OMG! Valid ID help!!

white.sand

My husband has our old address on his Drivers License.:rolleyes: We are doing a closed loop Western Carribean cruise on the Carnival Conquest. We do not have pass ports and plan to use our BC and Drivers License as ID. What will happen if his DL address is different than the address we put on our booking info.

FYI...my DL has our new address.

If you're really concerned you can always make him to to the DMV and get a corrected license. Aren't you supposed to do that anyway? :p

ha ha! Yes, you are "suppose" to do that! He just hasn't gotten around to it yet.;) LOL!

No one will know or care that your husband has multiple homes. :)

For ID purposes, an address doesn't mean squat. As long as the name on the ID and the name on the booking are the same, there's no problem.

Thanks! Good to know.

If you received a state based discount and changed states, it could cause a problem with the discount.

The house address doesn't matter with the driver's license, only that the driver's license was issued from the same state as you've taken the discount for. So if the OP just changed houses in the same state, the address doesn't matter.

Another issue not addressed is what happens when the name on the state issued BC (or notarized copy) is not the same as the one on the state issued DL. Married women and adopted can have a problem. They could ask to see your marriage license (not a copy) or court papers changing your name. It has been done although not often. To be safe you need your marriage license or court papers or face explaining to a skeptical immigration officer why the names are not the same. The name on the BC needs to match exactly the name on the DL.

Be aware that in order to board an airline destined for the USA, you must have a valid passport. There are no exceptions. Don't miss your ship or require medical attention while out of the country.

My husband has our old address on his Drivers License.:rolleyes: We are doing a closed loop Western Carribean cruise on the Carnival Conquest. We do not have pass ports and plan to use our BC and Drivers License as ID. What will happen if his DL address is different than the address we put on our booking info.

FYI...my DL has our new address.

This just off the state dept web site I would check

Effective June 1, 2009, all U.S. citizens are now required to present a passport book, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document when entering the United States.

Please Note: Children under age 16 will be able to continue crossing land and sea borders using only a U.S. birth certificate (or other form of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate.). The original birth certificate or a copy may be used. See the Department of Homeland Security's Ready, Set.. Go! for more information on the changing travel requirements.

Note: Cruise Ship Passengers: U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

I totally agree. Just get a passport.

As a crewmember, i was required to have a passport. It's real easy to get one and they're good for 10 years.

That way you only have to carry one travel doc, instead of two. And you get bragging rights to all of your friends/family who don't have passports. :)

Why don't you have a passport?

That would be the modern up-to-date thing to have. :cool:

Some things are just so simple for some people! We have never been out of the country before and may never go again or at least it may be a long time before we are able to go again. :( We have just been blessed with this trip and didn't feel like we should spend the money on passports at this time. Not to mention this was kind of a last minute, spur of the moment, possible once in a long time opportunity.

I wish things were more simple for us but for now we just go with the flow!:D Hopefully one day we will get passports and the opportunity to travel abroad more often. That would be amazing!:)

Some things are just so simple for some people! We have never been out of the country before and may never go again or at least it may be a long time before we are able to go again. :( We have just been blessed with this trip and didn't feel like we should spend the money on passports at this time. Not to mention this was kind of a last minute, spur of the moment, possible once in a long time opportunity.

I wish things were more simple for us but for now we just go with the flow!:D Hopefully one day we will get passports and the opportunity to travel abroad more often. That would be amazing!:)

Don't worry about it! We are doing the same thing. When we went on our last cruise (honeymoon) I had a passport but DH didn't b/c he had just gotten home from Iraq 3 weeks earlier so it wasn't a possibility. This time we weren't thinking we would get to cruise before he deploys again but just got some leave time and decided we would. He still doesn't have a passport and mine hasn't been updated with my married name (I was slack and didn't get it sent it within the first year) and I didn't want to spend $300 on fees and expediting!

Just go and have a great time- Address on the driver's license won't be a problem.

Don't worry about it! We are doing the same thing. When we went on our last cruise (honeymoon) I had a passport but DH didn't b/c he had just gotten home from Iraq 3 weeks earlier so it wasn't a possibility. This time we weren't thinking we would get to cruise before he deploys again but just got some leave time and decided we would. He still doesn't have a passport and mine hasn't been updated with my married name (I was slack and didn't get it sent it within the first year) and I didn't want to spend $300 on fees and expediting!

Just go and have a great time- Address on the driver's license won't be a problem.

If your are planning on using your passport instead of a bc, it MUST match your travel documents- airline tickets and cruise docs.

Just want to stress the fact that you REALLY need a passport. Drivers' Licenses' Birith Certificates, etc. are no longer valid for international travel effective June 1st. If you pay for an expedited Passport, you can obtain one rather quickly!

Except on closed loop cruises, passports are NOT required:

www.getyouhome.gov

We are booked on Dec 09 cruise and we are planning to get our passports soon...just haven't goten around to it. I know we do NOT need them yet, because it is a closed loop cruise, but when we get to the ports of call, do we have to take our passports with us when we get off the ship? If so, what do people do with them when at the beach, or cave tubing or any other shore excursion where water might be involved?

www.getyouhome.gov

Of course, you are correct. However, as noted either on this thread or a similiar one, if anything happens and you need to be flown home, you would then be on foreign soil trying to board an aircraft. IMO, getting a passport is not a big deal -- the best form of I.D. you can have, and it insures that you could get home in case of emergency (not only ship emergency or if you are not well. . . . there could be an emergency at home).

www.getyouhome.gov

Add closed loop cruises to Mexico and the Caribbean that start and end in the same USA port only.

Of course, you are correct. However, as noted either on this thread or a similiar one, if anything happens and you need to be flown home, you would then be on foreign soil trying to board an aircraft. IMO, getting a passport is not a big deal -- the best form of I.D. you can have, and it insures that you could get home in case of emergency (not only ship emergency or if you are not well. . . . there could be an emergency at home).

It never ceases to amaze me the number of pax that will pay thousands of dollars to sail including onboard purchases and then refuse to pay the $100 for a passport that is good for 10 years. The other amazing comment is those who leave their passports secure in the stateroom safe and carry a photocopy to show. I am sure that with a photocopy of your passport you can buy an airline ticket home or show it to the local authority who insists on seeing your passport. They will be so pleased!

If you're really concerned you can always make him to to the DMV and get a corrected license. Aren't you supposed to do that anyway? :p

Our state allows us to make an address update in the system without having to buy an updated license copy.

We are booked on Dec 09 cruise and we are planning to get our passports soon...just haven't goten around to it. I know we do NOT need them yet, because it is a closed loop cruise, but when we get to the ports of call, do we have to take our passports with us when we get off the ship? If so, what do people do with them when at the beach, or cave tubing or any other shore excursion where water might be involved?

So...to directly answer your question - no you don't HAVE to take them with you, but it's a good idea to bring them along. You can get a water wallet at a dive shop to protect them from water damage. If something happens on your excursion that causes you to miss the ship (you're running late, or worse, someone in your party is injured and you must stay behind), you'll be glad you had your passports with you. You'd be required to have them in order to fly home.

Likewise, don't go for the passport card, go for the full passport book. The card doesn't work for flights. It's only for land and sea-based re-entries.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived