RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

When our cruise ship docked in Civitavecchia, we decided to book a tour of Tuscany, since all of us had been to Rome before. We chose Rome in Limo Tours from reviews we read here and on Tripadvisor. Our first treat was when we saw our van. It was larger than any of the other vans we had been on for our other tours, although there were still only 8 of us on the tour. Additionally, we were given free internet throughout our ride. Our great driver, Nick, treated us all like royalty. He offered us lots of interesting information on the area, and yet gave us plenty of space and time to explore on our own. The two towns that we visited,Pitiglia and Sovana, were some of the most beautiful places we had ever seen. They were so clean, the people so welcoming, and the flowers so gorgeous. We know that we could not have found a better way to spend our day in Italy. You can't go wrong with Rome in Limo Tours!

When our cruise ship docked in Civitavecchia, we decided to book a tour of Tuscany, since all of us had been to Rome before. We chose Rome in Limo Tours from reviews we read here and on Tripadvisor. Our first treat was when we saw our van. It was larger than any of the other vans we had been on for our other tours, although there were still only 8 of us on the tour. Additionally, we were given free internet throughout our ride. Our great driver, Nick, treated us all like royalty. He offered us lots of interesting information on the area, and yet gave us plenty of space and time to explore on our own. The two towns that we visited,Pitiglia and Sovana, were some of the most beautiful places we had ever seen. They were so clean, the people so welcoming, and the flowers so gorgeous. We know that we could not have found a better way to spend our day in Italy. You can't go wrong with Rome in Limo Tours!

Hi-I am so grateful to cruise critic and all the suggestions...Europe on a cruise is so port intensive, its exhausting just to do the research!

I am so glad that I decided on Rome in Limo, I know the tours of Rome and the Italian riviera with them will be wonderful, affordable and best use of time in a place we have never been to before.

We are very excited to be leaving in 4 days!!! My first vacation in 5 yrs and after all the research, I need one!

Thank you again to all for the great advice, its helped so much.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, I have never been to Pitigliano neither to "Sovana"! Is that how you spell?

Just returned from a cruise and used RIL in 2 ports..... Florence and Salerno, they outdid themselves Elizabeth in Florence and Diego for an Amalfi Coast tour...al I can say is it was well spent money....

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, I have never been to Pitigliano neither to "Sovana"! Is that how you spell?

Yes, Pitigliano and Sovana. Google both for some great pictures, but the pictures don't do them justice. We could have spent more time in both places and probably never would have wondered there on our own. We loved our time there. The drive out through the country side was beautiful and relaxing too. So glad we chose that tour.

Recently back from 9 night Med cruise on Splendour of the Seas. Used RIL to tour Rome, including the Vatican with separate guide. RIL representatives were very responsive to emails prior to the cruise including several changes to the group size as we added some others from CC. Guide was waiting for us, ahead of schedule, when we disembarked in Civitavecchia and did an excellent tour of the listed places. Stopped at a great restaurant for lunch before going on to the Vatican. The guide, Mike, provided good commentary of the sights we stopped at. As recommended, all had prepurchased the tickets for the Coliseum and Vatican which saved time when we were there. Federica was our guide for the Vatican and she was exceptional at moving us around/through the crowds at the entrance to get us into the Vatican in good time. Overall was a fantastic tour and well recommended.

I third that vote for a private guide. The information they shared is so far beyond anything you can read in advance and I read a lot before my visit. In fact , my sister will be on Rome on a land tour and I am trying to help her find a private guide to the Vatican since she is doing a DIY tour. No luck yet.

If you are not prepared to do a heck of a lot of research, a guide is almost required in the Vatican. There is such an immense amount to see....you can't hope to get an understanding without some help.

My take on the RIL guide is the number one thing it keeps you from getting "lost" and getting at least some history. To think one can do the Vatican and all in a couple hours is crazy, but you can get a taste and see the biggest thing. Agree that even with lots of research the place is overwhelming if you are on a tight schedule, a guide is a must and money well spent!

Yes, Pitigliano and Sovana. Google both for some great pictures, but the pictures don't do them justice. We could have spent more time in both places and probably never would have wondered there on our own. We loved our time there. The drive out through the country side was beautiful and relaxing too. So glad we chose that tour.

Thank you very much, do you have any picture to share with us?

I have googled those name and not much came out :(

Thank you very much, do you have any picture to share with us?

I have googled those name and not much came out :(

Not sure how to post pictures here, but if you email me, I will send you some. jtshoultz at gmail dot com

When I Googled both places, information came up, but also images. The images section had lots of great photos, but I will be happy to share some of mine.

Jane

I'll echo the guide being a good value. It's certainly possible to do it yourself, there are audio tours and such, BUT having someone who is intimately familiar with the layout can make sure you maximize the limited time you have on hand, seeing what you want to see. A good guide will add information not on the signs (which are hard to read anyway, due to the crowds) and point out the best viewing angles etc, things you may miss on your own.

My take on the RIL guide is the number one thing it keeps you from getting "lost" and getting at least some history. To think one can do the Vatican and all in a couple hours is crazy, but you can get a taste and see the biggest thing. Agree that even with lots of research the place is overwhelming if you are on a tight schedule, a guide is a must and money well spent!

Not sure how to post pictures here, but if you email me, I will send you some. jtshoultz at gmail dot com

When I Googled both places, information came up, but also images. The images section had lots of great photos, but I will be happy to share some of mine.

Jane

I was able to find everything I needed online, can you please advice if you were able to do some wine testing and how much you end up paying for lunch?

Thank you Jane :)

No, we didn't do any official wine tasting, but we did enjoy wonderful glasses of wine in both Sovana and Pitigliano. I bought a wonderful bottle of Vermentino at a tiny shop built into a cave just before arriving at the town. We ate lunch at an outside cafe and the cost was very reasonable. I don't remember the exact amount, but I'm sure it was $10 or less each. If you wish to do a wine tour and tasting on the tour, just email RomeinLimo and I'm sure they will work something out for you. Our guide, Nick, was outstanding and very accommodating. Wish we were going back one day soon!

We used Rome in Limo, outstanding :) Get any tickets you can ahead of time, Col. on line etc. as long as you know day visiting to avoid lines. Sister did vatican & all the guides were booked, its worth it, reserve early. Pompeii tcks are easily purchased at Pompeii, no lines. Have fun, Rome was amazing and RiL are best tour guides out there.

My mother and I just got back from the NCL Epic and did RIL tours in the Naples, Rome and Livorno. We had an extremely positive experience with each tour even though we signed up with different groups. It was very nice to see each of these ports in small groups as opposed to busloads. It was also more economical than taking the ships tours.

In Naples, we did the tour of Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano. Stefano was our driver guide. He was local to the area and gave us a great driving tour along the Amalfi Coast. We had a tour guide at Pompeii which I would highly recommend. The site is very big and it was nice to have a guide to lead us through and answer questions. It was also advantageous to be in a smaller group, because were we able to see more. We were able to stop for some photo ops along the way to Positano as the scenery is simply breathtaking. When we arrived at Positano, we had some free time and ate lunch at a restaurant with a terrific view of the coast. Lunch was an additional cost but well worth it! Finally we ended in Sorrento, with a little time to shop and explore. Very nice tour!

For Rome, we were picked up in Civitavecchia and went to Rome. We had a little snafu initially as two members in our group never showed, so we got a late start, but our driver Carlo did not let that impact the quality of tour we had. One suggestion for future is that you pick a place on the ship to meet 10 minutes before your tour and disembark with your group. Anyway, it's a little over 1 hour to Rome. Our first stop was the Vatican museum. We had purchased our tickets in advance and even though we were late, our driver assisted in getting us into the museum pretty quickly. One additional note, we visited Rome on a Wed, so the Pope had his general audience. Our group did the vatican museum tour in the am so we could avoid the crowds in the pm, however, we were unable to enter the Basilica. Just something to keep in mind if you are visiting then. We also had a Colosseum visit in the pm. In between we visited so many sites it's a bit of a blur, but lots of photo ops. Carlo did a nice job taking us to many of the incredible sites in Rome including Circus Maximus, Piazza di Navona, etc.. There is simply no way to see everything in Rome in a day, but you can get to a lot of the sites you want to with RIL. Carlo was great a making some pit stops where our group showed interest. This was by far the most full day but very memorable!

Finally our last tour was with Elizabetta who met us at the port of Livorno. Elizabetta was a terrific driver guide also and extremely knowledgeable about the area. She gave us great background info on our way to Pisa and Florence. Pisa was very cool, some folks bought tickets in advance and at the site to climb the tower and there was ample time to do so. After Pisa we went to Florence which was terrific. We stopped on one of the bridges for a terrific photo op and saw so many landmarks. We had free time to explore near the leather market and did lunch on our own. In the pm we went to see the Statue of David and had another photo op at the Piazza di Michelangelo. Traffic was horrible on our way back, but Elizabetta took a short cut which gave us a chance to see the countryside and beat the traffic and we made it back to the ship on time.

Overall the experience with RIL was great. All vehicles were clean and spacious. The guides, Stefano, Carlo and Elizabetta were simply fabulous and very accommodating. I would highly recommend utilizing Rome in Limos for your shore excursions.

No, we didn't do any official wine tasting, but we did enjoy wonderful glasses of wine in both Sovana and Pitigliano. I bought a wonderful bottle of Vermentino at a tiny shop built into a cave just before arriving at the town. We ate lunch at an outside cafe and the cost was very reasonable. I don't remember the exact amount, but I'm sure it was $10 or less each. If you wish to do a wine tour and tasting on the tour, just email RomeinLimo and I'm sure they will work something out for you. Our guide, Nick, was outstanding and very accommodating. Wish we were going back one day soon!

Thank you very much, this has been really helpful :)

Spent a Day in Rome with two other couples who responded to our post to share a Limo. We haad Fransesco as our driver. He was so awesome, a real special guy who was so knowledgeable of the sights and took us to the best places for special photo ops. :)

We all booked the Coliseum with pre bought tickets and also did the same for the Vatican. We arranged for a tour guide at the Vatican with RomeInLimo as you bypass the hundreds waiting on line and walk right in. Our guide was Massimo. He knew every detail about all we saw. He managed to get us to all the great works and explained everything about what we were looking at.

My husband and I made the best desicion when we planned and booked this day from the start! It is the best way to see Rome when you have limited time when on a cruise. We sailed on Holland America. 5* to this excellent company.

Thank you Francesco, Massimo and Jany for making Rome a memorable experience!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We had an amazing day touring the Amalfi coast and Herculaneum with Romeinlimo. We were met on time (early) and left right away. Our driver Tony had a wonderful sense of humor and was an excellent driver. He knew all the great spots to pull over for pictures and loved the area as much as we did. He was so much fun and made our day even more enjoyable than we ever expected. The van was in perfect condition. Look no further, book it!

Edited by takemeaway7

we ended up requesting the guide as everyone suggested. now hopefully we can get some people to share the tour with us. our roll call is only 2 pages deep so i'm not holding my breath on that one lol

Now is the time for you to be active on your roll call if your group is not fully yet!