Has anyone taken their Kindle on a cruise?

CruiseMark

I'm just beginning to look at e-readers. What specific features (or lack thereof) make you say you pass on this one?

Does anyone have experience with the relative difference in size between a 6" and 5" screen with the Kindle and the Sony 'poket edition' PRS-300? Is it that noticible?

My husband bought me a nook two weeks ago as a "thank you" for booking us on his first cruise for his birthday. :D

I can put ANYTHING on it!

.pdf files from my on-line writing course? Done!

.epub files from stanza or Gutenberg? You got it!

e-books purchased through Amazon? Yep!

e-books bought from Barnes&Noble? Absolutely!

news-papers? magazines? reviews? Yes, yes and, wait for it. YES!

Best of all, I can sample books before I buy or even read whole books over coffee while in the Barnes&Noble store, (which is where I practically live anyway)

Oh yes, and one more thing. . . If you want to borrow one of my e-books, a lot of the publishers will let me send them to your kindle, blackberry, i-phone, e-mail or, whatever.

This thing is magic! (that much, at least, I'm sure it has common with all the e-readers)

now this is purely subjective and everyone will have their own personal taste and preference. But for what it's worth;

I think the nook just *looks* better. I think it feels more comfortable in my hands and my nook fits nicely on magazine tray of the exercise equipment of my gym.

Here's the blog post I wrote when I could finally put the nook down long enough to write again.

www.taodiva.wordpress.com

(don't worry, I'm not selling anything)

Let me know if you want to borrow anything from my library for your cruise . . .

~TD

I'm just beginning to look at e-readers. What specific features (or lack thereof) make you say you pass on this one?

Does anyone have experience with the relative difference in size between a 6" and 5" screen with the Kindle and the Sony 'poket edition' PRS-300? Is it that noticible?

I just bought an iPad today and I have to say I love it more than my Kindle. I like reading things in color, the fonts are easier to see and it's a backlit screen so I can read in the dark, or on an airplane without needing a light. It's great if you want a subscription to USA Today or other newspapers or magazines.

My husband bought me a nook two weeks ago as a "thank you" for booking us on his first cruise for his birthday. :D

I can put ANYTHING on it!

.pdf files from my on-line writing course? Done!

.epub files from stanza or Gutenberg? You got it!

e-books purchased through Amazon? Yep!

e-books bought from Barnes&Noble? Absolutely!

news-papers? magazines? reviews? Yes, yes and, wait for it. YES!

Best of all, I can sample books before I buy or even read whole books over coffee while in the Barnes&Noble store, (which is where I practically live anyway)

Oh yes, and one more thing. . . If you want to borrow one of my e-books, a lot of the publishers will let me send them to your kindle, blackberry, i-phone, e-mail or, whatever.

This thing is magic! (that much, at least, I'm sure it has common with all the e-readers)

now this is purely subjective and everyone will have their own personal taste and preference. But for what it's worth;

I think the nook just *looks* better. I think it feels more comfortable in my hands and my nook fits nicely on magazine tray of the exercise equipment of my gym.

Here's the blog post I wrote when I could finally put the nook down long enough to write again.

www.taodiva.wordpress.com

(don't worry, I'm not selling anything)

Let me know if you want to borrow anything from my library for your cruise . . .

~TD

Hi,

I'm confused. Are you sure books purchased on Amazon in Kindle format work on the Nook? That would be wonderful and major for all users, but I didn't think the two platforms were compatible.

I just published a cruise romance book on Amazon and was wishing Nook readers could read it, too ... so I'm really curious about this.

Lynn

I just bought an iPad today and I have to say I love it more than my Kindle. I like reading things in color, the fonts are easier to see and it's a backlit screen so I can read in the dark, or on an airplane without needing a light. It's great if you want a subscription to USA Today or other newspapers or magazines.

It's because the screen is backlit on Ipad that I don't like it. I don't mind clipping on a light to read in the dark, but how are you going to read Ipad in the sunlight. I take my Kindle to the beach all the time, and because it's not backlit, I have no problem with glare.

Jo-Ann

Sorry, my mistake about amazon books being read on nook. I found a book I wanted on amazon and DH put the title on my nook all right, but he found the same book on the Barnes & Noble site and downloaded it from there.

Sorry to mislead anyone.

TD

Sorry, my mistake about amazon books being read on nook. I found a book I wanted on amazon and DH put the title on my nook all right, but he found the same book on the Barnes & Noble site and downloaded it from there.

Sorry to mislead anyone.

TD

That's okay. I was just excited about that prospect if it was true <g>.

It's because the screen is backlit on Ipad that I don't like it. I don't mind clipping on a light to read in the dark, but how are you going to read Ipad in the sunlight. I take my Kindle to the beach all the time, and because it's not backlit, I have no problem with glare.

Jo-Ann

It's an anti glare screen. Took it out in the sun today and had absolutely no problem reading a book in bright sunlight.

It's an anti glare screen. Took it out in the sun today and had absolutely no problem reading a book in bright sunlight.

Oh, that's really nice. I can't imagine sitting on the beach without my Kindle. Glad to see IPad is easily read in sunlight.

Enjoy!

Jo-Ann

I'm considering a Kindle, but I want to use it mainly for researching my travel and destinations. I know I can download travel books, etc. How does it work if I want to download and save articles from newspapers, magazines, online sites, etc? And is there a way to group or file things on Kindle? (e.g., can I put all my books and articles on "Athens" "Alexandria" etc together for easy reference?)

Any other thoughts on using Kindle more as a reference? Do printed maps display fairly well?

Also, what cover would you recommend? I'm a little hesitant to get leather as I envision myself reading it in places (e.g., on a table while dining) where the cover might get exposed to something wet or to grease.

Thanks for any info.

I don't go anywhere without my Kindle. As an avid reader, I have to say it is the best purchase I have ever made.

My job is attached to our factory and warehouse so it can get dusty so i bought the M-Edge Leisure Kindle Jacket. It keeps Kindle completely enclosed so it can't get dirty or scratched. I had the binder type but I would smudge it, so I switched.

I'm considering a Kindle, but I want to use it mainly for researching my travel and destinations. I know I can download travel books, etc. How does it work if I want to download and save articles from newspapers, magazines, online sites, etc? And is there a way to group or file things on Kindle? (e.g., can I put all my books and articles on "Athens" "Alexandria" etc together for easy reference?)

Any other thoughts on using Kindle more as a reference? Do printed maps display fairly well?

Also, what cover would you recommend? I'm a little hesitant to get leather as I envision myself reading it in places (e.g., on a table while dining) where the cover might get exposed to something wet or to grease.

Thanks for any info.

I think the one drawback of a Kindle is that maps and pictures don't display well. They show up very light and difficult to read. Either that or there is something wrong with mine. I love my Kindle, but I wouldn't use it for maps.

I think the one drawback of a Kindle is that maps and pictures don't display well. They show up very light and difficult to read. Either that or there is something wrong with mine. I love my Kindle, but I wouldn't use it for maps.

Hmmm, thanks for that input. Just when I was all set to order it after months of waffling...... I wonder if any of the other readers do a better job with maps?

I'd been researching the e-book options for months & 2 weeks ago bought the Nook. I love it & am very happy with my decision. I look forward to not lugging 4-5 books with me in 10 days when we board the Miracle ;).

I'd been researching the e-book options for months & 2 weeks ago bought the Nook. I love it & am very happy with my decision. I look forward to not lugging 4-5 books with me in 10 days when we board the Miracle ;).

I agree! Bought my Nook a couple of weeks ago too. I usually go through 3 - 4 novels on a 5 to 7 day cruise and 50% of my luggage weight was from books!! What a relief to finally have room for my clothes! I love the Nook and find it very easy to use.

Hi --

I have a Kindle 1 which I have had since Dec. 08 (almost day 1). Increased my book reading from about 5 per year to over 50 per year. I intend to take it this time, and load about 4 to 5 extra books for a 20 night trip. I am also looking for a book specificly for my Nikon DX40 camera which comes in Kindle format if I can find one. The weight savings are dramatic, and also the cost of books over in Europe is out of sight. So the Kindle is definitely going with me.

ZU

Archived