible to know what you are looking at. The thing inside the Vatican museum is not just all the different pieces of art you will encounter, but the history around it all is what is amazing to me.

It is certainly not impossible with a good guidebook or even the Vatican's audiotour.

Many people prefer a guide (I'm not one of them), but that doesn't mean a guide is the only way to get the information. :cool:

I've posted before about guides giving incorrect info. The first time this ever happened to me was on a Vatican museum tour with a highly respected guide (many years ago). I know a lot about history (and a fair amount about art) and I knew that this guy was not being accurate in a lot of what he said. Since I was younger and less sure of myself I didn't say anything. Today I would. ;)

This guy, as I said, was highly recommended. He was urbane, polished, witty, and entertaining. But was he factual? Nope!

I would hire a private guide for the Vatican, actually if you are booking a tour of Rome with Romeinlimo you can't go wrong. We had Paula as our guide in Rome and Vatican, she was wonderful and we got more then our moneys worth. Working with Jany is great, they get back to you very quickly with any questions you have and are very accomodating as to what you want to do on your tour. I can not recommend this company enough they made out trip to Italy because I never would have been able to see and do the things without them. Linda

What about the tours given by the Vatican tour guides? Certainly a lot less money than a private guide. Anyone ever tried it? Judy:)

What about the tours given by the Vatican tour guides? Certainly a lot less money than a private guide. Anyone ever tried it? Judy:)

the private guides are Vatican tour guides. there is no comparison. They take you to places and via short cuts where the regular tours don't take you. :D

The official Vatican tours are pretty good. The upside is that they are usually very well versed (e.g., accurate), and the cost is lower. They cover all the highlights. On the down side, some of the guides are quite dry and the groups have 20+ people (not so much of a problem now that they use the "whisperers" for tours. Also, if there are things you especially want to see that are not on the "highlights" tour, you can't really personalize.

I've done the Vatican museums by private guide, by Vatican tour, by audiotour, and just on my own with a good guidebook. There are pluses and minuses to each, IMHO.

We have used a private guide arranged by RIL for our day in Rome, and she was wonderful. It was a small amount of money and we were able to see so much more and understanding the history of what we were looking at. Touring there with a smaller sized group (8) was a large advantage (IMO). I did not think there was a large difference in cost. Go with RIL and reserve the guide, you will so pleased that you did. :)

The upside to a private guide is the amount of people. The guides at the Museum itself can have many on the tour. That is where the information breaks down rapidly. I have been on one of these tours and I'm sure if you had them all to yourself they would be great. BUT... unless you are the one in the front row, hanging on every word, you will miss most of what a guide is telling you.

Yes, I agree... there are good guides and bad ones out there. I have had both. But I will say that I haven't been disappointed yet by anyone that we have used through Romeinlimo.

As Kazu said... no comparison. When we went the last time with my daughter still undergoing treatment for leukemia, I was pretty outspoken about what I needed. Because of the situation, I needed to make sure the guide could point me in the direction of the nearest restroom... and also know that a wheelchair would be available if needed. They were incredible with everything.

I agree that doing it on your own is a BIG possibility but if you aren't the type that knows a whole lot about history or art but are interested, I think a guide is the best way to go.

Enjoy!

I am booking RomeinLimo for Florence, Rome and Naples.

It seems the most economical way to travel is with a party of eight. I am concerned that in Rome its too many people as Jany mentioned "in Naples and Rome, you will get a Vito since with Sprinter you wont move easily around the city" Has anyonr traveled with eight in Rome? Am I going to be crowded? Is the seating easily accesible in the Vito or do I have to crawl in to get to the back seat

Thanks for your helpful info to my previous question

RIL's "mini vans" are Mercedes with 3 seated in the far back, 3 seated in the middle and 2 seated with the driver up front. Easily accessible and comfortable for 8. We did Rome with 4, Naples with 8 and Tuscany with 2, GREAT tours!

There is no issue at all when it comes to room for the passengers with Rome in Limo (at least not in our experience). if you are concerned about the 'vito', just ask Jany. she is excellent at answering any questions.

I am booking RomeinLimo for Florence, Rome and Naples.

It seems the most economical way to travel is with a party of eight. I am concerned that in Rome its too many people as Jany mentioned "in Naples and Rome, you will get a Vito since with Sprinter you wont move easily around the city" Has anyonr traveled with eight in Rome? Am I going to be crowded? Is the seating easily accesible in the Vito or do I have to crawl in to get to the back seat

Thanks for your helpful info to my previous question

Thanks this information helps

The two that sit up front with the driver, they share a bench seat?

Thanks this information helps

The two that sit up front with the driver, they share a bench seat?

They were two seats on ours with a divider you could lift up or down.

I wouldn't call it a bench seat. it was very comfortable, in fact, people were taking places to get this spot as it had great views and huge windshields.

They were two seats on ours with a divider you could lift up or down.

I wouldn't call it a bench seat. it was very comfortable, in fact, people were taking places to get this spot as it had great views and huge windshields.

Appreciate the information I am having trouble picturing this. If two people are sitting next to the driver it would seem to be fairly tight. Does the divider separate ypo from the driver

Has anyone driven in a mercedes vito

Appreciate the information I am having trouble picturing this. If two people are sitting next to the driver it would seem to be fairly tight. Does the divider separate ypo from the driver

Has anyone driven in a mercedes vito

It didn't seem tight to us - the stick shift and that stuff was between the middle passenger and the driver. Then, like in our cars, we had arm rests that you could put up or down. When dh and I were in the front seat we chose not to use the arm rest.

So we lifted it up to give us more room. (and we don't mind sitting close to each other). I hope this helps a bit :D

Seriously, ask Jany if you are concerned, she will either describe it well or send you a picture or tell you where there is one on their website.

I'm not a Rome in Limo cheerleader, but we were very, very happy with our tours and no one felt cramped (and we did do Rome). Have a great cruise:D

It didn't seem tight to us - the stick shift and that stuff was between the middle passenger and the driver. Then, like in our cars, we had arm rests that you could put up or down. When dh and I were in the front seat we chose not to use the arm rest.

So we lifted it up to give us more room. (and we don't mind sitting close to each other). I hope this helps a bit :D

Seriously, ask Jany if you are concerned, she will either describe it well or send you a picture or tell you where there is one on their website.

I'm not a Rome in Limo cheerleader, but we were very, very happy with our tours and no one felt cramped (and we did do Rome). Have a great cruise:D

Thank you and that was very helpful, I feel better about it

Does anyone know the difference between a Mercedes Viano and Vito?

Have you traveled on one. On Romeinlimo it seems the Viano fits 6

We did a couple tours with RIL over the last couple years. There were 6 of us and I might say we are on the "large" size but we were very comfortable. So I would say 2 more people wouldn't be a problem. Plus in ROme there isn't a lot of distance between stops so you won't spend a lot of time driving except to and from the ship. Their website has a lot of useful info about their vehicles.

We did a couple tours with RIL over the last couple years. There were 6 of us and I might say we are on the "large" size but we were very comfortable. So I would say 2 more people wouldn't be a problem. Plus in ROme there isn't a lot of distance between stops so you won't spend a lot of time driving except to and from the ship. Their website has a lot of useful info about their vehicles.

Thanks I checked the website under fleet, it helped but did not help answer my question about seating arrangements

Soccer71... I think the best thing to do is email Jany and ask for exact seating configuration. I have traveled many times with Romeinlimo and have never been uncomfortable in the vans. That said, I have not toured with 8. This is way I almost ALWAYS limit anything I put together to 6 and then when others want to join tours, I just book another van and hope it fills up also. If you are stuck with 8, I would email Jany and find out what your options are, as I would not want to sit up with the driver plus another person either. I do know their mercedes vans (something we have always had) are VERY nice! Now... when we were taken to the port last time we traveled with 7 and there was TOTALLY room for one more. It was a larger van and you were able to sit 2 and 2... which is way better when touring with your significant other.

Email Jany... she'll do everything she can to clear things up for you.

Soccer71... I think the best thing to do is email Jany and ask for exact seating configuration. I have traveled many times with Romeinlimo and have never been uncomfortable in the vans. That said, I have not toured with 8. This is way I almost ALWAYS limit anything I put together to 6 and then when others want to join tours, I just book another van and hope it fills up also. If you are stuck with 8, I would email Jany and find out what your options are, as I would not want to sit up with the driver plus another person either. I do know their mercedes vans (something we have always had) are VERY nice! Now... when we were taken to the port last time we traveled with 7 and there was TOTALLY room for one more. It was a larger van and you were able to sit 2 and 2... which is way better when touring with your significant other.

Email Jany... she'll do everything she can to clear things up for you.

Thanks I took your advice and emailed and spoke to Jany, she cleared up all my questions. Very patient and professional

I booked all three tours for 6 passengers she reccomended the Viano as its a little more luxurious and comfortable.

I can't wait to go and thanks again for your advice and help

We used Rome in Limo two years ago and they were fantastic. We booked tours from Rome to Florence and also a tour of Tuscany from the port of Livorno. Our drivers was professional and gave us so much background information. I'm planning on booking them this year for an excursion from Naples.

Just one question, how was the Amalfi Coast tour? Was it as terrific as Florence and Tuscany?

We used Rome in Limo two years ago and they were fantastic. We booked tours from Rome to Florence and also a tour of Tuscany from the port of Livorno. Our drivers was professional and gave us so much background information. I'm planning on booking them this year for an excursion from Naples.

Just one question, how was the Amalfi Coast tour? Was it as terrific as Florence and Tuscany?

We LOVED our Amalfi coast tour! It's my favorite area in all Med cruises. Romeinlimo is fantastic! BEST BEST tour! :)

Does anyone know if the private tour companies are able to meet their passengers right at the ship in Civitaveccha for a Rome tour vs outside the port gate. I have read that you have to ride a shuttle bus to the port gate. They will not allow you to walk, but I was wondering if tour companies are allowed to enter the port area and then you would not have to ride the shuttle bus.