I'm a worrywart

Pimienta

DH and I are flying in to Miami the same day as our cruise, (I know, I know).

We are arriving at one ten in the afternoon, and we have to go through customs. Azamara Journey leaves the Port of Miami at 5 p.m.

I read that it's only twenty minutes away from the airport. If all goes well, does this give us enough time to make the cruise OK? It's ten months away, and already I'm worried.

Thanks in advance.

Karen

We are arriving at one ten in the afternoon, and we have to go through customs. Azamara Journey leaves the Port of Miami at 5 p.m.

I read that it's only twenty minutes away from the airport. If all goes well, does this give us enough time to make the cruise OK? It's ten months away, and already I'm worried.

Thanks in advance.

Karen

If you are going to worry for the next 10 months..I suggest you go in the day before..lots to do in Miami and great restaurants..that will relieve your stress!!

Jancruz1

Thanks in advance.

Karen

Surely you do not have to go through customs arriving from Virginia. Where are you arriving from?

If your flight is from abroad (and involves connections), you should arrive one day early; otherwise it would be too close for my comfort. Flights are more often late than on time these days.

Thanks all. I will be arriving from Mexico. Guadalajara to Mexico City, then to Miami.

I won't be worrying about this the whole ten months. I'm sure I'll find other things to worry about in the interim. :rolleyes:

Karen

If all goes well, does this give us enough time to make the cruise OK?

Hi Karen,

If all goes well, then yes you should be able to make the cruise in time.

It sounds like you'll have about 2 hours of leeway time since you need to be at the ship 60 minutes in advance (you can check embarkation requirements on Azamara's website). But if you have a delay leaving Guadalajara or changes/delays in Mexico City, then it could mean meeting the ship 3 days later in the U.S. Virgin Islands, and paying for another flight to get there. It really depends on what your comfort level is but I know that I would be worried with having to count on 2 flights being on time, collecting luggage and going through customs, with only a couple of hours to allow for delays.

Hi Karen,

If all goes well, then yes you should be able to make the cruise in time.

It sounds like you'll have about 2 hours of leeway time since you need to be at the ship 60 minutes in advance (you can check embarkation requirements on Azamara's website). But if you have a delay leaving Guadalajara or changes/delays in Mexico City, then it could mean meeting the ship 3 days later in the U.S. Virgin Islands, and paying for another flight to get there. It really depends on what your comfort level is but I know that I would be worried with having to count on 2 flights being on time, collecting luggage and going through customs, with only a couple of hours to allow for delays.

Ditto. Too many factors out of your control; big down side if you miss boarding the ship.

I'm a worrywart too, and here's why:

On my first cruise (back in 1992!) my mother and I flew from Maine to Ft Lauderdale, with a change of plane in Newark. Our travel agent assured us that we had four hours to spare between our scheduled arrival time and the ship's departure.

Well, our plane out of Bangor broke, and by the time they fixed it, we had missed our connection in Newark. We landed in Ft Lauderdale one hour before sailing, and when we arrived at the ship by speeding taxi, they pulled up the gangplank as soon as we were all the way on board, dragging all our suitcases! They completed the paperwork at the purser's desk, as the ship sailed. (They had more leeway with the regulations, in those days.)

I was such a wreck that they had to seat me in the lobby, bring me a foofy Drink of the Day, and fan me with a magazine!

So now I always want to arrive at least the day before. For an overseas flight, I want to arrive two days before!

Lisa

I believe I have DH convinced to arrive a day early, now. Thanks everyone for your input.

This is our first cruise with Azamara, and I think it's going to be great. We have been on Carnival, RCCL; and Oceania twice. Smaller ships seem to "fit" us better. ;)

Karen

I believe I have DH convinced to arrive a day early, now. Thanks everyone for your input.

This is our first cruise with Azamara, and I think it's going to be great. We have been on Carnival, RCCL; and Oceania twice. Smaller ships seem to "fit" us better. ;)

Karen

Good move..no more worrying!!

Jancruz1

Karen

Hi Karen !

I also vote for flying in the day before your Cruise. Personally, I would not take the chance of missing the ship. Fly in a day early, have a nice dinner in Miami, and head to Journey around mid-day. This will make your travels virtually stress free !

You will be glad you made this decision, and I am confident you will love Azamara. Enjoy your Cruise !

Definitely go the day before! Just got back from a Journey eastern med cruise. Our flight schedule was to arrive on Friday morning for a Saturday cruise. Our flight from Fort Lauderdale to Newark was put in a holding pattern over North Carolina due to "weather conditions" in the Newark area, and then we ran low on fuel and had to land in NC to refuel. By the time we landed in Newark, we had missed our connection to Athens by 30 minutes. We were rerouted Newark-Madrid-Athens, and we still managed to get in Friday night. Our luggage was not on the flight, but thankfully was delivered Saturday morning on a different flight. In the end, it all worked out, but only because we had the extra day as a safety cushion.

We flew in early for our April 15th cruise, but there were some people that had some problems flying in the same day and it caused alot of stress. When we flew home, the very last leg of our trip got cancelled due to weather. So you never know, I'd vote to fly in the day before and just relax and enjoy your stay.

I also vote for flying in the day before your Cruise. Personally, I would not take the chance of missing the ship.

Karen

I agree. Even if you had made it, your luggage may not have done. We always fly in early enough for our luggage to catch us up it it decides to take a different route. [but this may because of travelling through Heathow with BA!]

Sue

Thanks DougYWG. That is good to know. Now I can be prepared for a hike and a long line. At least I won't be surprised and dismayed. Perhaps I can still be a little irritated. :D

Karen

New (new during the past 6-7 months, if I recall correctly) departing USA immigration has required that a complete list of cruise passengers be submitted to them 90 minutes prior to sailing. After that, no additions to the list. Boy, oh boy - I sure wouldn't chance it and would definitely fly in the previous day. ----Penny

Without wishing to sound rude (apologies if I come over that way).

Your question is rhetorical. You have answered yourself.

If you are flying in from Mexico, all you need is a 2 hour delay and 30 minutes to get luggage and you will get to the port of Miami absolutely bang on 4 o'clock assuming no traffic hassle.

Since the law now states you cannot board if you are an hour or less before departure, I think it is a no brainer under any circumstances whatsoever.

It is your holiday. Holidays are meant to be stress free. What if you get a slight schedule change. The combinations of t hings that can go wwrong are high.

I cannot conceive of anyone who would tell you tthat this flight is a good option for you.

Thank you, Garyorient. We are now flying in the day before. I wanted to fly in the day before all along. DH did not. All of these wonderful replies convinced him.

So, thanks to you all, as well. No more worries.;)

Karen

Thank you, Garyorient. We are now flying in the day before. I wanted to fly in the day before all along. DH did not. All of these wonderful replies convinced him.

So, thanks to you all, as well. No more worries.;)

Karen

Hi Karen !

Glad to hear it. Enjoy your Cruise !

Archived