Changes to MDR Seating times NOS - check yours!!

Greetings,

I'm sailing on the NOS on 6th June and checked my booking yesterday to find my confirmed 2nd seating time has been changed from 830pm (2030) to 915pm (2115)!:eek:

Having called RCCL today I've been advised there has been changes in the dining times of several ships/cruises. Apparently 'we' should have been informed by our Travel Agents or by RCCL if booked direct.

For the NOS the set dining times on my cruise are now

1st Seating - 645pm/1845 (was 615pm/1815)

2nd seating - 915pm/2115 (was 830pm/2030)

So I'll be changing to MTD now as ones too early and the others too late! :confused:

Don't know if this is just our ship/cruise but thought you may be interested incase its your ship/cruise too!

That has something to do with the LARGE number of spanish who prefer to eat late. It looks like we may hit that snag too. In the passed they had 4 seatings in the Med on the shorter cruises now that is no longer possible because of the any time dining in the MDR. We may also change to Anytime bcause of it.

Greetings,

I'm sailing on the NOS on 6th June and checked my booking yesterday to find my confirmed 2nd seating time has been changed from 830pm (2030) to 915pm (2115)!:eek:

Having called RCCL today I've been advised there has been changes in the dining times of several ships/cruises. Apparently 'we' should have been informed by our Travel Agents or by RCCL if booked direct.

For the NOS the set dining times on my cruise are now

1st Seating - 645pm/1845 (was 615pm/1815)

2nd seating - 915pm/2115 (was 830pm/2030)

So I'll be changing to MTD now as ones too early and the others too late! :confused:

Don't know if this is just our ship/cruise but thought you may be interested incase its your ship/cruise too!

Hi,

Although this does not effect us. I also agree that the new times are too late.

I wonder if this is the way to get more passengers to switch to the new MTD?

This could mess up the show times as well since the late dinner passengers see the show beforehand & the early dinner passengers see the show last.

It seems that Royal is trying to p--s off everyone these days by changing the rules as they go along. Add the dinner times to this.

With all the upcoming changes that I am unhappy with, I am now researching other options as to what cruiseline to cruise with & it might not be Royal.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

This seems to be something which happens on Navigator. We were on Voyager from Barcelona last year and, having seen how late 2nd sitting was on Navigator, I emailed RCCL asking if it was the same on Voyager. They offered 2 times on Voyager 8.30 and 9.00 pm so we requested, and got, 8.30. However, I do remember that the Voyager sailings were even later. I also recollect that the times may have been later during the summer months and adjusted to earlier times a little later in the year (we sailed in October).

It may be worth checking whether they do have 2 times for each sitting, particularly since it is the same class of ship.

I don't like to eat early but 9.30 is just too late :( As someone pointed out, it's all to do with the fact that the Spanish eat very late but ironic that the majority of people on board were from the US or UK

The 'new' computer system now shows the actual times of dining on each ship - as before the 6:15/8:30 was only an indication and in reality the dining could be as early as 5:30 or as late as 9:30.

Now you actually know what time your dining is until waiting until you board. This can only be an improvement to the system

Dining is always later out of Spain and Italy because of the continental habit of eating late. This happens every year so should not come as a surprise to anyone.

I would write and complain about this ASAP. Also on the questionaire at the end of the cruise. While on board talk to others and tell them to do the same. This is the only way to change it.

There is no point complaining as this is the way it has always been, nothing is different.

Thank goodness there is now MTD as a viable alternative.

Hi,

Although this does not effect us. I also agree that the new times are too late.

I wonder if this is the way to get more passengers to switch to the new MTD?

This could mess up the show times as well since the late dinner passengers see the show beforehand & the early dinner passengers see the show last.

It seems that Royal is trying to p--s off everyone these days by changing the rules as they go along. Add the dinner times to this.

With all the upcoming changes that I am unhappy with, I am now researching other options as to what cruiseline to cruise with & it might not be Royal.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

I am sure that they will adjust the times of the shows to match the dinner seatings. No biggie.

We prefer late dining. It gives time for my tea to go down :D

We like to relax on our balcony for sail away and then take our time getting ready. 9pm is about right for us on a cruise, we are usually finished just in time for the show. Then we go back to our cabin for a nightcap.

Yes, the later dining seatings are unique to Europe. Then in the Caribbean on some itineraries, there are extremely early seatings to accommodate certain preferences in that market. Brilliance was one of the first ships to do this when she was splitting her time between Europe and the Caribbean. In the Caribbean her dining times were 5:30 and 8pm - 30 minutes earlier than other Caribbean sailings. But when she went over to Europe in the summers her seatings were at least 30 minute to an hour LATER than other ships.

If the seating times don't meet your needs, definitely switch to My Time Dining. In fact, you may want to see if you can switch before you board the ship.

I would write and complain about this ASAP. Also on the questionaire at the end of the cruise. While on board talk to others and tell them to do the same. This is the only way to change it.

Why does it have to be a complaint, why can't it just be an observation, the OP has changed to MTD in order to satisy their needs. This cruise has been changed to suit the needs of the large number of passengers that wanted to eat later. We all have to accept that as cruises become more popular to many nationalities, this kind of thing will happen more often. I suppose you might complain about announcements being made in a foreign language as well. Life should not be about complaining all the time, its a cruise simply enjoy it.

Why does it have to be a complaint, why can't it just be an observation, the OP has changed to MTD in order to satisy their needs.

Unfortunately that is the flavor of the week around here lately. Cruise Critic should give every poster 1 complaint every six months. LOL And you can't carry them over........:)

Why does it have to be a complaint, why can't it just be an observation, the OP has changed to MTD in order to satisy their needs. This cruise has been changed to suit the needs of the large number of passengers that wanted to eat later. We all have to accept that as cruises become more popular to many nationalities, this kind of thing will happen more often. I suppose you might complain about announcements being made in a foreign language as well. Life should not be about complaining all the time, its a cruise simply enjoy it.

I agree! I see no reason to complain, gather a consortium, put it on the comment sheet, etc. Too much negativity for a vacation IMO.

Other passengers from other cultures who are in the majority on a particular cruise should be accommodated. My Time Dining lets us all eat when we want!!

I'm just off the last 5-night on Navigator.

The dining times were 6:45 and 9:15. I was not notified of this change in advance, but I expected it because I read about it here first. :-)

We chose MTD because we thought the dining times were too early/too late. But, in the end, we wound up eating at 9pm the last three nights. All the ship's shows and activities are skewed to the later times. Also, we watched the sun set each night and then went to dinner, which wound up close to 9pm.

I just checked my NV ressie and it is fine...8.30pm Dining

There are now 4 times for Traditional dining, 5.30pm,6.30pm.8.30pm & 9.30pm.

Liz this info re Oasis is interesting. I kind of like that idea and would opt for the 6:30pmm time. Is this on all the OAsis sailings as far as you know or for the inaugural ones that you are booked on?

I would call and request a 6:30pm traditional for my Oct/2010 sailing.

It has been a while since I paid much attention to RCCL. What does MTD stand for and what is it?

It stands for My Time Dining - which means you don't have a set seat/eat time. You can go to the MDR (Main dining room!) anytime between 645pm and 915pm and sit. If its busy or no tables you have to wait.

Also it could be different table/servers etc every night but it seems that if you request it you can get the same each night if able.

Its being rolled out on most of RCCL ships I believe.

Liz this info re Oasis is interesting. I kind of like that idea and would opt for the 6:30pmm time. Is this on all the OAsis sailings as far as you know or for the inaugural ones that you are booked on?

I would call and request a 6:30pm traditional for my Oct/2010 sailing.

Hi Emmy

It is Fleetwide :D

In "My Cruises", Profile, Onboard Preferences, you will find, Beds set up & then MTD & the new 4 Traditional Dining Times :)

I can only check I have correct dining times on my two bookings made here just now as cant access my two oasis ones(made in US) due to website error :(

Its being rolled out on most of RCCL ships I believe.

It went Fleetwide a few months ago but due to hiccup with the system it wasnt available correctly for booking before sailing until earlier this month...11th May it went fully into the RCCL system :)

Hi Emmy

It is Fleetwide :D

In "My Cruises", Profile, Onboard Preferences, you will find, Beds set up & then MTD & the new 4 Traditional Dining Times :)

I can only check I have correct dining times on my two bookings made here just now as cant access my two oasis ones(made in US) due to website error :(

Okay Liz yes I have checked on My Cruises & there for my Oasis dining times it says Traditional 6pm No Waitlists... so does this mean that I can call and change to the 6:30pm time. I want traditional but a 6:30pm time seems perfect.

Don't forget the windjammer is still open so if the late sitting doesn't suit there's that as well. we ate in the MD twice in the 5 days we were on the Nav mainly cos the menu didnt suit all off us everyday.

Okay Liz yes I have checked on My Cruises & there for my Oasis dining times it says Traditional 6pm No Waitlists... so does this mean that I can call and change to the 6:30pm time. I want traditional but a 6:30pm time seems perfect.

Does it not give you the 4 traditional times to choose from in Profile/Onboard preferences?

I selected 8.30pm and then saved and checked the two ressies I can access and see they both say 8.30pm.

With the website still having errors I would suggest maybe checking with your TA though...just to make sure ;):D

There are now 4 times for Traditional dining, 5.30pm,6.30pm.8.30pm & 9.30pm.
If you are referring to the times listed under Profile, Onboard Preferences, I do not believe those are new traditional dining times. Times differ according to ship and itinerary. Under your profile I think RCCL is just trying to get what your ideal time would be so they can match it up as close as possible with your preference once you book another cruise.

We had staggered traditional dining time on Voyager in the Mediterranean. Early seating was 6:30 and 7:00, late seating was 9:00 and 9:30. A few months later we sailed Voyager out of Galveston. Early seating was 5:30 :eek: and late seating was 8:00.

Mediterranean cruises typically have much later dining times and I knew that from reading CC. We got the standard spiel of 6:00 for early and 8:30 for late when we booked and every time I called and asked about it because I had read here on the boards of the later staggered times. All my booked invoices from RCCL stated we had early dining at 6:00. WRONG! But I knew because I'm CC savvy. ;)

I think the OP got caught up in the recent changes made online and now your actual time for your ship/itinerary shows. You never actually had 8:30 seating. It's just all they were able to show for late until the "fix" last week. You're lucky that you have MTD to choose from. We did not. And even with 7:00 seating we had to hustle to dinner on more than one night.

emmy - even on ships that do the staggered dining times you do not get to choose. It's still simply early or late and you find out which early or late you get once you get you SeaPass card.

Does it not give you the 4 traditional times to choose from in Profile/Onboard preferences?

I selected 8.30pm and then saved and checked the two ressies I can access and see they both say 8.30pm.

With the website still having errors I would suggest maybe checking with your TA though...just to make sure ;):D

Elizanessie - I just explained my theory of the 4 dining times above.

Changing it in Profile/Onboard Preferences does not update current reservations. It didn't for me anyway. I tried to change to MTD this way and it didn't work. I had to call.

Your current reservations are now showing the actual time of late dining for your ship/itinerary where they may not have been before the "fix."

Does any of this make sense??? :p ;)

Unfortunately that is the flavor of the week around here lately. Cruise Critic should give every poster 1 complaint every six months. LOL And you can't carry them over........:)

That's Not Fair!

crap, now I have to wait 6 months. Well, that's not fai--- ooops.

Archived