Dinner on Horizon Suite Verandah? In Alaska?

I hesitated quite awhile to ask this question because it is a bit over the top, but who cares?

We're heading to Alaska on the Mariner in a couple of weeks. If we want to have dinner out on the verandah of our suite one night, is there any possibility that our butler would set up one of those great heaters you see at outdoor restaurants to keep us from freezing our bootays off?

Our suite is at the aft of the ship, so I'm guessing wind won't be the issue as much as temperature. With the size of the verandah in the Horizon Suite, I can't resist the idea of at least trying for one "al fresco" dinner out there. Chances are pretty high this will be the one and only chance in our lives that we'll ever be able to sail in a suite with such a crazy big verandah.

Ok, I'm an incurable (and possibly insane) romantic. Should we just layer up under (and over) our bathrobes and give it a try? I mean, the sun will still be up, right? Long underwear (silk, of course) and champagne, earmuffs and escargot, stocking caps and steak. What do you think?

Fire away. :cool:

As you're going to be there on some of the longest days of the year, I would guess that, unless you're eating very late, the temps are probably in the upper 60's, about the same as indoors. The only caveat would be if the ship is around some glaciers, in which case it gets quite cold. But the glaciers are usually earlier in the day.

Peaches, I love your question! I hope you get to do it! Maybe if you do this the night that we are in port late, (the Juneau night?) it will be warmer since we won't be moving. Also, I bet they do have some sort of portable heater...maybe you should put in your request now! ha!

Just remember...if you are all dressed in your silk underwear and robe and hats and coat..dining on the verandah...to take a picture for some good laughs later!

Don't think they would allow one of those restaurant outdoor heaters on a cruise ship (fire hazard). However, if you can layer your clothing, there is no reason you cannot dine on your balcony.

Go for it and enjoy!

I hesitated quite awhile to ask this question because it is a bit over the top, but who cares?

We're heading to Alaska on the Mariner in a couple of weeks. If we want to have dinner out on the verandah of our suite one night, is there any possibility that our butler would set up one of those great heaters you see at outdoor restaurants to keep us from freezing our bootays off?

Our suite is at the aft of the ship, so I'm guessing wind won't be the issue as much as temperature. With the size of the verandah in the Horizon Suite, I can't resist the idea of at least trying for one "al fresco" dinner out there. Chances are pretty high this will be the one and only chance in our lives that we'll ever be able to sail in a suite with such a crazy big verandah.

Ok, I'm an incurable (and possibly insane) romantic. Should we just layer up under (and over) our bathrobes and give it a try? I mean, the sun will still be up, right? Long underwear (silk, of course) and champagne, earmuffs and escargot, stocking caps and steak. What do you think?

Fire away. :cool:

Peaches,

You should write romance novels. I agree with fab fam take some pictures. Something to tell your grandchildren about. Eating on a balcony in your bathrobe in Alaska. :D Life's short enjoy today.

You might not need any form of heat. Sunset is very late, and when we were up there 2 weeks ago, it was sunny and the Horizon deck got full sun at the end of the day.

We had a center Horizon suite with no one on either side of us, and in full sunshine.... well, we found a lovely spot for very private sunbathing, if you know what I mean. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement, everybody. We'll just pile on the layers if it gets too chilly.

FabFam, that's a great idea for the Juneau night. We have the Tracy Arm Excursion, as well as evening whale watching, so we'll be wiped out and dinner in our suite might be just the thing for that particular night.

Linda, we also have a center suite, so there is privacy from the side, and it's on deck 9, so I'm told folks from the lounge upstairs can't easily see onto our verandah. :eek:

Here's hoping for warm days at sea AND tolerable evenings, temperature wise. Dialing room service . . . .

Linda, we also have a center suite, so there is privacy from the side, and it's on deck 9, so I'm told folks from the lounge upstairs can't easily see onto our verandah. :eek:

No, not if you stay toward the back, near the wall. However, people can put their heads around the side if they're next to you - it's not totally private. ;)

Peaches,

We were in the same Horizon Suite (992) last November and, unfortunately, there is no privacy from the side. Except under the overhang from deck 10, there is only a partial divider separating the Horizon Suites on deck 9. Incidentally, there are normally cushions on the chairs and loungers. They had been removed because of rain.

2944265300101716102S600x600Q85.jpg

2295795960101716102S600x600Q85.jpg

Dave

Incidentally, there are normally cushions on the chairs and loungers. They had been removed because of rain.

Ours were taken in, but they were there in the suite so we could put them out easily. If it's so rainy they're not even in your suite, nekkid sunbathing is a moot point anyway.

I wouldn't have done it if the suites next to us had been occupied, but with them both empty, we had all the privacy in the world.

Thanks for posting those pics, Dave. It's great to see photos of "our" actual balcony.

Re: privacy, we don't mind that it's not totally private. We're really just wanting the outdoor dining opportunity---not really into sunbathing, whether it's Alaska or the Caribbean! :) Thanks again, everybody.

We are in Horizon Suite 8103 for Alaska on August 19. Are the suites on the 8 floor not cover either? Or does anyone know?

Kandy from Texas

If you are asking if the balcony furniture has cushions on chairs and loungers the answer is yes.. In rainy weather they are taken inside to avoid them getting soaked.

Archived