# of days recommended pre-cruise in Rome?

Cruisinforasnoozin

Hi

Planning for our 12 day Med & Greek Cruise. 1st time in Europe! Originally planning to two before cruise departure but after reading all the threads... OMG before visiting I need to sleep Lol. In your opinion what would be a reasonable recommended number of days stay in Rome before the cruise to see say the top 10 things listed and at the same time can anyone recommend a reasonable clean hotel? AND the ship arrives in Venice, we sleep overnight. Would would you stay longer in Venice?

Sorry... if lots of questions..... Thanks!

LT

Two days might seem a bit short as you'll only have the afternoon of the day you arrive, one full day and then a few hours on the morning that you depart for Civitavecchia.

We spent 3 days pre-Cruise in Rome in October (following a port day there a few years ago), but could have easily stayed longer. If you have the time and can afford a longer stay, I think you'll appreciate staying more than 2 days.

In Venice, again, if you can afford the time and cost, then an extra night would definitely be worthwhile. Otherwise, your time there will be quite limited if you arrive in the afternoon and head home the following morning.

This is a recent thread discussing affordable hotels in Rome: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=984330&highlight=hotel+rome

To find other threads on this topic, using "Search this Forum" (under the page numbers at the top of the Med Forum page), search "Hotels Rome" & quite a few threads will come up.

Well, how much time do you have? :D:D

I've been to Rome many times and still find new things to see on every visit.

But to be serious, I think a minimum of 3 days in Rome, and I would stay an extra night in Venice as well.

I did two full days in Rome pre-cruise (not counting the actual cruise departure day, we left the hotel at 11:00 so no sightseeing that morning) and two days post-cruise in Venice, and felt it was adequate to see the major sights.

We used the HO HO bus as our transportation around Rome. The first day we did the Northern section and the second day the Southern section. We purchased a 48 hour pass from viator.com so it was paid for in US $ before we ever left home. They send you a voucher and you just exchange that right at the bus for your actual ticket. Worked great!

We stayed at Domus Aurelia (a small hotel run by nuns near the Vatican). It was a very nice hotel, but a little out of the way, we had to use taxis getting to and from the hotel, as my friend couldn't do the walking. But the price was certainly better than other hotels in Rome. We paid $113 for a triple because we needed twin beds (not common in a lot of hotels in Europe).

http://www.domusaurelia.com/

Have a great trip!

Having stayed in Rome a combined total of four weeks, I would say that three days would be ideal to see the major sites. It does take some planning and prioritizing. If you want to see the Vatican, buy tickets before you leave home or arrange for a private tour. We used Through Eternity for our Vatican/St. Peters tour and were extremely please with our guide. We have also taken the Scavi tour underneath St. Peters, again you must book ahead for this one. There are several threads on CC regarding all of these points . A good map of Rome will give you an idea of where everything is, distances and what sites are in a certain area of Rome. The big box book store carries a nice foldable map of Rome (and other major cities of the world).

Rome is a great city for walking and the historic center is signposted for all the major sites, something along the lines of Boston's Freedom Trail. We have not used the HOHO bus but have used the Metro and taxis when we didn't or couldn't walk any distance. Always be sure to use the Comune di Roma (white cars) taxis, the fare is fixed and metered.

We stay in an apartment (Residenza Giubbonari) on the Via Giubbonari near the Campo dei Fiori, there is a minimum 3 night stay.

But, if you don't have three days even one day in Rome is well worth the effort - it is a beautiful, vibrant city and very user friendly.

We've been lucky to have spent a lot of days in Rome too and would also recommend 3 for a first-time stay. Frommers has some suggested itineraries, but basically you could spend one day at the Vatican/St. Peter's Basilica, one day at the Colosseum and Pantheon and etc., and one day seeing the Piazza Navona and other beautiful squares. The evenings are really wonderful, and you can do what we call the fountain crawl (similar to the pub crawl in London) to see the beautiful fountains lit at night. If you have more than 3 days, I would use the extra time to get out and see other parts of Italy.

Have a great trip,

Donna

I agree with Cynthia...... I could never get enough of Rome ! But due to dh schedule and the fact that the cruises we have done were 9nights and 11 nights we have only managed 2 nights precruise at the most..... last trip was only 1 night pre and 1 night post cruise.

Alot will depend on when you flight arrives. We have arrived late in the evening (6:30pm) and earlier in the day.....and was surprised that we felt completely rejuvenated upon arrival (probably adrenaline that we were in Rome :D) Try to stay up and go to bed on Rome time...... makes the transition easier.

If you plan things very carefully, you can fit alot in a short amount of time. My advice would be to sightsee your legs off during the day.....but in the evening and night.....take it slow - soak it in. Stroll the piazzas like the locals do.

Well, how much time do you have? :D:D

I've been to Rome many times and still find new things to see on every visit.

But to be serious, I think a minimum of 3 days in Rome, and I would stay an extra night in Venice as well.

I agree,but I would change it up a bit and say as many days as you can afford time wise as welll as money wise as there are always day trip from Rome,and sitting and watching take time as well,and Venice at least 2 more days or again see above:D

Hi

Planning for our 12 day Med & Greek Cruise. 1st time in Europe! Originally planning to two before cruise departure but after reading all the threads... OMG before visiting I need to sleep Lol. In your opinion what would be a reasonable recommended number of days stay in Rome before the cruise to see say the top 10 things listed and at the same time can anyone recommend a reasonable clean hotel? AND the ship arrives in Venice, we sleep overnight. Would would you stay longer in Venice?

Sorry... if lots of questions..... Thanks!

LT

Top ten in rome can be done in two days or two weeks, LOL. For example you could spend two full days in the Vatican Museum or two hours depending on your interest :D

Seriously 2 full days with departure on 3rd day is likely the minimum to see 10 sites not in a total rush.. Day 1 arrival AM a slow day see 3 ( one in evening ). Day 2: full day see say 4-6 sites. Day 3: see site and then off to the ship in the afternoon. You have the luxury to include two evenings in Rome where a walk and dinning will really be something most of us dont' get on a cruise stop. I did that a decade+ ago and it was a magical 3 days.

BTW everyone's top 10 is different and you could still end up "rushed" in 2 and half days ;)

Venice has a certain allure, but the reality is that the "sites" and most important "experiences" can be done in a full day. Like Rome depending on your style you coudl stretch that into many more days, but a full day is more then enough to see everythign that a friend might ask "did you see xyz in Venice ? "

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by chipmaster

Excellent! Thanks everyone for your input. Sure I would love 2 weeks LOL but... I will take your advice & go for 3 days minimum. I want to experience and enjoy! If I miss a few things, well I'll just have to go back! Our cruise is June 22 on the Ruby Princess, I hope that is a good time of the year.

Thanks again.;)

Our cruise is June 22 on the Ruby Princess, I hope that is a good time of the year.

;)

Just is just the time frame that we were in Rome on a land trip for a week. The days could be a bit hot, but the evenings were fantastic. It was perfect for strolling and enjoying a gelato. We are returning to Rome pre-cruise in November-- for just two days due to time constraints. I wish we had more time!

Three days to visit any major European city is a good guide, IMO, for a first-time visitor.

We stayed last month for five nights post-cruise at the wonderfully located Hotel Smeraldo near Campo di'Fiori and five minutes from the useful Largo Argentina transportation hub. We love exploring the mainly pedestrian "Old Rome" around the Campo, Pantheon, and Piazza Navona after dinner. The windows are well-insulated, the hotel is very clean, the beds are comfortable, the rooms are decent-sized for Rome, the bathrooms are newly renovated and there is a small elevator, a/c and rooftop terrace.

The price for a double room for our fantastic stay last month was 130 Euros per night plus 7 Euros per person for a very extensive and fresh breakfast with croissants and other pastries, rolls, great blood orange juice, cappucino, coffee (with my loved hot milk), cereal, yogurt, granola, nutella, ham and cheese.

• 6 years later...

Back before I just cruised, I did a land trip to rome. I stayed three days. I like to walk or hire a tour so I split two days up just walking and one with joe bananas ( fabulous btw). I thought I pretty much covered rome but since then I've been back three times and going again in June, lol.. I don't think u can ever see enough.

I started in the travestere ( sp) area which I loved. I believe the hotel was hotel santa maria. At that time, it was top ten on TA and very reasonable. I liked it because it had a courtyard to sit and enjoy a glass of wine after a busy day.

My recommendation is to spend as much time as possible there. Rome was never on the top of my list but I sure love it. Happy travels.

Why not do 5 days and add a couple of day trips - so so many places you can see within a 90 minute train ride! Or do what I am currently doing - a 54 day pre cruise through Italy after leaving the workforce - just one day woke up and had enough!

Back before I just cruised, I did a land trip to rome. I stayed three days. I like to walk or hire a tour so I split two days up just walking and one with joe bananas ( fabulous btw). I thought I pretty much covered rome but since then I've been back three times and going again in June, lol.. I don't think u can ever see enough.

I started in the travestere ( sp) area which I loved. I believe the hotel was hotel santa maria. At that time, it was top ten on TA and very reasonable. I liked it because it had a courtyard to sit and enjoy a glass of wine after a busy day.

My recommendation is to spend as much time as possible there. Rome was never on the top of my list but I sure love it. Happy travels.

You realize you pulled this old thread up from 2009? :cool:

Have to smile at the OP's question. We would change it slightly to, number of days you should stay in Italy before the cruise. Then we would change it again to the number of "months" you should stay in Italy before your cruise! Get my drift :). But seriously, try to maximize your trip to Europe (it is expensive just getting there) as best you can. Beg, borrow and steal some extra days (and hopefully have the budget that can handle the extra cost). You will not get bored in Rome :). If you do, there are many day trips outside of Rome that will keep you happy.

Hank