Why do we HAVE to use porters?

We left from Fort Lauderdale in December '07 and we walked to the port ourselves from our hotel and were then able to just throw our checked luggage on the luggage carts ourselves. I don't think the porters were impressed, but I just don't see why I should be forced to use their services when I didn't need them (my husband had no problem putting our two relatively light cases on the carts). We did get our luggage to our cabin at the same time as everyone else.

This is no way to say that I do not tip when appropriate - I always do so, but only when I am requesting service. Obviously, those who do wish for porter assistance should also tip accordingly.

What does make me uncomfortable is being forced to tip or asked for more - I really think it makes the situation much worse.

Don't tease! What is, in your estimation, a "nice little tip"? I'm just an old single gal, and if, after my week of vacation, my clip of 100 $1's (put back for tips only) is gone, I figure I've done the best I could . . .

nice little tip - 10 to 20 dollars depending on how many people and bags.

My opinion: Those who fuss about tipping are unfamiliar with working for tips!

The problem is they don't work for tips.

http://www.oceancareers.com/2.0/career_salary.php?career_id=43

While a $1-2 per bag doesn't sound bad on its own, tips do seem to add up rather quickly on vacation. I have no problem tipping those who serve me on vacation and do "work for tips." I get aggravated when everyone who touches my bags expect a tip.

That being said, I do regularly tip the porters. It can get aggravating but I'm on vacation and in a different mindset. :cool:

We usually tip $1 a bag + $1. So three bags would be $4.

Maybe it's me, but I've never had an issue with the porters. They've never been rude, never requested a tip (although we had our $ in hand). I've always found them to be pleasant and polite.

We left from Fort Lauderdale in December '07 and we walked to the port ourselves from our hotel and were then able to just throw our checked luggage on the luggage carts ourselves. I don't think the porters were impressed, but I just don't see why I should be forced to use their services when I didn't need them (my husband had no problem putting our two relatively light cases on the carts). We did get our luggage to our cabin at the same time as everyone else.

This is no way to say that I do not tip when appropriate - I always do so, but only when I am requesting service. Obviously, those who do wish for porter assistance should also tip accordingly.

What does make me uncomfortable is being forced to tip or asked for more - I really think it makes the situation much worse.

I agree with you 100%

I have no problem tipping people who really work for me on my vacation. The cabin and dining stewards and the like.

It's not the couple of bucks , its the way they grab your bag that you are totally capable of handleing and have not asked for their services. then obce they do you have to wonder if I don't slip this guy something am I evr going to see my bag anytime soon. That is just wrong

I have dealt with the "taxi dispatcher" guy myself.

the cab is right in my eyesight that i can easily wave my hand and call him over. And I have no problem tipping the driver for taking me where I want to go. But the guy that waves his hand and makes the driver move a few feet to puick me up? Come on. That is just a scam

My opinion: Those who fuss about tipping are unfamiliar with working for tips!

thats what those of you who are defending them don't understand...PORTERS DON'T WORK FOR TIPS!!!!! they receive a very good union wage and just rely on intimidation and extortion to get even more money for a job that they are overpaid to do in the first place!

I tip extremely well to those who work for tips....and I don't for those that don't...its pretty simple really

thats what those of you who are defending them don't understand...PORTERS DON'T WORK FOR TIPS!!!!! they receive a very good union wage and just rely on intimidation and extortion to get even more money for a job that they are overpaid to do in the first place!

I tip extremely well to those who work for tips....and I don't for those that don't...its pretty simple really

Tell that to the skycaps in Boston who had to bring the airlines into court when the airline began requiring them to charge $2 a bag but retained that money and the skycaps income was substantially reduced because passengers thought that the $2 they were paying was the tip. :rolleyes:

Tell that to the skycaps in Boston who had to bring the airlines into court when the airline began requiring them to charge $2 a bag but retained that money and the skycaps income was substantially reduced because passengers thought that the $2 they were paying was the tip. :rolleyes:

Get a clue......these are not even close to being the same occupation...skycaps ARE a tip receiving occupation and porters are not.....apples and oranges...:rolleyes:

anyone a fight referee? haha

Oh, Dear! The clash of the greedy and the disgruntled~! I personally have not experienced any of this drama. Thankfully! So after all this discussion, evidently everyone will continue to do just as they have in the past. I know I shall! Clip of $1's on hand and, off I go! Enjoy, everyone!

Cant we just put our own cases on the carriage?

The Longshorman's Union is a very strong and powerful union. If the ship want's to depart on time, the cruise companies have to keep the union happy. That is the one and only reason.

anyone a fight referee? haha

LOL. No kidding.

Well, according to the only data posted here so far, the people taking our luggage start at $8.22/hr and the senior guys only make a 27k salary.

Yes, they do make a salary. No, that is not sufficient by today's standards.

Yes, I will continue to tip them.

LOL. No kidding.

Well, according to the only data posted here so far, the people taking our luggage start at $8.22/hr and the senior guys only make a 27k salary.

Yes, they do make a salary. No, that is not sufficient by today's standards.

Yes, I will continue to tip them.

I guess the question would be whether they are considered "stevdores" or "longshoremen." While the words tend to be interchangeable, "stevedore" seems a more broad term. Longshoremen apparently make quite a bit more. Either way they both appear to be unionized and therefore their base rate may only be a small part of compensation.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Longshoreman/Hourly_Rate

Though the Port of Miami website uses "stevedore."

http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/

Technically, longshoremen and stevedores are the people handling lines and loading the ships. Neither title really fits the guys taking our luggage. I think porter is the best term. Do you see anything for them?

Technically, longshoremen and stevedores are the people handling lines and loading the ships. Neither title really fits the guys taking our luggage. I think porter is the best term. Do you see anything for them?

I haven't, but have seen Gonzo make reference to the fact they're actually longshoreman. The fact there are signs advising not to tip would lead me to believe he may be right. They can't come straight out and say "don't tip" but advising it isn't required would seem to be the politically correct way of conveying it.

At some point the cruise lines need to accept some costs and using employees who rely on tips to load their luggage doesn't seem to make sense. Although the porters don't actually load the luggage and therefore aren't doing the grunt work therefore mitigating the need for tips.

I always just tipped the porters but this conversation has arisen a few times in the last couple days and peeked my interest. :cool:

Actually I just did.

http://www.jobsoncruiseliners.com/housekeeping-jobs/porter

It seems the first quote of $8.** was right on. So they are an hourly employee not working for tips. The rate is a bit low but considering it only requires a high school education the wage isn't out of line compared to other non-skilled labor jobs.

I guess the decision to tip depends on strictly on the person without respect to any norms. :cool:

No matter what they make as a wage tips are an EXPECTED part of the job, so it factors into their salary, I don't necessarily always think I should be tipping a maitre'd if I never see him/her on cruise, but I generally do anyway. No they don't make $3.50 an hour like a waitress(in USA) but it's been a part of the job for long time.

I'm usually so excited about getting on a ship that a few $$ at that point doesn't matter, he feels good, I feel good...all good.....I'm cruising!!!:D:)

No matter what they make as a wage tips are an EXPECTED part of the job, so it factors into their salary, I don't necessarily always think I should be tipping a maitre'd if I never see him/her on cruise, but I generally do anyway. No they don't make $3.50 an hour like a waitress(in USA) but it's been a part of the job for long time.

I'm usually so excited about getting on a ship that a few $$ at that point doesn't matter, he feels good, I feel good...all good.....I'm cruising!!!:D:)

Off top but........

Wait staff in CA make the state minimum wage which is 8.00 in the bay area it is 9.79. Some states pay tipped employees less than minimum wage but not all.

Off top but........

Wait staff in CA make the state minimum wage which is 8.00 in the bay area it is 9.79. Some states pay tipped employees less than minimum wage but not all.

Wow, when did that change??? Servers in restaurants used to be paid a lower wage than minimum wage. If this is true, restaurant servers in CA are making great wages! I do know they have to pay a meal credit daily, but they do get a meal during their shift. I think it's something like $2.50 per day, a whole lot less than what customers are paying for their meals.

I worked in a hotel years ago, they took out a meal credit for all of us and we were required to tip the waitress (we were office staff). I also assisted with payroll at that time and servers were payed just a little more than half of the minimum wage.

Back to the porters. Thinking about how many pax are arriving and turning over bags with tips, plus the ones earlier getting off the ship, I would bet the porters are making a fairly decent amount of money each day. Good for them.

We left from Fort Lauderdale in December '07 and we walked to the port ourselves from our hotel and were then able to just throw our checked luggage on the luggage carts ourselves.

You walked to Port Everglades from your hotel?! :eek: How long did that take?

Sorry--didn't read it carefully enough!

Saw the $10-20 and freaked!

And, the porters only get the bags TO the ship---they aren't the ones who deliver to your cabin, so a larger tip won't get it there any faster!

However, NO tip might mean your suitcase ends up in the bay or closesst dumpster instead of on the ship.

When I leave on vacation, one of the most important things I make sure I have with me, and within easy reach, is a clip of $1 bills. I am aware (and as a single 55+ woman - truly hope) that there will be many people along the way who will be assisting me, and who work for tips (or supplemental tips). I make it a point to have a couple of bucks pulled out to hand to anyone whom I ask for assistance before I ask them a thing. This method works like a charm for me, for sure. I find myself in upgraded situations and receiving my luggage quickly far more often than general chance would warrant. I just consider it as a part of the cost of my vacation - and, I would add, the part that seems to give me the most bang for the buck! One of my last stops before I leave for vacation is the bank (or, I have gone to a grocery store) to get a clip of "singles" ($1's).

I agree. Being prepared like that is the sign of a traveler...and there is a big difference between a traveler and a tourist.

I always have plenty of ones all together in my document folder where I keep confirmations, cruise tickets, airline tickets, passport and other necessary items when traveling.

In my cabin, I put the singles in the drawer of the vanity where they are at hand for tipping room service.

Many people who assist you when you travel - cruise or otherwise - depend upon tips. In some places, it's simply the thing that is expected...in other areas, not so much.

It is part of my travel budget........as much as an airline ticket or rental car.

Archived