Con artist porters at Port Canaveral asking "Would you like to make a donation?"

We have sailed out of PC 3 times. Yes, the signs are there, but it's understood that you tip the porters. But, we never had a porter say anything about a donation or anything to us. The porters have union jobs and are paid well and the porter part is only one portion of their responsibilities, and this is not the only port that it's expected. There was a thread a while back, on Carnival's board, about Miami and basically the extortion methods used to get tips. Apparently inferences in some ports are that you might not see your luggage onboard, etc if you don't tip. We've never had a problem and actually in San Diego because we checked in at the convention center and all luggage was loaded onto trucks (not by porters-Princess apparently hired people to do it) and driven to the ship, we didn't tip. In New York, the porters were very nice and appreciative, so it does vary.

Signs like those are put up to remind the "boobs" among us that people who handle your luggage should be tipped.

Like other "rules" and "guidelines" this would be unnecessary if folks merely followed the social courtesies when they are in public.

Signs like those are put up to remind the "boobs" among us that people who handle your luggage should be tipped.

Like other "rules" and "guidelines" this would be unnecessary if folks merely followed the social courtesies when they are in public.

What??? They put up signs saying NO tipping because they want to remind people to tip???? :confused:

Now I'm really confused. LOL

No, porters should NOT be tipped in U.S. ports. They earn good wages to handle your luggage; they are not receiving a discounted salary with the expectation that it will be subsidized by tips. Many are earning six figures plus without a dime in tips! People definitely should tip people in the service industry who receive a low wage such as waiters and room stewards, but it is insane to tip highly paid people for doing their normal, expected job duties. It is the equivalent of tipping your dentist. Sure they provide a service, but they are paid well to do that service. Sadly so many people falsely believe that they are supposed to tip the porters (despite signs saying that it is not necessary at many U.S. ports) that some greedy porters have come to expect tips and resort to manipulative behavior to elicit tips. This has got to stop.

In many parts of the world tipping is not part of the culture. That does not mean the person is a "boob" for not knowing. Here in Trinidad a boob is a womans breast. See what I mean about different cultures.

If you feel the way I do, my response would be "I'm sorry but I don't feel unions are good for the economy right now, so I must decline donating." This would keep it from being personal toward the porter and I would rather lose my bags than pay extorsion money.

OMG I'm so confused! :confused:

I could not even imagine NOT tipping the porters when I sail out of port Canaveral in a few months. I am planning on having EXTRA luggage with me because I am bringing used shoes to Jamaica to donate (we are flying southwest and can have up to 2 bags per person free so I will use all 6 of the bag allowance I have)

How can I not tip the poor guy who has to load our 6 bags onto the ship, 2 bags which will be filled with used shoes....? :( :confused:

I could not even imagine NOT tipping the porters when I sail out of port Canaveral in a few months. I am planning on having EXTRA luggage with me because I am bringing used shoes to Jamaica to donate (we are flying southwest and can have up to 2 bags per person free so I will use all 6 of the bag allowance I have)

How can I not tip the poor guy who has to load our 6 bags onto the ship, 2 bags which will be filled with used shoes....? :( :confused:

Off topic but it is so very nice of you to be helping the less fortunate in Jamaica at this time. I am a firm believer that deeds like this are often payed back 10 times so you can keep doing good. May god bless you for you kindness.

Hi

Im cruising from Miami in September, does the same rules apply there?

I would be scared my bags dont make it on board.

Do we need to use a porter? Can we just carry out bags to where they get boarded onto the ship?

We have sailed from FLL and New Orleans and im sure we tipped there.

:confused::confused:

Off topic but it is so very nice of you to be helping the less fortunate in Jamaica at this time. I am a firm believer that deeds like this are often payed back 10 times so you can keep doing good. May god bless you for you kindness.

Thanks. The idea just came to me last week. I have a few pairs of sneakers that I am ready to toss but they are still very use able. I recalled that shoes are coveted in the Caribbean because all of them are imported and, thus, expensive. One and one added up to two and then I realized that Southwest has no baggage fees. If we were not flying southwest I would not be doing it because of the baggage fees.

I'm planning on asking for donations from co workers and neighbors and have already asked the tour guide if this was a good idea and she said that she knew people who could use the shoes.

I have 2 of those collapsible RCCL totes so we are going to fill those. I might even switch to garbage bags if we get enough shoes. I'm thinking that I would have to double or triple "bag" the shoes if we switched to garbage bags....

I mistakenly posted this on the other thread, but I can't imagine not tipping at any port. At Pt Canaveral we have had the porter take all our luggage to our car in the parking garage. That makes it so much easier than wheeling the suitcases, carryons etc.

We also tip when boarding and our luggage seems to get there quite early. I have seen luggage sitting in the carts for a very long time and I personally think it's because those people didn't tip. I have nothing to back up my theory, but that's how I feel. YMMV.

Because he is getting paid a large salary to do this for you - that is his job! Would you tip your dentist at your six-month-cleaning appointment if your teeth were dirtier than normal? They are getting paid a large salary (many of them also receive time-and-a-half while serving as porters) and have great benefits. They are not working for tips. Their employer does not reduce their salary with the expectation they are going to be tipped. Unless you tip your doctor, the cashier at the grocery store, your mayor, etc. there is no reason to tip the porters. Tipping them is simply a waste of your money and it contributes to some of the porters expecting to be tipped and subsequently manipulating people into tipping them.

I mistakenly posted this on the other thread, but I can't imagine not tipping at any port. At Pt Canaveral we have had the porter take all our luggage to our car in the parking garage. That makes it so much easier than wheeling the suitcases, carryons etc.

We also tip when boarding and our luggage seems to get there quite early. I have seen luggage sitting in the carts for a very long time and I personally think it's because those people didn't tip. I have nothing to back up my theory, but that's how I feel. YMMV.

Tipping does not cause your luggage to arrive faster. The porters simply get the luggage to the ship. It is ship staff (who have no idea and do not care if you tipped the porters) who sort the luggage and deliver it outside your stateroom.

As for your other post, there are multiple sings outside Port of Miami saying that you do not need to tip the porters.

Because he is getting paid a large salary to do this for you - that is his job! Would you tip your dentist at your six-month-cleaning appointment if your teeth were dirtier than normal? They are getting paid a large salary (many of them also receive time-and-a-half while serving as porters) and have great benefits. They are not working for tips. Their employer does not reduce their salary with the expectation they are going to be tipped. Unless you tip your doctor, the cashier at the grocery store, your mayor, etc. there is no reason to tip the porters. Tipping them is simply a waste of your money and it contributes to some of the porters expecting to be tipped and subsequently manipulating people into tipping them.

You have said this a few times and I am curious

(read curious not challenging)

how you know that they are getting paid a large salary?

I have no clue what they make as a salary. You seem to be confidently stating something as a fact. How do you come by this fact?

You have said this a few times and I am curious

(read curious not challenging)

how you know that they are getting paid a large salary?

I have no clue what they make as a salary. You seem to be confidently stating something as a fact. How do you come by this fact?

Yes it is a fact. The porters at U.S. ports are longshoreman. Google them and you will see they earn very nice salaries. I am 100% in favor of tipping people in the service industry who have a low base salary with the expectation of receiving tips (i.e. waiters) and tip them generously. I do not understand why some people feel the need to tip people who are paid a full salary and are simply carrying out the duties for which they are being paid to do.

Whether the men and women porters are union or not is not the point. If they make what some people on here to be considered a lot of money on thier salary is not the point. The point is, if you do not feel compelled to tip, then the signs clearly state you do not have to. Whether they make $5.00 an hour or $50.00 an hour shouldnt matter. Whether they went the extra mile should.

I think it's a matter of preference. I know the man walking out w/me from the grocery store is getting a regular hourly paycheck, but when he pushes a cart full of groceries to my car and helps me load it up, I give a tip. My grocery store has a sign saying that tipping is not necessary, but I want to further extend my appreciation. I don't think anyone should be faulted either way. Happy cruising everyone!

Yes it is a fact. The porters at U.S. ports are longshoreman. Google them and you will see they earn very nice salaries. I am 100% in favor of tipping people in the service industry who have a low base salary with the expectation of receiving tips (i.e. waiters) and tip them generously. I do not understand why some people feel the need to tip people who are paid a full salary and are simply carrying out the duties for which they are being paid to do.

Having known many longshoremen this is the first I have heard of this kind of work for them. I gotta believe that some of the guys I have known would have gotten onto these teats long ago...Are you sure the porters are the union jobs you refer to ?(and I do agree those are VERY high paying jobs for the skill sets required)

Uh' date=' are you posting this blindly, or did you even read the link? The signs say "Do [b']not[/b] tip the porters."

Tipping does not cause your luggage to arrive faster. The porters simply get the luggage to the ship.

Heck, they don't even do that much. The guys at the curb just cart the luggage back to the holding room. From there, it's other people who scan it and deliver it to the ship.

Whether the men and women porters are union or not is not the point. If they make what some people on here to be considered a lot of money on thier salary is not the point. The point is, if you do not feel compelled to tip, then the signs clearly state you do not have to. Whether they make $5.00 an hour or $50.00 an hour shouldnt matter. Whether they went the extra mile should.

It totally does make a difference. Why is that that so many people feel compelled to tip the porters "because they provide a service" but don't tip their doctor or dentist. They provide a service as well. Whether or not somebody earns a good salary is 100% relevant in terms of whether or not to tip. I could understand someone tipping their porter if they do something special for them separate from their customary job, but not for loading their suitcase onto a nearby cart and pushing the cart. This does not warrant a tip when you consider they are already being paid generously for this task by their employer.

Uh, I don't think so! These porters are very well paid. We are talking 6 figures plus. The signs are there to tell you NOT to tip due to the fact that these porters do not "work" for or "live" off of their tips!

It totally does make a difference. Why is that that so many people feel compelled to tip the porters "because they provide a service" but don't tip their doctor or dentist. They provide a service as well. Whether or not somebody earns a good salary is 100% relevant in terms of whether or not to tip. I could understand someone tipping their porter if they do something special for them separate from their customary job, but not for loading their suitcase onto a nearby cart and pushing the cart. This does not warrant a tip when you consider they are already being paid generously for this task by their employer.

Well, I don't "tip" my dentist and doctor in the usual sense, but I do give them both a pretty nice bonus at the end of the year to thank them for their work and dedicated care. I did the same for our doormen when I used to live in a condo. The boy who used to cut our lawn for 3 years and was paid very well graduated college this past spring and was leaving to go to grad school. So my boyfriend and I bought him a new car as an added bonus because we were greatly appreciative of all the work he did for us. With all that said, none of this was required or requested of me but I was taught to reward hard work regardless of position or salary, especially when they are providing a service for me personally.

So with this said, I will continue to tip the porters regardless if they are making $100k or $20k a year, because I am grateful for the job they do in making sure my bags get on board safely. It might not be expected nor required, but I feel it's the right thing to do.

How? Because they are already getting paid 6 plus figures WITHOUT tips to load your bags. That is how. Porters rank among the highest in the income bracket in the USA! Now do you ask How? I wouldn't!

Archived