Cruising with the Mothers by Chesterh

NYGirl1002

I started reading the travelogue over the weekend but it seemed to end with the post named "Doogie Howser". I read some on the website but I can't seem to find the next installments. Does anyone jknow how I can find them?

Thanks in advance.

Oh I know!! I read his Midnight Buffet book so I came over to the Celebrity forum in order to find more things he wrote. I was so happy to find the Cruising with Mothers but it just ends at a critical moment and I can't find the rest of it. It's neither on these boards nor on his website. It's very strange.

Does he still post? Maybe I can PM or email him?

Hi NYGIRL - I've never heard of him, but thanks for posting as I've now gone to his site and saved it to my favourites. I love reading about people's travels and cruises.

I guess I should get back to housework - make bed, vacuum, do laundry, instead of sitting at the computer and reading..... Oh well, it has to be done. At least I don't have to rush off to the office anymore as I'm retired now.

Oh I know!! I read his Midnight Buffet book so I came over to the Celebrity forum in order to find more things he wrote. I was so happy to find the Cruising with Mothers but it just ends at a critical moment and I can't find the rest of it. It's neither on these boards nor on his website. It's very strange.

Does he still post? Maybe I can PM or email him?

I have been waiting since 2006 for the story to end..I now think it never will.

He is still here, on occasion I have seen him post. You can try, but if you get an answer let us know!

Okay then I'm not crazy!! It's not just me.

I am not going to start reading his other ones unless I'm sure that they actually have an ending.

Hi Mrs. Charmin. I'm jealous of you! Come do my housework pleeeeease. :)

I am a terrible person by nature, so it just follows that I take delight in keeping people hanging...

I was moving right along with the “Mothers” story, but everything stopped upon the death of Kris’s father, Dave. With the changes and adjustments brought about by that event, sitting down to write was simply not on the agenda.

While I was writing, I lived in fear of penning something that one mother or the other would find offensive or insensitive, and after Dave’s death, this feeling was heightened. I suppose it’s been long enough that this excuse is no longer paramount, so let me try some others:

• I was busy.
  • I was very busy.
  • I was lazy.
  • I lost my inspiration.
  • I had a headache – lots of them.
  • I couldn’t imagine taking another voyage, and didn’t want to make myself feel jealous that I used to cruise.
  • We got a new puppy (a Chinook, the newly designated State Dog of New Hampshire).
  • We started participating in dog shows, each of which runs for an entire weekend.
  • The puppy ate chapters 26 and 27 before I could post them. This was a very serious situation, because they were on my hard drive.
  • My pants were too tight.
  • I had to clean out the empty nest – an oxymoron, I know, but a huge and necessary job.
  • A more recent vacation interfered with my memories.
  • My car died.
  • Kris insisted that I have dinner ready at 7 p.m. instead of 9, cutting into my prime writing hours.
  • I got hooked on Jeopardy, Dexter, and The Food Network.
  • My spel chker malfuncshund.
  • It was too cold.
  • Son Ryan bought a house, and I had to help in various ways. Next project is the kitchen.
  • It was too hot.
  • Son Wells graduated from college, lived with us for a while, and moved to NYC (with my help).
  • It was too humid.
  • The cat wanted to go out and come in and go out and come in and go out…
  • I was given one year to gracefully shut down my employer’s business (about 3 years worth of work).
  • I completed the assignment and was unceremoniously laid off on New Year’s Eve.
  • I had to redo my website.
  • I now have to spend 8 hours a day looking for work, which is exhausting.

All of which brings us up to date. I am considering writing a blog about being unemployed, and think it’s about time I dug up my notes about the mothers cruise. I have previously pledged to finish this story, and I hereby repeat the pledge. In the meantime there are 25 chapters to read, which means the mothers tale is already longer than any of the 3 preceding stories. Two of the complete stories (meaning they not only have a beginning and end, but a substantial middle as well) are on my website, as are various other sources of entertainment.

As part of my website overhaul, I added an RSS feed. If you haven’t played with this technology yet, it’s high time you did. It allows you to subscribe to a blog or website, and receive automatic notification when something new is posted. It can be a little mysterious in the beginning, but once you “get it,” subscriptions can be started with one mouse click. Having some subscribers just might put me over the edge…

All the best,

chesterh

Christmas-dogs.jpg

Huck, the Chinook

Christmas-dogs.jpg

Thanks so much for your reply chester! You even had some entertaining excuses for not writing which made me laugh. You really have a talent for writing.

I am hoping you can get that cute little dog to regurgitate the rest of the chapters but if not, we will amuse ourselves with the other stories on your website.

Thanks again.

Hi Chester,

I'm so glad that you have the time to get all of us caught up on your life; not so happy to read why!

It appears that you have not lost your eye for detail and the ability to keep us all laughing.

Your new little guy is adorable; I can see why you are now the proud papa of 3. At least this time you got a guy and won't have to pay for 4 years of college.

I hope that Kris and the big guys are happy and enjoying their post college years.

Ok, enough of the nice crap, I need to know what happened with your eye!!!!

Hope we get to hear from you soon; you were definitely missed.

• 2 years later...

This is not a bump

I just finished reading "What Time Is The Midnight Buffet" by ChesterH. I've noticed he has not posted since 2009. His web site is still up.

Bottom line

I hope he posts here again

So glad to see you are OK. I too, am hoping to someday read the rest of the mothers" cruise summary. Good luck on the job hunting front. Maybe some freelance writing for a local paper? you certainly have the talent.

Sorry to leave y'all hanging on the "Mothers" story. The first 25 chapters of that story, plus the complete "Father/Son Cruise" and "Cruising with Teenagers" stories are still up on my website for your entertainment, though...

Unfortunately, my 2 year-old post above still describes life today. It seems that potential employers can't imagine that a 55+ hi-tech guy is even worth considering. Intermittent free-lance work and 63 cents per occasional book sale makes thoughts of cruising - past or future - pretty remote.

To put the "eye mystery" from the mothers story to rest, it was a symptom of a rather nasty little affliction called cluster headache. Many inquired at the time, but it took several months to get an accurate diagnosis. Nothing I'd wish on anyone, no matter what...

On a positive note, Kris and I are scheduled to become grandparents in July, courtesy of Ryan and his wife, Megan. Kris is wrapping up the school year, and can't wait to be Grama, Nana, Amah, Bestemore (actual title TBD).

Bon Voyage,

chesterh

Chester, it's great to hear from you. We've all missed your delightful posts. Congratulations on becoming a granddad. I'm betting you're going to be a great one!

Garry

I gotta relate that we purchased a couple of "What time is the midnight buffet?" t-shirts and wear them on every cruise we take. Ya oughta see some of the looks and hear the guffaws from staff and guests alike!

Becoming a grandpa can be OK or tiring or fun or whatever. Enjoy the time while they are young. The problems that occurred with your boys will start anew1

Jim

Chester, so glad to see you posting again. I do miss your stories. If you can't afford to cruise anymore and write about that, I would love to read some stories on being a grandad. I have 3 grandkids and they always keep me amused.:)

Pat

Hi Chester,

You have been missed. I hope your posting here helps break the cycle of unemployment. ;) One of our sons also was given the task of shutting down a business. He assisted the owner's widow in the closure. She was very generous and appreciative of his help and the support he gave her husband. He was out of work for several months and finally found another position. It was very challenging and he had to sell his house and move about 400 miles. Have you worked with any head-hunters?

In the meantime, enjoy the Grandfather moments when they come your way; it is a fabulous time.

Fingers are crossed for you!

Archived