Has anyone taken their Kindle on a cruise?

CruiseMark

All the talk of free books... Not sure if someone's already posted this or not, so sorry if its a duplicate--- If you google Gutenberg Project, it is an AWESOME website with several thousand free books. Most are old out of copyright books, but still some great classics on there. I also found a lot of the ones Amazon is charging for (a couple of bucks is all, but hey, $ is $) are free on Gutenberg.

All the talk of free books... Not sure if someone's already posted this or not, so sorry if its a duplicate--- If you google Gutenberg Project, it is an AWESOME website with several thousand free books. Most are old out of copyright books, but still some great classics on there. I also found a lot of the ones Amazon is charging for (a couple of bucks is all, but hey, $ is $) are free on Gutenberg.

For free books, try the mobileread link I posted in an earlier post. They have most (if not all) of the Gutenberg books, pre-compressed and pre-formatted into .mobi format, and accessible from a self-updating index from the Kindle itself.

SirWired

Your battery should be lasting weeks without charging. If not, then you are reading with the wireless on. Turn it off. The only time it needs to be on is when you're ordering a book.

Hi Pia,

I must have missed something in the directions. Just found where to turn the wireless off. Now I can read longer!! Thanks for the tip.

We are almost ready for our TA on the Grand April 9. My wife's Kindle arrived today and my iPad will arrive on April 3. We have the sea days covered. All we need to do now is think about packing and what we will do in the ports.

My husband gave me a Kindle for my birthday last year (and he liked it so much he bought himself one, too).

We loaded a bunch of books and took them on our 3 week vacation (16 day cruise, and a few days in Argentina). We turned the wireless off, and only had to charge twice, both times when there was still about 1/3 battery left.

I loved having it with me - I read about 6 or 7 books over the course of the trip - started one, decided I didn't want to read it right then, so switched.

Saved a lot of room in the luggage - so glad I had it!

I wish I could get weeks of battery life. The only time I turn wireless on is to load new reading material. However, battery life is determined by the number of page changes, and I'm a speed-reader, so I can kill that thing to dead in one week, easy.

I've never really understood why Amazon and B&N both rate the battery life in "days" or "weeks" when they both know that time is not what causes the battery to run down: it's page changes. Why not simply rate the battery in pages instead?

SirWired

Someone asked about a light for the Kindle. There is something called a Kandle that is made for the Kindle that you can get on Amazon. I don't have one yet so I can't vouch for it personally but it has good reviews.

That was me - thanks so much. Still deciding if I want to get the light and if I would really use it. Have a rule in my house NO reading in bed :(.

Brinda

Saved a lot of room in the luggage - so glad I had it!

That's the single most important reason I bought my wife her Kindle, it saves room on the bookshelfs and in the luggage. We have hundreds of her novels on our bookshelfs that she's already read but doesn't want to get rid of yet. We've also donated hundreds more to libraries and charities over the years. That takes up a lot of space, and even taking the 8-10 books that she normally would on vacation would pack the luggage.

That's the single most important reason I bought my wife her Kindle, it saves room on the bookshelfs and in the luggage. We have hundreds of her novels on our bookshelfs that she's already read but doesn't want to get rid of yet. We've also donated hundreds more to libraries and charities over the years. That takes up a lot of space, and even taking the 8-10 books that she normally would on vacation would pack the luggage.

She sounds like me but I don't keep my old books - give them to my mom and she reads them and then she passes them around.

I have shelves and any nook and cranny I can find filled with books I haven't read yet plus now that I have my Kindle it's loaded with books already:eek:.

Haven't used my Kindle yet because of the paper books but it is waiting patiently to cruise with me.

Brinda

When I got my Kindle last summer, my husband pooh poohed and said he didn't need one. Fast forward to Xmas when I bought him his own. Now he doesn't know how he ever lived w/o it. We took a short seven day cruise in January and guess whose nose was buried in his Kindle? ;)

We are leaving in a few weeks for a six week cruise and just yesterday checked out our Kindles to make sure we had enough reading material loaded. His is global, but mine is not, so we don't need to worry too much if he needs additional reading material while abroad.

I downloaded several books on the way to Florida and it took all of my husband's persuasive powers to get me to leave the aft balcony where my feet were propped up reading my Kindle. Just thinking about it brings back happy thoughts.

I find myself downloading and reading books I never thought I would, or that I would enjoy, but I do! Many of the classics I dreaded in high school English and Lit. classes, I am now going back and REALLY reading because it's so conveiniant and I find myself truly enjoying it.

I find myself downloading and reading books I never thought I would, or that I would enjoy, but I do! Many of the classics I dreaded in high school English and Lit. classes, I am now going back and REALLY reading because it's so conveiniant and I find myself truly enjoying it.

Interesting that you're doing this, since my husband just downloaded "Pride and Prejudice". He said that since it's now required reading, now he'd like to read it. :)

When I got my Kindle last summer, my husband pooh poohed and said he didn't need one. Fast forward to Xmas when I bought him his own. Now he doesn't know how he ever lived w/o it. We took a short seven day cruise in January and guess whose nose was buried in his Kindle? ;)

We are leaving in a few weeks for a six week cruise and just yesterday checked out our Kindles to make sure we had enough reading material loaded. His is global, but mine is not, so we don't need to worry too much if he needs additional reading material while abroad.

The only problem with the Global feature is the extra fee for downloads outside of the U.S. At an additional $1.99 per book it's something to consider but not really all that unreasonable. We just make sure she adds enough books right before leaving.

The only problem with the Global feature is the extra fee for downloads outside of the U.S. At an additional $1.99 per book it's something to consider but not really all that unreasonable. We just make sure she adds enough books right before leaving.

I feel that $1.99 is a small price to pay if I want a book and I'm in some place like Dubai. ;)

I feel that $1.99 is a small price to pay if I want a book and I'm in some place like Dubai. ;)

Been there, done that. We just returned from Thailand not all that long ago and she bought a couple of books on the way to Khao Yai. I was going bird watching, she needed something to pass the time...

Been there, done that. We just returned from Thailand not all that long ago and she bought a couple of books on the way to Khao Yai. I was going bird watching, she needed something to pass the time...

Amazing, isn't it? This ongoing technology continues to blow my mind.

A friend of mine just bought a Nook, we are going to compare our devices when we get together next Saturday. She uses B&N all the time where I shop Amazon. I do not see one as better than the other. Just different devices for reading.

A friend of mine just bought a Nook, we are going to compare our devices when we get together next Saturday. She uses B&N all the time where I shop Amazon. I do not see one as better than the other. Just different devices for reading.

Actually there are differences.

The Kindle has a keyboard, and you can only buy books from Amazon.

With the nook it has a touchscreen, removable battery, possible addition for a memory card. You are able to buy books elsewhere to load on the nook, including library books. For some purchased books through B&N you are able to lend to a friend for 14 days.

All depends on what you are looking for in a reader.

There are at least 8-10 sources other than Amazon from which you can find free books to download to Kindle. Among these are: Baen.com, Project Gutenberg, Ebooksread.com, feedbooks.com, manybooks.net, etc.

While most of these books are from the public domain, there are others that are not.

Actually there are differences.

The Kindle has a keyboard, and you can only buy books from Amazon.

With the nook it has a touchscreen, removable battery, possible addition for a memory card. You are able to buy books elsewhere to load on the nook, including library books. For some purchased books through B&N you are able to lend to a friend for 14 days.

All depends on what you are looking for in a reader.

I'm personally not worried about the memory card expansion, my wife's Kindle can hold 3,500 books and I doubt she'll fill it before the unit eventually dies and is replaced with the next version. Same with the removable battery, it would be nice but just like our Ipods I'm just not all that worried about the battery. Loaning and/or borrowing books is a nice feature though...

I bought the Sony just because it had the library download but have been very disappointed that our library has not gotten with the program and has LESS than 500 ebooks. (this is Broward County/Ft Lauderdale) And some are kids books. Now who reads to a kid from an e-reader?

Has anyone seen the e-reader that has been in the Wal-greens ad's for the last two weeks for $99.00? Where does that reader get books? I haven't had a chance to look at it in the store but was wondering what would download to it.

I do love my Sony but have returned to checking out library books so I don't have to pay for what I want to read. Of course, I won't be doing that for my next cruise.

Archived