Naples-National Archaeological Museum HELP

wack001

Folks;

I have read so many great reviews about the museum and wanted to get a take from fellow cruisers, planning to do Pompeii and Oplontis on my own, figure time to take in the museum, any thoughts, advise, is to easy to get to from train station?

Thanks

bob

Folks;

I have read so many great reviews about the museum and wanted to get a take from fellow cruisers, planning to do Pompeii and Oplontis on my own, figure time to take in the museum, any thoughts, advise, is to easy to get to from train station?

Thanks

bob

Hi Bob: According to Rick Steves, you can catch the Metro at the Naples train station and take it one stop to Piazza Cavour (from there it's an easy walk). There is a new Museo stop, but it's on a different line.

Ken

The metro supposedly is being extended to the port. However, this is Naples, so .....

I suggest asking about this on the Naples forum over on Tripadvisor.com .. the local experts can tell you if it is completed, in the works, cancelled or whatever. This would make returning the the ship easy.

That said, trying to do Pompeii et al AND the museum strikes me as trying to do too much in a day. It is possible, but you won't have the time to really SEE much. Different travel styles, most likely.

We felt we had plenty of time when we went both to the museum and Pompeii. We paid for a guided tour of the museum (10 euro each) which lasted about two hours, ate, and then went to Pompeii for four hours. I highly recommend paying for a tour in Pompeii so you know what you're looking at. The first time I didn't pay for a tour and the second time, I learned so much more with a guide!

Catch the Circumvesuviana train from Naples Central station (downstairs) to Pompeii in the morning, and then return to Naples to do the Museum in the afternoon, so you have the context for the exhibits. We walked from Naples Central train station to the Museum - it's not far (20 minutes?), but I wouldn't recommend it - too many touts (overwhelming numbers and pushy), and I often felt uncomfortable on the streets. My DH, on the other hand, felt just fine and thought I was being a little weird!

We have done both.....but different trips.

I would get to Pompeii as early in the morning as you can..... do a few hours there (say ... until lunch), with a guide !!!! then head back to Naples and have some wonderful pizza. Then head over to the museum and spend a couple of hours there. We were there about 2-1/2 hours and saw it all. Leisurely.

It was nice seeing all the things they took out of Pompeii (we did this first trip to Naples) and by going to Pompeii first and then seeing all the stuff....you can visualize in your head how it all fit in there.

Also....the best rule of thumb for doing your own thing in a port is.....

ALWAYS head to the furthest point and work your way back. That way if there is a delay, say traffic, train delay or whatever you are closer to the ship as the day wears on and easier to get back in time so you don't get left :eek:

I would definitely pay a quide for the National Archeology Museum. We went there last May on our own and they were out of the English tour book describing the exhibits. Plus, part of the exhibits were closed and the entire museum closed early (by noon) for some special event. Just our luck. Definitely, pay for guide in Pompeii.

I don't think that you can do Pompeii AND Oplontis AND the museum. It's just too much and I don't think you are factoring in the travel time between places, amount of time needed to get back to port before sailing, etc. Always best to give yourself a cushion.

We did Pompeii in the a.m. and the Museum in the afternoon, and I still felt like I barely had enough time in the museum to do it justice.

We hired a driver who I booked before we got to Naples. He met us at the dock and drove us to Pompeii where we met our guide he had arranged for us - GREAT guide! We were the first ones in the gate. Then he drove us to Mt. Vesuvius so we could climb and then to Naples for Pizza (Wonderful) and then to the archeological museum. Back to the ship in time to leave. Full fun day. Would NOT have wanted to try to do all that on our own. I grew up in South America (Colombia) and lived in Europe and Naples did not feel safe to me at all. I was glad to have a driver for the day. It wasn't cheap but for our family of 5 =including three children = it was the best option.

If I had to do it again I would not climb Mt. Vesuvius and spend more time in Pompeii. But DD 14 really wanted to be able to say she climbed Mt. Vesuvius so we did it! Good luck.

Is it possible to take the train to Pompeii (use tour guide), train to Sorrento for lunch (a few hours), then train back to Naples and do an hour or so in the Museum before the ship leaves. time: 8 am -7pm. Is this too much?

dalgirl, you could do it, but you'd have to limit your time and it would not be worth it if it was us. Pompeii can take anywhere from 2-6 hours if not days. Sorrento is worth a few hours, especially with a meal. The museum is worth a minimum of 1 hour, and that would be running through it or barely looking at it. Don't forget travel time as well, 30-ish minutes Naples to Pompeii, another 30-ish to Sorrento, an hour+ back from Sorrento to Naples, and thats if you have perfect timing for trains or hydrofoils.

It took us three hours to do the museum, it might take you less, we did look at everything there. We walked from Garibaldi train station to Da Michele (about 10 minutes) for lunch and then to the museum (about 20 minutes), I would probably get a cab from the train station or take the metro in the future.

Thanks nparmelee - I suspected that would be true. I talked it over with DH and he reminded me that I love museums and would hate to see Pompeii, but not see the treasures that had been found, so we have decided to skip Sorrento and the coast this trip -- I guess this means we will HAVE to come back again, maybe next year;) With such a port intensive itenerary this trip, better not to start out pushing too hard.

Thanks nparmelee - I suspected that would be true. I talked it over with DH and he reminded me that I love museums and would hate to see Pompeii, but not see the treasures that had been found, so we have decided to skip Sorrento and the coast this trip -- I guess this means we will HAVE to come back again, maybe next year;) With such a port intensive itenerary this trip, better not to start out pushing too hard.

That's the conclusion that we reached, too. We had arranged to hire to hire a limo/cab for a full day to Pompeii/Sorrento/Museum, but then changed our mind, fearing we might shortchange all three sites. So when we're there in early August, we'll take cab to Pompeii, where we've arranged a private tour. Then we'll return to Naples for a pizza lunch and some sightseeing around the Via Tribunali before heading off the museum.

By the way, Rick Steves' guidebook for Rome includes a section on Naples/Pompeii, which I've found to be very helpful.

Catch the Circumvesuviana train from Naples Central station (downstairs) to Pompeii in the morning, and then return to Naples to do the Museum in the afternoon, so you have the context for the exhibits. We walked from Naples Central train station to the Museum - it's not far (20 minutes?), but I wouldn't recommend it - too many touts (overwhelming numbers and pushy), and I often felt uncomfortable on the streets. My DH, on the other hand, felt just fine and thought I was being a little weird!

That sounds like a plan, ride the bus to the train station and the pompeii and work my way back. Figured I would buy the Articard 3 day pass and save, but the info on the card is so confusing nobody can give me the real deal and the website is fair.

Figure 2hrs in Pompeii + 30-45 minutes at the most in Oplintus, then travel time I assume is 30 minutes one way? it will be a full day of combat sightseeing.

http://www.cruisinbob.com

• 1 year later...

Hi all-

My family will be in Naples on Saturday, May 14th. Our port times are 7 a.m to 7 p.m. We are planning on DIY: taking the bus to the train station, the train to Pompeii, and then the train back to Naples to get some pizza for lunch. Then, depending on our fatigue level, we might try to fit in the museum in Naples after lunch. My question is, what is the easiest way to get from the train station to Da Michele for lunch, and then from Da Michele to the Museum? We have two small children (9 and 6), and will have walked our *** off the day before in Rome!! Thanks for any and all counsel.

Hi all-

My family will be in Naples on Saturday, May 14th. Our port times are 7 a.m to 7 p.m. We are planning on DIY: taking the bus to the train station, the train to Pompeii, and then the train back to Naples to get some pizza for lunch. Then, depending on our fatigue level, we might try to fit in the museum in Naples after lunch. My question is, what is the easiest way to get from the train station to Da Michele for lunch, and then from Da Michele to the Museum? We have two small children (9 and 6), and will have walked our *** off the day before in Rome!! Thanks for any and all counsel.

Good pizza is almost everywhere in Naples. If you're willing to give up da Michele, the following directions will get you from the train station in Naples (after Pompeii) to the Archaeological Museum. The link following lists a couple of good pizzerias in the vicinity of the Museum.

"

Exit the train and follow signs for the Metropolitana (subway); take metro in direction of Pozzuoli but get off at Cavour (one stop). From Cavour, it is a short walk up the street to the Museum."

Links to pizzerias near Museum: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k1160560-Good_place_to_eat_near_Museo_Archeologico-Naples_Campania.html

Good pizza is almost everywhere in Naples. If you're willing to give up da Michele, the following directions will get you from the train station in Naples (after Pompeii) to the Archaeological Museum. The link following lists a couple of good pizzerias in the vicinity of the Museum.

"

Exit the train and follow signs for the Metropolitana (subway); take metro in direction of Pozzuoli but get off at Cavour (one stop). From Cavour, it is a short walk up the street to the Museum."

Links to pizzerias near Museum: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k1160560-Good_place_to_eat_near_Museo_Archeologico-Naples_Campania.html

A possible source of confusion is that there are two stations which you can use in Naples to/from Pompeii. The Garibaldi Metro is near Napoli Centrale/Piazza Garibaldi, which is the next-to-last stop returning from Pompeii. The last stop is Porta Nolana, on Corso Garibaldi, walkable to the Garibaldi Metro, but farther than the previous station.

Similarly, when going to the Pompeii train, the Porta Nolana station is closer to the port. BTW, just to make life difficult, there are two stations named Pompeii. For the ruins, you want Pompeii Scavi, not plain Pompeii; the entrance to the archeological site is about 50 yards from the Pompeii Scavi station, just turn right coming out of the station.

Building on the previous post, to get to Da Michele from the Garibaldi Circumvesuviana stop (the next to last stop) is a little over a half mile walk, but requires crossing some challenging streets around the piazza.

From the last Circumvesuviana stop, Porta Nolana, the walk to Da Michele is just under a half mile and the street crossings are slightly less confusing, so I'd opt for that one if it were me.

You can make a google map using the pedestrian option to see the routing; in person it's more straightforward than it looks on a map. For the Circumvesuviana station use Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi, 389 and for Da Michele use Via Cesare Sersale, 1.

http://www.damichele.net/

To get from Da Michele to the museum you could walk up to Piazza Garibaldi and take the metro, but it's a lot closer to simply take the bus. You walk back to the main street you turned off to get to the pizzaria, Corso Umberto I. You'll see a bus stop on the island in the middle of the road, heading in the direction you walked to get there (away from the train station). You can get the C57 bus from there right to the museum.

Or, much easier, you can ask someone at Da Michele to call a cab for you.

Thanks for the help. Perhaps we will go with the plan of eating around the museum. That seems to make more sense with the flow of our day. Thanks for all the tips. Getting excited to sail!

• 1 month later...

dalgirl, we came to the same conclusion, there is only so much you can cram into one day on a port stop like Naples. We decided to do Sorrento in the morning and Pompeii in the afternoon, skipping Capri and the Museum for this trip. And like you, we'll HAVE to come back for a few days to do Amfali coast, Capri, etc.

Details on how to get to the Archeological museum and Da Michele from the port please

If you're walking, from Molo Beverello (the cruise ship port), follow Piazza Municipio up the hill. Once you cross busy Via Medina, Municipio will turn into Via Giacomo. Continue up hill until you reach Via Toledo, and make a right.

Stop at Bar Roma, at 325 Via Toledo for an espresso and a cornetto, then continue up Via Toledo until it joins and turns into Via Enrico Pessina. Keep on going!

Make a right when you get to Piazza Cavour, and the museum is on that first block. It's a long walk, mostly uphill, nearly 1.5 miles. You might have to snake around some streets....there was some construction when I was there, but pick up a Naples map and you shouldn't have any trouble (we used a Knopf Mapguide). It's pretty easy to find on Google Maps, the link below takes you to a set of directions, but this is NOT the way we went.

Link to Google Map / Directions

Da Michele was closed the day we were there (Sunday), but we did pass it as we were working our way back to the port through Spaccanapoli.

Link to Google Map / Directions

Archived