Con artist porters at Port Canaveral asking "Would you like to make a donation?"

How? Because they are already getting paid 6 plus figures WITHOUT tips to load your bags. That is how. Porters rank among the highest in the income bracket in the USA! Now do you ask How? I wouldn't!

Living near the port, I would be shocked if any of these stevedores make 6 figures. I know where some of them live and no one in that area makes 6 figures. I looked at the International Longshoremen's Union website and there is no local in our area. Maybe they are not organized here since it is mostly cruise ships with an occasional cargo vessel.

How? Because they are already getting paid 6 plus figures WITHOUT tips to load your bags. That is how. Porters rank among the highest in the income bracket in the USA! Now do you ask How? I wouldn't!

You're Gonzo70

Just to be clear, are we talking about the people (whatever you want to call them) who take my luggage from my car, load it in a cart, then push the cart to a back room?

Sorry, but if these are the people we are talking about, I'm going to have to see some proof that they make 6 figure salaries in order for me to believe it.

Just to be clear, are we talking about the people (whatever you want to call them) who take my luggage from my car, load it in a cart, then push the cart to a back room?

Sorry, but if these are the people we are talking about, I'm going to have to see some proof that they make 6 figure salaries in order for me to believe it.

seriously. I'll quit my day job to become a porter.

No, porters should NOT be tipped in U.S. ports. They earn good wages to handle your luggage; they are not receiving a discounted salary with the expectation that it will be subsidized by tips. Many are earning six figures plus without a dime in tips! People definitely should tip people in the service industry who receive a low wage such as waiters and room stewards, but it is insane to tip highly paid people for doing their normal, expected job duties. It is the equivalent of tipping your dentist. Sure they provide a service, but they are paid well to do that service. Sadly so many people falsely believe that they are supposed to tip the porters (despite signs saying that it is not necessary at many U.S. ports) that some greedy porters have come to expect tips and resort to manipulative behavior to elicit tips. This has got to stop.

So, I suppose you don't tip the curbside skycaps at the airport either? And your baggage has never been lost? ;)

So, I suppose you don't tip the curbside skycaps at the airport either? And your baggage has never been lost? ;)

I travel quite a bit and (knock on wood) have never had a lost bag.

I completely agree.

Wow! I completely missed the signs last week when we were in Port Canaveral! I must have been on a mission to get on the ship;)!

I tipped the porter who took all 6 suitcases out of the car and the porter who brought our bags all the way to our car in the parking garage!:eek:

Having known many longshoremen this is the first I have heard of this kind of work for them. I gotta believe that some of the guys I have known would have gotten onto these teats long ago...Are you sure the porters are the union jobs you refer to ?(and I do agree those are VERY high paying jobs for the skill sets required)

I'm sure that they are in the Port of Los Angeles. I tip them anyway because I'm a boob.:rolleyes::D

Some in this thread seem to believe what somebody makes makes a difference. If thats the case, put your own luggage on the ship and don't be concerned with what someone makes. Before you tip in the future should you ask... Are you a member of a union? Do you make over 100K per year? Are you getting time and a half? Did you vote Democtrat or Republican? Are you Catholic or protestant? Are you right handed?

How petty and pathetic people can become over 5 bucks!!

It totally does make a difference. Why is that that so many people feel compelled to tip the porters "because they provide a service" but don't tip their doctor or dentist. They provide a service as well. Whether or not somebody earns a good salary is 100% relevant in terms of whether or not to tip. I could understand someone tipping their porter if they do something special for them separate from their customary job, but not for loading their suitcase onto a nearby cart and pushing the cart. This does not warrant a tip when you consider they are already being paid generously for this task by their employer.

So, by your point of view, I shouldn't tip as well in a 5 star hotel, as the employees there are better compensated than in a 3 star hotel?

No, porters should NOT be tipped in U.S. ports. They earn good wages to handle your luggage; they are not receiving a discounted salary with the expectation that it will be subsidized by tips. Many are earning six figures plus without a dime in tips! People definitely should tip people in the service industry who receive a low wage such as waiters and room stewards, but it is insane to tip highly paid people for doing their normal, expected job duties. It is the equivalent of tipping your dentist. Sure they provide a service, but they are paid well to do that service. Sadly so many people falsely believe that they are supposed to tip the porters (despite signs saying that it is not necessary at many U.S. ports) that some greedy porters have come to expect tips and resort to manipulative behavior to elicit tips. This has got to stop.

I have always tipped the porters and I do not intend to stop. I want to find my luggage on the ship! :D

Seriously, To each his own.

I tip and I will continue to do so and no one is going to tell me, "This has got to stop".:rolleyes:

Some in this thread seem to believe what somebody makes makes a difference. If thats the case, put your own luggage on the ship and don't be concerned with what someone makes. Before you tip in the future should you ask... Are you a member of a union? Do you make over 100K per year? Are you getting time and a half? Did you vote Democtrat or Republican? Are you Catholic or protestant? Are you right handed?

Well said and right to the point. ;)

Sure they provide a service, but they are paid well to do that service. Sadly so many people falsely believe that they are supposed to tip the porters (despite signs saying that it is not necessary at many U.S. ports) that some greedy porters have come to expect tips and resort to manipulative behavior to elicit tips. This has got to stop.

Really?

I will always tip a porter to insure that my luggage arrives safely to my cabin. I really couldn't care less how much they make. They are preforming a service and I think a small compensation is not out of the question. I usually tip $1 to $2 per bag, depending on the size and weight.

Regardless of how you feel,

It's the right thing to do.

It absolutely makes a difference. If someone has a decreased salary because their pay is expected to be supplemented with tips it is extremely important to tip them (assuming they do not provide poor service). People who earn good salaries in service industries are not expected to receive tips. I think you are being facetious and know that it would be rude to ask someone their salary. However it is prudent to become knowledgeable prior to a trip about who you should tip. Fortunately their are signs around most U.S. ports informing people that they need not tip the porters. And what do you mean by "petty and pathetic" about "five bucks?" Are you insulting people who do not tip people when there are signs abound saying they do not need to be tipped? That is pretty rude and insulting. I would not insult you if you opted not to tip the chef at a restaurant where you dined.

So, by your point of view, I shouldn't tip as well in a 5 star hotel, as the employees there are better compensated than in a 3 star hotel?

No, that is not my logic at all. I would not tip the chef at a restaurant would be more my logic. Sounds like some people on this thread would and would insult people who would opt not to tip the chef, the owner of the restaurant, the construction workers who built the restaurant and an assorted host of others. I would tip my waiter 15%-20% regardless of the star level of the restaurant aside from very rare occasions where the service was poor - or more commonly a bit over 20% when the service was excellent.

Really?

I will always tip a porter to insure that my luggage arrives safely to my cabin. I really couldn't care less how much they make. They are preforming a service and I think a small compensation is not out of the question. I usually tip $1 to $2 per bag, depending on the size and weight.

Regardless of how you feel,

It's the right thing to do.

No it is not the right to do. Do you tip your dentist $1 to $2 per tooth depending on it's cleanliness? They are performing a service. Do you tip the chef when you eat out $5 to $10 depending on the size of your order? They are performing a service. Do you tip a bus driver on a city public transportation bus $1 to $3 depending on the number of miles you ride? They too are providing a service. My guess is you do not - because they are receiving a full salary to perform this service! Same as the porters. I guess maybe you are too busy blaming your steward from stealing your money and sharing soda cards with other members of you party (both as per your other posts) to realize this.

Do you tip your dentist $1 to $2 per tooth depending on it's cleanliness?

This may be the lamest argument I've ever read. No, I don't tip per tooth, but I'm paying a good chunk of change out of pocket to get my teeth cleaned. Not one cent of my money, other than my tip, is personally paid by me to the porter who takes my bags out of my trunk, puts luggage tags on them, and then throws them on the cart.

What's the big deal, tip $1 or $2 to the porter. Not sure where you are getting your six figure salary from, but if someone is willing to lift my luggage for me, I'm more than happy to tip.

This may be the lamest argument I've ever read. No, I don't tip per tooth, but I'm paying a good chunk of change out of pocket to get my teeth cleaned. Not one cent of my money, other than my tip, is personally paid by me to the porter who takes my bags out of my trunk, puts luggage tags on them, and then throws them on the cart.

What's the big deal, tip $1 or $2 to the porter. Not sure where you are getting your six figure salary from, but if someone is willing to lift my luggage for me, I'm more than happy to tip.

Actually your argument is far more lame. Just as you are paying the dentist "a good chunk of change" to work on your teeth, the porters' employer is paying them a good chunk of change to lift your luggage onto a cart and wheel your luggage to the ship.

There is no big deal about $1 or $2. I simply do not tip people who should not be tipped. If you want to tip every single person who provides a service to you - go ahead. But if you truly did this you would be tipping thousands of dollars per month. If you tip the porters because did something for you and you did not directly pay them, then you have many, many people you need to tip: Chefs at restaurants, dishwashers at restaurants, people who remove you luggage off the airplane and place it on the baggage carousel, all the politicians that represent you, the pilot of your plane, the captain on your cruise ship and the list would go on and on and on.

Very interesting thread from someone from the UK where we do not have such a big tipping culture as in the US. Yes, we tip in restuarants and cab drivers, but that's about it.

So when we visit the US we are always concerned that for many other services we are expected to tip (the guys that get you a cab outside a hotel, bar staff, pool attendants, porters etc) or are we tipping people we shouldn't? For a foreign visitor to the US it's hard to know all the facts about those employed in union jobs as referred to on this thread.

I've sailed out of Port Canaveral and never seen these signs posters refer to.

In order not to appear rude (as it's fairly obvious we don't live in the US), we tip the porters and expect will continue to do so.

I think gonzo and the others in the no tipping camp are simply trying to wooo over the others so they won't be in the minority. I will continue tipping the porters because I think it is the right thing to do. My buddy is checking to see if they are union jobs (he thinks they aren't and if they are he will be on it). Maybe I can get one too!

Archived