How do I reveal the surprise of an upgraded room!?

pseudochicken

Hi all, here is just a little update with less than 72 hours til we fly out to Anchorage, Alaska:

I investigated the possibility of doing a one night stay for the family in Vancouver. I knew the problem would be changing the flight, and it seems that the flight is too big of a problem to overcome.

It is a $150 fine per person (:mad:) to change the flight (thru Expedia). I called to see if this would apply and it turns out they cannot change the itinerary this late in the game. I could try calling Continental, but I feel this would be too large of a hassle to negotiate.

So, a little tid-bit I may have left out:

This cruise also happens to land on my parents 25th anniversary. June 23rd to be exact. So what my Grandmother (who will be on this cruise as well with my cousin), my brother and I are going to see if we can make reservations at the Olympic Restaurant for the 23rd, and keep it as a surprise to everyone else.

I looked into this a while ago, but I could not make reservations for more than 6 people online (there will be 8 in our party). I will have to make reserverations while on the ship.

But I have a few questions before I do go ahead with this:

What would the standard Dining Room presentation be like if we told them about the anniversary. In their Celebrity Cruise reservation itself, we notified Celebrity that their anniversary is the 23rd.

Secondly, I am a bit worried that there will be no room in the Olympic Restaurant since we will have to wait to make reservations til we're on the ship. Is this true? Also, what do we do for the tip in the speciality restaurant? Do we tip them there or what?

--

Anyway, I am SUPER excited, as is everyone in my family. I am going start packing tonight! The only one that is approaching how excited I am is my girlfriend. You know how you can just tell when someone is extremely excited? I definitely can tell, and she doesn't know all of what is in store for her! I am just as excited to surprise her as I am for the cruise!

Thanks again for everyone's input and kind words! You have all been a big help and a huge source of inspiration. I cannot wait to try and pull it off!

Hi:)

Re:Specialty Restaurant....go see the Maitr'd after you board

the ship. Let him know what is going on...Anniversary, surprise,

etc. They are usually very helpful and as long as you do this

on the first day I would bet they will find a night and time that

will work for you and your family:):D. They are always expecting folks that day.

They don't sell out before the cruise..actually, many

times they leave spots open on purpose (when on-line won't

work anymore) because they know people will make reservations

in person.

Have a wonderful time!

Oh, no worries about those flights...nobody knew you were trying to do that, right?

And you are really a special person for doing all of this!!!:)

Since you are checking in on line, you have to option of not getting paper copies of your documents, and download them. If you didn't 'check' the paper docs, then you'll not get luggage tags in the mail. Even if you did, you don't put them on until you get to the ship, especially if you are flying.

When you get dockside, you'll fill out luggage tags yourself and she won't be the wiser.

When completing the check-in, I don't remember the SR number being an obvious thing. She may have to sign or see some of the paper, but still, there are 'ways' of not bringing it to her attention, especially since you have family with you who can help with distractions if required.

This is a great idea! I'm a lousy secret-keeper! I end up blurting things out or hinting and blowing it. I bet she'll love it.

Have a great cruise!

Denny

I agree with Denny...last time I cruised Celebrity (Dec 2008) our tags were not pre printed but I don't think the information on the tags is enough to give it away. HAVE FUN! More men should be like you! I might have my DH read this thread! Donna:)

The standard presentation in the dining room would be a cake and a gathering of waiters to sing. It's very nice.

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your family and the surprises! Will look forward to hearing all about it when you return.

I think we may just stick with that. After discussing it over with my brother, it may not be worth the struggle of keeping it a secret anyway.

Thanks for the info!

I have been reading alot of these postings out loud to my DH to see if he could finally get the hint...I like surprises...I want him to surprise me!!!!!!HEHE:D

This has been fun reading all of these and it would be neat later for her to read these.

pseudochicken...You are One in a Million!! You are definitely a "keeper" and your girlfriend has hit the jackpot with you as her boyfriend!!

I'm really excited for you and your girlfriend! She'll never ever forget this moment in time!

Please come back amd share the whole experience with us...really looking forward to hearing how your girlfriend reacts!

I'm sure when you decide to "propose" you will have another great idea in the works!!! What a Guy!

Best of Luck to you on your Surprise and pass on my Congrads to your parents for their 25th Anniversary...they should be "very proud" of You...you are a GREAT SON!!

Pat :)

Hey all!!! Thank you so so so so MUCH for all your advice, compliments and words of encouragement!!! We leave for the airport in 30 minutes!!!! I am SOOOO excited to try and pull this thing off! Wish me luck!!! If the Millennium has wireless internet access i'll let you know how it goes sooner rather than later.

Wish me luck!!!

When I get back I will definitely give a lot of details and give a detailed review of the vacation in general.

-pseudochicken

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!!!

I will give details later, as well as a full review of the cruise in general.

But... it was a ...

complete success!!!!!!!!!

She was TOTALLY surprised! I probably did not have to go through the trouble of the baggage tags. But I am glad I did just in case.

Anyhow, as I said before, expect more details later in this forum, as well as a detailed review of the cruise in a new thread. All in all cruise was good!

Cheers!

Thanks for posting your review! Sounds like you had a wonderful time, despite the small stuff. Reading about your surprise and your girlfriend's reaction made me tear up. She's very lucky to have you!

Here is the link to my review. Included are details on how the surprise went. Enjoy!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1013659

Thank you for the great review and I am glad the surprise worked out. However I would suggest the larger Celebrity ships. It seems the Mille is old we have been on the Summit and the Constellation and they were great. I find the itinerary a big difference as well. We were on a caribbean cruise on the Constellation and a TA cruise on the Summit and the ships are the same but the service and food were much better on the Summit TA crossing. We have been on the Century and the Horizon but because that was a long time ago the ships and food were excellent. However changes are in the making so our December Panama Canal on the Constellation we should show the difference.

take careicon11.gif

Claudette

• 5 months later...

I stumbled on my old review and wanted to view this again. Ha ha, thank you to ALL who contributed to helping my surprise her. We are going on another Caribbean cruise this January but there will be no big surprises this time. (... unless she has one in store for me ... *cue twighlight zone music*). :p

I definitely miss this Alaskan cruise though. Such fun... :D

Archived