Has anyone taken their Kindle on a cruise?

CruiseMark

About the best invention for readers. think it will really catch on as the price comes down. So nice to have a "library" while traveling that fits in your tote bak and doesn't weigh anything. I do agree with the poster that they need to come out with something like this in shoes.

Thanks everyone for their input on this. I'm definitely getting one. Just the weight & space savings and convenience are the decision-makers for me. I'm glad you said you can read it in regular light.

And to the person who asked where to buy one, yes, they're only available through Amazon as they're actually built by Amazon.

I love my Kindle that I got for my birthday. I find I read easier and faster on it. DH likes getting some of the newspapers too. I will be bringing on our Hawaii cruise along with a paperback to read while DH reads some of the papers on the Kindle. :)

Yes there is a library on board, but I prefer to pick out my books since my "To Be Read" list is so long!

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Kindle (or whatever we can get here in the UK), as I love reading - but one thing I do a lot when I am away is use audiobooks, which I download onto my tiny iPod. They are great on buses, airplanes, etc. Especially on buses as reading on a bus makes me feel nauseous. They are also great for while doing housework, etc. The only drawback I find with them is that I tend to fall asleep while listening!

Bought the Kindle 2 before a spring cruise. I really liked that it fit in my purse to read on the plane to and from the cruise. I had loaded it with books from Amazon and from free sites (classics). I read the Kindle blog regularly. Amazon offers free with purchase, free books and specially priced books fairly frequently. There is method to their free offers. I downloaded a free book and liked it so much (couldn't go to sleep without finishing it) that I bought more of that author's books. The only "problem" I have is that it is so easy to buy a book! On the cruise, I downloaded magazines, newspapers, and a book while at a US port. It was also nice to get on the internet without going through the ship's access (only works in US ports).

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Kindle (or whatever we can get here in the UK), as I love reading

We can't buy the Kindle in the UK - quote from Amazon website:

Amazon Kindle

Over 290,000 books, newspapers, magazines, and blogs available for immediate wireless delivery. Available only on Amazon.com. U.S. customers with a U.S. credit card and shipping address can order Kindle here.

But we can get other, similar devices. The one I have is the Sony E-Reader, currently for sale for £199 on Amazon. The only downside IMHO is that the price of the e-books isn't that different to what you would pay for a "normal" book. When you consider that there are no physical costs involved (binding, paper, shipping etc), I think this is a bit of a rip off. Having said that, I got my E-Reader from Waterstones and it came with a free disk containing 100 classics :) Even with these on my E-Reader, I still have room for 60 more books, and have purchased them, despite my mis-givings.

The kindle 2 and DX both have text to speech capability, and it will read any of your books and other documents, albeit in a robotic voice (male or female, your choice). It's great in the car, and while doing things with your hands.

Love my Kindle. Wish I would have had it on my last cruise instead of taking 5 books. Yes, someone did mention there is a library on board the ship but it doesn't carry the authors I like to read so I can load the Kindle up with books I want to read and never run out. We commute to work every day by train and it has been working out great so far. Looking forward to taking it on our next cruise.

I love my Kindle and am looking forward to taking it on our next cruise in 2 weeks. Do I understand correctly that I will only be able to download in an American ports and not at sea?:confused:

I love my Kindle and am looking forward to taking it on our next cruise in 2 weeks. Do I understand correctly that I will only be able to download in an American ports and not at sea?:confused:

Yes that is true. I would load up in advance, like if you were sailing so had no bookstore at sea. I have been doing very well at loading public domain free books and publisher free book offers. Then there is the writers I enjoy or want to try out.

The Kindle has expanded my reading through the freebie stuff. Really love the kindle device. And no more lugging 20 pounds of books on a cruise. Love to read on the cruise. That is a big deal for us. No interruptions with everyday life. Everyone cruises for different reasons..

• 1 month later...

Ive done it. After reading all the above I bought a Sony e-reader today at John Lewis - they have a special offer at the moment and are selling it for £149. (Yes, I know, in the States you can get a Kindle or equivalent for less, but electronics are always more expensive here). The normal price is £199. You can't get the Kindle in the UK, and from the reviews it doesn't seem to be much different to the Sony.

The main reason for my buying it is holidays - we are going on a month's cruise in November (LA to Rio) and the thought of all the books I'd want...This is really light and slim, I'm charging it at the moment and am looking forward to trying it out and getting used to the fractional time-delay when turning pages. That didn't seem too bad when I tried it out in the shop.

Happy reading, everyone!

I had wanted a Kindle for a long time and kept looking at them. I would place in my cart and then change my mind at the last minute. I kept telling myself, I could buy a lot of books for $299.00. I finally put it in my cart and pushed buy before I could change my mind. I have had it for a week now and I love it. It is so comfortable to hold and the print is easier on my eyes then a book. Did not realize I would be able to bring up web sites with my Kindle. My husband could not believe that you could do this without incurring a fee. I can now check my e-mail while traveling in the car, although kind of a pain because the keys are very small. I am excited about taking on my next cruise. The only bummer is that one of the port stops includes a beach day, where I usually love to read but would be too nervous to go out in the water and leave my Kindle in my back pack.

• 2 months later...

For those who are still waffling about buying the Kindle, Amazon's price is now $259. And for another $20 you can buy the international one which allows downloading from 100 different countries. I've had mine a few months and can't imagine living w/o it. Bought one for my DIL's B-day last month and will buy one for my husband for Xmas.

UK people: you can now order it and have shipped to you too.

We are sailing on the Emerald on 11/29 and I already have my Kindle2 packed with about

8 books....I love to read when sailing and this kindle is the best thing since slice-bread.

I now can carry all these books around with me wherever I go and not have to worry about

any extra weight....Can't wait to get in that lounge chair....

Only 8? :)

There are 2 problems with Kindle, and I am not trying to discourage anyone frm getting one. There are areas where you cannot access the satelllite to download the books. We live in an area like that. The other thing is you are limited to Amazon and their format.

Only 8? :)

There are 2 problems with Kindle, and I am not trying to discourage anyone frm getting one. There are areas where you cannot access the satelllite to download the books. We live in an area like that. The other thing is you are limited to Amazon and their format.

When the Kindle first came out, I wasn't able to download the books through Whispernet. BUT i was able to download them to my computer and then onto the book. So I never really found this to be a problem. As I carried it with everywhere, whenever I was in a Whispernet area, I could download books if I needed too.

I haven't found the Amazon format an issue yet, as most of the books are cheaper than other sites. Also, I have found a number of site that now offer thier downloads in the Amazon format. Just take some looking.

I truely love my kindle.

I haven't considered a Kindle because I read too much.... I use my Library and read 10-15 books a month. And I just hate paying for a book when I can get it for free from them..... But, if it will take an Adobe format, that would be a different matter since my Library has them to download for free...... So can the Kindle, or any other readers, use the PDF format?? Thanks!

For those who are still waffling about buying the Kindle, Amazon's price is now $259. And for another $20 you can buy the international one which allows downloading from 100 different countries. I've had mine a few months and can't imagine living w/o it. Bought one for my DIL's B-day last month and will buy one for my husband for Xmas.

UK people: you can now order it and have shipped to you too.

Pia, do you find there is a large selection of popular books available? I have been on the website and looked at the selection but most of these authors I have never heard of. I love the Janet Evanovich "numbers" books, as well as authors like Clive Cussler, James Patterson, J D Robb etc. They don't seem to have many of those type of authors. Am I wrong?

Pia' date=' do you find there is a large selection of popular books available? I have been on the website and looked at the selection but most of these authors I have never heard of. I love the Janet Evanovich "numbers" books, as well as authors like Clive Cussler, James Patterson, J D Robb etc. They don't seem to have many of those type of authors. Am I wrong?[/quote']

Eileen, are you looking in the right place? I just did a quick look on Evanovich and I see 15, 14, 13, 1, 2, 4, 7, 8. When you log into Amazon, go to the Kindle store and then do your author search.

Looked at Cussler. All his books are there too.

I haven't considered a Kindle because I read too much.... I use my Library and read 10-15 books a month. And I just hate paying for a book when I can get it for free from them..... But, if it will take an Adobe format, that would be a different matter since my Library has them to download for free...... So can the Kindle, or any other readers, use the PDF format?? Thanks!

Kindle has over 100,000 free books (I think). So does Sony plus Google has 200,000 more. And there are sites like mobileread.com that also offers free downloads.

Another shout out for Mobileread.com... there's tons of information on the different e:readers and their pros and cons. Both DH and I have Sonys with about 130 books each on them and couldn't go back to paper. Someone mentioned libraries above, you might want to look at the Sony, a lot of libraries now carry their format for loan.

Archived