Trays and Plates???

CruzzyToozy

This past weekend I had brunch at an upscale restaurant that served a buffet. The line was very very long and since I am still recuperating from hip surgery, I needed a cane. I was able to get what I needed onto a plate (all food was served by servers) but then couldn't carry the plate. There were many waiters and one helped me bring it to my table. I realized later that I didn't know if he wore gloves and his hands were on my plate. However, I also realized that a tray would not have helped me either since I couldn't carry it and would have needed assistance.

I understand your concern about gloved hands, but waiters serve us all the time in restaurants and most waiters do not have gloved hands when serving our food.

In terms of sanitation and cleanliness, I seriously doubt any land hotel can come close to the rigid standards cruise ships must achieve.

Speaking of which.........

While aboard, we learned that Maasdam, a 15 year old ship, recently passed both Canadian and U.S.P.H. Inspections with score of 97 !!! OUTSTANDING. We were so happy for that hard working crew to achieve that. I doubt Four Seasons or The Ritz in most cities could get such a score.

Your posting in too large font, combined with the bold, is perceived as shouting by other posters on this board. Whether or not you want to admit it does not change what is.

If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and .... :rolleyes:

Amen and quack quack! :rolleyes:

01_08_52---Duck_web.jpg

GeriatricNurse, please tone it down! :eek:

Quite the contrary, I think HAL wants to encourage more people to eat in the Lido, especially for dinner. That's why the Lido now offers pretty much the same entrees each night as the main dining room, and the dinner hours were extended.

I personally think it's a sanitation thing for the reason the trays have been removed. I would imagine those trays would really aid in the spread of germs, especially if they weren't fully washed down between uses ... such as where the Lido is running out of trays and you see stewards wiping them down and then returning them to the serving line.

Even without the trays, there are plenty of stewards available to assist folks who may need a hand with getting their food to the table. Just ask ... and I'm sure a friendly steward will be right there offering his help.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Now I feel that HAL got a lot of complaints from folks who didn't want to dress up & went to the Lido only to find the menu different in some ways than in the d.r. SO they changed the menu to accomodate - not sure HAL really want more folks in an already crowded Lido..esp with more cabins & therefore more pax on the S-Class ships over the next few yrs.. :(

Trays are usually sanitized in large dishwashers but even if wiped down - not much chance of any more 'germs' than in your own kitchen.. Besides, u don't eat off the tray, u put the food into/onto plates, cups, bowls & glasses - u don't put it directly on the tray :)...In fact, less chance of contamination on a tray because no chance of your fingers or thumb slipping into the food as u carry it..or a servers for that matter!

As for getting assistance, yes its possible but a little less so now as they have downsized the crew & are increasing pax... A few yrs back I wld have agreed with you!

Besides, its the extra walking that for some will be a real problem..Just my personal experience of course..

I am, by the way, not in favor of doing away with trays..didn't enjoy trayless buffets on other lines..always preferred HAL.... :(

Have happy cruisin'!

I assume you're referring to me. There are many posts on CC asking GN to "tone it down", but many haven't been as polite in their requests.

I am asking very politely. Please----the all bold large font is very abrasive and irritating.:)

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but is there any reason why the server would not put an item on my plate that already had several items on it, and insisted on giving me another plate with the new item?

I had already gotten a couple of items on a plate from other stations, and then walked over to the hot items and asked for something (I can't recall what it was), and handed the server my dish that was half full, and he would not put the hot item on the dish, he gave it to me on a clean dish.

Even though it didn't inconvenience me in the least, I can't fathom why they would do that. Any guesses?

It means the type and style of typeface.

I know what font is. :D:D:D

Since you quoted me, your post seemed to mean that you had an issue with my font.

When I quoted you, I should have said "My font?"

Oh nevermind, now even I'm confused. :confused:

I know what font is. :D:D:D

Since you quoted me, your post seemed to mean that you had an issue with my font.

When I quoted you, I should have said "My font?"

Oh nevermind, now even I'm confused. :confused:

Oh boy---how quickly we get into trouble. I was referencing your statement that some people didn't ask very politely, not taking issue with your font---so I asked politely and my complaint was about GN's font. Sorry for the confusion. I'm confused myself.:confused:

Oh boy---how quickly we get into trouble. I was referencing your statement that some people didn't ask very politely, not taking issue with your font---so I asked politely and my complaint was about GN's font. Sorry for the confusion. I'm confused myself.:confused:

Aaahh...The Cruise For The Confused! Too funny! :D

Your posting in too large font, combined with the bold, is perceived as shouting by other posters on this board. Whether or not you want to admit it does not change what is.

If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and .... :rolleyes:

I kind of like the large print it makes things easier to read (the eyes are not what they used to be):D

I will be cruising HAL for the 1st time on the Eurodam. Is the Lido set up in stations where you can just go to an area and get your breakfast sausage for example? Or, do you have to go to the end of the line each time you want to go for more food? What are the best times to visit for breakfast and lunch without lots of people. Thanks!

What are the best times to visit for breakfast and lunch without lots of people.

There are fewer people trying to eat in the Lido at 10:25 and 1:55 (my prefered times). Both times are five minutes before the main stations close.

Sometimes, though, a shore excursion returns just before the lunch line closes, and it gets busy again.

I will be cruising HAL for the 1st time on the Eurodam. Is the Lido set up in stations where you can just go to an area and get your breakfast sausage for example? Or, do you have to go to the end of the line each time you want to go for more food? What are the best times to visit for breakfast and lunch without lots of people. Thanks!

The lido is set up in stations where you can just go to an area and get your breakfast sausage, or whatever it is you're looking for. There's no need to get in a line each time you want to get more food. It's really a very convenient set-up, without any real waiting involved.

The lido is set up in stations where you can just go to an area and get your breakfast sausage, or whatever it is you're looking for. There's no need to get in a line each time you want to get more food. It's really a very convenient set-up, without any real waiting involved.

That was my experience as well. The only issue I had was, at peak times, it was hard to get a table in the Lido. Several times we ended taking our food to a table in the pool area right outside the Lido. But other than that, there weren't long lines to get your food or drinks.

Archived