Con artist porters at Port Canaveral asking "Would you like to make a donation?"

Florida is a "right to work" state meaning you do not have to be a union member to be hired. I am pro union myself but it seems as always the ones who have the money seem are less apt to tip then those who don't tip more. And unions don't always tell the truth about things. Some will lie to scare people into beleiving that only union workers can do a job and no one else should be allowed to it.

No, porters should NOT be tipped in U.S. ports. They earn good wages to handle your luggage; they are not receiving a discounted salary with the expectation that it will be subsidized by tips. Many are earning six figures plus without a dime in tips! People definitely should tip people in the service industry who receive a low wage such as waiters and room stewards, but it is insane to tip highly paid people for doing their normal, expected job duties. It is the equivalent of tipping your dentist. Sure they provide a service, but they are paid well to do that service. Sadly so many people falsely believe that they are supposed to tip the porters (despite signs saying that it is not necessary at many U.S. ports) that some greedy porters have come to expect tips and resort to manipulative behavior to elicit tips. This has got to stop.

Sorry, I am fairly certain you are wrong on this. I have heard from many people they are Longshoremen and there are articles to support this such as:

http://www.porteverglades.net/articles/index.cfm?action=view&articleID=674&menuID=998

Edit: OK, I just found an insightful article that states that: "Another plus for Port Everglades: The stevedoring work force is a combination of the International Association of Longshoremen, Teamsters and nonunion workers, which ''allows shipping lines to have a choice,'' Buqueras said." Here is the full article: http://www.fitpev.com/uploads/Port%20Everglades%20steams%20ahead.htm

So it looks like people on both sides on this issue were partially right and partially wrong. Some of the porters are highly paid Longshoremen and Teamsters, but there are non-union porters mixed in (who one can presume likely earn far less). So I guess the signs are up stating that one does not need to tip because they all are making a living wage - but since it does appear some are not being paid all that much, if one wants to tip, one should.

What I think everybody can agree on is that bullying by the porters into tipping or tipping more should not be tolerated.

Your most recent post addresses Port Everglades, do you stand by your first post on other ports in the US?

Florida is a "right to work" state meaning you do not have to be a union member to be hired. I am pro union myself but it seems as always the ones who have the money seem are less apt to tip then those who don't tip more. And unions don't always tell the truth about things. Some will lie to scare people into beleiving that only union workers can do a job and no one else should be allowed to it.

Truer words have never been spoken.....if you believed the unions it takes a highly paid and highly trained union employee to pick up my suitcase and swing it around 2 feet and put it in the cart. (plus a dollar or 2 tip per bag to do this) Then another seperately trained union employee to push said cart 100 yards leave it for loading onto the ship.....:rolleyes:

Your most recent post addresses Port Everglades, do you stand by your first post on other ports in the US?

It looks like this applies to ports in Florida. I would think in some states the unions have more juice and the porters are 100% unionized employees. I am not certain on this though. Perhaps somebody knows for sure.

It looks like this applies to ports in Florida. I would think in some states the unions have more juice and the porters are 100% unionized employees. I am not certain on this though. Perhaps somebody knows for sure.

To be honest, we've sailed out of Port Canaveral, Miami and Port Everglades, and Port Everglades is far and away the worst. Interestingly, in our opinion, the porters there are the laziest and the most pushy. We went on the Independence last November and the bags we checked at noon were still sitting on the sidewalk when the muster was called at 4:30. Miami is an entire different experience and I can't recall anything negative about P Canaveral. Still, we tip as a few bucks factored into the whole cruise cost is pennies.

Regarding other states, does anyone really know what these guys make? Again, a few bucks tip isn't going to put anyone over their budget while cruising.

A right to work state only means they do not have to strike if the union calls for them to do so. If the job is a union job, you are automatically in the union when you are hired.

Now, with that being said, Carnival's site states somthing like $1-$2 per bag is customary, so I have no problem tipping this when it is my choice, especailly if they brought the luggage all the way from the parking garage. So far the only help I have ever gotten was to pick it up and put it in the bin after I brought it to the bin. At this point I prefer to do it myself.

It is also a different matter when the signs say not to tip and I am pressured to "donate". They would only get a donation if I felt they deserved it.

This thread has outlived it's usefulness, so I'm unsubscribing. Wanted to see more discussion on the, what I see as tacky and not a little bit menacing, practice of rogue porters asking directly for "donations." But it's turned into a "tip or not tip" debate.

Thanks for those who participated. May check back in a month or two. Have fun and be nice to each other. :-)

Average salary for longshoremen in U.S.: http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Longshoreman/Salary

So as can seen by these numbers, if the porter is indeed a longshoremen you likely would be tipping someone who earns over $100,000 per year in salary.

Exactly right....wheather they are acting as porters, loaders, steveadores or whatever else the particular job might be they are all longshoreman and making very good union wages and DO NOT rate a tip..period....and for the guy who has 3 jobs and is a longshoreman..he MUST be only part time or on call waiting to be fully brought into the union as a full time worker..

Exactly right....wheather they are acting as porters, loaders, steveadores or whatever else the particular job might be they are all longshoreman and making very good union wages and DO NOT rate a tip..period....and for the guy who has 3 jobs and is a longshoreman..he MUST be only part time or on call waiting to be fully brought into the union as a full time worker..

Wow! That's outrageous! I guess I always assumed they were like luggage porters in hotels and balance their pay with tips. This is a salary that doesn't depend on tips as far as I'm concerned. They are being paid a fair and good wage to lift, handle and move luggage on the ports without being dependent on the addition of tips.

I must say I find it hard to believe that the person that works in the Florida port that has 3 other jobs and was assumed to not be paid well isn't- Perhaps it was second hand info? I lived in Miami Beach and it is pretty shady with certain things - but I really hope they aren't just hiring anyone off the streets for $8 an hour when they should be thouroughly screening and bonding the people working in these sensitive areas....

The port of San Diego is the ONLY port where I had a porter refuse my tip! I tried, but he wouldn't take it. I have probably cruised out of there 4 or 5 times, but it was only on one occasion, that I was refused. I tip at all ports which is sometimes ridiculous because alot of times I am handing them the bag, and they are maybe walking it 2 feet, but whatever, lol.

Hey, we did too! We had a porter refuse our tip when embarking on the Carnival Spirit. He told my husband to "spend it on your wife and have a great vacation". :)

I agree...I do understand the argument that they make good $$ and it isn't a profession that requires tipping. However, no matter how lame it may be, it is just less awkward for me to tip than to not tip in this circumstance. Even if I am being "strong armed" into it, I don't want the flack and will just tip to avoid the confrontation. I'm on vacation and we tend to be more easy going and generous at this point and I don't need or want any back lash from not tipping. In this, as in most things, I tend to choose the path of least resistance. :)

Original post:....At Port Canaveral, there are large signs saying something like, "Do not tip the porters. They are paid a salary."

Signs like those are put up to remind the "boobs" among us that people who handle your luggage should be tipped.

I guess I don't understand how a sign that says "Please don' tip" is there to remind us TO tip.

Original post:....At Port Canaveral, there are large signs saying something like, "Do not tip the porters. They are paid a salary."

I guess I don't understand how a sign that says "Please don' tip" is there to remind us TO tip.

Stop making sense...that just confuses some here! ;)

It's ashame how many posters feel that they "have to tip so their bags find their way to their room" That shouldn't be the reason for tipping and it is up to the Cruise lines to make sure our luggage gets to our room--they should be responsible not whether you tip or not!

It's ashame how many posters feel that they "have to tip so their bags find their way to their room" That shouldn't be the reason for tipping and it is up to the Cruise lines to make sure our luggage gets to our room--they should be responsible not whether you tip or not!

The longshoremen work for the PORT not the cruiseline, so the thinking is that the bags won't make it to the ship if the porter is less than professional. just saying, not saying if I agree or not, but better safe than sorry is my motto.:)

The longshoremen work for the PORT not the cruiseline, so the thinking is that the bags won't make it to the ship if the porter is less than professional. just saying, not saying if I agree or not, but better safe than sorry is my motto.:)

That thought process is exactly what the workers are counting on.:(

What might help is if people start complaining to the cruiselines since they have to pay these shysters wages....make it part of the contract or have a couple cruise reps waiting by the drop off area to ensure the intimidation and tip begging doesn't happen

Average salary for longshoremen in U.S.: http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Longshoreman/Salary

So as can seen by these numbers, if the porter is indeed a longshoremen you likely would be tipping someone who earns over $100,000 per year in salary.

That's very good money in most places, but in locations like New Orleans, and most ports except maybe NY, NJ, it's great money. A lot of ports are in areas where the average household income hovers closer to 50K, much less individual incomes. I mentioned baggage not making it to cabins because that has been posted multiple times in threads about tipping. I've also read posts about bags turning up soaking wet after being "dropped" in the water. That is not why we tip. We do it because really, it doesn't impact us financially and we want to.

A few years back on a cruise out of NYC the longshoremen took my bags and before I had a chance to tip him said to me "Sir, this is the last time you will be seeing me."

What I took him to be actually saying was: this is the last time you will be seeing your luggage.

I gladly tipped him. I would rather have my luggage arrive at my stateroom than on a cargo ship bound to the Strait of Hormuz.

The longshoremen can easily make a little mistake, so the tip is worth the insurance.

I gladly tipped him. I would rather have my luggage arrive at my stateroom than on a cargo ship bound to the Strait of Hormuz.

The longshoremen can easily make a little mistake, so the tip is worth the insurance.

That's what he was hoping you would think. I don't know about that pier, but the one's I've seen it's not like they set your luggage on some conveyor or bin and they have to know which one to sit it in for your ship. I don't think I've ever heard of an issue with someone's luggage never making it on a ship. Not that it can't/hasn't happened, I've just never heard of it actually happening. Now, I have heard of luggage coming of a ship landing in the drink here in Galveston, but that wasn't tip related.

From my observations at various ports, so this is strictly imho, the luggage is handed to a porter/longshoreman who brings it a very short distance to security personnel where another set of longshoremen brings it to the ship. By then the luggage is all jumbled and with different people than the person that passengers tip. .

That thought process is exactly what the workers are counting on.:(

What might help is if people start complaining to the cruiselines since they have to pay these shysters wages....make it part of the contract or have a couple cruise reps waiting by the drop off area to ensurethe intimidation and tip begging doesn't happen

Really, how much money are we talking here? A couple of bucks. I don't why you are getting yourself so upset over a couple of bucks. It is how things are done, it is the culture of how things are done. You can't fight city hall, and all that jazz.

Perhaps I am just of a different mindset. I do not care how much money someone makes. If someone helps me with my heavy luggage, whether it be a bell-hop, sky-cap, porter, etc, I am going to slip them a few bucks. I applaud someone who can make a good living doing this. Who cares what they make?

BTW, I did post about my ex-BIL, who is a Miami porter, on the other thread. I know for a fact he does not make the salary posted by some on these threads. I only posted it as a rebuttal to the claims.

BTW, I did post about my ex-BIL, who is a Miami porter, on the other thread. I know for a fact he does not make the salary posted by some on these threads. I only posted it as a rebuttal to the claims.

Not to worry. Some posting here will not be persuaded by facts. I have seen nothing yet that shows that porters at Port Canaveral are unionized. I am not disagreeing with the fact that there are organized baggage handlers at most ports. Some of the nicest have been the ones in NYC where I am sure they are Longshoremen. Does anyone have specifics on Port Canaveral? Wonder why 60 Minutes hasn't looked into this yet? :rolleyes:

A few years back on a cruise out of NYC the longshoremen took my bags and before I had a chance to tip him said to me "Sir, this is the last time you will be seeing me."

What I took him to be actually saying was: this is the last time you will be seeing your luggage.

I was given this line too. I almost laughed & wanted to say, "and the last time you will see me, so should we hug?" - lol - but as others said, I don't want my luggage to miss the ship.

I really don't mind tipping for many services I receive. I try to always give a bit more than expected thinking maybe it will brighten someone's work day at a minimal cost to me. However, at times with the cruise luggage we have hauled our luggage right up to the cart, they toss it on the cart & a tip is expected.

Not sure about Florida but in California you can't even THINK about working anywhere near a port unless you are union.....pretty much the same all over the U.S. I would assume....some may make 6 figures with crazy union overtime rules but I bet the average wage is still well over 60K a year which is way more than should have to be paid for a steveadore....I say don't tip them.....its really just another union extortion technique...:eek:

That $60k includes benefits......the base salary is much lower according to salaries.com. So much for the theory that they make $100k+. :rolleyes: Check out the link below....

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_salaryresults.asp?hdSearchByOption=0&hdSearchByOption=0&hdKeyword=Stevedore&hdJobCategory=SC06&hdZipCode=32801&hdStateMetro=&hdGeoLocation=Orlando,%20FL%2032801&hdJobCode=SC16000234&hdJobTitle=Stevedore&hdCurrentTab=&hdNarrowDesc=Skilled%20and%20Trades

Basically it states that Stevedores (if that it the correct job title) earn the following:

• Base Salary / Bonuses / Benefits / Paycheck / Total compensation (base + bonuses + benefits)
  • Stevedore - Orlando, FL 32801
  • $37,115 - $37,813 - $45,917 - $52,598

(This is not much money at all, particularly when you combine the outdoor element & climate in FL. )

Archived