New Great Cruises 7-9-09

Clarea, it's a bit of a series. They did one on the Mediterranean and one on the Caribbean, always with an RCI ship. It's on the Travel Channel. Check to see if they're rerunning the others too. They're really not that great, unfortunately. In the hour (which is like 43 minutes of actual show), you see about 10 minutes of ship and 33 minutes of destination. But it's still fun!

Clarea, it's a bit of a series. They did one on the Mediterranean and one on the Caribbean, always with an RCI ship. It's on the Travel Channel. Check to see if they're rerunning the others too. They're really not that great, unfortunately. In the hour (which is like 43 minutes of actual show), you see about 10 minutes of ship and 33 minutes of destination. But it's still fun!

Thanks. We were just on Mariner in May, and even 10 minutes of seeing the ship would be great. Plus it would be nice to see what we missed as we did the Pacific Coastal cruise instead of Mexico.

Bob

Thanks. We were just on Mariner in May, and even 10 minutes of seeing the ship would be great. Plus it would be nice to see what we missed as we did the Pacific Coastal cruise instead of Mexico.

Bob

Oh jeez then it'll be GREAT for you since you were just on the ship AND missed out on your intended itinerary! I'm interested in it because I haven't been to the MR and have always wanted to take that itinerary but lately I read a LOT of people saying it's not THAT great and the Caribbean is better, which I've done 8 times already. So I'm looking forward to it as well.

Oh jeez then it'll be GREAT for you since you were just on the ship AND missed out on your intended itinerary! I'm interested in it because I haven't been to the MR and have always wanted to take that itinerary but lately I read a LOT of people saying it's not THAT great and the Caribbean is better, which I've done 8 times already. So I'm looking forward to it as well.

Yep, same here. We've done a bunch of Caribbean cruises and were looking forward to the MR as something new to experience. Royal gave us a very generous future cruise credit because of the changed itinerary, so we will probably be booking Mariner for next spring or summer.

Bob

Yep, same here. We've done a bunch of Caribbean cruises and were looking forward to the MR as something new to experience. Royal gave us a very generous future cruise credit because of the changed itinerary, so we will probably be booking Mariner for next spring or summer.

Bob

If the FCC is very generous, then it sounds like everything actually worked out for the better!

If the FCC is very generous, then it sounds like everything actually worked out for the better!

Yes, it was an incredible deal for us. Initially, when Royal announced the change, we were very disappointed as we were looking to go someplace warm and sunny. Then we started to think about going under the Golden Gate on Mariner and how rare an opportunity what would be on a Voyager class ship. Royal gave us $600 OBC and $600 FCC, which was great in itself. Then they cut the price in half, so they just about gave us a free cruise. Some days the weather was pretty chilly, but we really lucked out in Seattle and Victoria which were perfect days. It turned out to be a great cruise, and I'd do the itinerary again if they offered it. What a great B2B it would be, alternating MR with PNW.

Bob

The footage was filmed on Mariner the week of March 15th......there were 2 or 3 film crews from the travel channel but, SADLY....No Samantha Brown!......She really makes the cruise specials Awesome!!!.......

My wife and I were close to where they were filming a couple of times....we hope to make the final "cut"..........

If so, I'd be happy to sign any and all autograph requests....LOL!

Steve-O!

The footage was filmed on Mariner the week of March 15th......there were 2 or 3 film crews from the travel channel but, SADLY....No Samantha Brown!......She really makes the cruise specials Awesome!!!.......

My wife and I were close to where they were filming a couple of times....we hope to make the final "cut"..........

If so, I'd be happy to sign any and all autograph requests....LOL!

Steve-O!

Yeah, no Sam because it's a different series. She's "Great Cruises." This one's different and seems to be only RCI (hence the title of each episode starting with "why not...").

Sam's shows are better. On THIS show, they'll follow friends or a families on a particular cruise and show you their experience (mostly in port). On the first episode, they had such a ridiculous family that EVERYONE on these boards thought they were actors and not really a family.

Because this show is made by (at least in part) the RCI marketing department, the featured "actors" are always in suites (and of course they don't TELL you that...they just fawn over how beautiful their cabin is), and they do all their excursions on their own. They never wait in line, etc. Typical marketing stuff.

But still fun to watch! :)

I must be getting the Travel Channel in a parallel universe because the only show that's ever on there in the evenings is that guy going all over the world eating all those gross things! Can't remember the name of the show.

Maybe it's because I'm on the west coast?

I must be getting the Travel Channel in a parallel universe because the only show that's ever on there in the evenings is that guy going all over the world eating all those gross things! Can't remember the name of the show.

Maybe it's because I'm on the west coast?

That would be Anthony Bourdain or Andrew Zimmerman. Yucky shows IMO.

When I go to travel channel's line up, it doesn't list anything about cruises on 7/9???

I guess I will watch and see the other 2 ports we missed as we were on the April 26th cruise. Or better described, we got the shaft cruise. Although, it was in the paper today that the swine flu was starting up in Mexico again. We will see how long these cruises down their will continue this time. I'm scheduled to go in October with a group of 18 that I put together last year. With our luck it won't happen again.

Archived