Asian Food in Main Dining Room

Chelly

On his very first cruise (on the Veendam), my brother was disappointed to find that there was no Lido Asian food station with sushi as there are on the vista class ships. He asked the dining room steward if sushi would be on the menu any time during our trip and was told that he had only to ask the day ahead of time.

Sure enough, the next night, a large plate of sushi was waiting for him at dinner.

Sure, doesn't hurt to ask! What you need to do is get a hold of the asst.dining room manager who has responsibility over your section (the gents in the dark blue or white uniforms, officers-type - They will usually introduce themselves to you on the first or second night). Ask him what you are looking for and see if he can accomodate your request. They will need at least one day advance notice; good luck! Of course, if he is able to 'get it done' that would definitely fall in the category of 'extra tipping' because the food you're asking for is not part of the regular menu;)

John.....

Thank you for the information you provided. I am a firm believer in taking care of those who go the extra mile to fulfill any requests that are not part of the normal scheme of things. It would definitely be worth a nice tip to enjoy a dinner of any of the items I mentioned above. Thanks again for your reply. I will definitely pursue the request once we are on the trip.

Well, I've never had goat meat but I was reading, I think the National Geographic (great mag, by the way) and I think it was mentioned there. You know, how different cultures eat different things. I found it fascinating. Not for me, though.

The stewards love it if you ask for some sambal to put on it! :) They'll bring out a big jar, and kinda watch how much you use, and watch your face when you take a bite. :D

And you earn their admiration for eating lots of it without much reaction since you are very familiar with it. They'll usually have a jar ready for you when you sit down. :)

Carol........ :( We took a step backwards. They no longer have salmon available every night as an option. It is now caesar salad, onion soup, steak or chicken breast. Used to be a choice of salmon, too, but no longer.

I'd love if they offered a plain backed sweet potato. I almost never eat white potatoes.

My Mom used to make head cheese, but she used pork roast instead of ... well, the other stuff. When our son was about 4 years old he told Grandma he didn't want to eat any of that "face sausage" - we still kid him about that!

I did eat goat on a shore excursion in Kusadasi - we took the 3 cities tour which included a luch stop at the Temple of Apollo. We were offered a choice of entrees - meat or fish. DH chose the fish (scaredy-cat !!!), while I ventured into the "meat" area. Turns out it was goat, and I quite enjoyed it. I can't honestly imagine any of the HAL ships offering goat on their menus! :rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

[quote name='Boytjie']Why not? They serve snails.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Right, but you can get escargot in almost any "fine dining" type restaurant. Goat? Not so much.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Smooth Sailing! :):):)[/FONT]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] They no longer have salmon available every night as an option.
[/B][/quote]

I sure hope this isn't a permanent decision... If there was one thing I could call my favorite HAL food, it was the "always available" salmon. It was my go-to meal if nothing else looked good. :(

[quote name='ger_77'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Right, but you can get escargot in almost any "fine dining" type restaurant. Goat? Not so much.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Smooth Sailing! :):):)[/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Baaaaaaad:cool:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='ore-ee-gun']I sure hope this isn't a permanent decision... If there was one thing I could call my favorite HAL food, it was the "always available" salmon. It was my go-to meal if nothing else looked good. :([/quote]

[B]Me, too.[/B]

[B]I really enjoyed HAL's 'always available' salmon and ordered it many times during a cruise.[/B]

[B]On our recent Maasdam cruises, salmon was offered twice on the menu but it had sauces or whatever. I always liked the plain, grilled salmon without fatty/fattening added sauce.[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Me, too.[/B]

[B]I really enjoyed HAL's 'always available' salmon and ordered it many times during a cruise.[/B]

[B]On our recent Maasdam cruises, salmon was offered twice on the menu but it had sauces or whatever. I always liked the plain, grilled salmon without fatty/fattening added sauce.[/B][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I'm really sorry to hear this. I used to order the always available salmon or chicken. I would imagine that salmon might be able to be requested without a sauce if you order it the night before. I sure hope so.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived