Which was right?

So, my parents have sailed RCCl for all 5 of their cruises. Have used birth certificates throughout each, we are a family of 7 and me and my brothers usually accompany them when we get home from college/military life. This last time when we boarded the Monarch, she had her birth certificate which has her last name before marriage, (her ID cards had her new last name, which they've been married for 25 years coming up). The agent made a big hassle and said that without her marriage license she might not be able to board (she got on anyways).

But, in their past 4 cruises, the same birth certificate with no marriage license worked fine. Hence, we figured nothing wrong with our usual procedure, for those that have the same situation, do you bring your marriage license?!

Just wondering..

So, my parents have sailed RCCl for all 5 of their cruises. Have used birth certificates throughout each, we are a family of 7 and me and my brothers usually accompany them when we get home from college/military life. This last time when we boarded the Monarch, she had her birth certificate which has her last name before marriage, (her ID cards had her new last name, which they've been married for 25 years coming up). The agent made a big hassle and said that without her marriage license she might not be able to board (she got on anyways).

But, in their past 4 cruises, the same birth certificate with no marriage license worked fine. Hence, we figured nothing wrong with our usual procedure, for those that have the same situation, do you bring your marriage license?!

Just wondering..

When I used to board with my birth cert, I always brought my marriage cert. No one ever asked to see it. Now I use my passport. I did read recently though, that birth cert birthdays are matched with DL birth dates to verify that it is the same person. Doesn't seem like the best form of verification, though, does it?

A~

Just wondering..

You got an anal-retentive check-in agent who was having a bad day, I think.

The correct answer is that a government issued, picture ID had to be presented with the birth certificate. Of course, a married woman's last name will be different (in most cases). The clerk was probably a little over zealous.

But with the rapidly changing CBP rules, passports and name verification are becoming more stringent.

My guess is that they are starting to crack down more now - just a guess. It also probably depends on both the port and the agent just like everything else - you get a stickler for rules (again, happening much more often now) and you'd better have the required ID. Just like people who travel as one parent with a child - probably 9 times out of 10 they won't ask for the notarized letter from the other parent, but that one time someone does, you'd better have it or you're not getting on the ship.

Passports are getting to be an almost necessity, at some point they will be refused boarding as the Homeland Security Rules become more strict. Starting in June even names on airline tickets will have to exactly match ID's, plus if for any reason they had to fly home their re-entry into the US would be in jeopardy. :)

OK, No passport lecture. To answer the OP's question....

Sure you can continue to use your "usual Procedure" but expect to get hassled. If you don't, consider it your lucky day.

The check in agents are getting less and less patient when it comes to any documents other then passports. ;)

Recheck documents needed as new rules are going into effect June 1st that will concern cruisers and are different that what the rule is now. I don't know if what you are asking falls under the new rules but I would sure check them out ASAP.

Tucker in Texas

Passports are still NOT needed for closed loop cruises from a US port, even after June 1 only acceptable forms of ID of which a birth certificate and driver's license still work (read all the links for full list). Unfortunately the loop holes are creating more confusion and they should just make passports mandatory.

No married woman's name will match her birth certificate. Ever--unless she marries her brother!

You don't need a marriage certificate.

I have a friend who married a man who had the same last name that she was born with.

No relation; pure coincidence. :D

No married woman's name will match her birth certificate. Ever--unless she marries her brother!

If your last name was Smith or Jones, or any number of common last names, you may just marry another one with the same last name. And that partner, would likely be no relation at all.

The rules are changing rapidly and what was once true may no longer be the case. BC's and DL's are really a poor way to verify someone's idenity and the days when you can use them to re-enter the country are fast coming to an end. I wouldn't rely on the old ways anymore. As your parents found out, it can be something of a hassle. As other anal-retentive CC members have pointed out, it's time to bite the bullet and get a passport. It will make life much easier and there won't be any worries about whether they can board the ship or not.

their intentions are to get passports for their next cruises (past June 1st), I decided to exclude the part that says closed loop cruises that start and end in us ports can still use a BC and military ID.

Just thought, I would see if anyone ran into this problem and for those that could possibly run into this problem to bring your marriage license just in case (doesn't hurt either way).

Really wasn't looking for a lecture on why or why not they should have passports, just wanted an answer to the question.

Appreciate the advice

No have not had to use my marriage certificate and we have cruised 50 times (14 with RCCL). We have had passports for a long time but did not need it before that time.

Hope this helps. Have a good day.

Definitely in the 19th and first 3/4 of the 20th century, but there are professional women who choose to keep their surname. It is a choice to change our last name, not a requirement.

before we all got our passports

same thing happened to my mom .. the agent wanted her marriage license -i was with them and since my birth cert showed her married and maiden name they accepted that .. it can happen.....

(you can be married and have it match --dont need to marry your brother .. just need not to change your name)

Our daughter was asked for her marriage license when we cruised from Port Canaveral last October. She was not sailing with her husband and I believe the agent had to look up something to verify her married name. It caused a slight delay and she wasn't happy but it all worked out. I had previously sailed 4 times with my BC and DL and was never asked for my marriage license.

Archived