Internet question

tidefan

We will be sailing on our first HAL cruise on the Westerdam, July 12th Alaskan Explorer cruise. Can anyone please tell me if it less expensive to use the ships internet service or would it be better for me to take along my laptop and use my AT&T wireless card? I will be spending approximately 1-2 hours per day on the internet. Is service even accessible using my wireless card? I would appreciate your help.

I would suggest calling ATT&T to verify which ports they will be available. The advantage of the ship's internet service is that it will be available when the ship is out of port and since Alaska is a port intensive cruise you will want time to spend ashore and not on the internet. But check what the differences would be in prices with your provider and HAL and then make your decision.

Have a great next cruise.

When you have AT&T's price, you can use these HAL prices for comparison. Remember, though, that HAL's Internet connection is v-e-r-r-y s-l-o-w.

First, there's a $3.95 set-up charge. Plus choice of

$0.75 per minute, or

$55.00 for 100 minutes (10 bonus minutes for signing up the first day.), or

$100.00 for 250 minutes (20 bonus minutes).

For what it's worth, there's also fine free wifi in the Juneau Library which is literally right next to the pier. I used it and it works. :) I was also told that there's free internet at the vistors' center in Sitka, didn't use it, too busy.

But any crew member can tell you what's out there at the various ports for free, that might be an option to consider

It sounds like you are thinking you can use your wireless care on board the ship...Not so. While on the ship you can only use the satellite connection wifii. EM

Wireless Maritime Services (the ship's satellite mobile phone connection provider) provides data services, at least for Sprint customers (my carrier). If that is the case, why wouldn't the OP be able to use her wireless card (assuming it is the same for AT&T - I know WMS and AT&T have a cruise ship partnership; just don't know what it includes). I, for one, plan on using my smartphone to e-mail and access the internet via my roaming cell phone connection and WMS, which will cost me 2 cents per KB of information transferred (per the Sprint website). Sounds cheaper (and probably faster?!) than the ship's wifi. Yes, I only have my MotoQ's screen and qwerty keyboard to do this on, but, I already use it a lot for e-mailing/texting on the fly. No big difference. Don't really need the internet while on vacation for anything else anyway.

Will these devices access the service for which they were intended, or will they access the closest "tower" or provider?

When at sea, the wireless card would access the WMS service on the ship. Within 3 miles of land, WMS is turned off, and the device would need to access the nearest land tower/signal. If in Europe or South America, it might need to be international roaming enabled - not sure. I know phones need to be (but not for accessing the WMS signal on the boat - at least not with Sprint phones - any old sprint phone can access WMS, but it is a roaming signal). Again, I'm getting my info from the WMS website and the Sprint website. I'd check with your particular carrier for what applies to you and your equipment.

Archived