Sovereign of the seas inaugural ports of call

I didn't go on her in her first year but it was definitely during the first two years. We definitely went to St Thomas and San Juan. Labadee may have been on the original itinerary. I have never been to Labadee even though it was scheduled for several of the my cruises, but was canceled (months in advance) due to political unrest.

I would have loved to sail on her when she was a new ship, she was still a great ship for little getaways in her older years, but I can only immagine what a beauty she was when she was in her glory. She'll always be special to us because she was our first cruise. We miss her!

She was our first cruise also. We were spoiled after that. I will always remember seeing the Centrum for the first time....all that glass and brass.

If you don't mind be asking, do you remember what you paid back then for a seven day cruise? I always hear how much more expencive they were before it was so mainstream.

Sorry....I couldn't even guess. But...we had booked a quad with a couple (close friends) and were splitting the full cost of cabin...3th &4th at lower rates. Somehow RCI found out and needed a quad for a family and they gave us 2 cabins (outside) same cat. that we booked at...next to each other for the same price. It's a good thing...4 adults would never have survived in those (size) cabins.:eek: We knew nothing when we did the booking.

She was our first cruise also. We were spoiled after that. I will always remember seeing the Centrum for the first time....all that glass and brass.

we cut our teeth on her also and have never regreted it since:)

Yup! That sure was a grand entrance...just sailed her sister the Monarch last week, and even though its a nice ship, it didn't have the WOW factor for the Sovereign...and I haven't been on a ship since boarding her 21 years ago so only have that to compare.

Thanks for helping trigger the memories....

We were on the Sovereign of the Seas in April '91. Here's a copy of the front page of the Passenger List showing the ports of call.

We paid $2760 for a cat G (outside) including air from So. California. for a 7 night cruise..................and thought it was a great deal. :)

IMG_4971.jpg

Your question brings back a great memory of our very first cruise in 1994. We did the Eastern Caribbean, 7-nt itinerary, on the Sovereign. We sailed out of Miami, and stopped at San Juan, St. Thomas, Nassau, and three sea days. We paid a little over $1200 pp, and that included airfare from Baltimore to Miami, and we had a regular outside cabin. I remember our cruise director was Ken Rush. And it was the beginning of my love affair with cruising....:D

Karen

Archived