Oil Barrel At $69.75

going2cruz

Its only 25 cents from Carnivals $70 kicker and will probably be over $70 by the end of the day.

I wonder how long it take for them to reinstate there fuel surcharges.

I'm so sick of the whole oil thing in general!

Oil already went over $70 last friday, so at this point it doesnt matter if it does again, it already has been over the trigger point and Carnival isnt implementing a surcharge yet.

Who knows what point Carnival will implement a surcharge.

I was on the phone with my PVP just yesterday, late afternoon, and asked about the possibility of reinstatement of the fuel charge.

She told me that she had already received an e-mail to inform the PVP's that there was no plan at this time to bring the surcharge back. She said that it appears that because the rise in oil prices is more gradual this time, it may not come about for a while, if at all.

Not sure where it will close, but as of about 5 minutes ago, NYMEX CL traded at $70.01 today (http://www.nymex.com/lsco_fut_cso.aspx). Carnival is pretty vague in their wording (does it have to CLOSE at $70, or trade once at $70?).

I have decided to just go ahead and assume another $252 for my cruise at the end of June. Darn it, that's 30+ DODs :eek:!

(d) Cruise Fare does not include fuel supplement charges. “Fuel supplement” shall mean any additional charge to defray a portion of Carnival’s fuel costs. The amount of fuel supplements and government fees and taxes collected are subject to change. Carnival reserves the right to charge a fuel supplement of up to $9.00 per person per day, without prior notice, in the event that the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) is greater than $70.00 per barrel of oil. Carnival may collect any fuel supplement in effect at the time of sailing, even if the cruise fare has been paid in full.

Since oil went over $70 on Friday too, this is two days if you are counting?

Nothing new today that it went over again as far as triggering anything.

The other thread stating that Carnival stated to its PVPs that at this time they are monitoring the situation but going to hold off implementing a fuel surcharge at this time is probably more meaningfull.

The memo yesterday was probably in reaction to oil topping $70 last Friday.

Its only 25 cents from Carnivals $70 kicker and will probably be over $70 by the end of the day.

I wonder how long it take for them to reinstate there fuel surcharges.

I'm so sick of the whole oil thing in general!

GRA392.300.jpg

It hit $70 as well last week. It has to stay there for them to implement anything. Don't worry.

69.97 NOW!!!!

Actually all it says is oil has to trade higher than $70 and Carnival had the right to implement the fuel surcharge, doesnt say it has to stay there or close there or all the other things people are posting as if they are fact.

We dont know how high oil has to trade in order to add it??

Actually all it says is oil has to trade higher than $70 and Carnival had the right to implement the fuel surcharge, doesnt say it has to stay there or close there or all the other things people are posting as if they are fact.

We dont know how high oil has to trade in order to add it??

I guess we are ASSUMING that it would have to stay above for a "reasonable" amount of time. No sense adding it on and taking it back off.... whatever, I sail in 5 days and after that I don't have a cruise planned. I just like talking oil!!! HAHAHAHAHA

Its all SUPPLY & DEMAND, folks.

Use LESS (lessen the demand)

Provide MORE (increase the supply)

Any combination of these two lowers the world price of oil.

Short of buying futures, if they so decide this time, Carnival is powerless to do anything but institute a fuel surcharge eventually. Hand-wringing has absolutely no effect. :)

I don't know about anyone else, but when I compute the cost of a cruise, I use a matrix with all the possibilities so I get a BOTTOM LINE. If I'm considering several lines or cabin categories, I have a very accurate comparison of these factors:

Cruise Rate

port fees

govt taxes

parking

air fare (if required)

automatic tips

fuel surcharge

estimated sail'n'sign tab :rolleyes:

I don't expect Carnival will install a fuel surcharge on those that are within the penalty for cancellation period. IMHO, it would do more harm PR-wise than good. :)

It takes 30 days of oil prices to be over $70.00 and then i bet unless it get over $80.00 they won't make a move. they dont want to stop future passangers from booking they don't want to raise the fare through oil prices if they can help it.

Exactly, Kelz . . . LOL . . . in the GRAND SCHEME of things a fuel surcharge doesn't seem to even cause a blip on my screen. :confused:

Exactly, I tried to point this out when the surcharges started last year and got flamed to death for it :rolleyes:

For some reason I seem to remember it saying somewhere that it had to stay above $70 for 25 days, it could be that I am losing my mind, does anyone else remember that ?

Exactly, I tried to point this out when the surcharges started last year and got flamed to death for it :rolleyes:

For some reason I seem to remember it saying somewhere that it had to stay above $70 for 25 days, it could be that I am losing my mind, does anyone else remember that ?

Only some other poster who also posted it, dont know if it was you, but no its not true.

I think they might have gotten the 25 day thing confused because last time the price had to stay below $70 for 25 trading days.

I would have remembered if there had been any such thing in the history of this whole surcharge thingee since it started.

I just read this on John Heald's Blog...

From Carnival Corporation’s Chairman and CEO, Mr. Arison:

Carnival Corporation & plc Statement on Reinstatement of Fuel Supplements

At the time we suspended fuel supplements for our six North American brands, we reserved the right to reinstate them if the price of light sweet crude oil, according to the NYMEX, should increase above $70 per barrel. While we have now exceeded that threshold, in light of the economic crisis and resulting consumer weakness, we presently have no plans to institute a fuel supplement. We will continue to monitor the situation in the markets and review our position as the situation warrants.

Archived