Has anyone taken their Kindle on a cruise?

CruiseMark

I have the Barnes & Noble Nook. I've had it for a month and just love it!! As previously mentioned, I don't know how I've done without it. I'm not much of a "tekkie" and find it really easy to use. I have a few trips planned this year including a 2 week Hawaii cruise in October which is one of the reasons I bought it.

I paid $259. I consider it my Ipod.:cool:

I was looking for a book on the Amazon site for my Kindle and was amazed at all the free downloads. Some are new titles. The thought crossed my mind that I could read for a good long time and never have to pay for a book.

I bought my wife a kindle for our cruise on the crown in Jan 2010 and she loves it she has not bought a book yet all are free downloads..

I bought my wife a kindle for our cruise on the crown in Jan 2010 and she loves it she has not bought a book yet all are free downloads..

Our library has just enhanced their eMedia selections. It no longer offers just audiobooks, but also ebooks. One of my biggest resistances about buying an ereader was that I don't buy books now...our library system was just rated the best in the country and I certainly take advantage of it. But with an ebooks lending option, I may have to rethink things.

I got hubby the kindle for xmas and he loves loves loves it! He is in the air a lot all over the world so he is always putting lots of books on before his next flight, so much easier than a book! I think its probably the best thing I have ever gotten him in our almost 34 years of marriage! I have no doubt it will go with him when we are on the dream in july. I was going to ask if anyone had used the kindle on a cruise and wondering if it was readable now I have my answer and a happy hubby :D He likes his books and I like my music!

Just got off Emerald. Saw at least 6 Kindles (one was mine) and a Sony without really looking. I did buy a waterproof case for it before I left, but I wound up just using it in my cabin anyway. It didn't occur to me until after we left that I could have accessed whispernet in St. Thomas (I have a US only K2). Oh, well. I had plenty to read and a laptop and USB cord if I needed more.

Elaine

Norman, Oklahoma

For infinite Public Domain books for free on your Kindle, go the the web browser (Menu->Experimental->Web Browser) and browse to http://www.mobileread.com/mobiguide

This link will cause a book to be downloaded to your Kindle that contains a huge index of Kindle-formatted public domain books. To update the guide, simply Go To location 1, and follow the link right there on the cover page.

The selection there is far more extensive than the free public domain books in the Kindle store.

SirWired

Hi, I tried this and got 'Basic Web cannot download this kind of file. Only files with the extension .AZW, .PRC, .MOBI, OR .TXT can be downloaded to your Kindle. I have the 1st generation Kindle, would that make a difference.

Thanks Barb

Hi, I tried this and got 'Basic Web cannot download this kind of file. Only files with the extension .AZW, .PRC, .MOBI, OR .TXT can be downloaded to your Kindle. I have the 1st generation Kindle, would that make a difference.

Thanks Barb

Huh... I have the 1st gen Kindle and I use the guide all the time, but I must admit, I haven't had to touch the web link since day 1...

Ok, Plan B: Browse to that address with your computer, and then transfer the file (it is indeed a .mobi file) onto your Kindle with USB.

SirWired

I also love my Kindle 2. One good point not mentioned yet is that you can read it in bright sunlight with sunglasses on!! I can't read any of my car's computerized information with sunglasses on, so I thought it might be a problem - but - it is still perfect! I just wish the battary lasted a little longer. :D Now, I can pack more shoes and no books!

I bought a Kindle for my DH for Christmas and he loves it. We used it on Emerald Princess in January. There are tons of books for free and we take advantage of them as well as paid for books. It was nice that he saw a new book that he wanted in the airport gift shop and we turned the kindle on and bought it before the flight.

I also put the Kindle application on my iPod Touch. I love having it with me wherever I go. When I stand in a long line at the grocery store I just take out my "book" and read while I wait. When I read in bed with it I don't have to have a light on because it is backlit.

During the summer our DS is buying one for his College books. It will come in handy that he won't be lugging so many text books around.

We are just back from our first cruise where we had our Kindle's. It was so much better than dragging along tons of books! I also found out on board, we were able to use the Cellular At Sea service to browse and download via Amazon's Whisper Net. I don't know if this works with the older Kindle's, as we are using the Kindle 2's, but it was pretty cool! We got lots of great reading done, and saw many other Kindle's and some Sony eReader's as well.

It was great no matter where we were. On the upper decks, in the lounges, and I read a lot in bed while DH was sleeping. My sleep schedule always gets thrown off on the ships for some reason, and I loved being able to read without him turning over every time I turned a page. lol If I wasn't sold before, I definitely am now. :)

Well--I'm not alone with my Kindle on cruises any longer or for that matter any vacation--I have a second generation Kindle--just got through downloading 12 FREE books--I do this every other week or so--must stop I have over 100 free books ono it now--got to run out of space soon I would imagine--I do buy the books I want but I can't turn down FREE--Hey--if you don't like it--delete--how easy is this--I've told many about the free books and can't understand why someone won't spend a few minutes a couple of times a month and delete whatever you don'tcare to read--funny----when people ask you at the beach--is that one of those things--now a few years have gone by and its no big deal now--from

what I understand Kindle is better than Sony---but there are a whole lot of them out there -- enough for everyone--Kindle now is good in 100 countries--I really think that if you can get credit at Amazon tht you can down load almost anywhere.

Nancy:D:D

Hi Mark' date='

I was wondering what everyone was talking about regarding Kindles. Now I know. I wish I could have one but they are not for sale outside the USA as yet. Typical. I hope they don't take too long to come downunder. I would buy one in the blink of an eye.[/quote']

Eileen,

You can buy an international Kindle through Amazon but do not be surprised that the amount of books available are not the same as our friends in the US, you can blame the Australian Government on the restrictions as they knocked back the open publishing bill last year. There are ways around it of course, just look on the net :D

I bought a Sony Reader rather than the Kindle last year in Vancouver mainly because of the amount of formats the Sony can handle. My DW liked it so much we will have to buy another one for our next cruise however we will probably pay for it with the amount we save in excess baggage fees :) My DH is a verocious reader!

Happy Cruising

Chris

I also love my Kindle 2. One good point not mentioned yet is that you can read it in bright sunlight with sunglasses on!! I can't read any of my car's computerized information with sunglasses on, so I thought it might be a problem - but - it is still perfect! I just wish the battary lasted a little longer. :D Now, I can pack more shoes and no books!

Your battery should be lasting weeks without charging. If not, then you are reading with the wireless on. Turn it off. The only time it needs to be on is when you're ordering a book.

Your battery should be lasting weeks without charging. If not, then you are reading with the wireless on. Turn it off. The only time it needs to be on is when you're ordering a book.

I was thinking the same thing when I read that post. My wife only charges hers every couple of weeks and she uses the Kindle pretty much every day. Even then, the charging cord is really small and lightweight, not much of a problem to pack it up for the cruise.

I was thinking the same thing when I read that post. My wife only charges hers every couple of weeks and she uses the Kindle pretty much every day. Even then, the charging cord is really small and lightweight, not much of a problem to pack it up for the cruise.

We have small neoprene bags; mine pink, hubby's is green. They are tiny, lightweight and fit the Kindle and cord quite adequately.

Mine is coming today and can't wait to get my hands on it, I ordered a leather case to protect it while reading and then the zipper case. Has anyone purchased the light for it and is it worth it? Anything else I need to go with it? Already ordered some books to download :D.

Brinda

Thank you for the tip. I just turned off the wireless for my DH. I was wondering why after a couple of days of reading he was needing it charged.

Mine is coming today and can't wait to get my hands on it, I ordered a leather case to protect it while reading and then the zipper case. Has anyone purchased the light for it and is it worth it? Anything else I need to go with it? Already ordered some books to download :D.

Brinda

Haha, I was checking on the delivery of mine after I ordered. The day it was being delivered I was ordering the books off of Amazon and the device was already listed on my Kindle acct. with them. Since the device was already listed I ordered the books. When I took it out of the box and turned it on the books were already on it. Yup, they downloaded while Kindle was on the UPS truck thanks to Whispernet!!

I got the M-Edge Leather case for DH. It is attractive and protected all the time.

I just wish the battary lasted a little longer.

I should read before I post- the suggestion to turn off your wireless was made by a couple of helpful folks- sorry!

I do have a small light that clips onto the kindle so I can read at night or in low light. Ironically, I bought it 75% off from our local Border's going out of business sale! ;p

I am crafty, so I sewed my own case for it using thin packing foam, some cloth scraps, and a button. :)

Haha, I was checking on the delivery of mine after I ordered. The day it was being delivered I was ordering the books off of Amazon and the device was already listed on my Kindle acct. with them. Since the device was already listed I ordered the books. When I took it out of the box and turned it on the books were already on it. Yup, they downloaded while Kindle was on the UPS truck thanks to Whispernet!!

I got the M-Edge Leather case for DH. It is attractive and protected all the time.

Ordered mine on Saturday but picked the free shipping so it is coming by snail mail but it is at my post office so it should be on the truck today.

Gave my hubby a guilt trip because at dinner on Friday night he had an ounce of Louis with his friend and I told him he could have gotten me the Kindle for the same price!!!!:eek:

Guilt is a wonderful thing! :p

Brinda

Got my Kindle yesterday and when I turned it on there were the books I ordered (15 so far). Love it!!!!:D

Good going!!!! Now your addiction will begin, but it isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

Just remember the tip that was posted here about turning the wireless off when you aren't buying books, it will save your battery.

Enjoy!!!

Huh... I have the 1st gen Kindle and I use the guide all the time, but I must admit, I haven't had to touch the web link since day 1...

Ok, Plan B: Browse to that address with your computer, and then transfer the file (it is indeed a .mobi file) onto your Kindle with USB.

SirWired

SirWired: I turned my Kindle back on and the guide was listed there. This is great thanks for all of your help!

Barb

Archived