Has anyone taken their Kindle on a cruise?

CruiseMark

Did you know that you can download Kindle onto your Iphone? I have three books on mine now and more to come. And I find that reading on that little thing is great as the font is adjustable, etc. Lily

I read a couple of samples on my iPhone and it's ok, but for my older eyes, I like the Kindle. Yes, I can increase the font on the iPhone, but it already has limited words per page.

How water resisitant are they?

If you're going to sit by the pool or at the beach, I've read of people puttinng their devices into Ziploc bags - not waterproof, but the occasional splash shouldn't be a disaster. I bet it won't be too long before somebody makes a waterproof casing, similar to what you'd put on a camera....

I haven't considered a Kindle because I read too much.... I use my Library and read 10-15 books a month. And I just hate paying for a book when I can get it for free from them..... But, if it will take an Adobe format, that would be a different matter since my Library has them to download for free...... So can the Kindle, or any other readers, use the PDF format?? Thanks!
The sony reader works pretty seamlessly with the public library Overdrive system, giving you access to thousands and thousands of first-rate ebooks. You can check the books out for up to three weeks and when they expire, they automatically cease to be readable. No trips back to the library to return them.

The Sony supports both PDF and, even better, EPUB format. In additional to library books, you can buys books from Sony, Fictionwise, Books On Board, etc, etc.

Its not only great for lugging your leisure reading around, but also for those big bulky travel books. Both Frommer's and DK are regularly issuing their travel titles in support ebook format. I love having Frommer's Cruises and Ports of Call 2009 on mine since I can always look up recommendations for any port I'm visiting.

I am concerned about possible sand and water exposure if we read it on the beach
I use an AquaPac PDA pouch for reading in water - hot tub, pool, etc. It's nice to float in the pool with a good book - something I wouldn't dream of doing with a paper book.

IBut, if it will take an Adobe format, that would be a different matter since my Library has them to download for free...... So can the Kindle, or any other readers, use the PDF format?? Thanks!

The Kindle DX ($489 at http://www.amazon.com) can handle PDF files natively. The DX is significantly larger and more expensive than the other Kindles, so you'd want to be sure that you truly want that model.

If you have a Kindle 2 (or I guess the original Kindle), there are a couple of ways to transfer PDF files. Amazon will convert them for a fee, or there are a few software solutions which you can run on your computer. Since I actually haven't tried any of them, I won't identify them, but try using "pdf to kindle" on Google.

The Kindle DX ($489 at http://www.amazon.com) can handle PDF files natively. The DX is significantly larger and more expensive than the other Kindles, so you'd want to be sure that you truly want that model.

If you have a Kindle 2 (or I guess the original Kindle), there are a couple of ways to transfer PDF files. Amazon will convert them for a fee, or there are a few software solutions which you can run on your computer. Since I actually haven't tried any of them, I won't identify them, but try using "pdf to kindle" on Google.

I don't think the kindle supports the secured pdf and epub files available from the libraries, just generic unsecured pdfs.

My husband thinks he wants the larger Kindle, though I've been trying to talk him out of it. Right now he's reading a book on mine; testing different fonts as he goes along. His reason for the larger one is that it holds more per page and he feels has less eye strain going back and forth. In the past he's had major eye surgeries, so I can't presume to know what's good or bad. I would love for him to try the large one, but don't know anyone who has it.

Eileen, are you looking in the right place? I just did a quick look on Evanovich and I see 15, 14, 13, 1, 2, 4, 7, 8. When you log into Amazon, go to the Kindle store and then do your author search.

Looked at Cussler. All his books are there too.

Oh, ok thanks, will have a better look. Probably having a senior moment.

I've wanted a Kindle for a while and asked for one from my kids for Christmas. HOWEVER, Barnes and Noble is coming out w/ the NOOK. It seems all the tech/gadget/geek magazines are LOVING this NOOK. Looks much like a Kindle but has similar capacities as the iPhone as far as format and "keyboard." It's $259 and basically has all the capabilities of the Kindle plus a few more such as sharing books w/ others. Over 1,000,000 titles, holds 1,500 books but you can get a chip and then it holds 17,500 books. The battery life (not charge life) is 2-3 years and you can change your OWN battery (supposedly you can't do that on the Kindle). It will be available the end of this month but NOT available for a while in Europe. Downloads are similar to Kindle, instantaneously via ATT 3G network w/ no fee.

Just another option. Nook has it's own website and barnes and noble online also has demos. You can also go to a B&N store and TRY one for yourself before buying. Nice option.

I've wanted a Kindle for a while and asked for one from my kids for Christmas. HOWEVER, Barnes and Noble is coming out w/ the NOOK. It seems all the tech/gadget/geek magazines are LOVING this NOOK. Looks much like a Kindle but has similar capacities as the iPhone as far as format and "keyboard." It's $259 and basically has all the capabilities of the Kindle plus a few more such as sharing books w/ others. Over 1,000,000 titles, holds 1,500 books but you can get a chip and then it holds 17,500 books. The battery life (not charge life) is 2-3 years and you can change your OWN battery (supposedly you can't do that on the Kindle). It will be available the end of this month but NOT available for a while in Europe. Downloads are similar to Kindle, instantaneously via ATT 3G network w/ no fee.

Just another option. Nook has it's own website and barnes and noble online also has demos. You can also go to a B&N store and TRY one for yourself before buying. Nice option.

There was an article a few days ago in a publicaton (might have been Business Daily) talking about how the Nook will not be forthcoming any time soon. It seems there's some sort of patent infringement which may result in a major lawsuit. You might want to research this further.

There was an article a few days ago in a publicaton (might have been Business Daily) talking about how the Nook will not be forthcoming any time soon. It seems there's some sort of patent infringement which may result in a major lawsuit. You might want to research this further.

I don't believe it's a patent infringement, it's a contract infringment. Nooks are still scheduled to ship Dec. 1. I doubt this will hold up the release, they'll just have to pay if found guilty to have broken the agreement.

You can get a waterproof case for the kindle.

Reading in direct sunlight is not a problem UNLESS your Kindle is defective. What is known as sun fade (the print fading after a couple of pages when read in direct sunlight is a known problem), so always check your Kindle in sunlight shortly after getting it. Amazon will replace instantly if it is defective.

Kindle supports a number of formats natively. Most notably Mobi which is now supported by Project Guttenburg, as well as, other sites. PDF is only native on the DX not the K2 (which is the International Kindle). You can translate pdf files into a K2 format. Your success rate will vary.

You can download books anywhere you have a computer and a micro usb cable. If you are somewhere that whispernet isn't working, you can download to your computer (from Amazon or any other source) and then transfer the file to your Kindle.

I got my Kindle in March and am a complete addict. I love being able to download a free sample of whatever has caught my eye. I am much more likely to try something new and different that way. Also, if I see something that looks interesting, I don't have to remember it until the next time I am in a bookstore. I just log into Amazon (can even do it from my phone) and tell Amazon to send the free sample to my Kindle -- wherever it is. Then, next time I pick up Kindle the free sample is waiting for me. Also, I can subscribe to a newspaper or magazine for just a few weeks. This way I can read the local paper for a couple of weeks before a trip to get a feel for the land. It downloads automatically every morning, and generally 2 or 3 weeks will be less than $5.

MIne will be with me on the Emerald sailing Feb. 28. My first Princess cruise, my first curise with Kindle. Should be fun.

Elaine

Norman, Oklahoma

I HAVE researched this further before my original post. Barnes and Noble (as of today) reported that the first batch of pre-orders are still due to ship on 11/30 but that they've had such a flood of orders that they anticipate a shortage and hopefully the 2nd shipment for pre-orders should go out a couple weeks before Christmas. This was from a Barnes and Noble rep on 11/10.

I HAVE researched this further before my original post. Barnes and Noble (as of today) reported that the first batch of pre-orders are still due to ship on 11/30 but that they've had such a flood of orders that they anticipate a shortage and hopefully the 2nd shipment for pre-orders should go out a couple weeks before Christmas. This was from a Barnes and Noble rep on 11/10.
The nook looks like a great reader. If I wasn't already swamped with readers I'd be on the list for one. As it stands, I'm happy with my Sony PRS-505, though the portability of the PRS-300 is attractive. :)

Then you might as well get a iTouch although I have no idea how those are for reading. I have a Palm TX which is good for reading and has more functions but also has more limitations if the main object is reading. I like the 505 and really like the PRS-600 I am getting DW for Christmas!

Did you know that you can download Kindle onto your Iphone? I have three books on mine now and more to come. And I find that reading on that little thing is great as the font is adjustable, etc. Lily

Thanks for the info. I just got an ipod touch and after reading your post downloaded the kindle app. and got a couple of free books. I was afraid it would be too small but it is great. I also downloaded the V pilot from itunes and had no trouble watching it on the small screen. Can't wait to load it up for my cruise.

Archived